Sign in to follow this  
crassus

.50 cal attachment

I'm hoping you infantry types will tell me the nomenclature and purpose of the attachment on the barrel of the M2 .50 cal MG, pictured here.

I can't say 100%, but it looks like a type of BFA device.

"Blank Firing Attachment", its used on weapons that use a gas-recoil bolt, to let you fire blank rounds while still having the bolt function as it normally would.

If you fire a blank round without it, no gas is fed back into the system that drives the bolt backwards, hence it would only fire one round at a time before being manually cocked again.

It is a BFA. I don't remember the nomenclature, though. Basically, the M2 is a gas recoil-operated weapon but the gas created by the blanks firing doesn't let the barrel recoil as it's supposed to. The BFA basically creates a smaller hole on the muzzle to compress the gas sufficiently enough (in theory) to allow proper recoil. In reality, however, the Ma Deuce (and every other weapon, I suppose) with the BFA is pretty prone to jams. I've had problems with M2s, M60s, SAWs and the M16/M4 series with BFAs, but they've all fired like champs with live ammo.

Edit. That's pretty much exactly what Noon said. I probably should have read his post thoroughly first and just shut up and agreed... crazy_o.gif

Nah, that's alright. Better to have a second opinion.

I recall the BFAs we put on our M16s and SAWs, but I'd not seen one of a .50 before.

Thanks, guys.

I'm kind of curious to know what that passive sensor-thing on it is. Night vision or thermal imager with the lenscap on? Some kind of MILES attachment?

Looks like your second guess is accurate, Hellfish. It appears to be one of these without the front and rear lens attached.

And given...

- the rest of the mount characteristics

- how far forward the scope is on the weapon

- and the cabling running up to it

...I would hazard a guess that they're using it remotely from within the HMMWV it's mounted on, as the scope is able to feed video images into other devices.

I'd have said "heatsink" but then again thats just me wink_o.gif

lol, I can imagine it now

<nerd voice>

Ive got a .50 calibre M2 with 5 heatsinks, a thermal sight and armour piercing bullets

</nerdvoice>