Sign in to follow this  
denoir

Best country in the world?

Quote[/b] ]I don't know about you but at least I would prefer to live a good life in with some freedom and die a little more painfully than to live the whole life within 1x2m stanting in your own shit just to be awarded with a quick death.

I have to say I agree with you!

Speaking from experience, our rules on the butchering of meat are based on hygene rather then religion. That has served us well in the past, it will serve us well in the future. The EU has one of the highest standards about quality control of food and other consumer products.

Thank you very much but the 'Halal' meat is supposed to be CLEAN and hygenic  rock.gif

What are you implying here? That the rest of the world eats unclean meat or something and only europe knows how to get clean meat? We have relatively good standards of hygiene here too , i dont see anything wrong with the meat i buy here.

As for high standards everywhere , from where did the foot and mouth epidemic start from btw?

I am not implying anything, you are rushing to conclusions. I merely stated that our rules are based on the principle of hygene and the "Halal" system is grounded in religion (but is not persay less hygenic). I don't think that is an untrue or insulting statement, it is merely stating the truth. Animal cruelty is a whole different subject and I think its pretty offtopic.

The foot and mouth disease came from contiminated animal fodder. Left overs from the butchering process are ground into dust and used to make animal food. There are rules however that say that there should be no brain or spine in there. Offcourse, like everywhere, people are greedy and the parts that shouldn't get in did. Hence contaminating the live stock. Where it came from in the very beginning .... who knows really?

Bringing this thread back on topic, the only reason Greece is not in that list is because a) our economy is going from bad to worse crazy_o.gif and b) people have to realise that Athens != Greece.

World Values Survey

Subjective well-being ranking 2004:

Quote[/b] ]

Puerto Rico 4.67

Mexico 4.32

Denmark 4.24

Ireland 4.16

Iceland 4.15

Switzerland 4.00

N. Ireland 3.97

Colombia 3.94

Netherlands 3.86

Canada 3.76

Austria 3.69

El Salvador 3.67

Venezuela 3.58

Luxembourg 3.52

U.S. 3.47

Australia 3.46

New Zealand 3.39

Sweden 3.36

Nigeria 3.32

Norway 3.25

Belgium 3.23

Finland 3.23

Saudi Arabia 3.01

Singapore 3.00

Britain 2.92

W. Germany 2.67

France 2.61

Argentina 2.61

Vietnam 2.59

Chile 2.53

Philippines 2.32

Taiwan 2.25

Domin.Rep. 2.25

Brazil 2.23

Spain 2.13

Israel 2.08

Italy 2.06

E. Germany 2.02

Slovenia 2.02

Uruguay 2.02

Portugal 1.99

Japan 1.96

Czech Rep 1.94

S. Africa 1.86

Croatia 1.55

Greece 1.45

Peru 1.32

China 1.20

S. Korea 1.12

Iran 0.93

Poland 0.84

Turkey 0.84

Bosnia 0.82

Morocco .74

Uganda 0.67

Algeria 0.57

Bangladesh 0.54

Egypt 0.52

Hungary 0.41

Slovakia 0.40

Jordan 0.39

Estonia 0.24

Serbia 0.21

Tanzania 0.13

Azerbaijan 0.13

Montenegro 0.06

India 0.03

Lithuania -0.07

Macedonia -0.14

Pakistan -0.30

Latvia -0.70

Albania -0.86

Bulgaria -0.87

Belarus -0.92

Georgia -1.11

Romania -1.30

Moldova -1.63

Russia -1.75

Armenia -1.80

Ukraine -1.81

Zimbabwe -1.88

Indonesia -2.40

Related article: Sad, Sad Slavs: Ukrainians see themselves as Europe's most miserable people [CBC]

That's kind of misleading vis-a-vis Puerto Rico. There's an astronomical unemployment rate there (10% - very high for the US - source: http://stats.bls.gov/eag/eag.pr.htm) and most people live off of money sent to them by their families living in the US mainland (but by no means exclusively). That brings me to my second point, PR is a part of the US, even if it isn't a state.

I agree with the statement on the UK being a shithole. Nothing but bastards torching cars, pregnant 12 year old sluts, and a government playing sandbox with it's army.

Why aren't the Falklands on that list?

Time to bring Austrailia back under British rule methinks, then they won't be drinking their fosters.

What are you, some sort of racist or someting? tounge_o.gif How can you tell which one is happier just from looking at it? I mean you need a team of at least 20 scientists to make a study of 7 years, and even then, the findings will be inconcusive. biggrin_o.gif

Subjective well-being ranking 2004.

It's sort of a survey of the mentality of the people. Reverse the list and cross check it against an objective ranking, and you'll get how much the population likes to whine.

While for some countries the ranking might correspond to the objective one, in many of the cases it is just the subjective perception of their situation.

It's hardly surprising for instance to see the European ex-communist countries at the bottom. Capitalism was a big let-down for them and the transition from a state that provides everything to a state that provides very little was rough.

I always will say "The best nation has no ego"

Every nation has the same ego.

You could put up as many statistics as you want but you are just puting mathmatical reason to a point that is not really important. Like shakespear said "Lest ye not the nations deprive me"

But every nation has the ego. and there is nothing to do about it. Just like the VBS1 vs. OFPR right here in this gaming community... There is no better one. Because both VBS1 and OFPR communities have the same ego making neither better than the other.

BTW- "Nations" has 2 meanings.

Subjective well-being ranking 2004.

It's sort of a survey of the mentality of the people. Reverse the list and cross check it against an objective ranking, and you'll get how much the population likes to whine.

While for some countries the ranking might correspond to the objective one, in many of the cases it is just the subjective perception of their situation.

It's hardly surprising for instance to see the European ex-communist countries at the bottom. Capitalism was a big let-down for them and the transition from a state that provides everything to a state that provides very little was rough.

Exactly my point. If so many people get so much money from relatives in the States, then you bet they'd be happy. It's like me getting a check for $2000 every month from my brother (given cost-of-living adjustments). You're damn well right I'd be pretty high on the well-being scale with that much extra money in my pockets.

Multiply that out by the average Puero Rican nuclear family, where 4 children is about average, and then factor in the extended families who are close-knit and pretty soon you can understand why Puerto Ricans would be so happy to live somewhere hit by hurricanes 6 months a year, no control over their political process above the local level, and with a high unemployment rate.

The amount of money flowing from the mainland to PR is astronomical.

Quote[/b] ]I agree with the statement on the UK being a shithole. Nothing but bastards torching cars, pregnant 12 year old sluts, and a government playing sandbox with it's army.

LOOOL - I'd fancy to live somewhere in Wales though. I've heard only good things about the sheep over there!

Seriously, the scenery is beautyful.

I agree with the statement on the UK being a shithole. Nothing but bastards torching cars, pregnant 12 year old sluts, and a government playing sandbox with it's army.

You must be living somewhere very shitty indeed.

Nice area down my end, few chavs but even Belgiums got em (And yes i have been there).

Dont think you even been near Cornwall or the Midlands have you.

I hate it when people decide what a countries like on one area of it, or one stupid news item etc.

Maybe we should do a US type of scheme to get rid of pregnancies.

What you mean about Army statement.

But yer its getting worse and something has to be done. This is suppose to be about quality of life right? Well in summer we get sun and winter we get snow. If its raining its your fault you didnt have an umbrella or a coat with you, or you actually left your home, lol.

Hi Oligo - ever heard about Belgian Blue, the nice white veal of the netherlands and the dutch hormone mafia?

Link here!

The veal is white because of starvation and the Belgian Blue is the hulk of cattle  sad_o.gif We make sure our domestic animals live under such high standards that animals often die from suffocation during transport.

All I said was that hormones are officially banned in EU. After that it is a matter of law enforcement to prevent f.ex. hormone rackets.

I didn't claim that EU agriculture is perfect in any way. Compared to US however, where eveything goes, it is quite enlightened.

I also have to point out that personally it is very nice to read about hormone rackets and such, because I work for a company that sells diagnostic kits for the detection of banned substances in food. More rackets, more business for us. smile_o.gif

You do know the teenage pregnancy rate in the US right?.. crazy_o.gif

Well ive heard their scheme works better then ours so........

Teenage pregnancy is almost twice as bad in the US as it is in the UK crazy_o.gif And the UK is still the most primitive sex-ed country in the EU crazy_o.gif

Copy your neighbours, not someone from half-way across the world who is obviously doing it wrong wink_o.gif

Teenage pregnancy is almost twice as bad in the US as it is in the UK  crazy_o.gif And the UK is still the most primitive sex-ed country in the EU crazy_o.gif

Copy your neighbours, not someone from half-way across the world who is obviously doing it wrong  wink_o.gif

It is going down and the rate is at a 60 year low... mad_o.gif  unclesam.gif

Teenage pregnancy is almost twice as bad in the US as it is in the UK  crazy_o.gif And the UK is still the most primitive sex-ed country in the EU crazy_o.gif

Copy your neighbours, not someone from half-way across the world who is obviously doing it wrong  wink_o.gif

It is going down and the rate is at a 60 year low... mad_o.gif  unclesam.gif

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1213875,00.html

Quote:

Quote[/b] ]

The two western countries at the top of the disaster league, the United States and the United Kingdom, are those in which conservative campaigns are among the strongest and sex education and access to contraception are among the weakest. The US, the UN Population Fund's figures show, is the only rich nation stuck in the middle of the third world block, with 53 births per 1,000 teenagers - a record worse than those of India, the Philippines and Rwanda.

If this is a low, then I don't want to know what your high was crazy_o.gif

Not to mention the this "low" has been achieved during oh-so-decadent democrat administrations who thought that maybe telling kids not to have sex is not the best way to prevent pregnancies. Hell, the more conservative red states have higher teenage pregnancy rates and divorces.