Sign in to follow this  
Homefry

S.C.S. Dangerous Waters

I hope they add expandability to the game. Like ability to crew non-US surface ships (Udaloy-class DDGs, Burke-class DDGs, etc.)

I just read some more about it and it sounds great. The multiplayer funtion sounds great. I hope there will be serious players on.

EDIT- Is it modable?

MH-60R Seahawk Multi-Mission Helicopter

P-3C Orion ASW Maritime Patrol Aircraft

Oh...my...GOD!!! wow_o.gif

:edit: meh...I wish Battlefront would sale more games on retial.  On a side note, why the heck are hex base strategy games so gosh dang expensive?  

Looks pretty nice, but I hope that they will add more ships and maybe an aircraft carrier or amphibious carrier smile_o.gif

I just read some more about it and it sounds great. The multiplayer funtion sounds great. I hope there will be serious players on.

EDIT- Is it modable?

Sub Command was modable, a little bit so anyway (new model's and textures... not sure about sensor's, etc.)...

As far as controlling a battle group goes, I am not sure how it would work.. Maybe you can...?

I'm ordering it pretty soon.  xmas_o.gif

$55 with while having strong euro is not bad, especially when it comes along with hefty 500+ printed manual.

It pretty much seems like a Modern day version of Enigma Rising Tide.

The total voice control system was great in that game.

I'm ordering it pretty soon. xmas_o.gif

$55 with while having strong euro is not bad, especially when it comes along with hefty 500+ printed manual.

hehe, exactly what i wrote in the now-closed thread.

i'm not gonna order it right now, i wait for your comments on it when you have tested it. wink_o.gif

Yeah, I'm interested in the game, but I'll wait for someone to review it here before I fork over my weak dollars for it. smile_o.gif

It pretty much seems like a Modern day version of Enigma Rising Tide.

The total voice control system was great in that game.

I have played both and I must say that they are not even nearly comparable in realism, enigma is fun action and dangerous waters requires careful studying and patience.

Unfortunately I'll probably pass on Dangerous waters unless they greatly expand the variety of playable and/or controlable units.  Even though I do understand why they focus on primarily such a more localized area instead of the Janes Fleet Command or Harpoon scope because of the market demand.

It's just a shame to see nothing new comming out soon from Sonolysts to surpass Janes Fleet Command, especially since much of the graphics engine and 2D interface was inherited and given to SC and DW now.

Hopefully an all volunteer effort being done on a new Modern Naval Strategy game GC Blue will be high quality enough to gain large numbers of participants in online matches.

Sinking a ship or sub is nice but sending an entire fleet to Davy Jones's Locker is much much better...   biggrin_o.gif

Link to GC Blue http://www.gcblue.com

Later,

Havoc.

You are missing the point havoc, it's same like you'd demand ability to command divisions from OFP or air armies from IL2.

They're simulators, not general or admiral-level games. I like both ways and it certainly is exciting to me when you can have tens of other players commanding different platforms ranging from subs,helos,planes and ships in multiplayer, even having several human crewmembers on board manning different stations on same ship. And who says you can't have quite big naval battles in DW.

I'm ordering it pretty soon. xmas_o.gif

hehe, exactly what i wrote in the now-closed thread.

i'm not gonna order it right now, i wait for your comments on it when you have tested it. wink_o.gif

Ordered it too, after having read Red Storm Rising I've searched long time for good submarine and ship simulation.

Maybe we can have a game together when I got it ^^

Ordered it too, after having read Red Storm Rising I've searched long time for good submarine and ship simulation.

Maybe we can have a game together when I got it ^^

Have you tried the old "Red Storm Rising" game, its still around I believe and freeware at that.  Janes Fleet Command or the Harpoon 2002 gives plenty of scope and atmosphere to the action.  Just a suggestion, the NWP project has made Janes Fleet Command much more enjoyable and is still making additions today with new units and better models.

Regarding blake's reply...

First off, Dangerous waters has too much focus on local units and substations to control anything more than say, 4 to 6 units at most.  This is far too limiting to me and will quickly get old.  Patience is part of the experience but I'd rather play my 688i or SC if I want something with the limited scope of DW.

That's great you enjoy micromanaging substations since you'll be doing the nitty gritty boring details at the sensor stations for me.  But for people who actually handle and manage the "big picture" it gets quite old very quick settling for a sim by just searching for some single submarine hiding.  *yawn*

To me Dangerous Waters just doesn't measure up to the standard I expect for content and scalability, though it does excell in quality and accuracy.  I never said I was getting DW, I wanted to get the full story about it then decide on it.

In a nutshell, Dangerous Waters opens a view of the potential for a great modern naval warfare strategy game like Fleet Command or Harpoon, but serves now as just a very local scale ASW only sim that only just succeeds SC, even though it has one ship and two flying units.

A dissapointment yes but can easily be remedied by Sonolysts developing an excellent successor to Janes Fleet Command.

Speak your mind blake but don't act like you know about something you have little experience in.

Later,

Havoc.

Quote[/b] ]Patience is part of the experience but I'd rather play my 688i or SC if I want something with the limited scope of DW.

DW has all that and many more platforms to control. Your statement frankly does not make any sense. Only thing I can come up with is that you've got some personal hatred towards Sonalyst.

Quote[/b] ]ASW only

Then why you have TASM and TLAMS, Harpoon, 76mm cannons you can shoot against ground targets, Penguin missiles, Dozens of different surface vessels, missiles and planes.

Quote[/b] ]Speak your mind blake but don't act like you know about something you have little experience in.

So what is exactly your point? Large scale - good, small scale - bad? I've played Harpoon and Harpoon II long long time ago and I respect as they are, as I do with fleet command. It's still like comparing simulations and strategy games. One game rarely has all that in one package. OFP didn't but it still a good game.

Figure seeing as I have it, i might as well post my opinions. Multi-player is ruddy fantastic, having 3 guys i one sub (Commander, sonar guy and missile man[me:)]) is brilliant. It is very hardcore as if you are the sonar guy you will be spending the next 2 hours of gameplay looking at static so it's not recommened for the lighthearted amongst you. The graphics are sub-par for such a modern game and there are dozens of texture glitches, especially using the camera on the planes at 30k ft. However launching missiles from a sub 10ft underwater at a ship and watching the beauty fly by brings a smile to my face every single time smile_o.gif. Ai, nasty buggers whom sniff you out rather quickly unless your moving slowly. they also launch there lil anti-sub heli's which are quite a nuisence. one big problem is that there are no game browsers so it's either LAN or tcp/udp connect. So unless you know other people with the game and you arrange a game then your ronnied. The game is fantastic, challenging, however I do look forward to silent-hunter 3 as the gameplay in this is very heavy and you do tire of it rather quickly.

p.s the orions kick arse

DW is still an ASW focused game and will only be that.  You can add additional units that you can use substations with but in the end it is still a amped up version of a submarine simulator like SC and 688i.  OHP FFG is a ASW platform, so is the SH-60B and the P-3C Orion, subs do what they are supposed to, sink subs.  

The notion that DW will expand much farther than ASW warfare is absurd.  This is an ASW sim and will only be that, more depth and scalability but still ASW.

Quote[/b] ]Patience is part of the experience but I'd rather play my 688i or SC if I want something with the limited scope of DW.

DW has all that and many more platforms to control. Your statement frankly does not make any sense. Only thing I can come up with is that you've got some personal hatred towards Sonalyst.

I don't know where you get this conclusion, but you are most definitely wrong.  Dissapointment and frustration is the accurate description, unfortunately they have yet to entertain prospects for a decent sucessor to Janes Fleet Command.

How I can discuss about this, I have over two years of service with the Seawolves Surface Division, that means over 100 online hard fought battles against the best damn FC players in the world.  I've also trained over 12 cadets the art of strategic modern naval warfare. I also have about 1 year of Seawolves submarine division experience too, but I had to retire from that division due to time constraints and because Sub Command wouldn't work on my PC anymore.  You are not talking to a "casual" gamer.

By the way, when did you play Janes Fleet Command, how long did you play, and did you ever play multiplayer and if so how many matches?  Lets figure out if you got some experience on your hands or if you're just a casual gamer....

Anyways, if you can't understand what I'm explaining than just try to accept it.  I got no personal grudge against you, so don't worry bout it, its just a bloody game.

Later,

Havoc.

Quote[/b] ]its just a bloody game.

I agree. And they're like apples and oranges.

Hopefully, there will be more sailable platforms in the future for DW. Or at least some kind of support for 3rd party addons.

I would like to get the game, but... The game will not be available in stores. sad_o.gif