Sign in to follow this  
KEVBAZ

Addon cd from ebay

Imagine, I don't know, say Shadow and the rest of Norway are cut out from the internet and he wants to download the addons. Obviously, without the internet, he can not download them. So he gives me a call and asks me to send them some addons on a CD.

Me being a student and thus on a tight budget tell him its not a problem, but he has to pay me the cost of the CD, the cost for packaging, and the cost of sending.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Thats a private act. Showing it at ebay is a public act.

This is about selling OFP addons which many addon makers haven't autorized/been noted on.

The addons are made for free.. not for money.

Put it this way:

You have just made a great program you wish to share for free,

but after a while a person tries to sell it on eBay for €3 +transport.

Now, how would you feel about that if somebody tried to sell your addons?</span>

BTW. Welcome to BIS Forums, Dfaman smile_o.gif

who really cares?

be flattered that he chose your addons, this guy is obviously a moron anyways to do this in the first place, why kick up such a big fuss about it...

think BIS even cares? didnt they use all our community's best addons in VBS (i heard that they did use BAS addons etc. - tho they may have paid some of BAS members who knows...),

...and sell them for shitloads of money?

how come noone was bitching at them? because we agreed before using o2 that anything we make in o2 is property of BIS? wow_o.gif wasnt that the deal???

anyways I think this guy is probably just an idiot, not a businessman.

It's not how much he made thats the problem. It's the act of selling free addons without permission thats the problem.

Well what I was trying to say is... hes NOT selling the addons. He is selling a disk that contains the addons...

If he opened a website and you payed to download addons... then that would be selling the addons. But buying a cheap disk that contains the addons? I really dont see how thats "selling the addons". Sure he should ask for permission first... but hey, its a way for the addons to get to people who might not be able to download them. Its really all just how you look at it I guess.

And Trenchfeet, no one was gonna bid anything over a couple dollars for this disk...... unless they were a bigger idiot then the guy who started the auction.

If i could weep, i would be weeping buckets..those were good addons and latest ones..all addonmakers time, efforts, and sacrifices to create free addons for others to have fun.

Doesnt seem right for him to sell it just like that, for $1 or if highly bidded to $50...but thats life - many will take advantage of goodwill of others.

Its no excuse that he sold only compilation to ease someone else's download time. We have many good ofp download sites, absolutely no reason to buy it from him. 56k or 300k download speed, u will still be able to download not that u cant.

He did it because he wanted to profit without a damn to the work of others, lets put it bluntly. He wont be the only one, there will be others too. And many will get away from it, for not many are honourable people. Its the real world...we had been sheltered for too long, even major arm forces of the world uses some of our free addons without so much as a thank you, some with even the cheek to say its a lousy one and that we should improve ourselves more to make for them better addons!

Addonmakers and scripters create addons free for others to have fun, to experience whats its really like holding a weapon, and to perhaps make them more cautious than a poor 1965 vietnam campaign newbie fresh out of high school.

We may allow modifications but to sell our work or any part of it is tantamount to abusing us as well as abusing others who may no longer get free addons for why should addonmakers sweat for others who line their own wallet? heck! even in a communist state, people who sweat still get food coupons!

Wasn't OpFlashpoint.org doing the same thing a long time ago? No one complained back then, don't understand why you are all getting pissed off now. It isn't right for one to make profit off one's addons, but it's not something that needs a four page forum topic with every other post saying "hang him" and "call the lawyers" - jesus christ.

lol! blackdog, the days of roll over and play dead is over. Everyone should be allowed to express how they feel over this new issue, including yours. No more standing aside and let others ride over u roughshed. This concerns not only addonmakers but also others who do not know how to make addons or the time to do it and getting the supply here-free.

American export of democracy at its best! tounge_o.gif

Beside the cost of the cd, shipping fee and cost of packaging, you also have to take into account the degrading of the machinery the cd was burned on. Also he has had to invest time he could otherwise have used to i.e. work, thereby costing him money, which he just charged the buyer. He doesn't earn anything, because not only materials costs money, but time does too wink_o.gif

It's only one cd, I'd agree if he was mass producing CD's, but the time wasted by most people here arguing about it. If you want to bitch about your addons being sold, go do it about Filefront, they charge $9,95, and they sure as hell are making a profit out of it mad_o.gif

If you want to bitch about your addons being sold, go do it about Filefront, they charge $9,95, and they sure as hell are making a profit out of it mad_o.gif

FileFront is doing nothing wrong. Had they not offered everyone the opportunity to download files for free, I would agree with you.

However, they're selling the optional service of having you select the files of your choice to be burned on a CD, even though they are otherwise offering them for free by download.

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever and they're doing a beneficial service to people who don't have high speed connections.

This is all much ado about nothing, I believe.

er just a though wot if

ebaydude=BIStudios ?

AGH NO !!!PLZ DONT BANN ME!! ;P

nah kidding

its sad really sad....

FileFront is doing nothing wrong. Had they not offered everyone the opportunity to download files for free, I would agree with you.

However, they're selling the optional service of having you select the files of your choice to be burned on a CD, even though they are otherwise offering them for free by download.

There's nothing wrong with that whatsoever and they're doing a beneficial service to people who don't have high speed connections.

So in effect you are saying that as long as I also put the addons on my site, then I can sell the CD for whatever price I like, say $20.

Because that is what my arguement was about. Not what services they offer, but at what cost wink_o.gif

So in effect you are saying that as long as I also put the addons on my site, then I can sell the CD for whatever price I like, say $20.

Because that is what my arguement was about. Not what services they offer, but at what cost wink_o.gif

If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

They offer you the option to get it free or pay through the nose. It's your choice.

What you're leading to is price regulation. Let the usual market forces determine this, not your zealousness to protect the freedom of OFP addons. biggrin_o.gif

its even got UKF addons in it.......... i have to admit its out of order...... however i spose if you have a 56K modem you may find this rather appealing....

Quote[/b] ]If you wish to edit or use anything from this or any future UKF releases, please contact us first to seek permission. If you do not gain

permission first, before using any of Project: UKF's material, it will be classed as theft and regarded as such.

im not sure how you would interpritate this but i would class that as theft

Quote[/b] ]If you wish to edit or use anything from this or any future UKF releases, please contact us first to seek permission. If you do not gain

permission first, before using any of Project: UKF's material, it will be classed as theft and regarded as such.

im not sure how you would interpritate this but i would class that as theft

I don't see anyone here violating your clause. No one's editing your addons and the implication of "using" does not sound like it includes selling a CD full of files for a resonably low price to cover cost, time and effort.

Uhm I remeber seeing some were that it is Illiegal to make ppl pay for a OFP MOD

I saw it on some page about BIS but basicaly BIS can get a nice layer man to get alot of money form that Guy  blues.gif

the thing sayed that we may make add-ons aslong as we don't sell them for money and if this guys is selling add-ons for money he is breaking the pattent laws

Uhm I remeber seeing some were that it is Illiegal to make ppl pay for a OFP MOD

I saw it on some page about BIS but basicaly BIS can get a nice lawyer man to get alot of money form that Guy  blues.gif

I can imagine the judge awarding a Euro to BIS for this.

See other people's replies about cover time, cost and effort.

I made this topic as people had a right to know that their addons were being sold on a cd. dont start having slagging matches over wether its right or wrong ect, just respect other people opinions on this subject

I made this topic as people had a right to know that their addons were being sold on a cd.

This is precisely the point. Is this considered addons being sold or a burned CD being sold.

Hey! I'll slag if I wanna slag! mad_o.gif

What's "slag" mean? rock.gifsad_o.gif

slag... woman who sleeps around

slagging off... to complain/chastise/take the piss out of someone

welcome to the wonderful world of new english smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

================

This is NOT an official addon. Use at your own risk. Do not blame BIS, Codemasters or PUKF for any damage caused to your PC. You know the drill.

You are permitted to install and use this addon for personal entertainment purposes only. Any commercial, military or educational use is strictly forbidden without permission from the author.

You are free to distribute this addon as you wish, as long as it is kept 100% free of charge, it is not modified in any way and this readme file is distributed with it. If you wish to modify this addon, please contact P:UKF at contact@project-ukf.com. If you do not gain permission first, before using any of Project: UKF's material, it will be classed as theft and regarded as such.

our new legal notice as it stands - shame we hadnt managed to get it into the DPM. Avon, although you could give them the benefit of the doubt that they are just covering their own costs, they are still recieving payment for something they do not have any legal rights to. A CD costs 10p... P&P for a cd isnt much more. I'd also be higly suprised if any of the addon teams concerned were ever asked... we certainly were not

if the guy had a website and he had a disclaimer saying this in non profit, you got 56k? no problem ill send a cd to you if you cover the costs, but it wasnt it was on a auction site.

er just a though wot if

ebaydude=BIStudios ?

Let's start compiling a list of former BIS employees. blues.gif

hahahha, im with ya blues.gif

The thing is...

Has this opened a can of worms now? crazy_o.gif

If I was to find out who did it I'd cut their bollocks off I tell ya..

@ Jan. 27 2005,14:20)]The thing is...

Has this opened a can of worms now?  crazy_o.gif

If I was to find out who did it I'd cut their bollocks off I tell ya..

mad_o.gif  ghostface.gif

lets just call this a one off and any one who sees this consider this a warning

you should think they atleast gave you all the addons for 20! crazy_o.gif

Man I got 15 gigs on meh second harddrive, you dont see meh burning DVD's!

Its getting rich over the backs of others! rock.gif People made this for free and what the f*** does a cd cost nowadays,...? If ppl buy this they arent well in the head... mad_o.gif