bn880

Bn880's Tracers V1.0

Version 1.21 is up, check first post for link.

Some performance improvement over 1.2, no visible/functional change.

This may be the final version for a while, hopefully. smile_o.gif

Bn got to say this addon ROCKS! Implemented it in Breakthrough.. Took control of a bradley with squad... ran into an enemy patrol at night and lit the place up. Tracers were flying everywhere. Lag was low. couldnt tell if the enemy was firing tracers cause they got picked off so fast.

Question on implementation. do I have to have the cfg file part of the mission folder. You state it is optional in the readme. Why would you include it in the mission folder.

Bn got to say this addon ROCKS! Implemented it in Breakthrough.. Took control of a bradley with squad... ran into an enemy patrol at night and lit the place up. Tracers were flying everywhere. Lag was low. couldnt tell if the enemy was firing tracers cause they got picked off so fast.

Question on implementation. do I have to have the cfg file part of the mission folder. You state it is optional in the readme. Why would you include it in the mission folder.

So you can config custom tracer color etc.

Hi!

As I saw tracers only visible when they are 40-60 meters from shooter. It is possible to see tracer effects earlier? Or bullets to fast to attach this effect to them earlier?

Yes the bullets are basically too fast in a certain FPS to see tracers originate exactly at the barrel. And the tracers have a special animation that needs a few ms to settle before it can be shown to you.

Such is life with low FPS and scripts/workarounds.

EDIT: In very high FPS missions, you should see the tracer coming right from the barrel.

I real life tracers start to burn after a distance, as not to reveal the shooters position.

Nah, that's when you soiled them before hand. tounge_o.gif

These tracers rock!  GJ Bn880.  They are even beautiful incoming...  crazy_o.gif

(Thanks to Wolfsbane also for starting (I think?) the advancement of tracers)

Hey thanks guys, that minigun screen looks killer. biggrin_o.gif

V1.22 is out

very small change but not compatible with 1.21 in MP, previewing and saving a mission will add the V1.22 dependency inside.

V1.22 Changelog:

05/02/2005

Small improvement to make AI spawn manager scripts more reliable with the tracer initialization.

Ah Thanks Bn. I added the tracer initialization to the weapons scripts in Breakthrough. It works for the allied side but we never see enemy tracers coming at us. Will this fix that.

Gunterland, that's my job :P

The problem is that Bn880 coding suxx0rs and he is such a n00b that AIOD and tracers = no go. You will have to find a way of adding tracers in the onspawnunit.sqf I suppose as they are forgotten about when units are put into stasis .... or something.

I am making Breakthrough v2 anyway now. Currently I have tracers on all vehicles and allied troops but am still harassing Bn880 to make some nice fix for me.

Yeah, I guess I'm too much of a wanker, what else can be said. smile_o.gif

Anyway, yeah Jinef will fix that up, I already figured it out for BECH so it does work well now.

Nope not very fixable. I have an algorithm in there to not ricochet off of objects when possible, but it's not all that good with the limited information the script gets.

I can adjust a threshold to not bounce off of most people/objects, but then they don't bounce off of mountain sides either... which is better... I tried to aim for bouncingoff of slopes slightly more than avoiding bouncing off of objects.

Bn880 and Jinef.

I want you two to know that you might as well considers yourselves a couple of pushers. I have 7 guys so addicted to OFP because of BECH and Breakthrough they cant stop. We play these missions probably 4 hours EVERY NIGHT now for the past month. They need their OFP fix all the time now because of your addons and missions. smile_o.gif

Hey Bn

getting an error with the new version. Says it cant find addon 122tracers. I have it loaded. FYI

There must be an addon conflict going on. I just tried it in a small mission and it worked. Then I tried it in Breakthrough that I have modified with other addons. I get the error message on my first shot "missing addon bn_tracers122", I hit ok then the tracers work. Go figure.

Okay, preview the mission with tracers, then save it. It should work then. smile_o.gif

I get the error too in campaigns, single player, PBO type stuff.

Hit 'ok' and they work fine. Not a functional problem, just a quirk.

Having trouble getting them to work for anything I throw together in the editor. I have the default man with the tracer event handler, and the .cfg in the folder too. Saved and played - no worky.. (the init field makes it work of course, but I wanted to have all man classes default to use them)

This version of update isn't the best one , The precedent one was more better than this one , because with this one , when I launch a mission or campaign by using this script in all classes "man,tank,apc,ship" I've something like "fade" and errors too

like bn_tracers122 rock.gif

it lags ...