Sign in to follow this  
feersum.endjinn

Gmail invites for you OFP folks

thanks to feersum.endjinn i got my gmail account, now gmail loves me and i got 37 invitations to give away, PM me your email if you want an account smile_o.gif

Yeah, I think the gmail folks decided to finally try and expand this. I log in one day and suddenly I have 50 invites.

Yeah, I think the gmail folks decided to finally try and expand this. I log in one day and suddenly I have 50 invites.

Think with that kind of invitation amount they might as well open public registration and put some efficient anti-automation measures in place. crazy_o.gif

Edit: All gone! I might put some more up later.. but for now you can PM me if you want one.

Just found out how to give out invitations.

PM me with your email and real name if you want one smile_o.gif

Anyone noticed the storage space doubled recently? Last week or so I noticed I had about 1400mb free, now I've got 2061mb, and the log-in page suggests it will continue to increase!

Google has birthday, they added a extra giga becouse of that.

I never got a Gmail account becuase I have my own website and I am unlimited in number of accounts (only limited by space).

However, I did just come across this and figured that all of you handing out invitations might want to understand why Google is being so generous. It might change your mind.. or not...

Quote[/b] ]1.1 What is Google's Gmail?

Gmail is a web-based e-mail service offered by Google offering one-gigabyte (1000 megabytes) of e-mail storage to users, five hundred times the capacity offered by Microsoft's Hotmail (as of June 2004, although banner advertising-supported web-based e-mail services, including Hotmail and Yahoo! have or plan to increase their storage capacity in response to the competitive pressure of Gmail).

Gmail is supported by advertisers who buy keywords, much like the Google search engine's AdWords advertising program. Gmail uses "content extraction" (the term used in Google's patents) on all incoming and outgoing e-mail in order to target the advertising to the user. For example, if the user is having an e-mail conversation about applying for a job, Gmail might present the user with ads about online job search sites and resume writing services.

1.2 What is your position on Google's Gmail?

Gmail violates the privacy rights of non-subscribers. Non-subscribers who e-mail a Gmail user have "content extraction" performed on their e-mail even though they have not consented to have their communications monitored, nor may they even be aware that their communications are being analyzed. Subscribers to Gmail also face risks to their privacy; those risks are outlined below.

Source: http://www.epic.org/privacy/gmail/faq.html#1

Personally, I do not advocate any type of content extraction (especially for profit). Although I do endorse content inspection by anti-virus, spam, or similar (where the data is not duplicated and stored for other purposes).

Wasn't sure if anyone was aware of this.... I know I wasn't. Forgive me if there is another thread detailing this. (I searched)

EDIT: Bah.... I just found something similar in a one year-old thread (buried)...

There's always a catch. You didn't think they give away 2144 MB (and growing) accounts just for free?

I'm using Gmail as a handy online file storage. Quite useful and the whole content extraction thingy is probably useless for binary files. biggrin_o.gif

http://www.gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

I still use it, dunno, my correspondence with professors about courses, or with buddies trying to set up a paintball game, doesn't seem worthy of spying on. I guess my e-mail is mostly pretty boring.

You could always PGP encrypt the messages if you are worried about security. You could use Windows Privacy Tools (http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/), or a free version of PGP (http://web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html). Just generate a key and submit, and have who ever you're going to be sending stuff to generate a key as well, and give eachother your public keys. Copy and paste the encrypted text to Gmail, and send.

I still use it, dunno, my correspondence with professors about courses, or with buddies trying to set up a paintball game, doesn't seem worthy of spying on. I guess my e-mail is mostly pretty boring.

Same tounge_o.gif. If they want to read e-mails about me discussing OFP or school with other people, they can go right ahead...I don't give a damn tounge_o.gif.

I also have 40 something invites so PM with a name and email address if you want one.

I have 50 some myself, so PM me if you want invites...

I have 49 invites to dish out - So aye, PM me if you want some! smile_o.gif