Sign in to follow this  
Apollo

The youth of today

This thread got me thinking....what generation am I?

I'm 18 years old. Tell me what generation I belong too, and what the stereotypes of my generation are. (Please don't say generation clueless tounge_o.gif It's just I've never given this subject much thought wink_o.gif )

For me one term comes to mind: Zombies. But hey, I'm just an grumbling old (25) hack, you know.

Oh, they're not zombies. Zombies can be stopped with a head shot. Today's youth has to be shot in the skateboard.

Wonder if thats why one of those kids was screaming for me to shoot him...... (All I was doing was putting gas in the lawn

mower.) rock.gif Of course after that he said some other

nice things to me...

18 maybe generation O?

This thread got me thinking....what generation am I?

Generally speaking:

Greatest Generation:1910-1930 (conservative, hard working, responsible, serious)

Silent Generation: 1931-1942 (unnoticed)

Baby Boomers: 1943–64 (hippies, revolutionary, liberal)

Generation X: 1965-1980 (apathic, cynical, nihilistic)

Generation Y: 1981–1999 - ?

Generation Z: 1999– ?

These are however very rough estimates.

Also, there is a big difference between various cultures and places on Earth. In America they're saying that Generation Y could be the next "Greatest Generation" - i.e conservative, hard working, family building etc

In Europe on the other hand, Generation Y comes closest to the "Baby Boomers" generation - unlike Generation X, they actually care about various social issues etc

what generation am i rock.gif

I just had 4 shots of vodka and now i'm bluh.

lol

youth is youth let us stay rebellious!

the old suckers (sorry bis ;)

are just jealous that we can do more they can

*ouch-my-back*

cheerio

besides

the old egyptians said their kids were spoiled, rude and nasty..

and that was 5000 years ago..

the old suckers (sorry bis ;)

are just jealous that we can do more they can

Look out what you say or else Placebo will come and increase your warning level tounge_o.gif

But I think it's just a generation that we don't act mature till we turn 30, when we are 30 we all become old, wise and mature.

EDIT: and instead of liking hiphop we only like Jazz and classic music wink_o.gif

Now that I know I'm part of generation Y: I did some Googling to seek out how I compare.

The generation is very honest, and seek out truth in others, we have medium term goals set for adulthood, and are extremely tolerant towards others and their opinions. (All very true in my opinion)

We're moving away from baby-boomer brand names and moving on to brands our parents have never heard of. (Somewhat true...ye Olde brands still hold significant value, but simply have more rivals/competitors to contend with)

We value education, technological advances and stability.

We work hard, but we're in debt. (For me, it's due to education)

That sums me up to a tea. I fitted right in to those stereotypes, and I didn't even know they existed.

Also, of important note, is that the rotten apples really stand out. There's a charisma: an agressive stance which shows they are not part of the mainstream...It is they who stand out most. But seeing as they're of the same age, we all get given the bad wrap, and thanks to Gen X's cynisism, finding a casual/vacation job just ain't what it used to be. sad_o.gif

The generation is very honest

"Yo dog why are you passing through my hood?" or "I am going to pick up some bitches today" That's quite honest tounge_o.gif

Couldn't help myself wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]That sums me up to a tea. I fitted right in to those stereotypes, and I didn't even know they existed.

Yeah it's actually quite true, I think a lot of people can recognise this in themselves smile_o.gif

What they mean is the young culture.  Fad its also known as.  Thats only because people think that when you grow up you won't dress hip hop or punk anymore, or anti government, or all gothic, or however you dress.  If its totally eye catching and good then keep it, but if it gets you disapproval and not alot of good comments don't.  They can only judge the youth of today by the trends.  Music, clothes, and thats just about it.  Its as simple as those two.  I still dress hip hop and if I dress like i'm going to church one day,  and someone tells me i look nice, does that mean that by society's standards im a nicer person for wearing those clothes for them?  No, just looking nice is an extreme right wing term used to control.  You can't look nice, you can only be nice.  Nice is an inner quality, but back to youth of today, they're just using that to talk about a certain group who they wish not to go into detail about, like, whom they are, or, what they look like.  So till they want change to any problems they see with the youth of today they're going to have to single out a certain crowd as far as their helpful information sharing is concerned or perhaps give information we all can use.  The youth do.  Hanging out with different people of race, sex, or music choice is essential to ironing out problems in the scene you're involved in.  Going to school is hard on youth because they often get bogged down with homework and hard exams just for what, be taught five things in the course of a month, then at the end of the month be tested on all five things at once.  Thats not how you teach.  You take it one lesson at a time, that lesson is mastered, and then you move on.  Some schools don't undersand this though.  For the self taught, lessons are chosen based on long term needs and concerns rather than the fundamentals a school start you off with.  That's why its best to start off in school, then when you get out keep learning to assist your long term planning, like we all are.

Frankly, from a society point of view, I think that there are far better hopes for the current generation than for instance of my generation - the cynical, almost nihilistic Generation X.

LONG LIVE THE SLACKER GENERATION!

Least now there won't be so many stupid news stories about "GenerationX"....man....by the time they were done with that term it had lost all meaning...

@Ironsight

then u dont know my dad....

hes 46 now...

and still the bad ass rocker...

listening to KISS,Black Sabbath, Hendrix etc...

The generation is very honest

"Yo dog why are you passing through my hood?" or "I am going to pick up some bitches today" That's quite honest tounge_o.gif

Couldn't help myself wink_o.gif

Yes, it's quite clear that we all talk like 50pints or M&M. wink_o.gif

Kids Today

Can there be any doubt that adolecents are the root of all evil? Sheesh!  mad_o.gif

I'm reminded of one time when I was 17 and was sitting on the back of the number 18 bus with a friend of mine. The number 18 bus here in Ottawa is ridden mostly by seniors, and at some point, the bell signalling that someone wanted to get off went beserk

"ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding...."

Well, every single passenger on the damn bus turned around and looked right at us two in the back

we both stared back for a few seconds and then I said

"WHAT?!?"

At which point the driver came on over the P.A.

"Ah...sorry folks, the bell is acting up, so when you need to get off, just come up and let me know"

and as all the senior citizens finally turned their gaze away from us, my friend yelled out

"THAT's right! you blame the two punk-assed kids in the back!"

Senior citizens these days  mad_o.gif

Don't forget the dirt looks and inhumane anger that rises when some 289lb man is waiting for his double at Wendy's, or has to wait a few moment for fresh fries from the basket. Few teenagers I see in line get angry at this, but you have no idea at how upset some of my wise and patient last generation gets. One person was angry enough to slam the gas in the drive through after being asked to wait.

I'll give you a guess as to what happened to their mirror.

Kids Today

Can there be any doubt that adolecents are the root of all evil? Sheesh! mad_o.gif

I'm reminded of one time when I was 17 and was sitting on the back of the number 18 bus with a friend of mine. The number 18 bus here in Ottawa is ridden mostly by seniors, and at some point, the bell signalling that someone wanted to get off went beserk

"ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding...."

Well, every single passenger on the damn bus turned around and looked right at us two in the back

we both stared back for a few seconds and then I said

"WHAT?!?"

At which point the driver came on over the P.A.

"Ah...sorry folks, the bell is acting up, so when you need to get off, just come up and let me know"

and as all the senior citizens finally turned their gaze away from us, my friend yelled out

"THAT's right! you blame the two punk-assed kids in the back!"

Senior citizens these days mad_o.gif

They are absolutely right to make the generalization, most troubles on buses are caused by "kids these days" are they not?

Heck, our cars have been broken into in total about 7 times here over the years, and you know why? Because there is a lazer tag place open here all night. Kids! It is kids these days, because their parents are off checking their stocks and bonds, not spending time with them.

(you can't expect everyone to agree with you) biggrin_o.gif

They are absolutely right to make the generalization, most troubles on buses are caused by "kids these days" are they not?  

One of my personal rules is: Treat me like an asshole and I'll make sure I act like one towards you.

I was by no means an angel as a teenager, but I never destroyed anyone's personal property or anything like that. Probably the most damage I ever did to the public good was when on one Halloween, with a group of friends, we took a park bench (putting it down and sitting & waving at any cars that were passing by) and bringing it to a buddy's basement. The real punchline was when we were struggling with it down the stairs, his mother was waken up by the noise and yelled

"what the hell are you guys doing down there? You sound like you weigh half a ton!"

We almost dropped the damn thing right there in a fit of muffled laughter.

But I'd like to think I more than made up for my occasional mischief by all the volunteer hours I put in in highschool....and that was before "volunteering" became mandatory.

Dear lord, my stomach turns when I hear the bollox about Generation This and Generation That; both terms are little more than products of the diseased mind of some marketing manager (that's a bit of a pleonasm really).

I hate this labelling obsession. The whole damn human species wants nothing more but to belong in one shoebox or another. Kids these days? More like people these days. The 'seniors' or 'adults' or whatever you want to call them are right when they complain about 'the youth', but they themselves are just as bad. It's not generation X, Y, or Z, it's PEOPLE.

The problem started with a general misinterpretation of the term 'respect'. People seem to confuse it with 'authority', or 'awe' or something similar. Respect means treating others in the way you would want them to treat you, irrespective of age, sex, social position etc. Why should I treat someone who's older in a different manner than a younger person? That's direspectful towards the younger individual. Respect cannot be earned - it should be there by default. Respect can only be lost.

There is one simple rule: every generation believes that education/youth/etc. were better when they themselves were in their prime. Hypocritical, predictable twats.

Is my pessimism showing? wink_o.gif

One of my personal rules is: Treat me like an asshole and I'll make sure I act like one towards you.

I was by no means an angel as a teenager, but I never destroyed anyone's personal property or anything like that. Probably the most damage I ever did to the public good was when on one Halloween, with a group of friends, we took a park bench (putting it down and sitting & waving at any cars that were passing by) and bringing it to a buddy's basement. The real punchline was when we were struggling with it down the stairs, his mother was waken up by the noise and yelled

"what the hell are you guys doing down there? You sound like you weigh half a ton!"

We almost dropped the damn thing right there in a fit of muffled laughter.

But I'd like to think I more than made up for my occasional mischief by all the volunteer hours I put in in highschool....and that was before "volunteering" became mandatory.

I agree with what you say, but in reality if someone sees youth playing around with the bus stop indicator (wwhatever you call it) 10 times, the 11th time they will assume it is the youth again, and they stare etc. Sure you think they are being assholes but...

Okay; people are also assholes for installing car alarms as they make noise for no reason sometimes, people are assholes for asking for references on your resume, they are assholes for 20 million things because of experience from the past. wink_o.gif In general, don't you think society sometimes treats you like shit for no reason, especially if you are honest etc. it's because various organizations have had to adapt to the peole making trouble or cheating them. Same thing with kids, people have a lot of trouble with em in the past, then they see you when there is trouble, and voila, you are treated like an asshole.

Youth aren't fully grown, so they'll always be a problem. You have to strictly instill in them the principles of virtue while they're young, like a knight in training, for them to be good kids.

Youth aren't fully grown, so they'll always be a problem.  You have to strictly instill in them the principles of virtue while they're young, like a knight in training, for them to be good kids.

I think they know the principles of virtue, you just need to motivate them.

Is it worth it?

Is it worth it?

Sure is! Speaking as someone who deals with customers on a daily basis, I find it highly gratifying to be an asshole towards assholes - the more I enrage an unreasonably irate customer, the more I'm laughing inside. And then later on, I get to swap stories with my co-workers smile_o.gif.

Sure is! Speaking as someone who deals with customers on a daily basis, I find it highly gratifying to be an asshole towards assholes - the more I enrage an unreasonably irate customer, the more I'm laughing inside. And then later on, I get to swap stories with my co-workers  smile_o.gif.

Well, that's a bit different. You should say that you are treating assholes like assholes, not that you are acting like an asshole towards someone treating you like one. The trick is knowing when you have actually earned the title yourself. wink_o.gif

Remember, it's always bad for business to piss off customers. Unless they are paying you to do it.

Is it worth it?

Sure is! Speaking as someone who deals with customers on a daily basis, I find it highly gratifying to be an asshole towards assholes - the more I enrage an unreasonably irate customer, the more I'm laughing inside. And then later on, I get to swap stories with my co-workers smile_o.gif.

While I agree with the general concept of enraging unreasonably irate customers, I beg to differ on the methods. I have found - in my retail days - that being disgustingly polite in combinatoin with a smug smile works better than just being an arsehole. Later on, noone can claim that you were being unreasonable - after all, you remained civil while the other chum grew red in the face and hurled abuse.

Yep, thank goodness I'm a people's person.