Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

HBO's Band of Brothers: Pacific War

Dick Winters is a real person, not just a character. He never participated in the Pacific Theater of operations during WWII.

Oh yeah, I forgot.. I just remembered that in the end of BoB there was something about him going to the Pacific. It's all hazy though. It's been a while since I've last watched it.

Nope, the entire easy never went to the pacific. The war was over before they were supposed to go there. This was the best thing about BOB; it was about real people. I absolutely loved the short interviews with the veterans at the beginning of each episode.

Who was that tough guy? He later became the commander of Easy during the battle of the bulge. I can't remember his name, but this guy stayed in the army and also went to the war in korea.

There was more than just fighting in the jungle. The Battle of the Philippines had some serious urban combat.

Some episodes I'd really like to see:

1. The Flying Tigers (Chinese Volunteer Air Force)

2. Marine Raiders (Very unique fighting units)

3. Battle of the Coral Sea (stopped the Japanese expansion toward Australia)

4. Singapore (though it's pretty unlikely)

5. Burma Road (Merrill's Marauders!)

And, of course, those you'd expect - Pearl Harbor, Midway, Guadalcanal, Okinawa/Tarawa/Pelileu.

My grandfather flew on B-25s in the South Pacific (I can't for the life of me remember the squadron or where exactly they were based) but I know they flew a lot of missions against Truk and other major anchorages.

a little off-topic here, but interesting anyway;

VERY nice site of the US amry about the battle of the bulge:

www.army.mil/botb

@hellfish;

I'd reather see landcombat than some sea-battles and airpower. IMO anyway

Nope, doesn't seem to be the case. And Tom Hanks won't be involved either.

What makes you think that? Things are still in an initial phase.

I mean why would Spielberg or Tom Hanks have BOB2 in their IMDB upcoming list, when no BOB2 page at imdb exists yet.

Again, here's an article that discusses BOB2..

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr....1937935

Nope, doesn't seem to be the case. And Tom Hanks won't be involved either.

What makes you think that? Things are still in an initial phase.

I mean why would Spielberg or Tom Hanks have BOB2 in their IMDB upcoming list, when no BOB2 page at imdb exists yet.

Again, here's an article that discusses BOB2..

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr....1937935

from the article;

Steven Spielberg and Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman -- the Emmy-winning creative team behind HBO/DreamWorks Pictures' "Band of Brothers" -- are mounting a new 10-part war miniseries centered on the battles in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

hehe, oops tounge_o.gif I take back those words. Please forgive me.

No matter the strange concept, I'm looking forward to the result.

Thats right kids, new mini-series coming to HBO. The $150 million 10-part war miniseries that Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are producing.

Get the latest scoop right here

I remember the rumors about this right after Band of Brothers finished up on HBO. Glad to see the rumors were true, can't wait to see this series. If it is half as good as BoB was entertainment-wise, it will be a huge success in my book!

Great news. It's not often that I get all worked up about a hollywood project, but this will have me eagerly waiting.

As was said, if they can capture the same magic that was seen in BoB, then they have a definate winner.

I can't wait to hear more details such as what historicaly significant unit the show is centered around. My guess is a Marine unit, but if anyone has heard...please do tell!

Thanks for the update on this project!

I only watch HBO for the boxing...oh and some movies.

MAY 5TH DE LA HOYA VS MAYWEATHER ON HBO PPV!!!

It sounds like it could be good, but theres NO WAY it will beat Band of Brothers lol

I actually heard about The Pacific back in 2005. Anyway looking forward to it. biggrin_o.gif

Band of Brothers is a Brilliant show, so I guess The Pacific will be pretty good aswell!

It can't go wrong when Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks are producers.

Cheers. wink_o.gif

I must confess, I have been waiting for this. I had no idea it was starting in March.

Ooo can't wait. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm not sure it will be the same success as Band of Brothers, however. Simply because more people could perhaps relate to the European campaign more then the Pacific part of the war, not that it means it was less important. And then you have the infamous deal with "sequels". Granted there have been a "few" years now since the previous mini-series and the fact it's a good crew of producers, writters and directors with this new series.

I sure hope NRK buys the rights to display this mini-series, as they did with Band of Brothers. :D

Ah i see many people are looking forward to it.... As am i..

But turns out its being shown on Sky Moves HD

Which I must say I am absolutely Fuming over.. First of all.. I dont have Sky (Im a student afterall) And second, if i did have sky, I would have to pay an additional Subscription fee to watch Sky Moved HD.

This is outrageous more-so by the fact that the Original Band of Brothers was shown for FREE*(Kind of) on BBC 2 .. SO there goes my plans of holding a weekly Pacific night on my 42 inch.

And im not going to watch something this epic on my tiny Laptop screen from some sky viewers camcorder with tinny sound and them breathing behind the mic.

Im sorry I am appauled by this Move and BBC's lack of willingness to keep the Band of Brothers Torch.

Ah i see many people are looking forward to it.... As am i..

But turns out its being shown on Sky Moves HD

Which I must say I am absolutely Fuming over.. First of all.. I dont have Sky (Im a student afterall) And second, if i did have sky, I would have to pay an additional Subscription fee to watch Sky Moved HD.

This is outrageous more-so by the fact that the Original Band of Brothers was shown for FREE*(Kind of) on BBC 2 .. SO there goes my plans of holding a weekly Pacific night on my 42 inch.

And im not going to watch something this epic on my tiny Laptop screen from some sky viewers camcorder with tinny sound and them breathing behind the mic.

Im sorry I am appauled by this Move and BBC's lack of willingness to keep the Band of Brothers Torch.

Wait for the bluray then.

+1.

I might wait for it to be released on DVD/BluRay myself, depending on whether or not I can get it over here.

Wait for the bluray then.

Wait another 6 months.. :(

First episode was very well done. A lot like Band of Brothers.

The only gripe I have is that they've followed suit with Band of Brothers in trying to convince people that the American's were the only ones fighting against the Axis. They even talk about how the Japanese forces captured the islands and sat there for many months with no mention of the allied forces holding them off. They seem to put the impression that the Japanese didn't face much conflict until the marines arrived.

But I guess they want primary focus on the company it portays, as this, like Band of Brothers, is more about the effects it had on the people than the actual war itself.