Sign in to follow this  
Sudden Death

Operation Black Mamba - UPDATED!

Hello,

Just a problem : at the beginning of the mission, Three of my Six rangers are dead maybe because they're lying on the beach,perhaps too close to water......

Hi df2dpxs !

Sorry for the late answer but we have trouble with our site hoster at this time.

You must disable the ECP Mod and you don´t have more this problem. I hope i can help you - for more information please read the attached F.a.Q and Readme.txt documents.

Greetings

Chaos

welcome.gif

Thank you !  rofl.gif

Update by Chaos:

Yesterday i been told that there were problems in the mission at the first rebel camp. Sometimes you couldnt proceed cause the borders that limited the area werent removed after retriving the data. This was caused because some variables werent deleted. A new version was updated and uploaded.

Im a bit unhappy with the fact that so many downloaded the mission and noone felt a urge to tell me about this problem. The solution would have been very simple... sit down and type me a note about it...

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>Fixed Version </span>

banghead.gif

Can you please update the link for the fixed version.

I have some big troubles playing the mission:

After clearing the first camp and retrieving data and reading the info about Mr Okaba I walk away with my squad some 200m and the game CTD.

And no it's not the memory, not the swap file and not Tonal since I played other missions there without any CTD. Must be something in the mission file.

Hope this is fixed in the latest version. I downloaded the December version from ofpmdb.de

Link for actual version of Operation Black Mamba:

http://www.ofpmdb.net/include....ntid=59

I´m 99% shure that your problem comes from a wrong editorupgrade. Please take care that you use the Mapfact-Version. There shouldn´t be another editorupgrade (like mikeros or other) in the addon- or RES/addon-folder.

Hope it could be a little help

Kind regards

Sudden Death

Link for actual version of Operation Black Mamba:

http://www.ofpmdb.net/include....ntid=59

I´m 99% shure that your problem comes from a wrong editorupgrade. Please take care that you use the Mapfact-Version. There shouldn´t be another editorupgrade (like mikeros or other) in the addon- or RES/addon-folder.

Hope it could be a little help

Kind regards

Sudden Death

I downloaded the mission from ofpdmb and I have exactly the problem that was described by chaos studios.

After retrieving the data and reading the booklet at the first camp. As soon as reinfrocements appear I can't escape anywhere, I will by bombed by (mortar or something) even when I flee more than 2 km away from the camp. So that's why I suspect that the version ready to download on ofpmdb is not the fixed version of the mission.

PS. @suddendeath I will try with only the map editorupgrade. I've got mikeros update GENB editorupdate Mapfact editorupgrade all in addons folder so that could cause the problem.

Hey is there anybody in our community who could make one update which contains all the editorupdates floating around?

Do not mix Mikero's with GENB (as they are the same product, being Mikero's newer), but you may mix any of them with MAP editorupgrade.

There are over 2900 DL´s but only 19 votes and not very much more comments. So i see now there are only three persons are interestet on this different Laser units version.  I dont think more then 3 people would be intrested in it.

Sorry for my english.

I'm really sorry to say this:

But after trying about 30 times to play your mission, I think the mission is useless!

Maybe I doing any mistake I'm not aware of, but I tried every thing, every path and every strategy you can think of make this mission and the result is always the same:

as soon as I retrieve the data from the first rebel camp and get the info about Mr. Okaba then I move in ANY direction from the camp I get bombed by mortars, and it doesn't matter if any enemy has spotted me or not. the grenades just fly from nowhere like if they would magically be attached to my squad. Total nonsense!¨

Sorry I give up on this mission. First I thought it would be a superb mission but this is just a joke. From my point of view I cannot recommend it to anybody! It's just wasting time!

@SuddenDeath And yes I just used the editorupdate that is recommended in the readme. So I don't know what I have done wrong!

Some advise for future missions:

Keep it more simple and feasible! Don't make decisions for the player, the player can make himself! (Like what direction he wants to go to attack, when he wants to call the radio buddy and so on.) There is a lot of things that I really like in your mission, but it's just overdone with scripts that eventually brake the mission so that it's unplayable. Next time forget about this stupid mortar coming from nowhere, this is just total unrealistic! Just assemble a good mission and let the player decide how, when and what way he would to go!

Sorry to hear that, but can´t change anything. I can only contact Chaos to told him from your problems. I´ve checked the download -the version you downloaded is def the last and fixed version from 2006-03-20.

Quote[/b] ]After clearing the first camp and retrieving data and reading the info about Mr Okaba I walk away with my squad some 200m and the game CTD.
Quote[/b] ]as soon as I retrieve the data from the first rebel camp and get the info about Mr. Okaba then I move in ANY direction from the camp I get bombed by mortars, and it doesn't matter if any enemy has spotted me or not. the grenades just fly from nowhere like if they would magically be attached to my squad.

Here is my way to play the mission like it works:

- Clear the first camp, get the notebook-data from the tent and the intel document from the barracks - all till 7:50 o´clock

- do the sitrep between 7:50 and 7:51 o´clock. There should be a radio call that you have the permission to go east and JohnClark talk to his team "Lets go and find the guy" or something like this. After this the invisible mortar-dead-zone will be deleted and you can go into the jungle.

I know this is not the freedom you know from OFP, but I think and agree with Chaos - its a way like a real specop operation would be. There´s everytime an operation center that say where and when you have to go. There´s a detailed mission order given, not only an objective to complete.

Please do no endless discussion about that fact, its the only way to play the mission.

S.D.

@Sudden Death

It's really time to stop playing chaoses' atturney, and to face it once and for all that this is a lousy mission. It have more than a year of making process behind it, it have a zilion updates since then, but it's still a lousy mission, and playing it as Kroky says is nothing but wasting of time!

This mission is a fine exsample, how some wants to show what an uber scripters they are, but the only thing they're proving is in fact how untalented mission makers they are.

It's a shame, because once you get over the first objective, the mission is a joy to play.

It's >very< difficult to get the camp cleared by 0750hrs without triggering the alert and bringing in hordes of Rebels, then you have to retrieve the notebook/data and huddle up to your RTO in time for the 1-minute window. All just to activate the second objective.

The mission really "opens up" afterwards. The open palm forest is great to fight in, as it's easy to keep your team together and you can often spot enemy patrols in time to avoid them thumbs-up.gif

Again, I sometimes have problems getting the RTO's evac command at the end. If the mission is updated, I'd really recommend just using "traditional" radio commands. I also have the shelling problems since downloading the update.

I hope chaos doesn't get put off by all this though, there's clearly a diamond here that just needs a few tiny flaws taking away.

Cheers,

CH

@Karantan

Stop blaming me!

Your words didn´t get more content by repeating. There are a lot of other high quality missions like "When the world ends" and some of the MEC 2004 missions f.e. which are also limited by what to do and when. Are these missions as bad as you talk about Chaos´ Mission?!

@Korky

Quote[/b] ]Sorry I give up on this mission. First I thought it would be a superb mission but this is just a joke. From my point of view I cannot recommend it to anybody! It's just wasting time!

Sad feedback, but better than nothing.

I agree with you that this is not a fully dynamic mission like "Dynamic Afgahnistan" or other Capture the Island - missions.

This mission has a concrete storyline which is told by completed objectives and given orders. Maybe an other mission maker had made a 4 or 5 mission campaign:

1. mission: clear the camp

2. mission: destroy whatever

3. mission: find Okaba

4. mission: escape from the jungle

5. mission: evac from the island

Is this the better way? Chaos put all these parts in one mission, maybe that was a mistake?!

@cornhelium

Quote[/b] ] I sometimes have problems getting the RTO's evac command at the end.

This problem should be solved with the first release version 1.0R and if all objectives are done.

Quote[/b] ]It's >very< difficult to get the camp cleared by 0750hrs without triggering the alert and bringing in hordes of Rebels, then you have to  retrieve the notebook/data and huddle up to your RTO in time for the 1-minute window. All just to activate the second objective.

No, you have to find an intel document which told you where  you have to search for Okaba. Its not important to clear the camp by 0750 or to send the sitrep, but it makes it a little bit easier.

@all

For all who problems or give up after the first part - please read the Operation Black Mamba - Walkthrough. There are a lot of hints how you can beat this mission.

This mission is like a wom...(diamond) after some hardworking laser and polishing sessions, one get in his hands the most appreciable piece of nature or simply a trophy.

First, one must be able to recognize the required sort of diamond.

Second, one must convert is knowledge into a "Savoir-Faire".

One can always open a *.pbo and modify a mission to suit his/her needs or simply enjoy the author's time and efforts also the kindness of sharing their work and knowledge.

If you ain't know how to edit a mission or modify scripts yet then make it a challenge to lurk arround and learn from the bests. It won't take long before you will catch up.

This Operation Black Mamba received a few awards from real experts from the whole gaming community. Please note that i said experts not spychotics.

From that, it is clear that the Chaos Studios provided you a good skeleton and now it is up to you to add muscles, skins and keeping it lean as desired.

@Korky
Quote[/b] ]Sorry I give up on this mission. First I thought it would be a superb mission but this is just a joke. From my point of view I cannot recommend it to anybody! It's just wasting time!

Sad feedback, but better than nothing.

I agree with you that this is not a fully dynamic mission like "Dynamic Afgahnistan" or other Capture the Island - missions.

This mission has a concrete storyline which is told by completed objectives and given orders. Maybe an other mission maker had made a 4 or 5 mission campaign:

1. mission: clear the camp

2. mission: destroy whatever

3. mission: find Okaba

4. mission: escape from the jungle

5. mission: evac from the island

Is this the better way? Chaos put all these parts in one mission, maybe that was a mistake?!

@Suddendeath

I've got some positive feedback for you too!

I'm really glad ofpmdb does exist, since there are not many sites out there dedicated for missions. And the larger part of the mission on the site is good or even very good quality.

Concerning the Operation Black Mamba, I think ofpchaos chose a good way to pack it all in one mission. The main point that discourges me (not to say makes me angry) is the stupid shelling when I try to go another way that the mission maker has intended. I accept the fact that he would like to force the storyline, but this should be to the choice of the player if he wants to see the main story or not.

Once I managed to retrieve the data from the laptop and had the information from the booklet and I left the camp with my squad immediately to the far south (maybe 2 km or even more) before reinforcements arrived. I enjoyed the fact to get the data and that I got away without losing any team member and wanted to go on with the mission........and than black screen loaded saying updating retry position and the stupid shelling begun and wiped out my squad and me! Wtf did ofpchaos think by implementing this in the mission?

It should be possible to get away without getting in the fierce fight or even before I can radio anything. When the time window opened I was busy with the firefight in the camp and could not sitrep. So what do I have to do to avoid this senseless shelling? Send sitrep or what? Or does the shelling occur anyway as soon as reinforcements are alerted?

The story plot and the ambience in the mission is very good and the detailed camp is done very good. But ofpchaos fucked up the mission with his "if you don't go the way I want you to go, then I simply kill you and your squad by shelling you with mortars".

So how to avoid this shelling?

My advise to ofpchaos: Just remove this stupid script with the shelling and this mission could be a very good one!

Quote[/b] ] I left the camp with my squad immediately to the far south (maybe 2 km or even more) before reinforcements arrived. ...  and the stupid shelling begun and wiped out my squad and me!

Allright, it seems that you run into the delimitation of the mission area. Was there some hints like "I dont think were at the right way... we better turn around." ?

Quote[/b] ]So what do I have to do to avoid this senseless shelling? Send sitrep or what? Or does the shelling occur anyway as soon as reinforcements are alerted?

I think you´re at the right way:

spoiler from the walktrough

- prevent that the biker escape, then reinforcements wont come

- don´t use the radio in the tent

- if you run into a firefight, let your team remove silencer

- wait near the camp for further orders after the sitrep, it will take 30 - 60 seconds

- if you cant send the sitrep intime, but camp is clear, data retrieved and document found - JohnClark will talk "Hmmm... Perhaps we'd take a look further east...". After this you can go into the jungle.

S.D.

@ kroky

You don´t need to send the SitRep. When you need too many time for the fight - the mission will go on after pass the 0750 time-window w/o SitRep. I must set the border triggers in one of the latest versions because some players moving in the false direction. So you can move only in the one direction now.

This mission is not 100% variable but many, many things and details are it. I will use more Variablity in my next missions.

Enemys reinforcements will only come in the camp when the biker escapes or you use the rebels radio.

For more informations <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>READ THE WALKTHROUGH by Suddie <span style='color:red'>WARNING: SPOILER !</span></span>

After your relation i tested this night the mission with all possible ways (over 6 times played) and found 0 bugs. All ways (SitRep or w/o SitRep) are working. Evacuation works likewise w/o problems if you have all objectives done.

Sorry, but my english is not good enough for better discussion.... ....and my Nick is "chaos" - i must name me "ofpchaos" here because "chaos" was allready given to other user. wink_o.gif

karantan these forums are not here for people to air their dirty laundry, resolve such things in private please.

@ kroky

You don´t need to send the SitRep. When you need too many time for the fight - the mission will go on after pass the 0750 time-window w/o SitRep. I must set the border triggers in one of the latest versions because some players moving in the false direction. So you can move only in the one direction now.

This mission is not 100% variable but many, many things and details are it. I will use more Variablity in my next missions.

Enemys reinforcements will only come in the camp when the biker escapes or you use the rebels radio.

For more informations <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>READ THE WALKTHROUGH by Suddie <span style='color:red'>WARNING: SPOILER !</span></span>

After your relation i tested this night the mission with all possible ways (over 6 times played) and found 0 bugs. All ways (SitRep or w/o SitRep) are working. Evacuation works likewise w/o problems if you have all objectives done.

Sorry, but my english is not good enough for better discussion....  ....and my Nick is "chaos" - i must name me "ofpchaos" here because "chaos" was allready given to other user.  wink_o.gif

@chaos

Ok so if I understand right the only way to solve the first part of the mission is only when I don't let the biker escape? As soon as the biker escapes the mission is lost?

How can you explain this:

1. Once the reinforcements came to the camp I waited for them with my squad in the huts and the tents right in the camp a good firefight began and BAM....the shelling began again and bombed the whole camp away! I didn't even move away to any direction.

2. on another occasion I moved right away from the camp in the direction of the second objective (of course after file retrieving and reading of booklet) with the same effect, as soon as went through the palm forest to the location where Okaba should be held BAM.....the shelling again!

3. another try, I retrieved data, read the booklet and was fleeing as soon as possible away from the camp to the south and BAM....yes again the shelling!

4. again another strategy, I cleared the camp retrieved the data, read the booklet go back to the beach where I started hide in the bushes and wait for the reinforcements and guess what?......BAM....yes you got it, the shelling again.

5. The only time I didn't experience any shelling was when I killed the biker and went on with the mission, the warning came "this is the wrong way, we should turn around" I ignored this, went on where the dead bodies lie, I hear "bastards", go on the the road try to eliminate the machine gun and the game CTD. Tried again the same strategy again the game CTD exactly on the same spot!

My questions:

- How do I avoid the shelling (or put it this way what does trigger the shelling?)

- And even a better question: What line in the mission scripting do I have to remove to avoid the shelling at all?

Would appreciate some help.

Quote[/b] ]Ok so if I understand right the only way to solve the first part of the mission is only when I don't let the biker escape? As soon as the biker escapes the mission is lost?

not at all, but if he reach the reinforcements, a lot of enemy troops run to the camp and a heavy firefight begins.

You always has the chance to survive, but you´ll loose a part of your men.

Quote[/b] ]How do I avoid the shelling (or put it this way what does trigger the shelling?)

DONT RELEASE THE ALERT in the first camp! There´s a 50% decision by a script that send you some shells. I think you did a quicksave after this decision and thats wy the shells always came.

Take care about the following facts

- equip all of your squad with silenced weapons

- first kill the alarmposts near the beach to avoid alerting

- try to be fast and deadly (like a Black Mamba) clearing the camp without alerting

- don´t use the rebel radio, the guy will send you some shells too

- after the camp is clear, let the team remove silencer and wait near the camp till the situation is quiet (means no more enemy troops).

- then move into the jungle

- put on the silencers before you "meet" the next enemies

Quote[/b] ]The only time I didn't experience any shelling was when I killed the biker and went on with the mission, the warning came "this is the wrong way, we should turn around" I ignored this, went on where the dead bodies lie, I hear "bastards", go on the the road try to eliminate the machine gun and the game CTD. Tried again the same strategy again the game CTD exactly on the same spot!

I´ll try some sessions at the weekend to find out why!

Kind regards

Sudden Death

I think he is moved too far from the camp. The bordertrigger are only 50-200 meters around the camp. Kroky tells us something about 2km movement to south or about the first massgrave. All this is outside the removable borders. You can move in this areas only after clearing the first camp, getting the Notebook and finding the documents.

@ Kroky

I think you have leaving the mission area. For this mission you don´t use complete Tonal island. The "Operation Area" is only a short strip. Size ca. 4x2.5 km.

Again, I sometimes have problems getting the RTO's evac command at the end. If the mission is updated, I'd really recommend just using "traditional" radio commands. I also have the shelling problems since downloading the update.

Yes that was in early versions the problem and i has it again after the update. But in the last version Satcom does works w/o problems. I don´t will remove the CHSBCS (Battlefield Communication System) from the mission. I think its very good script and when i remove it the mission will loose many charme and some points of quality.

firefoxlover.gif

Saluto, companieros!

I had once played the previous version of the mission and I liked it very much despite a few drawbacks that generally didn't spoil the gameplay that much. BTW - I really dunno why there was so much mess with all those complaints with it? ... I find the mission very amusing, carefully elaborated and on top of that allowing me to play it my favourite hard core style which consists mainly of "keep - it - real" attitude which is great: real-life tactics, real - life behavoiur and thrilling environment. However, I decided to play the new version a few months ago and it turned out to be a little confusing. In the end I managed, using this thread, to solve the problem with the teammates drowning at the very beginning etc., but I have never seen the intro yet!! banghead.gif each time when the mission starts and the intro gets downloaded it ends up with the error message from the interface that there has been something wrong with the "soar/soarpilots". it says; "error loading bas_soar/bas_soarpilotw.p3d (Magic). help.gif Thanks

This must be addon conflict. Maybe you have incompatibile version of the BAS Blackhawks, BAS Littlebirds or BAS Pilots. Please check the versions. Please check the Readme and F.a.Q.txt for solve this problem. This problem is known and only one possible solution is rechanging these addons with the right versions. wink_o.gif

If you have more problems in the mission visit the ofpmdb page

Allright, I guess you're quite right and I'll will try to sort it out right away - I mean as soon as I have my hands back on my PC; the laptop I am using at the moment is not very useful when it comes to OFP and refers to any form of a gameplay sad_o.gif .

BTW,thinking back of the mission in it's former shape I can recall perfrctly that there was something about the airstrike availabiliheck?!ty. But I can also remember pretty well that despite being in a real trouble, I couldn't utilize any suport as there wasn't any option to do so ... What the heck mad_o.gif What for do we need that Hornet addon then? ... Did I miss anything playing it before? ...

You can call the airsupport to destroy the enemy tankcolumn. If you don´t have possiblity to call the Hornets and the tanks are comming you must check the objectives - maybe you don´t have all of these done.

First of all - damn those nasty typing mistakes that I tend to come across all the time whenever I have just added my reply; if you happen to find any - shoot them point blank, please pistols.gif

Well, I have finally managed to watch the intro - it was a matter of installing the correct versions of the addons required, just like you had advised - thanks again! Maybe it's not the most thrilling intro I have ever seen, but it definitely explains a lot and truly helps one to immerse himself in the atmosphere and creates a proper mood for a good gameplay. And in terms of technical correctness there is nothing to complain - with the exception of the last few shots, showing the Ranger team in a Zodiac offshore the Tonalese coast; I think it would be good idea to utilize the NV view in those, just to have the scenes neat & clear. But certainly it's a minor thing ...

Allright, sticking to the point - I am going to give the new version a go tonight. yay.gif I haven't gotten through the whole thread, so I might get wrong and misunderstand something. If so let me know if another beta test as I assume is desired or not? ... I could probably post one afterwards.

Cheers!

Rangers lead the way!