Sign in to follow this  
BoweryBaker

Whats the military term for...

What's the military term for if a country would prevent people from leaving the country?

Is there such a term? rock.gif

The closest general term I can think of is 'internment'.

Explain yourself a bit more BoweryBaker.

"Border closure"? rock.gif

It would be 'border closure' if the border was closed in both directions.

But he's only indicated that the border is closed in the outgoing direction.

I've only ever heard 'quarantine' used for when someone is trying to prevent something from entering an area, not exiting.

One places an embargo in order to prevent something from reaching a destinatation, but I'm unsure if the word embargo is the most appropriate to place upon the prevention of the movement of people.

"Border closure"? rock.gif

It would be 'border closure' if the border was closed in both directions.

"Border exit closure".  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT:

How about "duty free shutdown"? tounge_o.gif

I guess hostage.  Political Prisoner. I'm making this mp campaign and i was coming up with a reason to go into this country and operate and the first mission is to free some..people who were just having a tough time leaving the country. Then the next mission was a sabotage and we met the resistance. Now for this next mission I guess we'll free some political prisoners.

Captivity, internment, detention, bondage, confinement, custody, durance, limbo possibly (some relevant selections from dictionary.com).

Good luck with your MP campaign smile_o.gif .

Yes, I have a question about military terminology, or something close to it.

What is it with the U.S military's naming scheme for its equipment?

I mean, first look at some common designations during WW2:

M1 helmet (?)

M1A1 AA cannon

M1A1 Thompson

M1 grenade (?)

M1 rifle

M1A1 carbine

M1911 pistol

M1 bazooka!?

What is with all the M1's? What's the point of giving a model name for everything if you can't tell them apart by it? Then some other pieces of equipment can be M4A3 tank etc.

Then it gets at least as strange, look at the rifle name progression from the M14 forward:

M14

M16

M1773 (carbine)

M4 (carbine)

M8

And the machineguns:

M2

M60 (ALSO the main tank at the time)

M249

M240

And now we have the M1A1 Abrams as a naming blast from the past, I mean, by what system is all this equipment named? It seems totally irregular.

What's the military term for if a country would prevent people from leaving the country?

It's called, [/b]"Dictatorship."

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

Yes, I have a question about military terminology, or something close to it.

What is it with the U.S military's naming scheme for its equipment?

I mean, first look at some common designations during WW2:

M1 helmet (?)

M1A1 AA cannon

M1A1 Thompson

M1 grenade (?)

M1 rifle

M1A1 carbine

M1911 pistol

M1 bazooka!?

What is with all the M1's? What's the point of giving a model name for everything if you can't tell them apart by it?  Then some other pieces of equipment can be M4A3 tank etc.

Then it gets at least as strange, look at the rifle name progression from the M14 forward:

M14

M16

M1773 (carbine)

M4 (carbine)

M8

And the machineguns:

M2

M60 (ALSO the main tank at the time)

M249

M240

And now we have the M1A1 Abrams as a naming blast from the past, I mean, by what system is all this equipment named? It seems totally irregular.

the, "M" stands for Military.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

I'm pretty sure he just means why the odd numbering, not the "M".

Nah but the use of M is interesting as well. In the UK its all "L-whatever"

If he means numbers.

Than the numbers stand for I.D. purposes.

Everything in the U.S. Armed Forces are numbers.

Even military forms are I.D.'ed.. as numbers.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gifunclesam.gifunclesam.gif

If he means numbers.

Than the numbers stand for I.D. purposes.

Everything in the U.S. Armed Forces are numbers.

Even military forms are I.D.'ed.. as numbers.

Sincerely, MilitiaSniper

"OFF the WALL Team"

unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif  unclesam.gif

He's asking about the irregularity wink_o.gif

In france, it's F in the Army

Apart from vehicles which are nearly all 'FV' (Field Vehicle)

As for the inconsistancy with the weapon numbering, it's probably down to everything in the US army receiveing a M-number, not just the weapons. For example after the M-14, the M-15 could a type of round, a piece of personnal equipment, an engine, anything really before the M-16 was introduced.

I think also, when a piece of equipment goes out of service another piece of equipment can adopt its ID number. I seem to remember there being more than one piece of kit in the British Army that has recieved the L1 (Land Service 1) designation.

The numbers etc aren't really meant to be sequential for any specific type of equipment, sometimes they're just given that desigantion because it's reference to when the thing was made, such as the M-82 whic was developed from 1982 onwards, and the L-85 (SA-80) which was issued in 1985.

It just makes it easier to fill out forms and input data into logistics databases. So long as you can look up what the ID number is reference to on a form or a computer you should be able to find out what it is.

Okay how many men is a platoon? I'm doing this campaign mission where the russians were found guilty of atrocities and forced to pull all of their forces from the island but one platoon stayed to exact they're revenge on the FIA. Now I need to know how many men I have to kill until they're all dead or captured.

I guess its also of its type. Obviously you cant have 2 MBTs named the L1A1, but its probably deemed ok to have an MBT and an APC. Likewise with guns and ammo....and types of gun, even......

Okay how many men is a platoon?  I'm doing this campaign mission where the russians were found guilty of atrocities and forced to pull all of their forces from the island but one platoon stayed to exact they're revenge on the FIA.  Now I need to know how many men I have to kill until they're all dead or captured.

Depends what type of platoon your talking about. A British Army platoon AFAIK is 3 x 8 man rifle sections, a 3 man HQ section and a 5 man support section (= 32). However, the mechanised units use 7 man sections as only 7 can fit in the APC biggrin_o.gif

No idea about US or Russian army structure.

Thanks to Mav to telling this all patiently to me once upon a time  smile_o.gif

Edit: Actually, Soviet Airbourne platoons were 23 men, no idea on structure but 7 men per squad. Motorised Rifle were 29 men, in sections of 9. Again, no idea on structure.

Although looking at it, it seems 3 sections/squads + a 2 man command element would make sense....in a motorized platoon i guess this means they'd use 4 BMPs....one per section + the COs BMP....

I know that Andrei Sakharov was banished to Gorky by the soviet authoroties and that Aung San Suu Kyi is put under house arrest. Maybe you could say being put "under observation" as well?