BOP_101TFS

Realistic Mission Making Resource Thread

This is a great thread. I still find Snypirs tutorial mission in ofpec to be one of the best missions even though it's supposed to be a tutorial smile_o.gif.

I also like to see missions according to lines in the real army, with realistic platoon maneuver and operations. Too many times I end up running alone in OFP missions.

To my question. There's an awful amount of information about the US army which is good but what seems to be lacking is some detail on Russian units. I don't mean army or battalion level but rather platoon (or at least company) level . For ecample -Russian VDV platoons, how are they composed and what sort of missions they are likelly to undertake? Same with Motorized infantry, what support vehicles are they transported in etc. What tactics do they use and so forth.

Lastly it would be great to see more tutorials like Snypirs. In the lines of "Typical Mechanized Op", "Typical Airborne operation", "Standard practice for armored assaults" and so forth. A bit like Killfish drawings but realised as mission. It was along time since I was in the army and I was in supply so my knowledge is less than I would like.

Btw. Those vignettes are really wonderful. I have lurked here for along time but missed both those and this thread.

BM

Those tactical vignettes would make amazing missions.  Im drooling just looking at them.  Hey, you guys seem to be into the realistic side of this game, interested in contributing to Operation Trident?

http://www.freewebs.com/operationtrident/index.htm

You missions seems quite interesting but I couldn't find a download section. Or are they still under developement?

marcus

are there any docs' about us special forces and behind enemy lines stuff? like what to do and stuff like that? im not a military expert so tounge_o.gif

Check the globalsecurity page. They have just about everything regarding that.

marcus

i don't know if this should really go here but anyone can help me out with what roles a radio operator in a SF squad does except for calling in CAS? and any1 got any nice scripts for those things, i want my group leader to be able to use the radio dudes radio only when he is 2 meters away from him and by using the action menu,

tounge_o.gif

I'm definately not SF, but I recently served as an RTO in a light infantry platoon. The US Army infantry has different RTOs for different purposes. At the platoon level, there are often two RTOs. One RTO is an organic assest, and is the platoon leader's link to the rest of the company. (At the platoon level and below, squads and teams communicate with ICOMs: often similar to the cheap two way radios sold at stores Walmart.)

Platoon level RTOs are responsible for sending and recieving situation reports (SITREPs), operations orders (OPORDs), warning orders (WARNOs), sensitive item reports, liquid, ammo, casualty, and equipment reports (LACE); and spot and salute reports. They also keep time on the objective, record enemy prisoner of war (EPW) information, coordinate with air and ground transportation assets, and call for mortar fire.

The second RTO is usually an attachment, one of two forward observers for feild artillery. These forward observers are capable of calling in army, airforce, and naval aviation air strikes as well as naval gun fire, but the US Air Force also has their combat controllers, who specialize in lasing targets for airstrikes, and I understand they are often attached to SF units and exist in the Rangers.

Hope that answers your question.

~TA-50

I've searched and searched but I still can't figure out what the hell a marksman do. I think it's some sort of decoration you get if you're a skilled rifleman but I dunno... Could someone clarify things up a lil'? What is a marksman, what's his job and what seperates a marksman from a rifleman?

Thanks! smile_o.gif

Here and here (espacially the part between words "definitions" and "background") you'll find some info about marksman/sharpshooter. Is it enough for you or want some more?

EDIT: the second link is in general about sniper's role and tactics so if someone is about to make a sniper mission I suggest to read it.

I guess you forgot something -

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO CREATE THEIR OWN TACTICAL DECISION MAKING MISSION, PLEASE CREATE A TOPIC FOR IT IN THE USER MISSIONS AREA OF THE FORUM! POST SOLUTIONS THERE.

Btw, where I can find your mission? I'd like to play it - if it's really a tactical decision mission.

You know what would be very interesting would be to have a version of the CoC Command Engine for Multiplayer. For instance, if you're the commander of a "multiplayer squad" or a "MP Clan" you can be above all of your troops (AI and Human) and command them. You can highlight the squad commander via the map, give him/her a waypoint (or you can send a private message via the group radio channel to instruct their movement to that WP). For example, you highlight a squad commander, and then click on the map where you want that squad to go, and when you click it sends "<squad name>, go to position IA-56 (or wherever you clicked on the map)". It's basically just like the Command Engine but for MP and use with both AI and Humans combined. You can also use "Teamspeak" or any other "Voice over IP" program to issue small commands to individual squads.

This would be especially good in mission of the CTI type.

I came across an Al Qaeda Training Manual for anyone that's interested in making realistic Al Qaeda missions:

Al Qaeda Training Manual

(Don't worry, this is LEGAL. It's from the USDoJ!)

If ne1 is in a cadet force, or the army they should know loads about military set up. e.g formations, size of battalions.

I was in the US Army, if anyone needs help with that.

Ditto, I'm currently in the Army.

If ne1 is in a cadet force, or the army they should know loads about military set up. e.g formations, size of battalions.

There a number of resources available, and number of knowledgable members in the community, regardless of whether they're prior service.  The only thing to keep in mind while you research for your mission is that the US Army is going thru a transformation.  Its moving away from the traditional division mindset (Legacy Force) and moving towards units of action called Brigade Combat Teams (BCT) (Interm or Objective Force).

Anyway, if your building a mission, just remember that the smallest conventional unit formation is the battalion.  Its rare to deploy/fight/train as anything smaller than a battalion level.

Hope my rambling helps, later.

~TA-50

Do any of you know where I can find a USMC TOE? I'm basically looking for TOE's primarily for MEU (13th) and MFR units.

Im no mission maker but have some opinion still, dunno if Im in the proper place

to comment but when it comes to realistic missions as spoken in here it looks

like you are gonna need some real military knowledge of things atleast if you a

squad leader? Why not make some realistic missions or campaigns like FDF(atleast they

felt like it except for that run-up-the-hill-get-slaughtered-mission) where

you are a grunt following a leader, I would honestly enjoy that more.

But if you ask me I prefer more real-life missions before over-the-top action. I have done

military training so I know alot would be doing what some would consider boring or pointless

stuff but I would love it anyway. Im not speaking about cleaning your gun though. wink_o.gif

this thread caught my eye as i am starting to make missions for our group. i was in the army for 9 years, and often assisted with battle plans. i am somewhat dismayed by the lack of real map symbols in ofp, namely the assembly area symbols with symbology for unit size, sector boundaries with platoon and company symbology (i.e. ... for a platoon and x for a company) and other things (it is hard to just make a line for an overlay...). is there any way to do these things easily? i want to create realistic opords...and map overlays to go along with my as realistic as possible missions. is there an addon anywhere with these things?

also maybe not the right place (but boy have i searched!wink_o.gif, can anyone tell me the grid sizes in the editor? both the large zoomed out grids and the smaller zoomed in grids?

Thx Sgt Rock!

I will check these out tonight hopefully...

BTW - I figured out the grid sizes... The zoomed in smaller grids are 100 meters, making the large zoomed out grids 1200 meters. Why oh why did BIS use 12 small grids per large grid instead of the standard 10huh.gif Totally so un-UTM like... sad_o.gif

Those symbols rock! Thank you much! Not everything I was looking for, and I would prefer to have them as rectangles and ellipses (so they do not synamically resize) but they are much better than stock. They are also not quite what we did in the Army for overlays, but they will work for sure...

I would much prefer to be able to free draw the overlay, ala good old fashioned grease pencil or alcohol pen... Anyone know of a way to do that?

I have two questions.

If my SAS patrol picks up a downed US pilot, what is the SOP to deal with the situation? Would he stay with the patrol until the next window and get lifted out by the re-supply chopper or would the US send a bird in straight away to get him? If you know what would happen please post. If you don't know for sure you should still post because if I can't find the correct SOP I'll take the next best theoretical one.

Secondly. What is the emergency rescue beacon that US Air Force pilots have. Like the Tacbe.