Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

HBO's Band of Brothers: Pacific War

Click here

Filming begins in 2005.

Apparently the episodes will follow a USO troupe as they entertain the troops from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. God help them if there is singing and dancing in every episode... mad_o.gif

Hope their not just trading off the name, it could be good, I guess they think they can get a broader audience if they give make it less about the fighting.

I really hope they are gone make it the  same quality level as the first,

I'm not gone watch it if it is a crapy copy with palms.

Apparently the episodes will follow a USO troupe as they entertain the troops from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. God help them if there is singing and dancing in every episode...  mad_o.gif

I think that is called, "The South Pacific."

The musical!

But I agree!

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Click here

Filming begins in 2005.

Apparently the episodes will follow a USO troupe as they entertain the troops from Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima. God help them if there is singing and dancing in every episode...  mad_o.gif

i hope you're joking.

-edit-

o jeezus your not joking.

What's the USO exactly?
Quote[/b] ]

USO entertainer at the Ft. Crook hospital in Omaha.

The national United Service Organization (USO) was organized on April 17, 1941. It was created to serve the religious, spiritual, and educational needs of the men and women in the armed forces. USO clubs were to be financed by the public through voluntary contributions.

During the war, volunteers, mostly women, organized USO clubs throughout Nebraska. USO clubs sponsored a variety of activities for service personnel that included dances, sporting events, and dinners in the homes of local families.

The flag of the National War Fund often hung in USO clubs. Because there were so many agencies seeking funds during the war, the government created the National War Fund. It was based on the idea of a Community Chest -- consolidating many causes in one large fund drive. To receive funds an agency had to be approved as being essential to the war effort by the president's War Relief Control Board. The USO received nearly half of the money collected by the National War Fund in 1944.

Locally, the Lincolnettes, an organization of young women from Lincoln, served as partners and hostesses in recreational activities for service men stationed in Lincoln.

And at the large ammunition depot in Hastings, a separate USO club was organized for African-American service personnel stationed there. The armed forces in WWII were still racially segregated, and separate clubs were organized across the national and overseas.

i was kinda hoping the next war movie Steven Speilburg would make would be dedicated to the all Japanese American 100th or 442nd units which were also known as "The Purple Heart Battalion" because they suffered the highest number of casualties.

442colorguard.jpg

What's the USO exactly?
Quote[/b] ]

USO entertainer at the Ft. Crook hospital in Omaha.

The national United Service Organization (USO) was organized on April 17, 1941. It was created to serve the religious, spiritual, and educational needs of the men and women in the armed forces. USO clubs were to be financed by the public through voluntary contributions.

During the war, volunteers, mostly women, organized USO clubs throughout Nebraska. USO clubs sponsored a variety of activities for service personnel that included dances, sporting events, and dinners in the homes of local families.

The flag of the National War Fund often hung in USO clubs. Because there were so many agencies seeking funds during the war, the government created the National War Fund. It was based on the idea of a Community Chest -- consolidating many causes in one large fund drive. To receive funds an agency had to be approved as being essential to the war effort by the president's War Relief Control Board. The USO received nearly half of the money collected by the National War Fund in 1944.

Locally, the Lincolnettes, an organization of young women from Lincoln, served as partners and hostesses in recreational activities for service men stationed in Lincoln.

And at the large ammunition depot in Hastings, a separate USO club was organized for African-American service personnel stationed there. The armed forces in WWII were still racially segregated, and separate clubs were organized across the national and overseas.

Thanks smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]HBO Hopes to Go "All-Out" with New Series

Dec.7, 2004

The series is slated to be the biggest and most expensive mini-series every produced for Television. The decisive and complex battles of Midway, Okinawa and several other campaigns are scheduled to get screen time. Check out our synopsis page for more details.

Sounds like they'll have little time singing.

On their site they say it's in no way connected with Ambrose's Band of Brothers...the only similiarity is that one of the writers from BoB will be leading this project, which is just "The Pacific War."

So basically it has nothing whatsoever to do with BoB...very misleading topic title, you had me going for a minute there Hellfish.

Hmmm, good or not good, too bad us Europeans will never get to see it untill... *calculates* 2012+

Whatever they do, it will be very hard to reach that level of quality that the original had.

I never saw Band of Brothers smile_o.gif

Might see them one day wink_o.gif

Yes, the first one was damn good...it didn't just show gunfights and battle fields ;): i highly enjoyed it and recommend it smile_o.gif

Interesting to see how this new one will turn out...i hope its not all singing, then it will be a musical, which i don't like mad_o.gif :

*remenbers Musical simpson's episode*

shudder. Hope it not all singing

Hmmm, good or not good, too bad us Europeans will never get to see it untill... *calculates* 2012+

If the BBC is involved like they were with BoB, people in the UK will be able to see it pretty soon after HBO show it... but they probably aren't, the cast of BoB and the locations were largely British hence BBC's involvement, in fact the place where I work was scouted as a location for the show: they needed a 1940s military depot but found one elsewhere.

Is Steven Spielberg producing this series though? I've not found any reference to him being involved, if he isn't I'm not sure this'll turn out to be as good as BoB.

This line from the website

Quote[/b] ]We'll see the stories of cooks, nurses, pilots, infantry, and many others
leads me to believe that there will be combat action, but it will be done through some kind of flashback system whereby someone from the USO group will start talking to someone then suddenly the viewer is taken back to their experience, thus the series is not confined to telling the narrow story of just one unit. It seems a degree of diversity is desirable to the creators of this story and hopefully we will see this reflected in the final product.

If the BBC is involved like they were with BoB, people in the UK will be able to see it pretty soon after HBO show it... but they probably aren't, the cast of BoB and the locations were largely British hence BBC's involvement, in fact the place where I work was scouted as a location for the show: they needed a 1940s military depot but found one elsewhere.

Is Steven Spielberg producing this series though? I've not found any reference to him being involved, if he isn't I'm not sure this'll turn out to be as good as BoB.

Quote[/b] ]'Band of Brothers' Team Heads for Pacific Theater Mon Jul 21, 1:44 AM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters TV to My Yahoo!

By Chris Gardner

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Steven Spielberg (news), Tom Hanks (news) and Gary Goetzman -- the Emmy-winning creative team behind "Band of Brothers" -- are mounting a new 10-part World War II mini-series centered on battles in the Pacific theater.

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/949830/posts/%0D%0D

---------

I have high hopes for this HBO production. The sopranos - Need I say more?

xmas_o.gif

This line from the website
Quote[/b] ]We'll see the stories of cooks, nurses, pilots, infantry, and many others
leads me to believe that there will be combat action, but it will be done through some kind of flashback system whereby someone from the USO group will start talking to someone then suddenly the viewer is taken back to their experience, thus the series is not confined to telling the narrow story of just one unit. It seems a degree of diversity is desirable to the creators of this story and hopefully we will see this reflected in the final product.

sounds to me like it will it will suck. But the high quality of BOB makes me hope and believe that what you say might be true.

I don't think they'll turn it into some cheap comedy/drama series about the pacific war. The fighting in the pacific was some of the most intense fighting of the entire world war. It would be a shame not to see this in this series.

I kind of liked the idea of BOB to follow one specific unit (which actually excisted) and to show them go through the war. This is IMHO more interesting than a series with a lot of different units and persons.

In the BOB series you really got the know the guys, so when one of them got killed or wounded you really felt bad about it. If this new series is not letting you get to know the guys who are fighting (and this seems to be the case) than it will never be as good as BOB (again; IMHO).

Edit;

from the site;

Quote[/b] ]Nine episodes of gut-wrenching combat
At least there will be figthing  smile_o.gif (or actually  sad_o.gif if you know what I mean)
Quote[/b] ]Is Steven Spielberg producing this series though? I've not found any reference to him being involved, if he isn't I'm not sure this'll turn out to be as good as BoB.
Nope, doesn't seem to be the case. And Tom Hanks won't be involved either. But BOB was also written by a lot of different writers (almost every episode by an other one).

But let's face it; it's extremely hard to beat BOB. The series were awesome and although the pacific war was very intense it was all more of less the same (jungle, jungle, jungle). At least the war in europe had urban fighting and concentration camps.

The Band of Brothers title made me hope that we'd get to follow Winters through the pacific war. Nevertheless I have high hopes. HBO has kept a good level of quality in it's productions so far. smile_o.gif

Dick Winters is a real person, not just a character. He never participated in the Pacific Theater of operations during WWII.