Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

After months of waiting, nagging experienced modders for help, the three amateur enthusiasts called Pickett, Tsalagikola and myself finally put together a somewhat functionable collection of addons and anims...

You can get them at our site.

Regards,

Triglav

I dunno if this is a bug or anything but the Union infantry men dont seem to have a bayonet option

And btw, how can u make AI use it?

I just put 8 squads on desert island and I got around 8 frames per second. I have a mid-ranged PC and have all settings on low.

I think you guys need to work on your lods sad_o.gif

Edit - Ah but besides that, these units are kickass, especially that you implemented Korax & my smoke script (edited by Silola.) It's alot of fun!

I dunno if this is a bug or anything but the Union infantry men dont seem to have a bayonet option

And btw, how can u make AI use it?

I can't find the bayonet option but if your the officer you can command your men to fasten bayonets.

Fantastic job! Love these units  smile_o.gif

Although, like MrZig said, maybe for a patch can you put in lower poly longer/mid ranged LOD's for the units? I cant seem to have my favourite 72 vs 72 battles anymore  sad_o.gif

It plays alright with 9 squads on my 4 year old dell. Not really fast but easily playable.

Congratulations!

You have found the first bug we didn't notice.

And here is the cure.

It's a wee problem in the config of Union troops.

Fix the config.cpp so that the script inits say "Musket" where they say "Enfield".

Union will use bayonet then.

Yeah...I know about the lods. I can use only about 30 soldiers on the map on my antique computer before framerate drops to unplayable.

The soldiers basically only have 2 sets of them.

Close-up and A-bit-less-close-up.

Mainly because I didn't really know how to properly use the mid and far ones in BIS man, on which I based the units.

Like I said...we're real amateurs here.   crazy_o.gif

Gavin who's more of a pro offered help first, but then was unable to find time to do anything because he was busy supplying you with all those WW2 addons. Why do you need so many WW2 addons anyway when you should be helping a bunch of lost Civil War enthusiasts!  mad_o.gif

Here is my, "UnOffical Review."

of the

"Civil War Mod"

I found this beta as entertaining.

The Civil War Mod put together a unique idea.

After months and months of working on it.

It's released!

Pro's:

They give you loads of soldiers and about 5 different cannons.

I also found that there is a flag bearer on each side. (With hand to hand combat action.)

There are also sharp shooters of the Civil War.

(Esspecially Berdan's SharpShooters)

Which impressed me! (As I'm a big! history buff.)

Reload time seem to be very close to reload time of that period. (Should be able to fire 3 rds. per minute.)

I loved the animations of reloading.

Impressed on how much of the Civil War Mod they got right. (History,uniforms,rifles, and the feelings of the time they captured.)(With limits of the OFP engine.)

Go experience and relive history, that had brother vs. brother.

Con's:

Rifles needed a little better texturing.

Bayonet fighting didn't seem to work for me in the South.

(I didn't try the North.)

Can not get AI to engage over 100 yrds. (For me.)

I was hoping on hearing some fife and drums playing in the background.

Big spot lights on the cannos at night. (Early morning and night.)

Over All:

For me I thought I was standing shoulder to shoulder with a fellow soldier. Waiting for the enemy to get close enough to fire my muzzleloader.

It brought back memories of history class.

Though it lacks in a few areas.

I feel this beta is at least... worth downloading and playing with for a few hours.

And I suggest dusting off and ol' history books and re-reading the chapter on the U.S. Civil War. (Before making missions.)

I think the Civil War Mod need feedback. (Constructive!!!)

Next release should be alot better.

I give this beta mod 3 1/2 bayonets!

(It would have scored lower if it wasn't a beta.)

Good Job..! To all who invested time on this project!

This is my unoffical review.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

PS. Now I finally got to play around with this mod.

I have uninstalled OFP!

And, "void_false" please don't give up on me. I promise to have those .wavs to you this week.

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Well, I'm excited! I've downloaded a lot of mods, and this one has left me awestruck! The smoke from the muskets, the bayonet fighting (seemed to work fine for me, though I'm not sure I got credit for all my kills), the postures...

It really put me in the mind of actually shooting the guns (as I have). The Gettysburg map is excellent, and evocative of the time. It also looks like it will serve beautifully for some historical scenarios of Gettysburg!

I think the range of units, for a mod, is stellar.

I played around a little bit, setting up a squad of Confederate infantry, which I led, and I made myself a sergeant using an infantryman so I had a rifle too. I placed 2 squads of Yankees in Gettysburg. I engaged one of them, shot till my men ran out of ammo (I did not use the excellent Sutler's Wagon that's included in the mod), then finished the rest with bayonets. Only then did I realize I had another squad to deal with! That came down to a desperate fight, again won with the bayonet. A supurb gaming experience!

Sure, I could pick nits. But I think this is one of the most unique mods to hit OFP, and one of the best done. Think about it... single-shot rifled muskets! I mean, a Thompson isn't that different from an M-16 in game terms, THIS set of weapons is! Kudos to all! biggrin_o.gif

Thank you for your input everyone.

All feedback is always welcome, whether it's good or bad.

We are aware of our modding limitations and have expressed that several times.

This mod is best that we, with our current knowledge, knew how to put together. Many answered our calls for help when we got stuck and we thank each and every one...

We'll try to fix several issues by next release...some still seem unsolvable for now.

I have no clue how that flashlight got in the cannons. There is no trace of it in any of the canons LODs ...  rock.gif

Textures overall...I made them the best I could, if anyone can make them a level better, please do, they will be included in the next release.

Groups/formations...that's pretty easy to do, I just ran out of time to include them in the configs. Will definitely be done by next release.

A drummer and a bugler were thought of, but we didn't find a way to make them make sound yet (except by sound being scripted to mission).

Bayonets should work. They're applied in the command prompt and the bayonet attack is carried out automatically when you are next to your enemy (how it all works I have no idea...it was all made by the chaps of UKF). You do not get credit for kills however, that is true. Also don't know why.

Range and accuracy is short on purpose. It was difficult to hit anything with those guns in that time.

hehehe...i just had a massive battle on the Gettysburg plains (excellent island), infantry and cannons all engaging in a very smokey and bloody fight.

This Mod deserves a lot of credit, minor bugs and needed fixes aside, i just had an excellent time...when i need to get up in 4 hours..bah.

I think the absence of prone position is unrealistic, there are times when one really needs to get down, and when i got wounded i got permanently in Standing position, couldnt even kneel, but im using custom anims and they might have conflicted with this mod's anims, dunno.

Congratulations to all involved.

No...

We removed all prone anims on purpose.

OFP engine is such that all soldiers hit the dirt when shooting starts.

As CW battles were not like that, there was no way around it (apart from "setunitpos UP") but to remove them and replace them with standing ones.

So now you have standing-crouching-standing instead of standing-crouching-prone.

Wounded are prone, therefore standing in our mod (good enough to limp off the battlefield  wink_o.gif  )

Some realism had to be sacrificed to gain it elsewhere.

Blood textures were considered, but then left out because:

1. it saves filesize

2. it saves processor/graphic resources in game

3. they're not really that important for gameplay

Maybe we will add them later, maybe not. Personally I'm not such a gore-fan.

Quote[/b] ]Blood textures were considered, but then left out because:
Quote[/b] ]they're not really that important for gameplay

You have guys standing there shooting at each other.

Gameplay involves pulling the trigger. rock.gif

Basically, this style of addon needs visual...I dont think the smoke was important for gameplay but it's a nice visual and enhances the addon.

...this is just my opinion but I think addons with no blood look like OFP version 1.46

Great mod, trig! smile_o.gif

The cannon as a vehicle class will have a default light even if u dont put it in the memory LOD, but no worries, all u need to do is to give it the normal light memory point but in the config, under class reflectors, u can set the light to nil. U can do it on your next upgrade, meanwhile sit back and enjoy your hard work smile_o.gif