Sign in to follow this  
Billabong81

AMD or Intel?

I am looking into getting quite a few upgrades for my PC after Christmas. These upgrades include a mobo, processor, video card, and RAM. I have been looking at both Intel and AMD processors/mobos and can not decide which I want to get. Intel has PCI Express, but is considerably more expensive. AMD doesn't have PCI Express, but I have heard they are better for gaming (which is what this PC is used for). I have been looking at a 3.4GHz P4 HT or an AMD Athlon 64 3500+. Could some of you guys shed some light on the pros/cons of each smile_o.gif. Thanks in advance.

When I upgraded my computer I did go for Intel becouse of higher amount of GHz,

but I think AMD has a much better performance then Intel processors.

I really did some research when I upgraded and I advise you to do the same.

One of my favorite sites for this kind of info is on Hardware.no, but thats in norwegian (Too bad, it's a really good website)

Here is hardware.no's recommendations list:

Best of the best:

1. AMD Athlon 64 FX-55

Good processors:

2. AMD Athlon 64 3500+

3. Pentium 4 - 540

4. AMD Athlon 64 3200+

"Low budget"

5. Sempron 2400+

But to get the best performance out of a processor you'll need a good motherboard.

Also check the FSB on the processors and what kind of sockel the motherboard uses, and the processor uses.

Good hunting wink_o.gif

New socket 939 motherboard comming soon

nForce4: Gigabyte K8NXP-9

and the best of the best is...

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe

It supports dual PCI-graphic card (!) and has 4 slots for DDR RAM-

EDIT: After thinking about AMD or Intel I found out that I would have chosen AMD, becouse you'll get maximum preformance from most of there equipment (Graphic cards, motherboards and CPU's)

Intel is in the same level, but AMD has something extra.

I am aiming more for the 2nd line stuff instead of the top of the line items.  They will still FLY on any games and be cheaper at the same time smile_o.gif.

EDIT: Oh, just realized that mobo is AMD with PCIe. I will definately have to look into that. The best of both worlds biggrin_o.gif.

I dont see any reason to get a 64bit processor when the OS for it won't be out for another 4 or so years. By then Intel will have their own and it will be superior to AMD's. Just like their current line of 32 bit processors.

Quote[/b] ]I dont see any reason to get a 64bit processor when the OS for it won't be out for another 4 or so years.

Actually 2 or 3 at most.

Quote[/b] ]By then Intel will have their own and it will be superior to AMD's. Just like their current line of 32 bit processors.

Thats quite an assumption.. have a time machine? rock.gifblues.gif

Quote[/b] ]Get an Athlon 64.

I will never ever use Intel.

Ever.

Fanboy!!! crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

Thats pretty crazy that you are that close minded...

And of course the AMD64 is a better choice. wink_o.gif

It seems as though the general consensus is AMD is the better choice (besides Milkman, but he may just want to be the odd man out tounge_o.gif). Thanks for the help guys!

I dont see any reason to get a 64bit processor when the OS for it won't be out for another 4 or so years. By then Intel will have their own and it will be superior to AMD's. Just like their current line of 32 bit processors.

Afaik there is already a win xp 64 bit edition out there, beta or testing or something. The problem is that there seem to be not many 64 bit drivers for it. But you can use 64bit cpus with 32bit os too, and get more performance than with 32bit cpus.

This is kinda like saying "i won't get a dx9 graphics card cause there aren't any games out there that do not run with dx8 or lesser".

The new windows x64 edition (which is a free download I might add biggrin_o.gif) runs most games, just at 32bit level.  I have not tried the new x64 edition beta however, because I have heard some programs simply do not work with it at all sad_o.gif.  I found a really good review of the new x64 edition of windows by searching google, I will try and find it again and post it here.

EDIT: Here is the review.  I would also like to add I did end up getting a Athlon 64 3500+.  It runs like a dream biggrin_o.gif.

EDIT2: I would also like to add since Benu's post, a few major companies have released 64 bit drivers for their hardware. I know ATI and Nvidia have released the latest drivers for their GFX cards for the x64 edition of windows. Not sure about drivers for other types of hardware though, as I haven't looked into it since I am not using the 64 bit edition of windows wink_o.gif.

Just remember that whatever you get, it will be replaced by something better by the time you take it out of the box. So whats top of the line today wont be the top come tmmw.

That is why I didn't buy an FX-53/55. It would have been $500+ and I got my 3500+ for $270 biggrin_o.gif.

I really like my Athlon 64 3000+ (1800Mhz) Socket 939.

You can overclock it without water cooling(or other wild stuff) and without any "hardware modifications" very easy to 2400Mhz(and higher).

I am really not a fan of overclocking, but OFP runs very good with ~2400Mhz. (And the 3000+ is very cheap)

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

I really like my Athlon 64 3000+ (1800Mhz) Socket 939.

You can overclock it without water cooling(or other wild stuff) and without any "hardware modifications" very easy to 2400Mhz(and higher).

I am really not a fan of overclocking, but OFP runs very good with ~2400Mhz. (And the 3000+ is very cheap)

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

My BIOS came with a built in overclocking thing, which allows me to overclock my stuff by up to 9% (includes everything, RAM, video card, CPU, and mobo). Would you suggest I try this? I am hesitant because I have never overclocked before and this thing is running extremely fast as it is biggrin_o.gif.

I dont see OFP2 or HL2 in there, so until I do, no 64bit for me. smile_o.gif

One or more of the Half-Life developers are former Microsofties, so there will never be a Half-Life Linux version. biggrin_o.gif

As for OFP2... no answer atm, but imo... no. They use Direct3D instead of OpenGL, so porting OFP2 will be very difficult... rock.gif

Conclusion: No OFP2 and no HL2 outside Windows. Period?

I know they have one in development...how far their progress so far is, I don't know wink_o.gif.

Would you suggest I try this?  I am hesitant because I have never overclocked before and this thing is running extremely fast as it is biggrin_o.gif.

I would never suggest anything like that.

To much can be damaged with overclocking.

For me, it's my hardware. If it's damaged, it's my fault.

And my money. biggrin_o.gif

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Would you suggest I try this?  I am hesitant because I have never overclocked before and this thing is running extremely fast as it is biggrin_o.gif.

I would never suggest anything like that.

To much can be damaged with overclocking.

For me, it's my hardware. If it's damaged, it's my fault.

And my money. biggrin_o.gif

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

Then I will stick with current stuff and overclock in a year or year and 1/2 wink_o.gif.