Sign in to follow this  
The-Architect

PC Zone Issue 151

I'm constantly arguing with friends and family about how great Operation Flashpoint and they always give me stick about how bad the graphics are. Well now I have a top PC magazine on my side. Granted the graphics are looking dated now, but who cares, the game simply rocks.

For those of you who can't or havn't seen the magazine's small blurb, here is a transcript from the section called "The PC Zone A-List".

< 3D ACTION/SRTATEGY >

"Operation Flashpoint Gold

Now available with the tricky Red Hammer addon, Flashpoint has become to tactical action what Half Life was to shooters. Fight on foot or in tanks, fly planes or even direct an entire platoon, this game is total war-in your face and on a massive scale. The graphics are an acquired taste, but they convey a sense of wide-open warfare perfectly. Its the ultimate military simulation, with stunning atmosphere and superb missions. Published by Codemasters and develpoed by Bohemia interactive."

it's the oldest game on the page, amazing how people continue to value its strenghts

alas, PC magazines should be pointed the way to the CP thread, they almast always post "OFP plain vanilla" style pictures that continue to shy away people

although I admit that OFP:CP has little to do with OFP's real gameplay: you never get to see the bolts and details on a tank, you engage over quite long distances

Odd that it's not the GOTY version they mention which is a significant improvent on the Gold edition rock.gif

I'm not a big fan of gaming magazines, I always get the impression that they mention what they get paid for

maybe they received a review copy of Gold Edition, not of GOTY?

I think the problem is that you can still find CWC or Gold in the shops while I haven't seen GOTY or Resistance anywhere for a long time already. I definitely think BIS should bugger Codemasters to release GOTY as a budget release again.

My local GAME has about 10 copies of the GOTY edition on the shelf. I saw someone buying it the other day after the guy behind the counter said he should get that instead of simple old CWC because it was much better and the modding community for it was pretty big... I felt like saying something but they'd think I was a weirdo or something lol.

graphics an aquired taste?

if they were just to see some of the combat photography pictures we have here... jeeze, i think the game looks excellent for something so old

What? Like That?

someone already thought of it ;)

I just got one of those copies as sort of a backup copy. The cd's says 'only for sale in the UK' but I bought it in Sweden.

Well spotted t-A,

I agree, OFP deserves so much more respect in the wider games-playing community. It makes many other "groundbreaking" games look like smoke and mirrors to me, and I sometimes worry that even Codemasters don't really "get" it.

PC Zone UK have always had good things to say about Flashpoint. I remember they ran early features in 2000 and last year an article "Games that changed the world: Operation Flashpoint".

As for the graphics...well, I'm still blown away by 16 colours and parallax scrolling wink_o.gif

Cheers,

Cornhelium

All this discussion about the engine ...

Show me one other game with all the features of Resistance by the size of MAP !

And the show me one other game where U can set the

Month day Time an u have a new MAP !

All other "COOOL games" have to PAINT their Maps new.

Other:

We byed RAvenshield:

Near a Startposition is a Hill But you can´t go up with sniper !

Sure Flashpoint Engine could be better....!

but at this time ONLY the BIS Enginge coult handel all this things.

Correct me if i am WRONG ;-)

Mfg

MCPXXL mad_o.gif

It's nice to see good ol' OFP gets some credits again.

It made me start playing the campaigns again biggrin_o.gif

I was'nt aware Mastertronic was still in business. When I saw that link, good old memories of C64 cassettes comes to mind tounge_o.gif

Pffft...OFP graphics is seeeeeeeeeeeeeeexy! Just put in a few nam addons, start a MP game with a good nam mission, play it with some friends, and you're in heaven biggrin_o.gif

OFP is the greatest game ever. That is, until OFP2 comes out.

Enough said.

most games i get bored with after 2months, this i have had for 4 years and i am still not bored at all! biggrin_o.gif

Ditto. That's why OFP is so great. So much varity and you always can still learn something new. wink_o.gif

Plus the graphics are tops, and the gameplay is beyond good.

most games i get bored with after 2months, this i have had for 4 years and i am still not bored at all! biggrin_o.gif

Ditto. That's why OFP is so great. So much varity and you always can still learn something new.  wink_o.gif

Plus the graphics are tops, and the gameplay is beyond good.

First time I've seen anyone on this forum who I agree with biggrin_o.gif The graphics are great IMO biggrin_o.gif

too bad OFP isn't really widely available in the low budget sales category.

Over at the Belgian telenet forum we witness a lot of young people picking up OFP:CWC, and then we have to tell them that Resistance or GOTY look so much better & opens up many more possibilities ...

OFP great graphics? Sure! But from looking at the current results at ofp.info, it looks like theres not much of a game left after you beat the campaign(s). sad_o.gif

OFP great graphics? Sure! But from looking at the current results at ofp.info, it looks like theres not much of a game left after you beat the campaign(s). sad_o.gif

Cold War Crisis

Red Hammer

Resistance

Retalliation [community]

FDFmod campaign [community]

those are one-hundred-missions you're talking about.

UT2004: no missions, just playmodes , good community support

BF: no missions, just playmodes, good community support

C&C Generals: 7 missions per team (21 total)

Halo: 20 missions, no mission editor

Farcry: 20 missions, buggy mission editor

Half Life 2: X chapters , good community support

yeah, I cant help it that invasion 1944 has been working for FOUR DAMNED YEARS on their phase one, I dont know why mods for other games simply release new versions and bugfixes, and the OFP modders release stuff "when it's done".

Y2K3 is at version 7.0 already, and it's fanbase is bigger then E.ECP's , I'm going to switch to E.ECP 1.075 the second it comes out, it simply looks better, but there is one problem: WHEN will it come out? and before anybody starts screaming "WAIT TILL IT'S BUGFREE" while bashing in my head with a hammer, LOOK AT WHAT I SAID ABOUT UPDATES!! I am (***) SICK of screens! i am (***) SICK of the "when it's done!" or "do you want a bugfree version or not?" or "they are spending their free time on this" I dont care about how great stuff looks! The only thing I care about is when it's going to be released and how the creator is feeling!

the Halo mod: awesome! that pelican is jawbreaking! imagine being dropped off with your team with a monster like that, problem: it wont be released till everything is done! there are over five sorts of units, each need their own set of 40+ animations, HOW LONG WILL THAT TAKE!!!

The RHS team, I used to drool over every screen they released, and imagined how awesome it would be to use it, now i just dump the screen in my "OFP pics folder" and browse on!

The Invasion 1944, like i said above: >>FOUR<< years have they been working on that mod! what results? a minidemo that was delayed because there was nobody to dump it all in a installer, WINZIP WAS CREATED FOR THAT!!!! for the rest, about the screens: see what I said about the RHS team,fantasies don't help anymore. How many reskins has that T80 gone under now?

ESLAII, most of their screens have found a way in my OFP folder, the technical looks great, but i'm trying to forget about it because hurts when I start wondering when it will be done. It would make a damn sweet addition to the resistance side i'm telling you.

Falklands, I am seeing two C130 units in their list: one is at 90%, the other at 20% , is there THAT much diffrence between the two? And the Stinger: it's d-o-n-e , it it kicks the BIS Stinger's ass why not release it so we can use it in our customised Y2K3 mod?

Humvee, I'm tempted in saying "HOW DARE YOU START A NEW MOD INSTEAD OF HELPING OTHER ONES!!" , but seeing that you are progressing fast, i've got some faith you're going to release something. let's hope for the best...

FDF, they released three versions of their mod, plus a desert module, and two reworked islands! it's labeled "the best mod for ofp" , It will never die, because it keeps releasing stuff!!

I had an early alpha of the Lowlands island, a couple of months later that island was released! and look! it's used! Allot of people said it was their fafourite testing island! My old clan made a HUGE training mission on it, using the entire island! tanks, infantry, sniping, dropping off, room clearing! artillery, mounted weaponry, everthing! (unreleased, you didn't asked for it...mwahaha!).

Our Weapons released their MI-26 ,tadaa! heck it's on the OFP combat photography thread at page 192 or something, beautifull screens, and the best of all: I could do thesame! Better! I could get in, open the window, and fly away!

aah.... with that said... let's pull myself together smile_o.gif Time for you guys to critisize my spelling or just immediatly leap at me with a knife smile_o.gif .

For understanding: to all OFP modders: I love the work you are doing, but sometimes... no... allot of times... I just lose intrest in your work five minutes after I seen the screens, cause in the OFP community, allot of good work stays on one person's HD, and with a bit of bad luck, the HD won't last till the release date... now that speaks for itself, doesn't it?

I have tried OFP editing, i've twisted a russian crewman's hand, i've deleted all objects on Kulgujev, i've made a supersoaker that shot allmost 45 degrees from it's course, i've made half a dozen of unfinished missions, it's hard, but you guys are far more experienced then me! you're doing this stuff for four years now! how come things sometimes come to this?! crazy_o.gifsad_o.gif