Sign in to follow this  
Uziyahu--IDF

Movie:  Cuckoo / "Condemned Sniper"? / Kylkylikki?

I just watched a really good movie about a Finnish soldier who for some reason was wearing an SS uniform, a Russian soldier, and a woman of Lappland. The two men stay at her place to heal up and get lucky in the process.

I was wondering if the title, which is something like Kylkylikki was related to the OFP squad of a seemingly similar name. You know the one. Kegetys is a member of it.

Is the translation of their squad name something like "Condemned Snipers"?

No. Full name of our squad is Local Defence Detachment Kyllikki, Kyllikki being a name of a woman and kind of a inside joke.

Name of the movie is "Kukushka", which means "a cuckoo". It comes from a myth amongst Soviet soldiers during WW2 that Finnish snipers were hiding in a treetops (which was untrue). You can read more about this cuckoo sniper legend here.

I wonder if other Rogozhkin's movies (Peculiarity of National Hunt, Peculiarity of National Fishing, Peculiarity of National Hunt in Winter Period) are known in Finland? If yes, what is the opinion on these movies?

I have unfortunately missed Kukushka, hope to get a DVD soon...

Peculiarity of National Hunt... Ville Haapasalo (Finn) is acting in those too. I can't remember seeing those movies, but well, I'm not such a 'culture fanatic'. Probably not bad at all.

The Cuckoo is available on DVD. At play.com it's 15.49 euros (incl. shipping), but I just saw it before xmas in cheapo-bin at local mall for 8.90 euros. So there's chance to get it cheaper from other merchants.

The Coockoo movie was very good. The fact that all three main characters spoke different languages made for some interesting (and hilarious) situations.

As for the 'Peculiarities' series, I'd only recommend the first one - "The Peculiarities of National Hunting", which was great. Our ...ahem hunting culture in all its glory. And who can forget the airdropping of a cow from a Backfire episode. That was just too much...  biggrin_o.gif

@Blaegis: My favourite is the scene from "Peculiarities..." in which the poor badly drunk Finnish writer goes outside the hut, looks at the blue Mother Earth shining on the dark sky over the birch trees, commenting it "It's not visible from Finland." biggrin_o.gif

SmartDrv, thanks for info on the DVDs. I will try to search shops in Czech Rep. first, but it seems that contemporary Russian culture is ignored in my country. crazy_o.gif

SmartDrv, thanks for info on the DVDs. I will try to search shops in Czech Rep. first, but it seems that contemporary Russian culture is ignored in my country. crazy_o.gif

They're probably still smarting from 1968, eh?

I just watched the Special Features of "Cuckoo". Anni-Kristiina Juuso, who is evidentally quite a hottie, in the "Making of..." mimics a Cuckoo clock at the end. Its pretty cute.