Sign in to follow this  
iNeo

STH like Age of Empires?

I'm far from updated amongst games, and now I'm wondering if there's anything new that's similar to Age of Empires II The Age of Kings which I really liked when it was new?

I want something in the same era and style, where you both trade and fight. Preferbly with Vikings, Turks etc.

Suggestions? smile_o.gif

age of nations  biggrin_o.gif or something with nations anyway its the succesor of age of kings

There is nothing like the age of empires 2 gameplay, everything else is a cheap copy. You could try the cossacs/american conquest series but be warned, the AI is horrendous.

age of nations biggrin_o.gif or something with nations anyway its the succesor of age of kings

Rise of Nations....

Theres a game called Supreme Ruler 2010 coming out that looks great, but it may be more of a Civ style game, (my second favorite game after ofp.) It has something like 1500 units and most of them are real 20th century weapons, I saw a Merkava tank and lots of f-15 variants in the screenshots.

age of nations biggrin_o.gif or something with nations anyway its the succesor of age of kings

Looks pretty good but I see they got rid of the Vikings since AOE II sad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Empire Earth. My favourite RTS. smile_o.gif

Hmm the sequel comes 1Q 05 so no use buying it now anyway, don't know if I like the modern parts but Rise of Nations has it too.

Quote[/b] ]Theres a game called Supreme Ruler 2010 coming out that looks great,

Yeah looks cool smile_o.gif Should be Gripen though. Politics etc sounds sweet.

Empire Earth. My favourite RTS.  smile_o.gif

-The AI cheats

-no variation between nations besides having cheaper stronger stuff

-Alot of jerks online

For example

Quote[/b] ]Me:Can I have some Iron?

player:stfu

Me:??

player changes stance to hostile

Me:WTF why are you attacking me? This is a city builder!

player:STFU Lagger11

Me: Im not lagging. There is a red snail, red.

player:u have iron mines in my land

Me:Thats light yellow you moron! Why would I ask for iron if I could get it that way?!

player:stfu frenchy

-graphics outdated

-gameplay is showing its age

However, EE2 will fix most of these.

Did I mention AoE3 is in development?  xmas_o.gif

Any links/info on that?

I've been playing AOE2 (And expansion) for the past few nights now. Personally, I still think it rocks biggrin_o.gif

As for new games, I don't do too many of them, Rise of Nations was good, a lot like AOE but better in some ways. But IMO once you got to the modern ages, it all went downhill. Post WWII-ish ages, I just loose intrest. Tanks/choppers/etc going at each other, or everyone trying to nuke everything. Fast paced of the exact same thing over and over at the end.

Though it's not set in medieval times, I'll have to suggest Rome: Total War. It's (IMO) a good mix of turn-based strategy and RTS-style battles. And those RTS-style battles can have hundreds, if not thousands, more soldiers than in an AoE battle. To put it simply, each army can have 20 units (A unit usually consists of ~80 soldiers), and you can bring multiple armies into one battle biggrin_o.gif .

Edit1: And it has great siege warfare (Pic)

Any links/info on that?

68782798_200.jpg

I believe I see something interesting in the corner. wink_o.gif

Yea I you liked age of empires I would go with Empire Earth. It is just like an updated form of the series.

Yea I you liked age of empires I would go with Empire Earth. It is just like an updated form of the series.

I prefer Rise of Nations over Empire Earth anyday. First of all EE was released in 2001 while RoN came last year so the graphics are much more up to date in RoN. Even when ignoring the graphics RoN is superior with its flawless gameplay.

I prefer Rise of Nations over Empire Earth anyday. First of all EE was released in 2001 while RoN came last year so the graphics are much more up to date in RoN. Even when ignoring the graphics RoN is superior with its flawless gameplay.

Indeed, EE rapidly becomes a game of rope-pulling and nukular weapons are modelled much better in RoN.

Did I mention AoE3 is in development? xmas_o.gif

Any links/info on that?

68782798_200.jpg

I believe I see something interesting in the corner. wink_o.gif

wow_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif Googled it and it seems it'll probably be released in October 05 sad_o.gif

I think I'll try Rise of Nations, just a shame they removed the Vikings.