Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Record Breaking Around the World Flight

website - http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/

Quote[/b] ]Salina, Kan.  December 1, 2004  Virgin Atlantic Airways today announced that the launch site for the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer record attempt will be the Salina Municipal (KSLN) Airport, Kansas, USA. Mission control will also be based in Salina at Kansas State University at Salina. The record attempt is planned to take place from early January 2005 dependent on favorable weather conditions and the route will take the aircraft over cities such as Chicago, Montreal, London, Paris, Rome, Cairo, Karachi, Shanghai, Tokyo, Honolulu and Los Angeles.

The Salina Airport Authority will provide Virgin Atlantic and pilot Steve Fossett access to the Salina Municipal Airport and the recently remodeled Hanger #703 located at the Salina Aviation Service Center. The Airport's 12,300 ft. Runway 17/35 will be the departure and arrival runway for the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer for the first solo, non-stop around the world flight by Steve Fossett.

Other support to be provided by the Airport Authority include airfield security, ground handling, equipment, access to web cameras and coordination with local, state and regional news media through the services of Jim Gregory, CEO of James Gregory Consultancy.

Tim Rogers, executive director for the Salina Airport Authority (SAA) said "the Salina Municipal Airport is well known as "America's Fuel Stop." The successful completion of the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer flight will distinguish the Salina Airport as "The World's Fuel Stop."

In addition to being the home for the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer around the world attempt,

the Salina Municipal Airport is the home base for seventeen aviation businesses and organizations including America Jet at SLN, Aerospace Systems & Technologies, Inc., EagleMed air ambulance, Kansas Wing Headquarters - Civil Air Patrol, Flower Aviation, Kansas Army National Guard Aviation Support Facility, Kansas State University at Salina, Kansas Highway Patrol Aviation, Professional Flight Training, LC, Raytheon Aircraft Company - Salina Division, Salina Aircraft Services and the corporate flight departments for ADM Milling Company, Blue Beacon International, Geoprobe Systems, Plains Environmental, Premier Pneumatics, Inc., and Bradley Trucking Co.

The SLN Aviation Service Center has available hangar space and room for growth to accommodate a wide array of aviation related industries. The SLN Air Traffic Control Tower logs over 85,000 annual aircraft operations. Two FBOs annually deliver over 4.4 million gallons of aviation fuel to the aircraft using the Salina Municipal Airport. For more information regarding expansion opportunities at "The SLN Aviation Service Center," contact us at 785.827.3914 or visit the available properties link at http://www.salinaairport.com today!

Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer

For further information, including pictures, fact sheets and footage please contact the Virgin Atlantic Press Office on 01293 747373 or log onto the website.

Well, I think it's cool anyway.  I'll be coming back into town over Christmas break even if I can't volunteer for some reason just to watch the takeoff.  I'll try to volunteer with them tomorrow though, hopefully I can pass out coffee or something.

Edit: Forgot to mention - I go to college at Salina biggrin_o.gif

Nobody's interested?

C'mooon, he's going to break the record set by the "Voyager"!

maybe that's the reason why it's not that interesting? someone already did it first time and this person is trying to break that. of course it would be interesting, but given that jet flights are common, maybe this challenge doesn't seem like much of one.

not only that, but there is already another guy in the U.S. who can go into space w/ his own rocket ship. flying around the globe kinda pales in comparision imo.

.......it depends! If this guy had a try it would definately be a hit in this forum!

Quote[/b] ]jet pilot admits he was drunk

The Scotsman

Maybe I'm just excited because it's happening locally.

I'd still think it's cool though, even if it were happening in new york.  This kind of thing really doesn't happen every day.  He's going to break records