Sign in to follow this  
kavoven

Heavy Earthquake in Asia

Earthquake Forecast Program Has Amazing Success Rate [NASA]

Quote[/b] ]A NASA funded earthquake prediction program has an amazing track record. Published in 2002, the Rundle-Tiampo Forecast has accurately predicted the locations of 15 of California's 16 largest earthquakes this decade, including last week's tremors.

Ironic isn't it?

I heard something on the news here as well about it. The US, Europe and Japan all have detection grids and active programs that can predict earthquakes at least weeks before they happen and in many cases months ahead. Southeast Asia doesn't have the resources to set up an equivalent.

Hopefully this will change now. It's good to see that the economic help has started coming in. The EU has dispatched some €3 million for help with a pledge of €10 mil. or more if needed.

On a different topic, they reported in the Swedish media that to prevent an epidemic, they've begun burning the bodies of the dead - more often than not without their ID being established.

The sad thing is that people seems to forget things like these in less than a couple of years. Last year on the same day December 26th Iran had an earthquake that killed 40 000 people. Things like these happens now and then but if it doesn't affect people from the west it will be forgotten.

Yup, on CNN they siad in some form or another, it hit Somalia

The sad thing is that people seems to forget things like these in less than a couple of years. Last year on the same day December 26th Iran had an earthquake that killed 40 000 people. Things like these happens now and then but if it doesn't affect people from the west it will be forgotten.

Actually, the estimates went down from 40,000 to some 20-30k.

And I'm sure that the Iranians havn't forgotten about it.

So it was an Iranian loss?

Since Iranians perished, yes. Of course we should give assistance on early-warning systems, which I'm sure we've done.

And as iNeo said, what's there to talk about? It was a natural disaster. It was horrific, but there's very little that I can do from Sweden to prevent future ones. I'm sure that the Iranians reviewed the building codes and that new buildings will be far better built. It's a natural disaster - it happens.

The same goes for this latest quake. There's little to do now but to see the extent of the disaster. I'm confident that the EU and others will provide adequate economic and technological help for rebuilding.

What exactly is it that you want? A "War on the Tectonic Plates"? Should we retaliate against that bitch, Mother Earth? Nuke her a couple of times? Would that make you feel better? rock.gif

No, I'm sorry, that wouldn't be your position. Would you want a UN resolution condemning earthquakes?

Ultimately it's a natural disaster, we can provide short term help for the vicitims and help the rebuilding process. We're doing it now in Asia and we did so in Iran as well. In the long term it's the responsibility of the local governments to put up adequate warning protections. And that at best can only reduce the number of casualties in the future. Natural disasters happen and there isn't anything you can do about it.

So apart from counting the dead, what exactly are you suggesting we're supposed to do?

Prepare yourselfs. sad_o.gif

With so many missing people with must be prepared for a death toll of more than 50.000.

And as iNeo said, what's there to talk about? It was a natural disaster. It was horrific, but there's very little that I can do from Sweden to prevent future ones. I'm sure that the Iranians reviewed the building codes and that new buildings will be far better built. It's a natural disaster - it happens.

The same goes for this latest quake. There's little to do now but to see the extent of the disaster. I'm confident that the EU and others will provide adequate economic and technological help for rebuilding.

What exactly is it that you want? A "War on the Tectonic Plates"? Should we retaliate against that bitch, Mother Earth? Nuke her a couple of times? Would that make you feel better? rock.gif

No, I'm sorry, that wouldn't be your position. Would you want a UN resolution condemning earthquakes?

I think you have not understood what Llauma was trying to say with this Iran disaster reminder, it was not some dodgy accusation or even personnal attacks.

Just caring and not forgetting even if no countrymates or relatives are victims in a natural disaster, that is what llauma was saying with that Iran example.

At least several terrible events has some memorial day each years, it helps to continue caring and not forgetting by eminding you those events.

But without reminder, you will just stop caring with the time because you will have forget what occured (or just have put the event in an away secondary place of your memory) and the impact on life of thousands when it has occured.

Personnally i find sad the fact such horrible disaster strikes my mind for a certain time, months or years, then with the time, my caring seems to disappear with the memory of the event.

Only some reminder can wake it up and remind me my forgotten feelings.

The hotel I worked for in Phuket cannot be reached (dusit Laguna Resort Hotel). I hope they are all fine. However a friend of mine is in charge for the Accor hotels in that region and he said there is one Sofitel that they have no communication with. I think he is taking the first flight to get there... might give you some news on that soon.

News:

Jet Li and his wife are ok, and they will leave Maldives soon.

smile_o.gif

Huang Feihong never die...

A little good news in this horror story.

A sign of these last days. xmas_o.gif

Amazing, the whole island of Sumatra was moved 100ft to the southwest by this quake and caused a disruption in the Earth's rotation.

Incredible.

Amazing, the whole island of Sumatra was moved 100ft to the southwest by this quake and caused a disruption in the Earth's rotation.

Incredible.

Source?

According to the CBC, the DART (Which is a Canadian Forces Disaster Response unit) will not be deployed at the moment, although a total of 4 million (could have been billion, the T-80UM1 was firing at me and I may have misheard the number) is made available for disaster relief, along with many supplies and a Canadian Forces Airbus will also be deployed to lift supplies in.

Damn, I live in the Philippines (Just NE) of the quake and i sure am glad it didnt reach up to here, except for some shocks though. And yea, i truly am sad for those who lost their lives

We are being told over here in the UK that its 40,000 dead now. This is terriable, really terriable.

I believe that the EU has now pledged 21.5 million (again not sure if this is correct) for aid immediatly with alot more to come.

Terrible.

Hi

Just read this Report from someone on one of the islands I stoped on in Thailand Ko Lanta.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?ID=73690

My real fear though is for those on Railay beach near Krabi. It is a Peninsular with a flat neck of land only metres above the sea at its highest point. This is where thousands of tourist bungalows are many of my rock climbing buddies spend christmas there, I had hoped to do the same this year.

The map on this page shows the land the bit on the middle of the neck is where all the tourist bungalows are.

http://www.railay.com/railay/climbing/climbing_intro.shtml

I am praying for all those there, especialy my budies King, Tex, Tod and the rest who run the climbing courses there.

I already heard reports from Ko Phi Phi another climbers resort where the Tourist Hotel Geography is exactly the same. Aparently it was according to the BBC reporter Obliterated with only the smell of death left.

God this is terrible sad_o.gif

Walker

Incredible.

Source?

I read the part about the Earths rotation in yesterdays newspaper - Orlando Sentinel.

We are being told over here in the UK that its 40,000 dead now. This is terriable, really terriable.

I believe that the EU has now pledged 21.5 million (again not sure if this is correct) for aid immediatly with alot more to come.

Terrible.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20041228/ap_on_re_as/quake_tidal_wave

Quote[/b] ]Tidal Waves Death Toll Rises to 44,000