Sign in to follow this  
zayfod

ECP 1.075...The countdown begins.

We'll STFU.

Such a comment is flaming/flamebaiting, any repeat will result in a post restriction and warning level.

Aboot the 3d craters:

Is it a model on the ground, or an actual depression from ground level?

OFP's engine as it is doesn't support any kind of true geometric terrain deformation, so it's a model.

I'm not exactly sure how Zay has it working since I haven't seen 1.080 yet, so that's about all I can say.

Does the blinding-effect from the grenades effect the AI as well?

Nope. It's a visual effect. It only lasts for a second or two, and it really isn't something you have to worry about unless you have a near death experience.

An interview with Homefry on ECP is up at OFPEC

Stop spamming shadow tounge_o.gif , i mean macguba already posted this (see the top of the page).

Gandalf grenades in ECP for now are handled VERY well considering how crap OFP is with small objects and particle collision , i've seen nades do roll overs and will go down hill if you drop them with a bit of speed from a top of a hill , if you throw them with not much speed and on a flat surface it'll lay still smile_o.gif .

The FFUR pack v5.0 uses 2 kinds of grenades , a grenade which bounces several times before exploding and a grenade which rebounds linearly 2 times before exploding.

the first boucing effect's intended to the grenade M61

and the second bouncing effect's intended to the soviet F1 grenade

It has been done for more realism

smile_o.gif

An interview with Homefry on ECP is up at OFPEC

Stop spamming shadow tounge_o.gif , i mean macguba already posted this (see the top of the page).

Gandalf grenades in ECP for now are handled VERY well considering how crap OFP is with small objects and particle collision , i've seen nades do roll overs and will go down hill if you drop them with a bit of speed from a top of a hill , if you throw them with not much speed and on a flat surface it'll lay still smile_o.gif .

The FFUR pack v5.0 uses 2 kinds of grenades , a grenade which bounces several times before exploding and a grenade which rebounds linearly 2 times before exploding.

smile_o.gif

But gravity doesnt discriminate between grenades just because they are NATO/Soviet ones biggrin_o.gif , i mean whatever the terrain should be like the nades would move accordingly or am i missing something here?

lol , yeah that's sure but as you know OFP engine's limited , I mean that that's impossible to carry out a script which detects the used terrain in the goal to define the boucing way and the number of rebounds of the grenade.

so this is the main reason which push me to introduce a different script for each grenade.

It gives a touch of realism and it improves a bit the gameplay though smile_o.gif

Edit : /ps : Moreover in the incoming FFUR 5.0 each grenade will have a different timing before exploding and a different power of explosion like in real life wink_o.gif

Best regards

Thunderbird84

smile_o.gif

I'd just like to point out that the F1 granade has a 1.5 secs delay before detonation, so imo for more realism you should just time the granade... As for the US granades, if they're similar to the israeli granades, they should have a 4.5 secs fuse... smile_o.gif

I know you've all heard this a zillion times, but we are getting there...

If I were to guess I'd say ~2-3 weeks unless something unforseen comes up.

thank you very much for giving a relatively concrete time frame.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be accurate at least it is some indication of 'when' to keep a look out and stops this silly popping in daily to see what the hell is happening.

will look back here then. smile_o.gif

so will the server crash if some ppl using other version of ECP, or not using at all? rock.gif

so will the server crash if some ppl using other version of ECP, or not using at all? rock.gif

I think there are incompatability issues if people log-in using different versions of ECP (but then why would anyone wanna use the old one compared to the new wink_o.gif ) , non-ecp folks can play with ECP folks i think no crash there.

Now I'm flooding this thread again!!! wow_o.gif

Just to say that I LOVE ECP!!!

You guys rock! BIS should pay you!

No wait.. Codemasters should pay you!

Anyway... thank you so much for you wonderful work of reviving OFP!

Guys, i got to say this mod has made OFP a better game.

you guys did so much great work !

Now, another 1.080 will make it even BETTER !

I would say the same for FFur. but it wont work for me...

i have to wait for 5.0 to say any thing about there mod.

Thank you for doing so much for us. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I just read the interview over at OFPEC. Very interesting. Just as everyone I'm really

looking forward to ECP 2. But I'm concerned about the size of the File. For various

reasons I'm at the moment at 56K and won't be able to download a big chunk of several

hundred Megabytes.

Not that I expect it to be that big though, but could someone of the

developers give an approximation of the file sizes to be downloaded ?

The core itself is roughly around 5 or so megs if I remember correctly... maybe 10. The point is... it isn't a problem to be used with 56k (it's how I downloaded it... wink_o.gif ).

The things that are big are the Dynamic Range sound packs.... but they use an optional config so you don't have to use them anyway.

Thanx Homefry for the quick answer.

I never used the dynamic Range sound packs with the current ECP .

I`m using INQs weapons pack instead.

So my new map called 'Soram' is nearly completed. Now it only needs a good mod to play with smile_o.gif

It's very quiet the last few days, are you guys hard working?

Is there any news?

biggrin_o.gif

I'd just like to point out that the F1 granade has a 1.5 secs delay before detonation, so imo for more realism you should just time the granade... As for the US granades, if they're similar to the israeli granades, they should have a 4.5 secs fuse... smile_o.gif

Well, ECP is not goin to be that realistic. The current definition of the russian F1's fuse is 3.2 second, according to a few military sources available on net. However, the grenades don't have static fuse delays, neither static fuse modes: i.e.: the RGO, which we will be featuring, has the ability to be set with impact fuse, 3 second fuse or booby trap fuse (about 10 seconds). For a matter of simplicity and MP compliance, we limited the grenades to a single fuse mode with an average delay of 3~4 seconds, depending on the grenade!

The good news about the fuse delays is that they're going to be slightly random, varying in one second, either in SP or MP.

The bad news are that these grenades are not very stable, due to OFP engine limitations.

----------------------------------------------------------

Aboot the 3d craters:

Is it a model on the ground, or an actual depression from ground level?

OFP's engine as it is doesn't support any kind of true geometric terrain deformation, so it's a model.

I'm not exactly sure how Zay has it working since I haven't seen 1.080 yet, so that's about all I can say.

It's quite basic: a 3D model, looking pretty much like an impact crater, that's is set on the ground and which gets addapted to the terrain configuration. The player can, eventualy, get into the crater in order to shield himself from light enemy fire. I must warn you, though, that the model is pretty rough... :P

----------------------------------------------------------

Demystifying the "AI view obstruction resorting to invisible models" (either through BAS', ECP's or other models):

The blocking smoke is a quite appreciated simulation, thanks to its advantages during combat - when, before, it was but a disadvantage. However, some preach that it is useless: just like placebos(1). Why?

During engagement, the OFP AI takes a reference from the target's position. When the target moves, the AI follows it by updating the reference, OR, when the reference is not available - i.e.: the target gets behind a building - the AI recreates a virtual path (I suppose it is a linear one, perhaps varying on the sense, but not in the direction). Sometimes, it guesses the target's direction. Sometimes, it may even fire at the virtual reference - rarely hits, but does!

Placing a well modelled building has the same effect as placing a well modelled invisible object - what counts is the View Geometry. BAS' model, for example, block's AI view, aswell as it doesn't let the game render some objects behind it. In such situation, all we see is ground and a few map objects. Fortunately, it has been corrected and might have already been made available by some modder - we will.

- So, does it work after all?

Yes, it does, as long as the model has been well modelled. HOWEVER, the units beyond the invisible object, might still engage at their targets, due to the virtual reference.

- But I have evaluated AI's behaviour through "switchCamera" and realised the AI can really see through the buildings!

No, it can't, unless the building is not well desingned. It has to do with Geometry OR View Geometry desing - the model must obey a few aspects - which I'm not aware of. One of them, if I'm not mistaken, is related with Memory LOD and animation configuration, but that's for real designers. tounge_o.gif

So, got it? It works, somehow, and may even look quite realistic watching the AI shooting "randomly" towards a virtual reference behind the smoke... biggrin_o.gif

P.S.: The facts posted are not asumed as true, but experience has been telling us that things work somewhat as described. Just enjoy the placebo effect ;)

(1) - Hey, guys, don't missunderstand me here!

(1) - Hey, guys, don't missunderstand me here!

Whoops, the evil thought already passed my mind. Stupid me. wink_o.gif

Anyways, I'm excited about the mod like anyone else, though I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. At the least, I look forward to optimised code and nice sounds to go with them.

Still, the interview said that the release is soon, so I'll check everyday if its out. tounge_o.gif

A T-80 firing its cannon.

fire1.jpg

Notice the shock wave and the brightness from the weapon's flash.

An exploding BMP.

explo1.jpg

The M1A1 that's firing was not the one who caused the explosion, otherwise, it would be desynchronised. It stands there for effect purposes. biggrin_o.gif

An exploding BMP (diferent point of view).

explo2.jpg

Watch the 3D crater... rough, uh?

The crater's really awesome , a script which allows to the P3D to appear at "hit" or "fired" I guess. smile_o.gif

thats some cool stuff!!! wow_o.gif

Damn the crater was just as i dreamt it was going to be. really cool smile_o.gif the model maybe rough but it does the job wink_o.gif what if you had like 50 of those in a mission after a huge tank and infantery battle biggrin_o.gif

can't wait to use the laser rangers using the craters as fox holes in my coops avoiding russian mg fire tounge_o.gif

btw the craters when they have been created do they stay there for a certain amount of time or forever? smile_o.gif

wondering if the craters could be used tactically / strategically in battles ghostface.gif