Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

WRP Question!

Hi

I have a WRP Question, wasnt sure where to post it so don't bite me wink_o.gif

Is it possible to load real world map IE, Europe into WRP EDIT?

If so

1.How?

2.Has anyone done it?

Thx

Luke

yes, you can use the program "Wilbur" to import DEM (digital elevation maps) in to Wrp Edit.

There have been soom minor maps made this way (a desert map with no objects and out scaled hight values comes to mind find it at the first few pages of islands at OFP.info).

The main problem with this technique is that high detail DEMs (wich are needed to get good detail in the small scale of OFP maps) are hard to find and oftern have a cost.

If you want to import a DEM map:

1) load the DEM in WILBUR found here

2) export the map from WILBUR as a *.txt

3) Import the map in Wrp edit (all settings on "3" with the point marker as "." and NOT ","

4) the hight scale is likely to be wrong. This can be corrected by modifying the DEM in WILBUR before exporting it and modifying the heights in Wrp Edit. You will need to make all the hills higher and valys lower.

ie... Europe? Um... just how much RAM do you have? nm, OFP's buffer's don't got that far out.

You can run up to 102km by 102km, but only on VERY_LOW at the normal 50m resolution. That gives you a matrix of 2048x2048 cells. But you're still looking at an OFP footprint of 400~700mb minimum before addons. Not for the faint of heart.

Anyhow, the process you're after is to first aquire DEM data for your area of interest. Outside the US you're probably only going to find commercial data. Secondly, you need stuff that is no more than 90m resolution, and whatever you find will need to be resampled to 50m resolution. Once you do that, and select a suitable subsection, then you run it through Wilbur to generate a lat-lon ASCII array. Then you can feed that into WRPedit or WRPtool, or you can run it into a TXT2ASE converter for Visitor.

OFPEC has a lot of links, info, and proggies to handle it all.

Sorry about my innacurcys, its been over a year since i did any wrp editing

I once heard someone suggesting a map of the world in 1:1 scale in OFP crazy_o.gif

Oh yeah, one other itty-bitty bit of non-trivial data. Since the world ain't flat, GIS data ain't square. One end's wider than the other in RL, and you have some 'skewing' on the sides. Pretty much a non-issue though with 50m resolution on 12.8 km maps, but it scales. Just something to watch out for.

I was gonna try and get a map of europe into a 12x12 WRP map (Same as the nogovo map)

But i tryed wilbur and couldnt find a good euro map mad_o.gif

So i won't try no more sad_o.gif

I appologize for reviving this thread and posting in it even though it is in the wrong section, but I dont know where to go.

Where can a get wilbur v1.25e1? on the site there is only 1.40 and newer ones....please help me. thanks.