Sign in to follow this  
Triglav

US Civil War Mod ver.1.0 Beta Released

What can I say.......very VERY interesting mod. Had a lot of fun just lining up some Union troops by the fences and sending in a ton of Confederates charging in. Worked pretty well with some WP manipulation. Had a large artillery battery in the background, roughly....24 or so. You need to slow down the animations for reloading so that way it doesnt seem so off with amount of time it takes. Also need to speed up the sprint animations because they move at normal speed but their legs do not. rock.gif Loved the sharpshooters but I just think they need to be more accurate considering their use, commonality and such. Didnt have much lag issues which was cool. The distance LODs do need to be edited but other then that, I didnt notice much wrong with this...oh...blood anims would be cool....but arent really needed. wink_o.gif Appreciate all the effort gone into it so far, and I hope you guys wont stop.

I always thought that every soldier had a rifled musket... plus, the death tolls were so high because of the high accuracy of the rifles that were standard issue. That also meant that the cavalry were pretty much useless due to the accuracy problem as well.

I always thought that every soldier had a rifled musket...  plus, the death tolls were so high because of the high accuracy of the rifles that were standard issue.  That also meant that the cavalry were pretty much useless due to the accuracy problem as well.

The high death tolls were for many different reasons including the tactics used, and the very poor medical and sanitation conditions present at that time period.  While the rifles were accurate, it still took a very experienced rifleman to take advantage of their accuracy.

Also charging across open fields against ranks of enemy rifleman shooting at you makes it so that even massed rifleman with poor accuracy can inflict very nasty tolls on the attackers. The extremely large caliber of the bullets used also caused horrific wounds.

Finally once the lines met, the viscious hand to hand combat usually resulted in a high death toll as generally a adversary was bayoneted, knifed, slashed and clubbed until they were dead.

Also cavalry was not always useless in the Civil War.  They could still often break the lines of lightly defended areas and served as important recon units much as small, fast unarmored and lightly armored vehicles today serve recon purposes.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]i wish i remembered how to create groups, because i'd be more than happy to set up different groups for this mod (cannon batterys, 12 man infantry units, etc).
Quote[/b] ]press F2 en drag a line between the guys you want to group?

I think he meant doing it in the cpp, not in the editor  rock.gif

they don't go prone? weird mine do... rock.gif    hmmm might be some sort of clash with the FDF mod i open flashpoint with..

Great mod, im really enjoying it, and havent noticed any lag with lots of squads either... *happy dance biggrin_o.gif

They can go prone, but not lie down?

How does this work with MP

Everything works fine in MP from what ive tested

How does this work with MP

Everything works fine in MP from what ive tested

Any servers playing it some sorta mission for it? That'd be really nice

Ive that the spencer rifle is fairly accurate. You just have to aim low and to the left a bit wink_o.gif

Offtopic but i got a new mouse and my middle scroll button no longer works. Someone else had a topic on this but it didnt help me sad_o.gif

Just a minor point, but there is a nice mansion in the northern part of the town of Gettysburg that I walked through the bottom of, like it was a clipping problem. It looks like the mansion may be sitting a little high off the ground. What I mean is that I didn't walk through the building normally, it looked like I was looking from up under the model.

Anyone else have that problem?

It is a stellar map, though. Really compliments the units well, and looks like a great map of the real battleground!

got the mod and was pleased as hell boys...........good work!

the only prob i've had so far is at startup with a missing enfield addon but was still able to play.

i'm using general barons custom formation script as well

as toadlife's weapon respawn script for this as well but the ai

still seems to scatter a bit to much. I even used migs mule to tour my line .gunna add 4-5 more groups on cemetery and have at it agin.

keep up the good work

ps:hows the horse anims and script coming along?

everything looks dead over in the other thread.

bigus

I can honestly say this is the best mod for ofp i played so far. The animations are awesome. Maybe thats why it so good, new content. I most certainly will be having a Civil War LAN party tommorow. Speaking of LAN, I need to whip up a few missions. I need to know How to the make a AI group tell there group to fix bayonets. Ive tried:

"This Action ["Order: Fix Bayonets"]"

and a few other similar things but they didnt work. And I must say the bayonet fighting is awesome to the hightest degree.

The ammo is a problem. 10 rounds certainly isnt enough (even if you pick a Colt of a dead officer) I dont know if you know about it, Theres a line you can put in the Config where you can make magazines not take up any space, I used that with Gavins Nap. Units. However the units will think they dont have any ammo and keep saying their out of ammo. But we are in teh civil war and you can turn off the radio audio.

Ive tested it to confirm it work (again) and it does

magazineType = 0.5 * WeaponSlotPrimary;

That would go under the whatever weapon in CFGWeapons

Example:

class CfgWeapons

{

class Default {};

class MGun: Default {};

class Riffle: Mgun {};

class gun: Riffle

{

scopeWeapon=2;

scopeMagazine=2;

model="";

modelOptics="";

picture="";

optics=1;

magazineType = 0.5 * WeaponSlotPrimary; // This is it

};

};

Once again i dont know if you knew about the above but there it is, and its an option.

EDIT-

Oh and another thing, In battle, ive attached my bayonet to my rifle and for some reason i couldnt do anything, couldnt move, or even drop my gun. This hasnt happened often but has happened.

-EDIT2 Just read most of the posts in the topic, figured out how to make AI groups Fix bayonets.

Finally once the lines met, the viscious hand to hand combat usually resulted in a high death toll as generally a adversary was bayoneted, knifed, slashed and clubbed until they were dead.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hi Miles Teg,

concerning the extraordinary high death rate during the War for Southern Independence your post is correct in all but one case.

For some reason people did rarely use the bayonet, after the Battle of Gettysburg less than a handfull casualties were reported to be caused by bayonet wounds.

Clubbing, beating, even throwing rocks are mentioned in almost every eyewitness accaunt.

Sentences like "the bayonet was freely used" in later written accaunts seem to have founded this widely believed tale.

"We gave 'em the cold steel"  or "the field was swept with the bayonet" sounds pretty tough, but actually stabbing somebody is something most people shy away from.

Anyway, the bayonet was common back then and i'm glad we could implement it in our mod.

Godspeed,

Pickett

1. ...You need to slow down the animations for reloading so that way it doesnt seem so off with amount of time it takes. Also need to speed up the sprint animations because they move at normal speed but their legs do not....

2. Loved the sharpshooters but I just think they need to be more accurate considering their use, commonality and such....

1. The animation time seem to be defined by OFP engine.

Originally the reload anim was made with a timing of around 7-9 seconds, but OFP assigns only 3 seconds to reloading a gun, so it plays it out in that time.  sad_o.gif

The sprinting...must be an issue with us overwriting the prone fast crawl with sprint anims. Again, not much we can do about it (if you disable our anims the soldiers will sprint and go prone normally...).

2. Sharpshooter rifles are more accurate than muskets. Berdan Sharps rifle just somewhat, but Whitworth is substantialy more accurate, and with a scope as well...Still they were not like modern day rifles, as black powder burns slowly, does not give a muzzle velocity as rifles get today, therefore also the bullet's flight is not as straight.

At other addressed issues.

I keep getting mail about this or that.

Why doesn't the gun fire after bayonet is attached?

How do I get the mod working?

Why does cannon only fire 1 shot?

Well I have some questions too!

Why don't people read the readme.txt?

Or info we provided on the site (Addons)?

Or even previous posts in a thread?  mad_o.gif

Ok...other addons...planed for the near future:

-release of Chattanooga campaign map

-Zouave units

-possibly a few more weapons (LeMat revolver, Richmond rifle, Austrian musket)

-Gatling gun (It's already done, but we need to fix the barrel rotation anim problem)

-camp objects (tents, mess tents, medic tent -have in fact thought about the operating table with a one-legged guy myself-, rifle stacks, more wagons, etc.)

-have actually discussed making Fort Wagner with Pickett even before someone posted it here (as we are aware that movies supply most education about history nowadays)

-I was thinking about CW armoured ships, but that's a big deal of learning, so for now I'll skip it.

If anyone wants to contribute in making anything, please do.

This is not a private mod. We already put a lot of external help into it (read the list in About us on our site).

If you have an idea and the capability to do it, contact us so we don't start working on the same thing, then do it.

Speaking of LAN, I need to whip up a few missions. I need to know How to the make a AI group tell there group to fix bayonets. Ive tried:

"This Action ["Order: Fix Bayonets"]"

look for my post on page 3...

To ofpforum:

I even put your solution to our page under Addons/Weapons/Bayonet

WE NEED VMI CADETS FOR THE BATTLE OF NEW MARKET!!!!!!!!!!

great job on this amazing mod, i will never play another mod again, i love the civil war, and wnated this for ever, i would forever be the happiest little boy alive if VMI cadets were to come out... i love you guys, in a platonic way though.... Thank you for hours of happiness and joy...

I kinda have an idea for the ammo thing but have no idea if it works.

put the ammo in some sort of "bags" (like clips). make the reloading animation after each shot and when the bag runs out of shots just hit reload and the anim comes in again and you have like 40 more shots to use.

think it's confusing? me too biggrin_o.gif

WE NEED VMI CADETS FOR THE BATTLE OF NEW MARKET!!!!!!!!!!

I'll make them, don't worry.

They're not that different from other soldiers.

But I'll need to make the Austrian musket for them first, it's what they had at New Market.

Ok...other addons...planed for the near future:

-release of Chattanooga campaign map

-Zouave units

-possibly a few more weapons (LeMat revolver, Richmond rifle, Austrian musket)

-Gatling gun (It's already done, but we need to fix the barrel rotation anim problem)

-camp objects (tents, mess tents, medic tent -have in fact thought about the operating table with a one-legged guy myself-, rifle stacks, more wagons, etc.)

-have actually discussed making Fort Wagner with Pickett even before someone posted it here (as we are aware that movies supply most education about history nowadays)

-I was thinking about CW armoured ships, but that's a big deal of learning, so for now I'll skip it.

So how long time will it be for the next realease to come out ?? 1-2 months? would love to see tents and those addons u said biggrin_o.gif just tell us if it will take long time or not tounge_o.gif

Well we worked long and hard to get things this far, we'll take it a bit more easy now with consequent addons. Most likely 2 months is realistic.

Cool.  I'm almost finished with a nice mission for it that I'll post here today or tomorrow that has a nice movie intro that you guys are welcomed to use and modify as I'm sure you guys could make it much more historically accurate.  

The intro movie uses some of the music from Ken Burn's documentary on the Civil War and depicts Union probes into the areas around Ghettysburg and a Confederate ambush of one of these Union recon units. Its followed by a pretty Southern Bell standing on her porch with a Confederate Colonel listening to the gunshots wondering about the future of Ghettysburg. In the mission however you play the part of a Union infantryman storming Ghettysburg with 3 squads and artillery support. Two squads take the flanks with the third squad assaulting the middle with the goal of taking an artillery position in the middle of Ghettysburg. Its crazy stuff with confederate snipers in the buildings. smile_o.gif They also fix bayonets and use them. smile_o.gif

Anyhooo... you guys should enjoy it.

However I have a question... were the Berden sharpshooters used as full units or were they attached to regular infantry units as snipers?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I'll report now about huge bug. wink_o.gif

Civil war mod units use radios! crazy_o.gif

They should communicate with each other by screaming or talking.