Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

Well, Picket in regards to the animation for pistols, i think more of a compromise between arm completely extended and the hip would be a good additional animation especially for normal units using pistols, like confederate raiders, and other armed civilians, (as the current anim while great) is so very formal that u would expect to see it more akin to an 18th century aristocrat duelling with a flintlock hehe

Gavin, you watched to many Clint Eastwood movies smile_o.gif

As i mentioned before, i've yet to see somebody shooting from a position as you propose.

Another thing to be taken into consideration is the "Aim" view.

What would that have to look like, or would you rather skip it completely ?

That would make hitting anything even harder.

I suggest leaving that one alone, but i'm only one of many here.

Godspeed,

Pickett

lol picket, trust me it doesnt take a sergio movie to suggest that normal gents fighting with pistols, did so from positions other than the current anim, which is very formal (very very formal) Im not suggesting its historically innacurate, for i believe it would be for a 'select' number of men who obviously treated their pistolling like they would swordplay, (with precise movement and posture) but how many other than them? i.e. the vast majority would?

(The hand behind the back could even be a deriative instruction originating from sword fighting) but honestly picket i find it quite amusing that you cant possibly imagine chaps fighting with pistols in positions other than the animation we have kindly donated, on the contrary it is far more incredible to imagine MOST did, bar those who may have done so most probably for a few months after officer training school...

(doubtlessly ur straggly street wise officer, soldier, or bandit certainly didnt..) and again, it doesnt take a movie to realise that ;)

From what I've observed watching many a film where large-frame revolvers are used, ranging from "Gettysburg" to "The Wall", an officer would lean forward, raise the revolver with his arm bent and seem to stare over the sights, then fire. Seeing as the only time an officer would normally use his revolver was when he was being attacked, he would be firing for his life and not really caring about his posture.

On the other hand, attacking officers tended to go into action with their swords-a tactic which did not change until the start of The Great War.

........but honestly picket i find it quite amusing that you cant possibly imagine chaps fighting with pistols in positions other than the animation we have kindly donated....

It's not about imagination, i did four years of service during the late seventies, the last two as a small weapons instructor.

The hand behind the back is about balance, not just a noble gesture.

Pickett

And heeerrrres a peak at the henry rifle textured by zalmoxis, modelled by lt hunter thanx *wink* member of i44

Yes Picket, exactly, balance, I did a little small fire, and swordfighting instruction, and its obvious that the hand behind the back, is a fall back from the idea of posture and balance, based on ie. the perfectly aimed thrust of a sword, and hence the perfect aim of a pistol.

But like all military technique, it evolves from history, and some of those traditions of military theory, are practiced somewhat differently on the battlefied, rest assured, if it was a perfect technique then why is it most officers, and certainly pistol users, adapted to fight and aim their pistols differently?

After all, it is a technique more in tune with flintlock pistols (sonly discarded some years before the war, still in use in some confederate armouries) but in the age of the revolver, this technique, was used and discarded quickly by new officers, while more streetwise soldiers rarely used it at all im sure. (since most would want their hand available if their fighting at close range, not sat behind their back for 'aiming'

http://img59.echo.cx/my.php?image=henry5kw.jpg

-HARLEY

Oh pantaloons what picture isnt loading buddy?

http://img245.echo.cx/my.php?image=henry3en.jpg

There u go, that should work now ;)

Only a colt peacemaker left (another post war weapon, but remember we have a broader agenda here) there are currently all the old cwmod weapons remodelled, retextured etc, (to share in peace and harmony) and there are new weapons altogether for the post war including in total,

This henry rifle is basically a winchester but during the civil war (ol henrys got bought by winchester after the war, and they advanced the design a little further etc) we also have a gorgeous flintlock pistol that saw some service at the start of the war. pics of those will be coming soon

the winchester, cold peacemaker

Oops, sorry; yeah it was the Henry rifle picture not working; works good now though, cheers!

Which other postwar weapon are you referring to, apart from the Peacemaker (lovely name for a weapon, eh)?

Ahhh *ruffles beard* good question harley, depends what people request as well, we listen to requests etc,

Theres 3 periods to the mod, (focussing mostly on the second)

1 - Pre civil war (early wild west)

2 - Civil War (our main focus, but also on the anarchy that occured)

3 - Post Civil War (i.e. crime sprees, ane mexican civil war)

The campaign is supposed to be one man that goes thru an epic life story lol thru these periods, (yeah luck man, and luck mission maker for that one huh lol) yikes.

In any case, the firearms are intriguing for us to do, so post war is the winchester, (already done) peacemaker, and other hand guns most probably, including a gatling gun, a range of more sophisticated rifles and shotguns too.

A word on the pistol anims.

I think Sanctuary did one hell of a job on this, and I wouldn't change it now.

I like the fact that the reload anim takes longer, as even with modern pistols it does take a while to change clips (especially under fire, may I add). And Civil War revolvers were primitive affairs, where bullets and gunpoweder were inserted separately...

I do suggest however, Gavin, that you make a special folder for your mod (there's no harm in shared stuff being twice in CWMOD and in HouseDivided), therefore when it starts up, it starts up with its own set of anims as well. Those can then be modelled at will to suit any gamers needs!

Yup well i mean no offence to Sanctuary, the quality of his work is not in dispute as far as im concerned.

House Divided already has a seperate mod folder, gui, and u know blah blah, this allows greater accomodation for cooperation also, and to bear in mind we do have a broader but less 'detailed' agenda concerning the civil war, so that should allow the mods to accomodate and enhance one another via shared technology and in concern of weapons and other stuff, shared artistry and modelling. For as is always important, 'common sense' must prevail !

;)

As for animations we are making a set as well, for some particular gun anims and stuff, so we'll see how we get on with that heavens lol

As promised.

Here's the first of suggestions for the aimsights.

The Springfield rifle.

You see 3 shots of the aim, and my little picture of what you'd see aiming a Springfield rifle. Your right thumb would be there somewhere (drawn poorly here, if you're an artist hold a stick, look at your thumb and draw it...), the hammer is on the right and the massive aimsight would take up much of the center...

SpringfieldAim.jpg

...to be continued with other guns...

Ah good lad triglav, that helps a lot, okay ill do the springfield optic tomorrow, just need them for the lorenz and enfield (tho admittedly there isnt going to be much difference is there)

Alrighty now here is my favourite western villain, the mod has a category of famous characters (both historical and non historical) in a special vehicles class in the editor.

One of my favourite westerns is 'Once upon a Time in the West' a devastating operatic tale of vengeance. One of the finest western villains ive seen was played by Henry Fonda, who at the end of the movie, has a showdown against Charles Bronsan that quit a few consider to be the western genres finest.

The photo shows him with his coat (he takes it off when he fights) and hence the addon depicts him with his coat off. Hope u l'll like lol, and if u havent seen the movie, catch it!

http://img186.echo.cx/my.php?image=frank2kv.jpg

almost looks like Lee Van Cleef!

those pics are great Gavin! (the good the bad and the ugly campaign) biggrin_o.gif

actually liked Fonda better in fort apache but thats just me.

I agree with Trig in that we should have

both mods AHD and ACWM with no conflicts,

working together. That way we get the best of both.

I also think Santuary's pistol anims just fine, a big

improvement.

looking foward to some of these new optics as well

there looking good.

bigus

Hmm I gotta watch The Good, The Bad and The Ugly again, for inspiration. A coop of that theme would rock. And with the new cowboy units coming up... Ah, I'll be in heaven.

I already have a little play-around mission I've been using with western music and stuff. But it's just a editor-play-around so I'm not ever going to release it. Not hard to make yourself anyway, just some houses that don't match with the theme at all and lots of people with revolvers. Then some bandits attack, and of course there is the big boss who you can challenge do a duel. And he a really fast drawer!

As for the anims part, it's very hard to hit anything without aiming. Possible with pistols, but hard. That's why the wild west gunslingers had two revolvers anyway, that's twice as great rate of fire and it's like a twelve-shooter.

I am making my Outlaws2 misson soon when these units are finished, thats what im looking forward to after the good responce outlaws 1 got.

Enfield rifle next (same for Enfield Musketoon)...

It's got a telescopic sight, with an adjustable cross lever for shots at a distance.

EnfieldAim.jpg

Lorenz musket...

Here's a strange one.

Two holes in the sight. Lower one for regular aiming, higher one for far distance aiming...

LorenzAim.jpg

Spencer repeating rifle (same thing for Spencer Carbine)...

Another one with a telescopic sight.

SpencerAim.jpg

Sharps Berdan rifle (and Sharps carbine)

Pretty much the same as Spencer (only maybe a bit darker...), and pay attention to the fully metal breach!

SharpsAim.jpg

There...

This should pretty much cover the aimsights...

...apart from the Whitworth which should have the primitive brass scope view (with no crosshair inside).

Decide what to do with pistols. Plenty of pics of those around.

Now we wait and see what happens...

Yep thats great, thats all i need to make the optics for those muskets, ill use those as templates,

Ur right bigus_dikus about not having conflicts between our mods, the problem is that when development went on inside cwmod, we worked on a lot of things that put them in an ambiguis position, for example new textures for cannons, its cwmods models, but the news have my textures etc...

What I propose officially is,

We will share the new weapon pack completely including new optics, (nice given that many models have been replaced) and the new AI distance weapons code usage + new weapons we're making.

To share the 'vehicles' like the cannon or any other objects that were retextured by me while i was doing them in cwmod.  

Other than that i think we can call it even splits, though in terms of new scripts, animations and other technology were coming to get, (via fancy mods) were happy to share them for free with cwmod in good spirit and hope likewise with any discoveries made, that can help the 'period' genre.

Most importantly is our mods have seperate folders anyway, and different focuses (slightly) on period, that give leeway.

If we want to share anything else we can discuss it blah blah as we go along

This is the missions i have right now for the Chattanooga Island

MP_14 player multi squad control with 6 flag capture

SP_CSA 6 flag capture multi squad with respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 8 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 6 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 6 flag capture multi squad with respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 8 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 6 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 3 flag cature with no respawn 1 squad control

SP_USA 3 flag cature with no respawn 1 squad control

the ones with no respawn when the player dies it ends the game.

and i am working on more

This is the missions i have right now for the Chattanooga Island

MP_14 player multi squad control with 6 flag capture

SP_CSA 6 flag capture multi squad with respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 8 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 6 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 6 flag capture multi squad with respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 8 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_USA 6 flag capture multi squad no respawn 3 squad control

SP_CSA 3 flag cature with no respawn 1 squad control

SP_USA 3 flag cature with no respawn 1 squad control

the ones with no respawn when the player dies it ends the game.

and i am working on more

booyah! can barely wait pistols.gif