Sign in to follow this  
Homefry

Falcon 4

If you're looking to blow shit up, then yes FS2004 will get boring. However I personally prefer FS2004 to fighting flight sims.

I just got the FS Global SE terrain DVDs (waiting to arrive) and have installed a bunch of the addon airports (mostly South Pacific where I fly). I have the amazing PMDG 737NG/800/900 product that I almost exclusively fly (usually with the BBJ mod). I have my own "virtual airline" which I paint livery's for and apply to my planes. I'm thinking of getting the Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X, and learn that too.

With a few addons, FS2004 can be just as real as actually flying. Hook up to the VATSIM network and you are experiencing true commercial and general aviation without leaving your chair.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that if you add some ProjectAI craft into your FS that you can be flying with thousands of planes with no noticable hit on your system. Then you are really flying in the real world (load up a flight from DFW or JFK crazy_o.gif )

I love FS2004, its not a combat flight sim but i have enjoyed hours of leisurely flying about. Whenever my kid bothers me when im playing i turn to her and say: "Passengers are not allowed in the cockpit area. Please return to your assigned seat at once"

Which is usually followed by a reply of "Whatever" as she leaves.

I usually take off from either Honolulu or Tahiti and head to Belize, St. Maarten, or Japan. Time the take off right so that I get a nice long twilight. Throw some of my favorite ambient on (my VA being "Ambient Air") and kick back and relax. Nice quiet flight with only the occasional "Sunset 412 you are leaving my airspace..."

EDIT: EditVoicePack is another important addon...especially if you use ProjectAI planes.

The last 'leasure flight" sim I played was Looking Glass's Flight Unlimited 2 (still have it)

I remember it's single player missions has you uhhh...smuggle cargo. wink_o.gif

Falcon 4? How shall I put it...

<ul>[*]Falcon 4 is like playing chess except its funny

[*] LOMAC is like bounching a tennis ball off a wall

<ul>[*] F4 is like the aircraft carrier Nimitz

[*] LOMAC is like a kid's bathtub yellow plastic duck that leaks.

If you<ul>[*] Like playing complicated OFP missions using the CoC Command Engine - F4 is for you

[*] secretly wish for OFP2 to be more like BF-whatever - F4 isn't for you. Get a GameBoy or a new cellular phone games it it.

In short: Falcon 4 (patched up with either SP4.2+BMS 2.0 or FreeFalcon 3.x) is a man's game. If you have the attention span close to the excitation life time of electrons in normal matter, F4 will not suit you.

Jesting aside, F4 is challenging and isn't for everyone. But the sheer immersiveness of the (to flight sims unique) campaign engine is something to experience. Prepare to put in long hours of learning the switchology of the simulated F16 cockpit and enjoy it!

If you think OFP is buggy and quirky, you haven't seen anything yet tounge_o.gif