Sign in to follow this  
BoweryBaker

OFP2 AS A WHOLE

Lets not do a what if.  I think ofp2 should be two fictional armies fighting over a fictional piece of land all set in the future.  If its not like killzone or ace combat 5 then I won't pay for it but I'll keep my eye out for addons of that nature.  Once they start coming out I will pay for it.  Reason being, we're all eager to glorify our countries with all these unused addons but the fact is we just keep on glorifying war. A real war hawk doesn't advocate war, he positions properly in case of war.   

Bowery

I don`t think we glorifying War. mad_o.gif

Flashpoint is nearly a Anti War Game imo.

OFP is much realistic and show every Player that he can easely get killed in an armed conflict. It don`t matter if you are hi skilled or not, SF Guy or normal Soldier. If you go to War, there is a high chance that you don`t come back.

I think the point that he is trying to get across is that a fight between to fictional countries (even though they may be using real equipment) would be less politically charged.

I don't consider it that important, but I do see the problem. I have played LAN games which has been seriously unbalanced because some people refuse to play Soviet side for political reasons and most people refuse to play US side for political reasons. With fictional countries (or players who understand that they are playing a game, not voting in a effing election...), this problem would disappear. Personally, I prefer to play the Soviet side, but have no problem playing the US side if need be. It is just a game.

If we didn't have war or killing or woonding on our minds....

We would have never bought it in the first place....

As for this non existing generic army idea.........

Oh and glorify our countrys? Only reason I bought

OFP was cause I could drive vehicles.......

Since day one I have wanted to make a perfect

set of navy seals so I could play on my 2 comp lan

with my brother....... (Well so much for that idea)

If you have two immaginary armys, immaginary things

will have to be added to keep it immaginary...

Otherwise it will still be the US VS Russia only the US

and russia have a differnt names. Nothing new under the sun.

Thus it won't be as real as the first....

Thats just my take....

*Edit* I play as all sides, depending on what the mission

is... tounge_o.gif Though the game is still good for flying around

as civilians.... With guns.... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you have two immaginary armys, immaginary things

will have to be added to keep it immaginary...

Otherwise it will still be the US VS Russia only the US

and russia have a differnt names.

Not really, both superpowers have countries which they support with military equipment. One could, for instance, easily put two new countries on the european map (heck, Mission Impossible invented new nations almost every episode...), let's call them Krasnostan and Capitaland. They have a common border and old grudges. Suddenly, oil is found in Krasnostan, near the border, and Capitaland decides to invade to get it. The superpowers do not want to miss this oil, so they start to talk about domino effects and pour weapons and equipment into the area.

Close enough to reality to relate to, real equipment used, but direct references to real world politics avoided.

I'm not saying this is the way one should go, but it is an option.

Strike Fighters: Project 1's campaign involved two fictional Middle Eastern countries, one supported by the US and the other by the USSR.

bowery i think ur wrong with ofp ...

go get another game

ud be better of with a scifi shooter

yeh... if your gonna believe that OFP is glorifying war, you prolly dont appreciate the fullness of OFP: that everybody can die

OFP sure as hell hasn't glorified war for me. Playing MP with a good group of guys that you know quite well can really get the message across. One minute you're tabbing across a field, the next someone's been shot in the legs and is lying on the floor shouting for a medic. Nobody saw the shot, everyone's half scrambling for cover and half rushing to help the wounded guy.

Or worse, when you send someone down a street to check it out during a lull in the battle, and you watch them dashing from cover to cover, and just as they turn around to gesture you on, they get shot and just crumple over.

If you ask me, taking the realism away from the setting will glorify war more than setting it in a real place or scenario. Parachuting into Traconia with the 33rd Danubian Parachute Regiment and capturing the town of Drassen from the Traconian Army is too clean and detached. You know it's not real and will never happen because it's not real. However, when I'm bringing up my SA80 and drawing a bead on an African paramilitary in OFP, thinking that not so long ago someone might have been doing the same thing in Sierra Leone, it really makes you think.

A perfect example of "glroyfying war" is Battlefield, most people you speak to who play those games a lot can't wait to join the Army when they're old enough, the thing is the idiots don't understand that you can't run into a hail of bullets from an MG42 spitting out hundreds of 7.92mm Mauser high velocity rounds and live... unless you're superman or happen to have some swanky armour like that guy in Lethal Weapon 4 at the start.

Kooky's right, OFP isn't ULTRA realistic, but it still makes you think, it can be spooky running through the woods on Nogova at night alone knowing someone's out to get you (even worse in MP, they can actually run through them properly lol). It craps you up when you're all happily moving along then BAM Billy Bob goes down and you just hear the crack of a Dragunov a second later.

If you want fictional things, wait till it's out then make them yourself. That's the great think about OFP, you can make pretty much what your imagination desires (within reason obviously).

thats exactly it!!

and thats why i stick to ofp

cuz when u decide wrong u are arsed and on ur own

and there are no stupid medi kits .... or save points....

or..health bars!!

if u think ofp is glorifyng war, stop playing it....

cuz from that wot ive read so far ur post sounds like one

of those "serious" channel reports  about violent games.

maybe bis is programming us hmm?

KILL KILL KILL!!!!!

this is bullshit...

if u realyl thinks so u r no better then one of those stupid press idiots....

btw if ofp is gloryfing war...

does doom3 cause people to become satanists?

or does tetris cause poeple to be block heads?

well i played both but didnt become a mass murder or army fanatik (by now... who knows...maybe when ofp2 is out

il turn into a screwed patriotic freak! OH WAIT I GOT VBS!!

KILL KILL KILL!!!!)

seriously

no offense bowery but think twice before u pos sth like this...

I played Pac-Man a hell of a lot as a kid, but I don't run around mazes eating pills being chased by ghosts and listening to repetive electronic music.

Same way I'd shit a brick in real life if I had to shoot someone.

I play OFP and other war games cos I kinda consider them as a history lesson. I'd really like to go through all the major wars of the 20th century... why not a few of the 19th century too. the US civil war would be cool

I have to agree with BoweryBaker to some degree on this issue. I would rather see flashpoint stick with the cold war theme but if they are going to make it a current or future conflict I would rather see fictional countries used. I really hope it's not going to be a War on Terror â„¢ senerio. If it is I'm going to wait for the price to come down and for others to create materials for it.

well I think BIS guys are smart enough not to do a "War on Terror" thingy. the whole war is totally fake. only thing real in it is casualties

Personally I'd say least of all OFP glorifies war. Especially with with a lot of the quotes you see when you die. You certainly didn't see any propagandist lies like "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori" It's sweet and something or other to die for your country.

Usually they were satirizing war or simply critical of it.

Ghost recon, and their ilk is most definitely edged with all the propaganda of a Jerry Bruckheimer film.

For many reasons aside from that, I'm very glad OFP is nowhere near like any of those games.

As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing a battle in some anonymous made up nation. That to me is not relevant to combat realism. That's political realism.  That I could really care less about compared to combat realism.

I still think there was one good idea for a list of scenarios where you had to knock off some dictator on an island. Then again I'm totally biased towards a Jagged Alliance2 style OFP campaign because anyone who hasn't played that game has -no- concept. No fricking concept how cool that would be. None, nada none at all!

Capturing towns... raising militia... conducting raids! It would be just all too good to be true.

Now THAT'S a good idea. Big JA2 fan here. Probably one of the coolest games ever made, IMHO.

I'd like to see some good old-fashioned mercenary action in the game, and I'm not talking about any hollywood-style superhero mercenaries (the kind that are experts in warfare and have all kinds of "special skills"). I mean the kind that in real life fought in Africa, the Balkans etc.

The good part is, that there won't be a any real political reason to pick a side, since you have gotten rid of that black and white view on the world.

Quote[/b] ]I have played LAN games which has been seriously unbalanced because some people refuse to play Soviet side for political reasons and most people refuse to play US side for political reasons.

I dont think the game should be molded to fit a small group of stupid kids. The sides shouldnt be a problem. Its a game, its not like you are actually fighting for a country, you are fihgting for your team (or in CTFplayers cases for your stats wink_o.gif )

OFP really doesnt have a positive view on war. Like someone said all the quotes when you die has something bad to say about it and the resistance campaign wasnt exactly trying to tell you war is nice.

OFP really doesnt have a positive view on war. Like someone said all the quotes when you die has something bad to say about it and the resistance campaign wasnt exactly trying to tell you war is nice.

Most of the quotes can be interpreted either way, but that still depends on the player.