Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

There is a new horse edit of the pchorse we did,

http://img167.echo.cx/my.php?image=earlytest014ng.jpg

CWmod could use that, but animating it and blah blah takes time if possible even. (plus the rider cargo anim, thats something cwmod could do to help btw trig to save time)

As for more weapons etc, i think there are enough personally its more about improving the quality already, but then were sharing the new wepaons anyway, and there are some new weapons we've made that cwmod will get, including

a henry rifle, a johnston 1836 pistol and a few others

btw the gatling cannon looks cool too wink_o.gif

I think that an addition to realism would be to have the same models of the muskets but instead have different sounds

so say have 5 wepaons of the same models but with different sounds so it sounds a little more varied in battle

This is because I find the musket noise gets a little dull after a while :P

Sound is attributed to the ammo currently.

The 3 muskets that use the .58 minie bullet have the same sound.

The flintlock I'm making now will have a different sound for .69 bullet.

Sharps, Spencer and Whitworth also have different sounds.

Here's the US 1816 Flintlock Musket.

Due to the lack of better rifles some Union and Confederate regiments were armed with this musket, until more modern weapons became available.

US1816Flintlock.jpg

(I also think Napoleonics should use this gun rather than the Springfield)

That looks great [The flintlock I'm making now will have a different sound for .69 bullet.] for the shot or will they have a louder scream when I shoot a yankee with it. LOL I had to say that.

Will the smoothbore musket also have a higher rate of fire than the rifles?

Also, something that might or might not be good to implement is the so called "Buck 'n ball" round. I've read on several occasions where regiments unfortunate enough to be armed with these outdated weapons would cut a .69 caliber round into pieces and place them, along with the standard .69 ball, in the paper cartridge. At close range, you have a very big, very deadly shotgun. Perhaps troops armed with the musket could have 2 choices for ammo, much like the standard BIS shotgun has 2 choices?

Just a suggestion. I'm enjoying the mod and look forward to new releases!

Thanks for your suggestion MB.

Buck'n'ball has been considered, just a matter of implementation, whether it will get done (partially due to the muzzle smoke problem, as can be encountered with the civillian shotgun, which creates a cloud for each buckshot ball that flies out of the gun).

Higher rate of fire...well...our muskets already don't have the historic 20 seconds reload time, but 12-15 (and 15 was the speed of reload for a very drilled smoothbore operator...).

Here's a pic of the new Mississippi .54 calibre rifle:

MissRifle.jpg

Good job with the mod! It really rocks  rofl.gif

I wonder if anyone has played North vs. South (not that old amiga version, heh). There are like dozens of pages of information conserning US civil war in that game. Very intresting stuff if one is intrested in civil war. A lot of information about unit tactics for example.

Huge fan of this mod, I think it brings a whole new era to ofp.

I personally think more units would be the best option, speaking of which, maybe the Irish brigade (who used nothing but the m1816 .69 caliber musket)? Specificly the 69th New York State Milita which was a pre-war unit. I can provide tons of information and even pictures of reenactors if needed.

"Aim Low Boys"

ripping someones legs off  with a .69 caliber round

least they'll live.................

great work on the weapons guys

looking foward to a weapons pack.

bigus

Yes, the Irish Brigade would be a great addition.  Even if you only made an Irish Brigade flag bearer with their green flag it would be cool.  

In answer to the other question, I have played that North vs South game - I didnt care for it, the win conditions and controls were very odd.  If you're looking for a realistic and fun civil war strategy game, check out Sierra's Robert E. Lee Civil War Generals II.  Hex based game that is too old to find in stores these days, but it is very very accurate in terms of maps, units, weapons, and even casualty rates.  Of all the computer games I've ever owned, CWG II is the only one that has constantly been carried over when I get a new computer.  It never gets old.

'Aim Low Boys"

ripping someones legs off with a .69 caliber round

least they'll live.................'

whit u havering on aboot bigus? hehe

Yeah but alas we could do with some explosives and dynamite too actually, more for 'engineers' obviously than er crazy cowboys throwing sticks of dynamite lol (u know like satchel charges etc?) but much weaker

Anyway heres some progress on 'bitter island' er featuring a hangin - for some atmosphere, this island is a grim er place.

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled26jz1.jpg

All the towns have signs, each town is intended to have some custom buildings too, basically so that each place has character, sign posts will add to this.

some er bushwackers got caught -

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bitter8ma.jpg

and heres a good example of the simple but attractive buildings zalmoxis is doing, and we'll be going back to add more to the old buildings thus far too

http://img283.imageshack.us/my.php?image=barber9lp.jpg

Looks great! But will we be able to shoot the rope like Blondie did in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"? tounge2.gif

Looks great! But will we be able to shoot the rope like Blondie did in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"? tounge2.gif

Yup Gavin.

You have to make the whole hanging animation, and shootable ropes.

pistols.gif

No sense in having gallows that don't work ingame.

Then you can make missions where you have to catch the outlaw, bring him to town and hang him. Nasty.

Wow, the new guns look great especially the 1816 musket. I can't wait to use one...when can we expect them?

Gatling gun

Flintlock musket

Mississippi rifle

New cannons

A bunch of new men

a working horse

(enabling also towable artillery and wagons)

and some minor improvements...

...should be released with the next addon pack.

August is my guess.

yay.gif

Huge fan of this mod, I think it brings a whole new era to ofp.

I personally think more units would be the best option, speaking of which, maybe the Irish brigade (who used nothing but the m1816 .69 caliber musket)?  Specificly the 69th New York State Milita which was a pre-war unit.  I can provide tons of information and even pictures of reenactors if needed.

Thanks mate.

Will see what can be done about the Irish brigade.

It is indeed a famous unit.

Course then someone ought also have to make a Fredericksburg map...

Good pics welcome (send ot my mail).

A fredricksburg map so the Unionists can Sit around a few days then start charging up a hill and getting mown down y the brigade....nearly as bad as a Petersburg Crater Fiasco....

Another Burnside Blunder...now thats a campaign burnsides blunders..(though to credit him he was the victim of a large Smear Campaign)

Love the news about the Towable Artillery and ne horse...some Cavalry raids as a rebs stealing union guns out from under them,

would be cool...

Nice work so far and keep the cool stuff coming

Forgive me if this dead horse has been beaten already, but will the new cannons also include new shot? While I like seeing the cannons in missions, I have found them to be mostly useless unless you score a direct hit against an opponent. Having canister or explosive shells would allow the cannons to be more useful for the type of fighting the game allows.

In any case, good luck with everything, this is a great mod!

GRRRRR Lets hope its early August, i go to VMI the 20th and theres no games on post, at least not till breakout and ive been waiting since this mod started, wow, thats wierd its been a while...but as i regain my composure, i come to grips with the fact that its done when its done and not a day before. but i will be sayin my prayers for an early release!!!!!!!!!!

-good luck and god speed

Josh

I'm currently working on the Wilderness map

right now which will include fredricksburg ,spotslvania ch

and chancelorsville. Should be released in august some time.

Thats if I can free up some spare time that is.

bigus

Forgive me if this dead horse has been beaten already, but will the new cannons also include new shot? Having canister or explosive shells would allow the cannons to be more useful for the type of fighting the game allows.

Yes, new config for the cannons includes cannister shot.