Sign in to follow this  
Shabadu

Multiplayer 'Remote' connection problems

So whenever my friend hosts I have real problems connecting to him. I recently had to buy the GOTY ofp edition as I've lost my ofp cd's, when he hosted I put his IP into the 'remote' and sat there for about ten minutes while nothing happened.

I hosted and he could connect to me okay, but if I host then my framerate is into single-figures.

He checked his activity logs and it showed where he'd connected to me, but it showed no incoming traffic from my IP at all. So it appears ofp isn't even attempting to connect.

I've tried it without firewall, though it used to work before, and still nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? I've searched already and didn't find anything helpful.

Well, if you can't connect to him then i guess it is a problem with HIS firewall/route. Without more infos about your and especially HIS setup we won't be able to help you.

If your friend is not connected DIRECTLY to the internet, ie if he is using a router, he has to forward the server ports for anyone to be able to connect to him.

I would like to know a step by step on how to do that, if ya could give us something like that ill apreciate it

Well, you have not really given any info, especially if you are using a router, which model, or if you are using a personal firewall and which.

You have to enable the ofp server ports in the firewall. Those are normally port 2302 and 2303, both UDP. Then you have to configure the router to forward those ports to the machine running the server.

Eg if your lan ip is 192.168.1.2 you have to set the router up so that it allows incoming connections to udp ports 2302 and 2303 and forwards those to the computer with the ip 192.168.1.2. Those features might be called different on your router model, might be called "dmz" for example, or "virtual server" or "special applications".

Well the thing is, it's worked before. We had problems but after a while ofp would eventually spot his game. All with the same gear, I'll have to check with my friend next time about the router... I think he has a router, but nothing's changed since we last played except I have a new copy of ofp.