Sign in to follow this  
LT_Parker

Awesome Realistic Online Combat!

I would say the graphics in ofp were really good & I would think that ofp2 graphics would be even better! But let's think about online combat, guys running around fragging & respawning is getting kinda old, dont you guys think? Has anyone seen WWII online by cornered rat? The awesome graphics of ofp mixed with the awesome vast terrain of & gameplay of WWII online would make for a ground breaking new level of combat simulation. There are 4 million square miles of terrain in WWII online. The command interface & the squad participation is really the best I've ever seen. I long to see the best elements of these two sim come together.

I play wwiiol. Game is awesome, but unforutantely ofp is more of a scenario simulator as to wwiiol which is well...an all out war simulator with resource production and everything else. Though it would be cool...but probably not going to happen.

I bought ww2 online when it first came out and it was really fun. Unfortunatly they started charging to play online sad_o.gif which i hate. I feel cheated because i can no longer play with out paying. Ofp2 wont be like ww2 online though because it costs alot to keep a giant server going(thats why ww2 online charges)

I think that the CTI concept needs an upgrade. How about a sort of MP campaign thingy where instead of Conquer The Island, you can play Conquer All Of The Islands, like take control of Malden and when your done you can either have two options, invade Everon, or defend Malden against opposition wanting to reclaim it. Just a rather neat concept I would like to see in MP, transition of certian stats and etc through MP missions.

i think its two different kinds of trade-offs:

ww2ol was great in that it had the vast distances to fight across and large view-distances, but the downside was that the game didn't look too pretty up close. and thats not just with graphics; in order to have such a large game run smoothly, they had to remove a lot of the maneuverability which we have in ofp; anyone who has played as a soldier in ww2ol knows what i'm talking about. thus, its a trade-off in scale; the larger a game gets, the less resources it can use for details.

the second trade-off is between realism and "user-friendliness." in ww2ol you often have to travel for 10 minutes or more before getting to the war zone, and i had many experiences while in boats in planes in which i was flying or driving for half an hour before seeing another human being. and once you get to the war zone, you go down a lot easier than in ofp. its not so much that you are physically weaker as a soldier/plane/boat/tank, as much as it is that in ww2ol the victory most often goes to the person who has been camping in a spot for 20 minutes waiting for someone to pass by. of course this can happen in ofp as well, but in ofp you generally don't have to go through as much trouble to get to the warzone again.

i think its two different kinds of trade-offs:

ww2ol was great in that it had the vast distances to fight across and large view-distances, but the downside was that the game didn't look too pretty up close. and thats not just with graphics; in order to have such a large game run smoothly, they had to remove a lot of the maneuverability which we have in ofp; anyone who has played as a soldier in ww2ol knows what i'm talking about. thus, its a trade-off in scale; the larger a game gets, the less resources it can use for details.

the second trade-off is between realism and "user-friendliness." in ww2ol you often have to travel for 10 minutes or more before getting to the war zone, and i had many experiences while in boats in planes in which i was flying or driving for half an hour before seeing another human being. and once you get to the war zone, you go down a lot easier than in ofp. its not so much that you are physically weaker as a soldier/plane/boat/tank, as much as it is that in ww2ol the victory most often goes to the person who has been camping in a spot for 20 minutes waiting for someone to pass by. of course this can happen in ofp as well, but in ofp you generally don't have to go through as much trouble to get to the warzone again.

I don't think you have played wwiiol recently smile_o.gif action is much easier to come by and faster now thanks to some improvements, not to mention the game has better-looking trees than ofp smile_o.gif but ofp cannot and will never simulate wwiiol's vastness. wwiiol is a persistant mmo-war is always going on, factories being bombed, supply convoys destroyed...ofp is more of a scenario simulator rather than a war simulator.

P.S. yes im a wwiiol fanboi, I'm sorry I can't help it crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't think you have played wwiiol recently

wow, i just looked for ww2ol screenshots/videos and it appears that i've missed a lot of improvements (paratroopers??)  i think i'm gonna have to try it out again...

It's already possible to merge OFP's CTI style game play with WWIIOL large strategic layer, at least thats the conclusion I came to in the hours of idlness I had to ponder on it. Of course you would need a seperate exe to run the strategic layer and another to automaticaly generate the vast amount of map data need to represent huge campaigns. So it's probably just another one of my pipe dreams smile_o.gif If OFP2 allows you to connect to servers with games already running it will be even more practicle, assuming the server will be able to handle the logistics of an entire war.

The more I hear of WWIIOL the better it sounds, I play OFP over Call Of Duty becaues the scale out weighs the level of detail (Graphics\Sounds) you get in Call Of Duty. But yeah, the ongoing costs are the only thing thats stopped me so far.

The main issue separating ofp2 and wwiiol is the fact in ofp2 we would need a server that supports thousands of players like in mmos :P

I bought ww2 online when it first came out and it was really fun. Unfortunatly they started charging to play online sad_o.gif which i hate. I feel cheated because i can no longer play with out paying. Ofp2 wont be like ww2 online though because it costs alot to keep a giant server going(thats why ww2 online charges)

but its only the same if u rent a server in ofp u still have to pay,But in WWII online its not as much as a server rental, so i dont see what ur moaning for,

I play WWIIOnline usually because it permet me play as a cooperative team at real time against another players (no IAs) into a total complet map.

At OFP is some times more fun edit maps or play against IAs that play in a multiplayer game, because the map is too great to few players and only capture the flag is interesting to a teamplay.

I think OFP2 can be as "comanche vs hokum": a real combat but with more IAs

WWIIonline is a game without IAs, if you dont play in team you can think this game is worried.

At future OFP2 i wait play in a cooperative game against inteligent IAs as soldiers into a great war.

http://www.1spanishcompany.co.uk/

title_back.png

I think one great thing about OFP is that it had it's doors open to almost any idea imaginable, and everything was infact possible, but with pros and cons. The doors on OFP2 will be fully open, so your ideas likely can be done by the mod community if not the game developers.

Quote[/b] ]SpecOp9 Posted on April 25 2005,10:23

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think one great thing about OFP is that it had it's doors open to almost any idea imaginable, and everything was infact possible, but with pros and cons.  The doors on OFP2 will be fully open, so your ideas likely can be done by the mod community if not the game developers.

No truer words have been spoken.  

Everything that has been mentioned in this thread will be possible in OFP2 if only they allow joining in mission.  After that, all you need is a bigass server with a hell of a data pipe for the constant flow of players.  IIRC the islands are (basically) limitless in size, and if BIS follows common sim evolution, there should be no real limit on number of players except bandwidth. In my twisted mind, it seems like it should be a modder's paradise.