Sign in to follow this  
Albert Schweitzer

Best Games 2004: The Poll

while games like burns rally and Hl2 were really good.... Rome Total War totally blew me away... It nearly (neaaarly) caught up with OFP crazy_o.gif ... but not quite wink_o.gif

How can you say there weren't any good games this year? I think you people have a hard time enjoying games :P

Personally, I had a lot of fun with HL2. Farcry is up there too -- I believe both were outstanding games and tons of fun to play. I vote for HL2 though, just because I thought it was tons of fun along with counterstrike: source (what I like about cs:source is not as many assholes playing the normal version) and deathmatch. Farcry had really nice open environments which I liked.

tunnel-maps. I thought the year 2004 and OFP would have ended that chapter. Halflife2 is too linear as well and if this engine is not capable to give more space then throw it in the bin! smile_o.gif

The best thing about HL2 was the CQB part where you have some buddies to back you up and have to take out snipers. I should have played Vampires Bloodlines. I already loved Redemption and simply can't afford to miss Bloodlines! smile_o.gif

i voted for richard burns rally, soon after that i got it and im really satisfied with it. the best racing sim i ever played

pirates is (for me) just some kind of bad weather game which you can play if nothing else seems to amaze you (and i´ll get killed if my dad reads this crazy_o.gif)

made a little video about rbr that shows me racing after i came home from the cologne carnival (totally wasted),

not as stylish as kegetys driving but at least i was able to keep my car on the road biggrin_o.gif

dl here: http://hx3.de/files/team/burns/rbr-sabotage.wmv

HL2 got my vote...the graphics were amazing and the game is fun also. I can't wait for the mods (especially Insurgency biggrin_o.gif). Rome Total War, Pirates, and Riddick were really good as well though wink_o.gif.

HL2 had good graphics and physics maybe, but Riddick beats it hands down for innovative gameplay, characters, and story.

The other games, while still fun, didnt really catch on to me.

PES 4 ofcourse  tounge_o.gif

The only game in the list together with OFP that can get my attention longer then 2 weeks.

I mean, Halflife was great and very well made, but once finished ...

PES i play a whole year untill the next version and then i play that a whole year till the next version ... and i m not even a soccer fan irl.  It s very immersive ( dunno if that s the right word ) cause i find myself swearing tons of times during a match ( damn referee is soooooooo bribed by computercontrolled side ) and i think i wrecked about 3 gamepads in 2004 in frustration ... i m not kiddin'

So value and fun for money this is my best buy for several years in a row now. One negative thing, the pc version sucks bigtime, only good version is PS/2 one, dunno what it is but pc version is waaaay too slow ( if anyone has a solution for that lemme know )

Same with ofp, i play that 5 years till the next version, then another 5 years till the next  crazy_o.gif

Cheers

Innovation Awards

Innovation in Computer Gaming

Doom 3 (Activision/id Software)

rock.gif

Personally I'd say.....

1. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 (Winning Eleven 8 is slightly better but still)

2. GTA:SA

3. HL2

Can someone please explain whats inovative about HL2 and what makes it so "great" apart from the eye-candy and physics?

To me HL2 is nothing more than just another tunnel-shooter. No story, lousy voice-acting in general, no replay-value, long load-times and short levels, all scripting and no freedom, poor weapon-sounds.

<span id='ME'><center>Shadow puts on asbestos suit</center></span> biggrin_o.gif

Can someone please explain whats inovative about HL2 and what makes it so "great" apart from the eye-candy and physics?

To me HL2 is nothing more than just another tunnel-shooter. No story, lousy voice-acting in general, no replay-value, long load-times and short levels, all scripting and no freedom, poor weapon-sounds.

<span id='ME'><center>Shadow puts on asbestos suit</center></span> biggrin_o.gif

Nothing.. It's just what the first Half-Life was. They get the rights to use all the new effects and features invented by others and put them into one game.

<span id='ME'><center>EiZei Llauma Shadow puts on asbestos suit</center></span> biggrin_o.gif

Nothing.. It's just what the first Half-Life was. They get the rights to use all the new effects and features invented by others and put them into one game.

Except that scripted events and such were something new and fascinating when HL1 came out. sad_o.gif

One of the most vastly overrated games in my opinion but by no means a bad game, just an above average shooter.