Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Metal Gear Solid 3

i just picked this game up today and rocks! the A.I. have been beefed up a bit, they'll use cover more effectivly and work better when in groups as they gang up on you. you also have to be careful about getting hurt. each kind of injury you sustain has to be treated differently. if you break a leg from falling, you'll have to make a splint for it. if you are struck by a bullet, you have to remove the bullet, stop the bleeding, sew the wound up, than bandage it or take medicine if you become sick by eating bad food or catch a cold. speaking of which you also have to eat stuff like snakes, rodents, crocs, and fish to keep healthy (and no, despite the rumors, you can't become a cannible and eat dead people). no more radar either. you have to rely on your wits and the use of camouflage, hiding in darkness and foliage. the only two things i don't like are the really long cut scenes that talk mostly about stuff that aren't at all related to the story of the game. and some of the enemies you face have these super natural powers that seem really out of place in the game.

Well duh!!! Have'nt you played any of the previous games? tounge_o.gif

Well probably grab it after Half-Life 2...

Already spent my money on Ace Combat 5 sad_o.gif

Prepare yourself for the unexpected and confusing twists which will undoubtedly make their appearance.

When are we gonna see the continuation of MGS2 is what I wanna know!

[!Gareth Gates must die!]

i just picked this game up today and rocks! the A.I. have been beefed up a bit, they'll use cover more effectivly and work better when in groups as they gang up on you. you also have to be careful about getting hurt. each kind of injury you sustain has to be treated differently. if you break a leg from falling, you'll have to make a splint for it. if you are struck by a bullet, you have to remove the bullet, stop the bleeding, sew the wound up, than bandage it or take medicine if you become sick by eating bad food or catch a cold. speaking of which you also have to eat stuff like snakes, rodents, crocs, and fish to keep healthy (and no, despite the rumors, you can't become a cannible and eat dead people). no more radar either. you have to rely on your wits and the use of camouflage, hiding in darkness and foliage. the only two things i don't like are the really long cut scenes that talk mostly about stuff that aren't at all related to the story of the game. and some of the enemies you face have these super natural powers that seem really out of place in the game.

Hey, they (cobra unit) are ones that defeated the nazis! Also, anybody notice the homo-erotic things in the game? The Major and Volgin; Big Boss (aka Snake) and Tanya (he did not want it from what i seen!!!); and Volgin grabbing Big Boss's wow_o.gif to test if he was the Major. I liked how it showed Ocelot had a little humanity for his fellow russian when he was young. I'm currently stuck on the Volgin fight.... crazy_o.gif However, I do got he Pain, The Fear, The Sorrow, The Fury, and The End camos wink_o.gif That torture scene was brutual... ghostface.gif

P.S.

I think you can only get the grabbing scene when you select I like MGS 2! before you start the game and equip the mask you get from that option after you get the Major's uniform....I hear the thong song... tounge_o.gif

Also, anybody notice the homo-erotic things in the game?

Like title "Snake eater" or codename "solid snake" would not be homoerotic enough.. tounge_o.gif

Also, anybody notice the homo-erotic things in the game?

Like title "Snake eater" or codename "solid snake" would not be homoerotic enough.. tounge_o.gif

At least they explained "Snake Eater" and his name is Snake not Solid Snake... wink_o.gif

I had the original on the NES way back in the day. The original was such an awsome game and the story was actually pretty decent.

I have metal gear solid substance on the Xbox. The game play is great but... it has the stupidest f'ing story line of any game I've ever played ever. So many retarded plot twist, and none of it's believable in the least bit.

Quote[/b] ] i don't like are the really long cut scenes that talk mostly about stuff that aren't at all related to the story of the game.

Exactly, like Otacon shaggin his mum and killing his step dad in MGS2. I could actually go in to the sci fi story line, but they kept going deeper and deeper into the not so believible stuff. I mean come on, psychics, vampires, and Ocelots liquid snake arm. When that vampire guy ran across the water then up the side of the big shell like mario I nearly shit my self laughing. Oh and then the stupid Freemasons secretly rule the world and know the 58th flavor of heinz story line, gimme a break.

I wish they would make a sequel to the original metal gear that is totally seperate from the solid story line. Basically solid could be the soap opera sci fi line of games and then they could have a alternate reality line of Metal Gear games based more on reality.

All that said I don't hate Substance, it's very fun. I like it alot but that story line sheesh. I'm actually playing through substance again with the aim of buying MGS3 when I'm done.

I've only played the demo of Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. Should I pick up a used copy, Or will it seem too prehistoric?

You know in the original game Snake wasn't a clone either. His previous military experience was as a Marine in Grenada. Their was a short bio in the NES manual. It explained how he got the Solid Snake name in one sentence.

I got to admit back then I was young and the name didn't bother me. Now it sounds like slang for a bonner.

So what the hell is Solidus Snake supposed to mean? Permawood? Ugh they so needed a better writer for the Solid line of games.

I think they would be much cooler if they had writers like Splinter Cell but let that Japanese guy develop the game play.

I've only played the demo of Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. Should I pick up a used copy, Or will it seem too prehistoric?

Go for the PC version, it should run more than fine nowadays and the plot line in that one was not THAT unbelievable compared to other MGS games. And no, I havent played sons of liberty or substance. Only solid, metal gear 2 and metal gear solid for gameboy which had a different plot than the PS1/PC version.

Go for the PC version, it should run more than fine nowadays and the plot line in that one was not THAT unbelievable compared to other MGS games. And no, I havent played sons of liberty or substance. Only solid, metal gear 2 and metal gear solid for gameboy which had a different plot than the PS1/PC version.

If you got a gamecube, get the MSG 1 remake. The graphics are updated to MSG 2 level and has extra crap.

OMG! The ending was great and sad... biggrin_o.gifsad_o.gif

-It explained who were the patriots and their legacy was.

-The only I can say about Ocelot he completely fools you in believing he is something but he is really not... biggrin_o.gif

-I loved how real world events is mixed in with the MSG world (i.e. the real reason how the cuban missile crisis ended and how China got the "bomb".)

-I loved the corny 60s spy theme it had.

-Metal Gear Rex makes a brief apperance early in the game...

-Loved how it showed Big Boss turning from a patriotic spy to something less.

-the timeline from the early 60s up to Les Enfantes Teribles Project at the end was cool... smile_o.gif

-Lastly, a lot of plot twists and holes are filled in (i.e. Big Boss's eye).

I enjoyed this game! Cannot wait for MSG 4...

God, I have to wait till March for it to come out here.  crazy_o.gif

What's the CQC system like?

I hardly used it because of the traq. gun (you get it right off the bat) and how the enemy had a thing for carry x22 darts for it. But, when I fought the Boss, CQC was cool. The options for CQC are (you have to sneak behind somebody to use it)...you can interrogate; break somebody neck; do a hard throw; and cut the person throat open; and use the person has a human shield.

Quote[/b] ]At least they explained "Snake Eater" and his name is Snake not Solid Snake...

His code name is... yes. Solid Snake

Metal Gear 1 manual

Quote[/b] ]A little bit about yourself

Recruited from the Marines after an heroic performance in the Grenada

invasion, you were given the code name "Solid Snake" because of your

ability to strike quickly, quietly and with deadly accuracy.

Metal Gear 2 manual

Quote[/b] ]"SOLID SNAKE"

The Player (You)

Was it because of MGS that the title of "solid snake" seemed to be dropped in favor of just snake?

Either way. He's solid snake.  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]At least they explained "Snake Eater" and his name is Snake not Solid Snake...

His code name is... yes. Solid Snake

Metal Gear 1 manual

Quote[/b] ]A little bit about yourself

Recruited from the Marines after an heroic performance in the Grenada

invasion, you were given the code name "Solid Snake" because of your

ability to strike quickly, quietly and with deadly accuracy.

Metal Gear 2 manual

Quote[/b] ]"SOLID SNAKE"

The Player (You)

Was it because of MGS that the title of "solid snake" seemed to be dropped in favor of just snake?

Either way. He's solid snake. biggrin_o.gif

The game is about Big Boss and not Solid Snake. Jack...oops...was given the codename Snake for Operation "Snake Eater" and after killing the Boss (leader of the Cobra Unit...cobra=snake...hence "Snake Eater"), his title was changed from Snake to Big Boss at the end of game by President Johnson (yes, the real Johnson).

Posts must of been confused... crazy_o.gif

Whoops my bad. Too many snakes methinks. There was liquid snake, solid snake... and now someone else was code named snake.

Yes. Much confusion.

Hey, they (cobra unit) are ones that defeated the nazis! Also, anybody notice the homo-erotic things in the game? The Major and Volgin; Big Boss (aka Snake) and Tanya (he did not want it from what i seen!!!); and Volgin grabbing Big Boss's wow_o.gif to test if he was the Major. I liked how it showed Ocelot had a little humanity for his fellow russian when he was young. I'm currently stuck on the Volgin fight.... crazy_o.gif However, I do got he Pain, The Fear, The Sorrow, The Fury, and The End camos wink_o.gif That torture scene was brutual... ghostface.gif

P.S.

I think you can only get the grabbing scene when you select I like MGS 2! before you start the game and equip the mask you get from that option after you get the Major's uniform....I hear the thong song... tounge_o.gif

i hated the Cobra Unit. except for The Fury. he was the coolest out of all the boss fights in the game. The Pain, The Fear, The End, The Sorrow and especially Volgin were all really really stupid. Konami should have left all that in Castlevania.

edit: and Volgin plays grabass w/ you no matter which one you pick.

wasn't fury the fire guy?

Yeah. The End was the hardest out the group (imho). Maybe the reason was I was trying to get his camo and rifle. Getting the camo was hard because you have to sneak up on him...I wanted to shot him in the head with shotgun because he pissed me off a lot... I had the chance but nooo... crazy_o.gif