Sign in to follow this  
hardrock

How do you steer planes in OFP?

Come on peeps, vote for stick . . .

Sorry for the inconvenience, had to rephrase the choices . . .

First of all, sorry for the similarity to the other current thread. This one is mentioned to help out addon makers on configing their planes, it's a useful info to know if there are many joystick users around when you config your plane to joysticks.

So guys, what kind of controller are you using to fly?

I'm using my keyboard and mouse.

With my old MS keyboard I could't fly any loopings or roles, but with my new Logitech Internet Navigator it's no problem.

Also I can't fly as precisly with my joystick as with m & k.

Maybe you can make 2 versions of your Eurofighter? :P

@ Jan. 19 2005,13:49)]Just Mouse and Keyboard. Much better aimg then with Joystick.
i mainly fly with m & k, cause i have problems getting the bird down when i am playing with joystick
defintly joystick i had to fiddle with the fdf mods planes to get them flyable with a joystick as they were a tad over sensatixve to say the least becuase they were intended for keyboard and mouse i believe
i find heli's easy with either m+k or a stick (easier with m+k but more fun on a stick )

but planes has to be a stick (especially if you wanna dogfight)

edit: must be a 3d stick tho

I don't have a joystick sad_o.gif
Just Mouse and Keyboard...
I don't have a joystick sad_o.gif

time to get one placie biggrin_o.gif

If you want something really cheap, try ebay, they got quite a lot of sticks. However, believe me it's worth the fun. smile_o.gif

Joystick only.

Much better handling.

Pointing stick on my notebook's keyboard. I haven't used a mouse on a regular basis since my first notebook PC, from 1996 until present.

I still don't have a joystick sad_o.gif

I'll delete the old poll later when people have caught up smile_o.gif

Rephrase the poll again. I need to select a choice that says:

Mouse and keyboard - I don't fly a lot but I really like flying!

Sorry Avon, placie would hate me for that one crazy_o.gif

Sorry Avon, placie would hate me for that one crazy_o.gif

Then what are you waiting for?! tounge_o.gif

I still don't have a joystick sad_o.gif

I'll delete the old poll later when people have caught up smile_o.gif

bugger i was halfway thru posting tounge_o.gif

i can reccomend buying a saitek cyborg evo stick (very good mid price range stick at around 30 of the english pounds)

i can aslo NOT recomend buying a logitech wingman extreme (shud be called a logitech wingman fall to bits)

or buy saitek x45 or x52 flight controls and build yourself a makeshift cockpit in front of your computer (they even have little yellow and black stripey flip up lock for yer missiles button ) tounge_o.gif

Only Joy for more realistic smile_o.gif But flying with some addons it´s pretty hard,so sometime I use mouse&keyboard

Especially for planes i would use a joystick. You can fly with mouse and keyboard and the difference is not that much with choppers, but with planes it's a whole new way of flying and joysticks beat mouse/keyboard by far when flying planes.

joystick all the way for fixed wing aircraft, although they are far more agile with stick i use m+k with helis, i never got the hang of the reversed slider thrust.

edit: 1 thing i notice a lot is that using m+k in 1st person is not very good for sharp turns in planes to chase AI aircraft, usualy, if im using m+k in a plane ill have to put 3rd person on to achive bettter turns, and thats not satisfactory, as i mainly ply MP, with no 3rd person and no crosshair. there are a few planes that fly well with both controllers...namely footmunch's planes.

I don't have a joystick, but than again I rarely fly an airplane in ofp, a helo once in a while.

I use joystick for flying aircrafts and mouse for selecting targets. This is really deadly duo!!

I use joystick for flying aircrafts and mouse for selecting targets. This is really deadly duo!!

you can always config a button in the stick as zoom\target selector (TAB in original settings) biggrin_o.gif

Jeeze people, just bite your tongue and pay the 30 Euro for a decent damn joystick.  You will never survive a OFP dogfight with a mouse and keyboard, I'm suprised most of you could even put up a challenge against AI planes with just mouse and keyboard.

Or...., you could just keep using the mouse and keyboard, then join an online OFP dogfight and make it very easy for me in the match to rack up a ton of kills.

Mouse+Keyboard, but now that you asked I think I'm gonna go find me my old joystick. Haven't tried OFP with joystick. smile_o.gif

I'm suprised most of you could even put up a challenge against AI planes with just mouse and keyboard.

We're just that good! biggrin_o.gif

you can always config a button in the stick as zoom\target selector (TAB in original settings)  biggrin_o.gif

Yes i have it done :P But i use my mouse to designate targets wich are not stright on my flight path biggrin_o.gif. I can move my head and designate targets even if they are on the side tounge_o.gif

mouse+keyboard and i fly a lot chopper and plane.

but i noticed, while in the first versions of OFP i crashed 50% of my time a plane on landing, now it does not occur anymore.

And that has nothing to do with having more experience, as i even landed at some high angle and high speed (and even on a side of a mountain) without problem.

Someone remember if BIS has made landing plane a very lot easier in a patch , as i am sure it was far away to be as easy as it is now ?

i use a Trusthmaster Topgun Afterburner, im from the time we used to play CFS2 with 56k modem, i played in a portuguese virtual air squadron.

Ofp plane dogfight realy sucks crazy_o.gif , im very used to realistic stuff wink_o.gif

Ofp plane dogfight realy sucks crazy_o.gif , im very used to realistic stuff wink_o.gif

well true I like realistic stuff as well when it comes to flying smile_o.gif

My piece: Saitek Cyborg 3D

I use a joystick for most flying. For me it's nearly impossible to fly using M&K. Thats what makes the hat switch bug so frustrating!!!

Mouse and keyboard for me.I have a Saitek joystick (almost exactly like a playstation controller)

I have tried to use it flying and you can roll and such better,and change views and look around easier,but then when I am back on the ground,have to keep switching back and forth and its annoying.I get the job done using K&M.

I kickbutt in BF42 ,mop the floor (mostly with Corsair of course) and people think I use a joystick but I don't.

M&K. I bought a joystick, didn't like it. Far too inprecise, and having to shift it out of the way of the keyboard when I wasn't flying was a ballache. With a joystick, I found it very easy to oversteer, if that's the word, and that means that as soon as I was chasing someone down with guns, I'd lose them because it was damn near impossible to creep the gunsight in front of them to lead your rounds in.

With a mouse and keyboard, I can dogfight with the best of them biggrin_o.gif

M&K. I bought a joystick, didn't like it. Far too inprecise, and having to shift it out of the way of the keyboard when I wasn't flying was a ballache. With a joystick, I found it very easy to oversteer, if that's the word, and that means that as soon as I was chasing someone down with guns, I'd lose them because it was damn near impossible to creep the gunsight in front of them to lead your rounds in.

With a mouse and keyboard, I can dogfight with the best of them biggrin_o.gif

You gotta know that that depends on the config of the addon, and that's also the reason why I put up this poll. You can configurate your plane that way, that you can steer it perfectly with M&K but it becomes impossible to steer with the stick, because you just got to move it left a few milimeters and the plane flies a few spins crazy_o.gif (FDF planes for example).

Then you can configurate your planes also that they fit perfectly with the joystick, like Footmunch's planes. But then the M&K-users are complaining about it being not agile enough and you know what I mean.

This thread should help addon makers to choose which way to go.

edit: 1 thing i notice a lot is that using m+k in 1st person is not very good for sharp turns in planes to chase AI aircraft, usualy, if im using m+k in a plane ill have to put 3rd person on to achive bettter turns, and thats not satisfactory, as i mainly ply MP, with no 3rd person and no crosshair.

We play without 3rd person and crosshair too. Maybe that should be taken into account when the question about which controllers to use are asked?!?