Sign in to follow this  
cobra@pulse

War Quotes/Sayings

"Who fights with sword, dies because of sword"

"On war and in love all tricks r allowed" (french one wink_o.gif)

"Come home with this shield or upon it" - Spartan woman equiping her son for war. (Rome is great for quotes)

Greece.  wink_o.gif

"Those, that beat their swords into plowshares, will plow for those that don't." - Unknown

"The purpose of all war is ultimately peace." -Saint Augustine

"Come home with this shield or upon it" - Spartan woman equiping her son for war. (Rome is great for quotes)

Greece.  wink_o.gif

He was referring to rome total war   tounge_o.gif

"Si Vic pacem, para bellum" - Vegetius, Roman General

Another version:

"Willst du Frieden, rüste dich für den Krieg."

Another bunch of quotes:

www.quotationspage.com[/url'>)]War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children.
www.quotationspage.com)]Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed.
www.quotationspage.com[/url'>)]The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.
www.quotationspage.com)]You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.

xmas_o.gif

Hi

<act as ancient history freak>

The quote Oderint, dum metuant (let them hate, as long as they fear) is attributed to Caius/Caligula in the biography of Suetonius (text can be found here). However the expression is not an original statement by that emperor, but a general saying (appearing for instance also in Seneca (here and here), current before his times as well (it can also be found in surviving work of Cicero (1st century BC) (here)).

The correct Latin would be:

Si vis pacem, para bellum (If you want peace, prepare for war)

This famous expression is a paraphrase of what is written by Vegetius, who in book 3 actually writes ... Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum. ... (... Therefore he who desires peace, let him prepare for war. ...).

Vegetius was not a Roman general, but an official (though the Roman 'civil' service was technically a militia (military service), it was distinct from the militia armata or armed military service) who composed a book on military affairs combining material from various periods of Roman military history blended together with some fabrications of his one imagination. He never held a military command.

</act as ancient history freak>

Regards,

Sander

Cobra, someone's been watching Black Hawk Down! :-)

Well, it's true.

"I'd rather have a German division infront of me than a French one behind me!" -General Patton

By the way, "Willst du Frieden, rüste dich für den Krieg." is also in OFP, just in English. This is the translation - "If you want peace, prepare for war."

Hehehe, lol, yeh, i was watching it last night. hehe. Love that film.

-"The quickest way of ending a war is to lose it." -George Orwell

-"Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come." - Carl Sandburg

-"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

-"The idea of all-out nuclear war is unsettling." lol

Plato's saying:

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."

is insanely ironic and witty when you realize he's talking about ALL dead people, regardless of end. tounge_o.gif

"If you want to imagine the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face forever" -George Orwell

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. "

Albert Einstein

"You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war."

Albert Einstein

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"

Mahatma Gandhi

...and one of my favourite:

"A timid person is frightened before a danger, a coward during the time, and a courageous person afterward."

Jean Paul Richter

*all taken from www.quotationspage.com

"Just remember, nothing is ever as good or bad as you think it will be." - Col. Joe Taylor, USMC

Not really a war quote, but one that some of the more dramatic members on this forum need to read. wink_o.gif

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind"

No idea who said that one

23:45!! christmas soon! yay xmas_o.gif

Ghandi said it.

Quote[/b] ]What luck for the rulers that men do not think.
A. Hitler
Quote[/b] ]Woohooo!
US soldier during offensive on Fallujah
Quote[/b] ]All warfare is based on deception.
Sun Tzu - the art of war

Quote[/b] ]Woohooo!

From the Fallujah offensive too:

Sergeant:

Quote[/b] ]Sir, there is a sniper hiding in that minaret

Colonel:

Quote[/b] ]Get me an Abrams!

tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Woohooo!

Whoo Hooo

smile_o.gif

already have the svcd from grouchymedia.com  biggrin_o.gif

watching the video again i think i may have mispelled the quote but who cares ?!  xmas_o.gif

edit:

Quote[/b] ]The difficulty of tactical maneuvering consists in turning the devious into the direct, and misfortune into gain.
Sun Tzu - the art of war

"Bet Kindchen bet, morgen kommt der Schwed."

"Pray little child pray, tomorrow comes the Swede."

- German lullaby from the 30 Years' War (1618-1648)

tounge_o.gifblues.gif

"Pain is your friend, cuz everytime you feel pain, you know you're still alive"

GI Jane tounge_o.gif

hehehehehe

"Pain is your friend, cuz everytime you feel pain, you know you're still alive"

GI Jane tounge_o.gif

hehehehehe

"Pain is your freind, it will keep you awake and alert through the nights. It will anger you and remind you of what the enemy has done to you. And you know the best thing about pain? It lets you know you're still alive!"

I think that was more like it, atleast that's how I remember it and it's how Irecite it to myself during long runs if I cramp up or during workouts if something starts to hurt a lot.