Sign in to follow this  
king homer

M1A2 SEP

Truly amazing. Outstanding work!

Or to put it in international terms: WOW!

*giving the old BIS tanks an honourable discharge*

Pretty one.

I agree with calm_terror, gunner sight view in wrong place.

Strange thing about coax MG - it is very hard to hit a target above horizon, bullets have very low trajectory. Hitting slow moving heli (distance <500 meters, alt. ~50 meters) with APFSDS is also a miracle.

Pretty one.

I agree with calm_terror, gunner sight view in wrong place.

Strange thing about coax MG - it is very hard to hit a target above horizon, bullets have very low trajectory. Hitting slow moving heli (distance <500 meters, alt. ~50 meters) with APFSDS is also a miracle.

I've found the bug, it was a problem with the STAFF script ... some missing "" .... crazy_o.gif

You can`t imagine how much I missed these "Staff" rounds.

I used them in Armored Fist 2, and I learned to love them in various situations. The tank look`s absolutely amazing.

And with the reworked staff script, maybe the AI is able to shoot something down (or up). biggrin_o.gif

Great unit!  I tried this thing against Infantry, light and heavy armor for about 3 hours last night.  

Here's what I found:

STAFF

When fired at ~450-600m, in a target-rich environment, it will often lock onto a target more than 10deg off boresight, when another tank was inline.  Not a problem, as this is a self designating FF projectile.  However, the detonation appeared above the tank I targeted, as the tank 10deg to the left (50m away from my target) exploded.  I reccommend letting the script ID it's target first and use it's location for the airburst effect, if possible.

Also, other than using this round against a tank behind a berm, or in defilade, I dont see the top-down strength.  It took >2-3 rounds (on average) to knock out T-80's with Sigma-6's armor values (Random damage?  Miss?  Radically different round/armor value balance?) **It WAS sweet to see the antenna of BMP's over a rise (works very well against them) and take them out without exposing any hull**  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  ghostface.gif

APAM

I fired from 600m down to 100m away, and only got the effect to happen once.  Other than that, it acted like a 120mm sniper rifle.  When it did work, (around 500m) the effect was -devastating-  Terribly great.  Infantry meatgrinder.

MPAT

Respectable, nice AT effect.  Did not think to try against Helos... Must have been the Rum & Dr. Pepper. hmmm. crazy_o.gif

Co-AX  Great effect!  Nice pattern (as said before, a little low relative to optics).

Overall, a fantastic initial release.  And the loader calling out when ready (besides just being there) is awesome!  Totally enjoyable! Thank you.

I'd use Sig6 T Series pack, instead of BIS tanks, to compare.

Gotta have to try this this evening, it looks great!

You can`t imagine how much I missed these "Staff" rounds.

I used them in Armored Fist 2, and I learned to love them in various situations. The tank look`s absolutely amazing.

And with the reworked staff script, maybe the AI is able to shoot something down (or up). biggrin_o.gif

yeah i personaly think armored fist 2 was the best tank sim ever. my disk is messed up now, though. sad_o.gif  i absoloutley loved that game.  

as for the STAFF-i dont get it. i am about 720 m, targeting some iraqi t72s. (sigmas i believe) .there are the tanks, in wedge formation. (they are a group) so i lock on to tank farthest to the left with my gunner, he locks, and fires. strangly, the mini-mushroom cloud appears above him, but the tank right of him is blown up, leaving the tank i targeted untouched . Wtf i must say.  rock.gif  rock.gif  rock.gifsad_o.gif

other than that, this tank is the best (tank) ive seen. smile_o.gif

Personally, I do not think that using of Sigma-6`s Russian tanks is good in those tests. Those packs are rather old and I believe that RHS (and ONS?) T72/T80/T90 tanks would have improved armour and power values.

Maybe better would be comparing new Abrams with RHS T64s - which, AFAIR, are complete (or very close to be complete) addons, part of some armour value system.

King Homer, is it your M1A2 compatible rather with Sigma-6`s tank (from old packs), orginal BIS vehicles (and DKM too) or RHS?

Is it possible to change colour of tracer? AFAIK many of NATO rifles shoot red tracers and Russian (PKs, DShKs, AKs and others) shoot green. I suppose if this script was advanced many mods would interest in implementing it to addons. Orginal BIS`s tracers looks too StarWars ;), more realistic tracer bullets could be a new quality in OFP.

QUOTE dabitup: as for the STAFF-i dont get it. i am about 720 m, targeting some iraqi t72s. (sigmas i believe) .there are the tanks, in wedge formation. (they are a group) so i lock on to tank farthest to the left with my gunner, he locks, and fires. strangly, the mini-mushroom cloud appears above him, but the tank right of him is blown up, leaving the tank i targeted untouched . Wtf i must say.

Ricochet?  tounge_o.gif

You got it.

Wether Bis nor Sig tanks are good to compare. I used RHS tanks to do make the M1 compatible with coming tank addons from them.

Yes I'll change the tracer color to dark orange and I've already fixed that problem with the not zeroed MG.

As I mentioned in my first post, the Staff script will only be activated with free line of fire and no objects between it.

Also, the Staff round searches it's own target. It will release his deadly load on the first target it passes. So it could happen you

re fireing at a tank but the tank in front or it or the target closer to you will be destroyed.

Personally, I do not think that using of Sigma-6`s Russian tanks is good in those tests. Those packs are rather old and I believe that RHS (and ONS?) T72/T80/T90 tanks would have improved armour and power values.

Maybe better would be comparing new Abrams with RHS T64s - which, AFAIR, are complete (or very close to be complete) addons, part of some armour value system.

I'd be very interested in knowing how this armor value system work, it would permit us to make our next release compatible (Leclerc), or as compatible as possible (cause AFAIK, there's always some guessing in the numbers you put in a cpp, one can't know everything about tank material IRL smile_o.gif )

Guest [B.B.S.] T_D

The Staff script search targets which are in the config class "AllVehicles" so it won't detonate on buildings, units or bushes. It works with the nearestObject command so it will be difficult for this command to detect a vehicle in a town or in between many objects. Hope you better understand how the Staff works,now.

Dont you think that its high time to make common armour values system (CAVS) for all mods just like JAM for ammo?? I think its really high time to do this because there are too many different systems in different mods and gameplay only looses :/

I'd be very interested in knowing how this armor value system work, it would permit us to make our next release compatible (Leclerc), or as compatible as possible (cause AFAIK, there's always some guessing in the numbers you put in a cpp, one can't know everything about tank material IRL smile_o.gif )

Maybe word "system" is not the best. It is just scream for making addons compatible. Sigma-6`s values (f.e. armour of T80; DU ammo of T90 - BM32 - was overpowered) looked better than orginal BIS and another. Just compare your Leclerc values with RHS`s (which mod, as I believe, developed Sigma-6`s "system") tanks (T54/T55 and T64 packs plus Sigma-6`s Abrams/M60 pack plus, of course, the newest M1A2 wink_o.gif ) and try to remember, that Leclerc has not DU+Chobham but Chobham-like armour, OFL120E1 is a little inferior to DM53 and M829A3 and French PROCIPAC round is still only experimental biggrin_o.gif

I suppose that OFP lacks universal (quasi-official), JAM-like standard in case of tank warfare. That`s the pity that RHS have problems and we have to wait for another big tank packs.

P.S. Damn, Firefly wrote it faster. CAVS... sound nice. Good Carrot  tounge_o.gif

a note the tracers fired form m240's and m249's are yellow not orange.

the US uses 2 colours of tracers

red and yellow.

also put bakc the normal tracers i hate when the script for the 4th round thing makes hte tracers disppear when more then 5 units are being used. it make sit near impossible to target anything in the dark. I liked the BIS tracers since you cna actual see where the rounds are goin

also the small flat or round blobs used as tracers are to small they should be longer to actual trace not just float.

but still bring back the bis tracers. or atleast make it an opition..

You got it.

Wether Bis nor Sig tanks are good to compare. I used RHS tanks to do make the M1 compatible with coming tank addons from them.

hey now.. i had a fiar test ont he desert island and the results are just how i expected  smile_o.gif

4 M1A2's vs 12 T80s  blues.gif

lost 1 abram and 2 crew members and gave the BIS t80's a whoopin  biggrin_o.gif just how i like it

oh yea the interior is kinda screwy... the gunner "Turns out" on the left side.. but sits on the right (in the tank). other then that its cool smile_o.gif

You got it.

hey now.. i had a fiar test ont he desert island and the results are just how i expected  smile_o.gif

4 M1A2's vs 12 T80s  blues.gif

lost 1 abram and 2 crew members and gave the BIS t80's a whoopin  biggrin_o.gif just how i like it

oh yea the interior is kinda screwy... the gunner "Turns out" on the left side.. but sits on the right (in the tank). other then that its cool  smile_o.gif

You should try it against some of sigma's T80UE's... Damn those T80 become really annoying then...

I've been making a nice combined arms mission with them (and combat bradleys + Hyakyushi's 2003 WL troops) and I noticed something about their accuracies. At long range (1500-2000+ I think and this was at mapfact Nogova) the famed 1 shot 1 hit doesn't apply anymore (and their skill is at max). They fire nicely and stuff but are not that accurate against moving targets (at long range). And no I don't think it's fade...  crazy_o.gif

But all in all, nice tank, I really like the firing effect, very loud and bright, just the way I like it, now, if the rest of the tanks will follow this trend... biggrin_o.gif

You got it.

hey now.. i had a fiar test ont he desert island and the results are just how i expected smile_o.gif

4 M1A2's vs 12 T80s blues.gif

lost 1 abram and 2 crew members and gave the BIS t80's a whoopin biggrin_o.gif just how i like it

oh yea the interior is kinda screwy... the gunner "Turns out" on the left side.. but sits on the right (in the tank). other then that its cool smile_o.gif

THe gunner turns out, because the loader position is only cargo and there was no way to let the cargo turn out. So we've made the decision to take the gunner to make it more realistic.

You got it.

hey now.. i had a fiar test ont he desert island and the results are just how i expected smile_o.gif

4 M1A2's vs 12 T80s blues.gif

lost 1 abram and 2 crew members and gave the BIS t80's a whoopin biggrin_o.gif just how i like it

You should try it against some of sigma's T80UE's... Damn those T80 become really annoying then...

I've been making a nice combined arms mission with them (and combat bradleys + Hyakyushi's 2003 WL troops) and I noticed something about their accuracies. At long range (1500-2000+ I think and this was at mapfact Nogova) the famed 1 shot 1 hit doesn't apply anymore (and their skill is at max). They fire nicely and stuff but are not that accurate against moving targets (at long range). And no I don't think it's fade... crazy_o.gif

But all in all, nice tank, I really like the firing effect, very loud and bright, just the way I like it, now, if the rest of the tanks will follow this trend... biggrin_o.gif

There's a bug in one of the scripts, it'' change the ammunition velocity, I've already fixed it and we'll be released within the 1.1 update in the next days. Now the AI hits 95% at ranges of +2000m

id like to throw in my 2 cents about the CAVS thingy...

it woulda been a good idea a year ago... the problem is that we already HAVE tanks out there with screwy armor values... and whose gonna be in charge of downloading and tweaking all 400 of the most popular MBT's to use this system?

how many more tanks do you expect in the upcoming year? not many.

its a good idea but too little too late imo

Some testing:

after 4 hits (BM25?) from Russian T55AM (by RHS) Abrams` crew bailed out. Bailing out is one of the best thing with new addon, but IMHO they left vehicle too soon. It blowed up after 8 hits. AFAIR crew bailed out after 3 hits (BM42, probably still standard tungsten round of Russian Amour) from T64BV (by RHS, again), vehicle was lost after 5 (? - now I am not sure). Is it possible to force crew to stay in Abrams for another one BM25 hit? Still there would be some tank hit points that will make it look as abandoned, not crushed.

Pappy Boyington, idea of CAVS seem to me not too late. Firstly, the problem is not with tanks - it is too with all mods/addons packs of infantry, apcs, planes, helis, horse riders and hippopotams, with everything that has weapon that can scratch tank armour and would be published in next year.

Secondly, the problem is not with tanks that would appear in 2005. IMHO this is a chance for such a standarisation that many very good, realistic and... dada, compatible (RHS T55s/T64s, SIG M1s/M60s, King Homers-Inq and co. M1A2) already published. It could be some base for new addons and root of standarization.

to standardize these "RHS T55s/T64s, SIG M1s/M60s, King Homers-Inq and co. M1A2" you, or someone with ALOT of time on their hands would need to download them... unpbo... change the config.. reupload it and give the download link "hey heres these tanks with a standard armor value"

then when your done with that you need to go download every AT weapon ever made to make sure they are compatable (IE: rpg16 doesnt kill in 1 shot)

of course then there is the server incompatabilities.. someone has the uber awesome realistic version.. and someone else has the orginal version and the server explodes in a ball of flames and shrapnel due to the differances and people incite a riot...

and after months of work to do so... and all is said and done... someone will come along.. think your values are retarded (not saying they are) and unrealistic.. will then create thier own uber armor mod... do the exact same thing.. now we have 3 differnt versions of Sig's M1A1, INQ's M1A2, RHS T55, Sigma's T64 and its just one big mess

now if this idea came out around jan or feb of 04.. back when tanks were just becoming popular and innovative.. not just reskins or differnt sounds but truely innovative tanks.. such as this one here, then the universial armor and ammo for tanks would be perfect.

the point is.. that the idea would benifit tanks already released the most. but we cant change whats already released. at least not without controversy (for changing something without hte author writing a novel approving your changes) trying to contact those that are long long long gone and changing a tank that people thought was perfect the way it was.

personaly i think we should use the BIS armor values. how often do we have addon vs addon battles? not as often as we have addon vs BIS things. BIS values may not be perfect... but they are the most popular. and most of addon tanks minus RHS and this tank, are based off BIS values.

so we, the community, go thru with the CAVS i say we base it off the BIS as the standard and tweak that up or down based on new tanks. for instance take the default M1A1 armor (900) and make the M1A2 to 1200 to compantaste armor improvments and advancments in technology.

thats my story and im stickin to it

Yeah, cool M1A2. Saw some other types of M1A2 but never a really good one like this. Awesome sounds, of reloading and firing. smile_o.gif Good job!

Was it really necessary to use CBT_Crew and JAM? Would be better if you put a link into the ReadMe.txt where you can find JAM (http://www.ofpec.com/editors/mods/JAM/JAM2.rar). (I uninstalled BAS Rangers before tounge_o.gif ..)