Sign in to follow this  
king homer

M1A2 SEP

Maybe you should write the authors of scripts you use, in readme. As i remember, someone asked me for using this script, and i allowed him to use. But i didn't see any mention of ORCS in readme. That looks sad...

Well, I had low aspects for this addon, due to issues a few people were pushing for it. So I kinda put my mindset against it but DLed it anyway and ran it for a bit. Still kinda early but so far I like it it don't seem to put a major strain on my hardwear, nor is it so over the top its unusable so for you guys get a few good marks on this one.

The tank is still on the slow side,m and suprized you guys didn't include the smoke generation scripts, but pleased the smoke launchers where the Abrams can lay out a smoke screan using a smoke generator that injects fuel in the exhaust system. should have added that instead of the winter camo. =P Yeah I'm still gonna gig ya for that..

@ Dec. 29 2004,07:26)]Maybe you should write the authors of scripts you use, in readme. As i remember, someone asked me for using this script, and i allowed him to use. But i didn't see any mention of ORCS in readme. That looks sad...

Oh I'm sorry, I did know I've forgot someone !! I'm really sorry!

Quote[/b] ] Posted: Dec. 29 2004,01:58  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to standardize these "RHS T55s/T64s, SIG M1s/M60s, King Homers-Inq and co. M1A2" you, or someone with ALOT of time on their hands would need to download them... unpbo... change the config.. reupload it and give the download link "hey heres these tanks with a standard armor value"

then when your done with that you need to go download every AT weapon ever made to make sure they are compatable (IE: rpg16 doesnt kill in 1 shot)

of course then there is the server incompatabilities.. someone has the uber awesome realistic version.. and someone else has the orginal version and the server explodes in a ball of flames and shrapnel due to the differances and people incite a riot...

and after months of work to do so... and all is said and done... someone will come along.. think your values are retarded (not saying they are) and unrealistic.. will then create thier own uber armor mod... do the exact same thing.. now we have 3 differnt versions of Sig's M1A1, INQ's M1A2, RHS T55, Sigma's T64 and its just one big mess

now if this idea came out around jan or feb of 04.. back when tanks were just becoming popular and innovative.. not just reskins or differnt sounds but truely innovative tanks.. such as this one here, then the universial armor and ammo for tanks would be perfect.

the point is.. that the idea would benifit tanks already released the most. but we cant change whats already released. at least not without controversy (for changing something without hte author writing a novel approving your changes) trying to contact those that are long long long gone and changing a tank that people thought was perfect the way it was.

personaly i think we should use the BIS armor values. how often do we have addon vs addon battles? not as often as we have addon vs BIS things. BIS values may not be perfect... but they are the most popular. and most of addon tanks minus RHS and this tank, are based off BIS values.

so we, the community, go thru with the CAVS i say we base it off the BIS as the standard and tweak that up or down based on new tanks. for instance take the default M1A1 armor (900) and make the M1A2 to 1200 to compantaste armor improvments and advancments in technology.

thats my story and im stickin to it

this is EXACTLY what we figured when we built the challenger2 units. and indeed, the cr2 uparmored has armor value of around 1200 if memory serves me right.

There will allways be 2 sides in this discussion: one side wants realism, the other side wants playability.

Sticking to the BIS base values seems to me the very best, for various reasons, but most importantly the compatibility reasons with the most used units. (BIS units).

Having said that, we also made our mistakes with that in the past.

My point of view is simply this: don't even try inventing some new standard that a lot of people will feel the need to change.. use what is 'solid' as a base and tweak that into shape. And by the 'solid' i mean the way BIS made ofp, with THEIR values.

On topic: sweet M1A2.. well done lads.

good to see so many of our inventions ( smile_o.gif ) are beeing used. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Well, unfortunately BIS values made for quite strange engagment, where tanks have to fire multiple times at each other before achieveing anything. Leading to a more "head on" full speed ahead type of tank fighting...

true, and even it is not very realistic, it is fun to play with.

Afterall, ofp was intended to be a game, not a sim.

The sim we would call VBS1 i believe.

The tank is still on the slow side,m and suprized you guys didn't include the smoke  generation scripts, but pleased the smoke launchers where the Abrams can lay out a smoke screan using a smoke generator that injects fuel in the exhaust system.  ..

seems like you didn´t play as commander, try it.. everything your talking of is there, you can generate smoke until you get a ctd from it biggrin_o.gif

The tank is still on the slow side,m and suprized you guys didn't include the smoke generation scripts, but pleased the smoke launchers where the Abrams can lay out a smoke screan using a smoke generator that injects fuel in the exhaust system. ..

seems like you didn´t play as commander, try it.. everything your talking of is there, you can generate smoke until you get a ctd from it biggrin_o.gif

And IAs driven tanks use it if they are too heavily hit, preventing nme fire. You only have to make them retreat and boom, you've got a superb engagement sequence.

EDIT : did some testings yesterday.

I set up various engagement, against BIS units (considered old as they are 1985 units), they are destroyed easily. Against old Sigma-6 russian tanks pack, they still are superior to everything except last generation, ie T-80UE and T-90, where things are even again, even a slight advantage to Russians, but the smoke script preserve 25 to 50% of the US units (heavily damaged, but alive).

Perhaps the M829E3 is slightly, slightly underpowered.

We'll release an update 1.1 at 2nd of january.

It'll fix all yet known bugs.

Hey I just realized something when playign with the nato camo'ed m1a2..

they are fromt he 3rd armoured division wich has not been in service since 1992.

it needs to be the 1st armoured division or 1st cav..

not the 3rd...

Hey I just realized something when playign with the nato camo'ed m1a2..

they are fromt he 3rd armoured division wich has not been in service since 1992.

it needs to be the 1st armoured division or 1st cav..

not the 3rd...

Jesus christ I swear I've never read a post from you about other addon makers' work which was not negative..

Great work to the guys who made this, the effects for the main gun are pretty damn amazing.

I love the use of the crew, our Challenger being the only other 4-man tank out there.

I will say one thing, the suspension seems a bit under-done to me. I saw footage of M1's moving down a road in iraq, going about 10-20mph, the vehicle stopped and the suspension must be soft on those things becuase it looked like it was going to flip right over, the commander had to hold on tightly.  tounge_o.gif

Great work though, let nothing I said about suspension diminish the sence of acheivment you should be feeling.

um sorry if i actual point out things and try to help them make it more correct i think it does alot more for an add-on then wow cool neat. way to go..

all those posts do is take up space and makes epole have ot read through page after page of 5 word posts of backslapping and ass kissing..

it does nothing.

but when you give an add on maker feed back that is constructive.

liek the whole 3rd armoured division.

that should be corrected since the 3rd armoured has not been used since 92. but the 1st armoured, 1st cav, 3rd ID, and the 11th armoured cav etc..

I will say one thing, the suspension seems a bit under-done to me. I saw footage of M1's moving down a road in iraq, going about 10-20mph, the vehicle stopped and the suspension must be soft on those things becuase it looked like it was going to flip right over, the commander had to hold on tightly.  tounge_o.gif

Great work though, let nothing I said about suspension diminish the sence of acheivment you should be feeling.

they stoped so the pit crew could put a pound of rubber in the front right tounge_o.gif

Yes, but the BIS standard tanks are crap. They've been obselete for years. Are you just realizing this?

This tank is unbalanced for standart tanks wow_o.gif

which makes it 90x more fun biggrin_o.gif

Not sure we get the same fun out of OFP rock.gif

Anyway, M1A2 SEP seems unbalanced when compared to BIS T-80 and M1A1 for the simple reason these tanks are 1985 area, and outdated by the today M1A2 SEP. 20 years of difference.

DKM Jaguar, I suppose that non-negative word are nice - and only nice, and some negative can be only helpful biggrin_o.gif

It is great (non-negative!) that INQ M1A2 crew bail out and there remain normal looking abandoned wreck on the battlefield. But now crew leaving tank after, about, 50-60% of dammage taken. It sometimes looks odd:

I tested 4 M1A2 against many, many RHS T54/T55/Type 69 and SIG T72M1 (Iraq). Range about 3000-4000 meters, pretty clouds of dense smoke, smell of napalm and thats stuff. But few times Iraqi tanks were able to hit all Abramses and force all crews to bail out. Tankers left vehicles and, almost unhurt, started to assault far (still more than 2.5 km) foe positions... on foot. Strange to see 16 tankers running bravely into fire when around stays four almost untouched mighty Abramses biggrin_o.gif

usual an crew will bail out in real life if they are hurt.

i saw an thing once aboot an tank crew in the gulf war they where sitting turned out guarding soem prisoners when an iraqi tank fired an HEAT round hittign the back side of the turret and injuring the crew. the crew bailed out and took up positions behide the m1a1. also crew bail out since there is alot of things inside that thing that like to explode, and you never know

the reason the crew bail out of this m1a2 tho is because the tracks are semi weak and are disabled quickly and no one wants to be in an tank that can't move around. this is actual an game engine thing the ai will bail out of anytihng that can't move anymore ie wheels or tracks have been damaged.

the other issue i hate with armour in ofp is the barrels are easly knocked out cuz no one ever gives the barrels an higher damage rating.

they jsut need ot adjust the track damage and the barrel damage and the crew will stay in the tanks longer.

usual an crew will bail out in real life if they are hurt.

i saw an thing once aboot an tank crew in the gulf war they where sitting turned out guarding soem prisoners when an iraqi tank fired an HEAT round hittign the back side of the turret and injuring the crew. the crew bailed out and took up positions behide the m1a1. also crew bail out since there is alot of things inside that thing that like to explode, and you never know

the reason the crew bail out of this m1a2 tho is because the tracks are semi weak and are disabled quickly and no one wants to be in an tank that can't move around. this is actual an game engine thing the ai will bail out of anytihng that can't move anymore ie wheels or tracks have been damaged.

the other issue i hate with armour in ofp is the barrels are easly knocked out cuz no one ever gives the barrels an higher damage rating.

they jsut need ot adjust the track damage and the barrel damage and the crew will stay in the tanks longer.

Already done!

I've searched for a script for getting the crew stay in the tank longer...but found nothing, so I changed the armor values.

Already done!

I've searched for a script for getting the crew stay in the tank longer...but found nothing, so I changed the armor values.

sad_o.gif Too bad AI can't love their vehicle more. This system of "high armor / weak localized parts" was brilliant in depicting damaged tanks. Did you keep this or did you revert on a system with lower overall armor and tougher localized parts?

I was making an observation, but whinge away if it makes you feel better. rock.gif

It was not what you were saying it was how you were delivering it. I'm all for authenticity in addons, I hope someone will do the same for any addon I will be releasing. But to say outright that no one cares about being appreiciative (as opposed to seemingly ungrateful they have it to even comment on at all) is a rather misguided comment.

Not to mention "I don't like 5th round tracers, change it for me" is not exactly authentic nor constructive....

Not to dwell any further on that, I have come across a problem, which is that even with 44fps the main gun tracers never seem to work, as well as the Staff despite nothing being in the line of the shot fired.. very odd. smile_o.gif

Anyway, M1A2 SEP seems unbalanced when compared to BIS T-80 and M1A1 for the simple reason these tanks are 1985 area, and outdated by the today M1A2 SEP. 20 years of difference.

Who is still using standart BIS tanks? rock.gif

They dont fit to never tanks even for the optic aspect of it.

After having played around with this beast and understanding its different ammo types. I built a quick scenario where I could use several different types of ammo on different targets.

I engaged a RHS T64BV at 1000m withg the normal AP round

I then used a STAFF round (Amazing effect) on a BMP2 behind an emplacement biggrin_o.gif

And then finished it off with an APAT(I think its right) on some infantry and AT launcher biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif (love that effect)

all in all, you guys have made it fun to be in a tank again

Thanks