Sign in to follow this  
mrbean1112

Has anyobody tried 3d Glasses?

Has anybody tried playing operation flashpoint in those 3d glasses i always see on ebay? they are only like 50$ and i was thinking about getting a pair. Has anybody tried them? if so, how are they? is it really cool and stuff?

dont waste your cash

They kill refresh rates

And Search before you post

Agreed, it is a waste of $. Go buy a VBS1 module instead tounge_o.gif.

Having just installed VBS1, I can tell you that it's anything but a waste of time. Very impressive core soldier units and addons.

But it costs a small fortune. So shovel some snow (NY) or mow some lawns (CA) and save up. smile_o.gif

or for use ppl at uni, i can always make use of my lovely student loan biggrin_o.gif

I used 3 years ago old glasses for my GF2 deluxe which coasted 500-600 bucks when i was new. It was cool to have them, you could actually touch objects that looked as they was outside your screen, with the finger, really cool. But they was very uncomfortable to wear. I don’t know if the others are that good. 50$ seems like peace of crap too me.

This is a new version of it asusv8200ti5_05.jpg

new and new but

REVIEW DATE: 01.29.02 Product: Asus AGP-V8200 Deluxe

Price: $390 street

Specifications: nVidia GeForce3 Ti 500 chip, 64MB DDR SDRAM

might go under a diffrent name now

thanks ya all, i guess im not gonna buy them. Dang i was really looking forward to having some 3d gaming. So everyone thinks i shouldnt get them?

Well i dont know, i meant for them for other games as well, because half life 2 would probably be pretty cool, i dont know. I gotta think about this. I was thinking about buying vbs1 but i dont think i am going to, it will cost too much and since it is only for ofp, it wouldnt last me for very long, considering i was saving up for a few other things.

if you want to know if 3d glasses are for you play your favorive 3d game and blink as fast as you can as you look at the screen to simulate the vast drop in refresh rate. If it doesnt annoy you after 3 weeks than go buy them!

Does anyone know any brands tat dont lower the refresh rate? lol

The thing they do is to half the refresh rate. Every second frame is for the right side and vice versa. The only solution is to get a monitor with a high refresh rate. lol

ok, what is a high refresh rate? ex 400, i dont really know too much about refresh rates except what they do.

ok, what is a high refresh rate? ex 400, i dont really know too much about refresh rates except what they do.

I think the normal refresh rate people use is 65-75hz.. LCD screens usually dont have a high refresh rate but if you have a big CRT monitor you can often run at up to 100hz or more with a pretty high resolution.

Just do a test with lowering your refresh rate to the lowest and compair it with the highest. Low refresh rates gives you a headache because of the flickering.

I think that the glasses can NOT be used with LCD screens. Refresh rates depend on your type on moniter and your graphics card. As well as the settings chosen in your OS and/or the settings chosen in any full screen programs you are useing. 65Mhzcauses headaches and in some cases can cause dammage to your eyes. Hight quality moniters can achive 120+Mhz. As the glasses half the refresh rate it is highly advisable that you moniter and graphics card should be able to achive at least 120Mhz. You may wish to consider that the gasses usualy require additional work from your CPU and graphics card and cause significantly reduced image quality that will make it Very difficult to read text in 3d applications.

You should also not hope for IMAX quality 3d either. Almost all games are made for use on a 2d moniter and many games do not adapt well to 3d glasses.

Its a shame, but truly 3d graphics are ahead of the time. sad_o.gif

Since my thread go locked.. I guess I have to ask here then.

Could anyone that acctually use these glasses please say something about them?

I've been searching all the OFP-forums for info on them. But you can't find anything else but people going "Buy VBS1" or "Upgrade your hardware instead".

So..

Please. Anyone that uses the eDimensional 3D Glasses.

Could you tell me what it does for Operation Flashpoint?

Also, there is a new version out now, that works on TFT.

Well, i did use them sometimes. First, most of these glasses only work with nvidia cards. I will not start the the "ati makes crappy drivers" debate here, but with ati you don't even have to try.

Even with nvidia you have to use driver versions which support 3d. Go to nvidias site and look for customer 3d. They make only 1 or 2 driver versions per year for those glasses. Mind you, i never update my graphics card drivers anyway, as they always optimize for newest hardware only and my graphics card is "old" when i buy it.

I am not the guy to get headaches/nausea when i have low refresh rates. But some people do. Others have motion sickness and can't play 3d games at all. For some motion sickness gets triggered by special circumstance like dominance of specific colors in a game. You might try if you can stand using 3df glasses for a longer period of time.

There is one other limitation: those glasses need a 3d scenario to render 3d pictures. This isn't as much a problem with newer games, but ofp is not exactly new. The game looks astonishing in 3d, it jumps out of the monitor and is pure beauty. BUT i was never able to hit anything because both the crosshair and the sights are not real 3d graphics and get rendered anywhere else but not where they belong in 3d.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you are looking for and there are some used eisa 3d glasses for like $5 on ebay and you can never go wrong with that price. Maybe you get used to the aiming better than i did. And the game looks really fantastic. It IS playable, i played mp games in 3d. But for me not being able to hit as well as i was "in 2d" made it not desirable to use my 3d glasses anymore. At least in ofp. This point is moot with other "real 3d" games.

Regarding tft: i don't know how they should work with tft, but well, you never know, maybe they do now. Mine didn't. Maybe it's a driver issue and with newer drivers they would.

@reedkiller: monitor refresh in Hz, not in Mhz. And even 120Hz is unusual, at least when you run a higher resolution than 800x600. I play on 1600x1200 and if you find a crt that runs that resolution at 120Hz than tell me how much it costs...

Thank you so much!

Well... The glasses I'm getting actually do work with TFT. It says so in the store.

Also they have the "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER"-speach at the online store.

So if I'm not pleased I guess I could easily return them.

Thank you. That was very informative!

Saying that tft screens would have a much higher refresh rate is wrong, isn't it? Mine is set at 60 hz and it doesn't give any of the problems a crt @ 60 would give.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the way I understand it, the tft only has to change the "pixels" when the pixels themselves actually change, contrary to a crt where the image has to be update continuously.

If you set 60hz on a crt you'll have a headache in notime goodnight.gif

I would not recommend stereo shutters. (that's what they are). If you ever want stereo vision, just get actual self contained VR goggles/monitor. Very expensive and the only thing that will actually look properly.

With monitors having their phosphors at what they are, you will be lucky not to see any shadowing, image quality will kinda blow in high contrast.