Sign in to follow this  
Wachtmeester

Bonaire Island update

Hi all,

A small update on the isle of Bonaire. I created a new forest type and optimized it together with the 'old' one. Thanks to Midship I got them follow the terrain nicely, which is always the problem with forest type objects. One thing about OFP what annoy's me a little is the very empty spaces on islands. So with forest type objects I tried to get the illusion of vast spaces filled with objects. The pictures look like laggin hell, but actually it's pretty well playable. Well, let the pictures do the talking:

Bonaire8.jpg

Bonaire7.jpg

Bonaire6.jpg

[im]http://llw.the-dropzone.net/main/modules/gallery/albums/Promotional/Bonaire5.jpg[/img]>100kb

Impressive. How... new environment! Lovely! smile_o.gif

I trust your keeping this as authentic to the real Bonaire as possible or is this your OFP version.Meaning, will it be slightly differant for game playing purposes....Oh and keep up the great work, i'm impressed with the whole Dutch side of OFP.

This is just beautiful... Would almost be a shame to actually fight on this island! Keep it up! (just don't forget to relax for the holidays) xmas_o.gif

Very nice stuff. Are you going litter the desert with the dark colored igneous rocks that cover deserts near Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada?

Yep, blackdog is right. Rocks are badly needed there if you want to have a realistic desert (S-W America, of course).

(You might want to check F3WX_O1 addon. There's a couple of rock "forests" models there.)

If you are fighting in a desert in the American Southwest. I suppose it could also look a little like central Australia, too. But that cactus looks very much like southern Arizona, and New Mexico to me.

If it's gonna be the sonoran desert (I live there), you might actually want to add alot more shrubs. Despite what most people htink, the desert has a shitload of stuff in it. As for rocks, the ones here aren't really big. The thing that you should put in are the black cover-top patches that keep the moisture in the ground. Otherwise, though, the island looks incredible. Pic #3 looks especially realistic.

Now that you guys say it, it does look a lot like Arizona. Where is Bonaire anyway? I've heard of it, but I don't know where it actually is rock.gif...

BTW, nice signature Toasty tounge_o.gif.

Now that you guys say it, it does look a lot like Arizona.  Where is Bonaire anyway?  I've heard of it, but I don't know where it actually is rock.gif...

BTW, nice signature Toasty tounge_o.gif.

BonaireCaribbean.GIF

that little red point is bonaire ;)

It has been a colony of the Netherlands and will be the island for the Lowlands warrior campaign.

AWSOME!

I noticed you said you are using forest types to achieve this. Do you know if the AI will act normally or will they zigzag and run like they do in forests. Same goes for armor units. Will they drive over things or freeze cuz theyre in a "forest".

Great job with the island. Still rmemeber seeing the pics in ofp.info and thinking they were sneak peaks of OFP2. That right there says a lot to me. I give you major props for this

Hi,

thanks for the kind reactions. As for some questions:

1. Bonaire island has indeed a similar vegetation like the state of Arizona, so when released you can make your own Arizona island. tounge_o.gif

2. The AI indeed behaves like it's a normal forest, so they will zigzag, and tanks drive around it. I'll see if I cn find a solution to that.

Toasty u dont need to cry, You got those 2 Hot bitches in ya sig biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif Speaking of which, Nice sig smile_o.gif

2. The AI indeed behaves like it's a normal forest, so they will zigzag, and tanks drive around it. I'll see if I cn find a solution to that.

I think the only solution is to remake this addons and to remove LODs responsible for objects collisions :/

I created a new forest type and optimized it together with the 'old' one. One thing about OFP what annoy's me a little is the very empty spaces on islands. So with forest type objects I tried to get the illusion of vast spaces filled with objects.

Yes! biggrin_o.gif

are the minimaps of the forest also accurately displaying the bushes?

I think the creator of Newland can learn from this biggrin_o.gif , great system! great work!

Dank je wel! biggrin_o.gif