Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

You seem to play down your work somehat.  rock.gif

You REALLY REALLY shouldnt do that because this mod is actually somewhat comparable to BAS, not because of addons which are not bad but not quite the BAS quality. Its because of the unique setting, weapons and other stuff never seen in OFP before!

Great work everyone who partisipated in making and releasing this mod!  wink_o.gif

Wow. wow_o.gif

Thank you.

We never thought we'd ever be compared to pro mods like BAS.

But yeah...we did put a lot of work into this. Said if we're already gonna make a period mod, we better make it right, and that should include proper anims, musket smoke, bayonets, proper artillery and objects... About 9 months of regular work by several people went into this.

My girlfriend hates me and OFP now, because I spent so much time doing this instead of *censored* with her.

Code all the day, and... Drink cups of coffee with her all the night? I'm sure you meant drinking a cup of coffee.

Quote[/b] ]OK guys, can some one help me.....I've downloaded the new mod 3 times (from the site) and when I go to extract the files I keep getting a "archive is corrupt" message.

I have the beta-which works fine-but I'd really love to have the new version!

I have dial up and I know all about this.

1. Did you use a DL manager, if you pause and stop a DL alot theres possiblity it can be corrupted.

2. Use Win Rar to ensure it extracts properly, the mod was packed in Win Rar.

3. I doubt theres any other site hosting the file, but if you didnt dl it from ofp.info, dl it there.

Alot of people dled the mod already (including myself) and have not stated any problems with the file. So it works, keep us updated on your situation.

Well, what can i say........the response to our latest release is simply overwhelming. However, all this would have never been accomplished without the help, support and motivation from the community.

Despite all our efforts, some things are still not o.k. so work will continue.

Just this afternoon i received a mail (Thank's Curt) that pointed out something i missed alltogether: in order to place our Gettysburg island properly into the worlds coordinate system, i just recently added the values for latitude and longitude into the config.cpp. Oooops, the value for latitude is 40, but should be -40. Means, Gettysburg really is somewhere close to Santiago De Chile. I don't know how fast we will be able to provide a fixed dl, for those who dont want to wait: drop me a mail and i send a fixed config or the entire pbo.

Sorry folks  sad_o.gif

So... What do the wrong coordinates really affect to?

So... What do the wrong coordinates really affect to?

Shadows cast in the wrong direction, sunup is two hours late.

That's about it.

Godspeed,

Pickett

I noticed something when i did play earlyer today...

The gettysburg sign is getting white at distance plz fix this when u can smile_o.gif

To "silent 'n deadly";

WinRar is free?? It says it's $28 after the 30 day trial....??

What happens after 30 days-does it go inoperable??

I got the mod up and going after using Winrar-all I can say is you guys deserve a modmaking prize!

Great,fantastic work!!!

I'm creating a mission now-the only question I have is-are you guys real fussy about historical accuracy??...like can I invent a mission that's mostly fictional??

What happens after 30 days-does it go inoperable??

then you can keep using it... tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]creating a mission now-the only question I have is-are you guys real fussy about historical accuracy??...like can I invent a mission that's mostly fictional??

Historical accuracy is hard to achieve. Make a mission based on something believable, or something that could of happened in the era of the Civil War. Otherwise, you wont see me complaining what regiment was where, or if his platoon was here, or that company there.

I dont know if this has been mentioned but I noticed it today.

-After putting a bayonet on and then taking it off, I cant reload my gun (I have ammo)

Bug?

Do the download links on your website work? I keep getting corrupted files whenever I'm able to download that are only 1kb in size?

I use winrar but whenever I download it all I get is this 1kb file that gives me some error when I try to open it like the guy before me?

Great,fantastic work!!!

I'm creating a mission now-the only question I have is-are you guys real fussy about historical accuracy??...like can I invent a mission that's mostly fictional??

First thank you.

Secondly...there is a great number of sites about Civil War that tell tales of big and small battles.

Try Googling them up and browsing through some of those to get a general idea of what it was like, then make something from the impressions you get.

We're not too fussy about historical accuracy whether this actually happened, as we are about a mission making sense in its context, or about what sort of weapons were used at what time in what place.

This mod is excellent. The addons are truly superb...it is so much fun to create a bunch of guys from the era and have them fire at each other...it is a demostration of the flexibility of the flashpoint engine smile_o.gif

I think the biggest problem with this mod currently is the lack of missions and the problems with creating tight formations with men standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

Which leads me to think of a possible solution to this problem, but I think it may be beyond the limits of the ofp engine. sad_o.gif This is complex, but it may create the ability to have perfectly firing and marching formation.

This may seem complex, but I'll try my best...the thing is you could create a scripted "APC" class vehicle that is entirely invisible except for its character proxies. Let's say we have a squad of 12 soldiers. 1 officer could be the "Driver/gunner" of this vehicle, while the rest are simply animated "ride in back" proxies.

An invisible weapon on this vehicle would be synchronized with the "ride in back" proxie's muskets so it appears, when fired, that the soldiers are firing from their muskets when in fact it is 1 invisible weapon on the vehicle. The weapon would have 11 "firing points"* (1 for each soldier)Not only would this make it appear that the soldiers are firing in perfect formation but it would give the appearance that they are firing in complete synchronization upon the order of an officer. Possibly by script the "firing point" * selection that corresponds to the proxy can be deleted when that proxy is killed or exits the formation. We don't want magic muzzle flashes that appear even if a guy is dead in the formation.

*a double-barreled shotgun has 2 firing points. the PBR in flashpoint has 2 firing points, because it has 2 .50 cals, in case you were unclear what I meant.

Also by script, maybe the soldiers could be ejected from the vehicle and animated upon death so corpses dont follow the rest of the formation "vehicle" around. However, one problem with this is that even though it will appear soldiers have fired shots their individual ammo will not be depleted if they decide to leave the formation.

Okay it sounds confusing, so I'll try to give an example.

We got a formation of guys. 1 officer, 11 soldiers. The officer gets in the driver of the formation and the rest of the soldiers ride in back. The officer "drives" the formation around, maybe a nice marching sound to replace an engine sound, and they are all animated like the BIS bicycle as they walk. They see an enemy, and the driver simply commands them like a tank by targeting the enemy. When they do this, they animate to raise their weapons, and like a tank the officer simply clicks and they all fire in synchronization because it is techincally, according the game engine, 1 weapon firing. When someone dies that "firing point" selection is removed and they are ejected from the formation.

It would most definately be an AI-only vehicle, because if the player were to enter the vehicle all his action would be involuntary. However, empty cargo position in the vehicle for the player to fill in if you want to do a mission.

Not sure if this idea would work...but eh...its my 2 cents.

-After putting a bayonet on and then taking it off, I cant reload my gun (I have ammo)

Works fine for me.

Tried putting it on and off several times and shot 10 rounds...

When bayonet gets attached or removed, aim is disabled. You cannot fire or reload then. But if you press space, aim is re-activated.

This may seem complex, but I'll try my best...the thing is you could create a scripted "APC" class vehicle that is entirely invisible except for its character proxies.

Well...if you can master such an operation, we'll be happy to inclue it in any next release.

I think though it can be done via somesort of a script, as Desantnik has already demonstrated in a demo mission he sent me, but he never actually delivered a finished one...

He had men advancing in line, firing, reinforcements coming, etc...quite splendid.

Wow, great mod guys! Huge advance from the beta that I also loved. Weapon reload times and accuracy are a lot better now, plus the fixed ammo problem. The groups come in real handy too.

By the way, what is the name of that song on the loading screen, and do you know where to get an .mp3 of it?

aaw...now I feel guilty about not finishing it...

I'll get up off my lazy ass and do it... xmas_o.gif

aaw...now I feel guilty about not finishing it...

I'll get up off my lazy ass and do it... xmas_o.gif

I know, that's why I said it tounge_o.gif

The more i setup some quick battles in the editor, the more i like this mod.

Certainly one of the finest mod i ever played for OFP (and i played a lot of them), not only it is unique because of the era selected but the execution is really good and high quality.

thank you again for releasing this masterpiece icon14.gif

Triglav do you have a weapons list for all of the weapon names in the mod, i can make decent mp missions without knowing the names.