Blake

Which guns do you own

What is the price tag on fullauto weapons in US?

Too much. heh. In the 80's, the government decided to further erode our 2nd amendment rights by banning civillian ownership of any full auto weapons made after 1986. So obviously the prices have inflated exponentially.

A total package M-16 costs on average around $14k USD. The typical 'lightning link', which is basically an addon to make non-select-fire M-16's into full auto weapons is close to 8k. They seriously cost less than 10 dollars in material to fabricate, but you can't fabricate them without your class three manufacturing license, and only for the purpose of selling to Law enforcement agencies, who don't need them since they can buy their full autos new for the un-inflated prices of $6-700 USD.

The cheapest you can find is probably a FA Mac-10 or similar cheapo, and they're around $3500 on average.

Edit: For a bit of info to make sure that all makes sense: according to the NFA, and most specifically on the AR-15 platform, only the lower is considered a firearm. So A full auto fully built M-16 would cost 14k. But just the pre-1986 lower would cost nearly the same, simply because once you have it, you can toss the old upper assembly for something more modern. A Lightning Link itself, which is honestly only a tiny bit of stamped metal, is also considered a firearm all on it's own. So if you have a lightning link inside of a new AR-15, you essentially have a standard firearm as well as another class 3 firearm combined.

Edited by TheCapulet

... thats sad :(

I haven't seen any fullauto M16s around here (people in Czech Republic are usually not very interested in AR15 platform), so I have no idea what is the price for that, but prices for fullauto weapons here are very reasonable (FNFAL/G3A3 1000USD, UZI 700USD, PPSh41 270USD, M1A1 518USD). I love firearms, but I would never pay 14k USD for a gun, thats just crazy. But we are the country where beer is cheaper than water :D

Heh, I'd love to have those kinds of prices. There's a small political movement to get the 1986 ban repealed, but I don't see it ever happening while Obama is in office.

Once another gun-friendly republican is back in the white house, it's more likely a repeal case would make it to the supreme court. And once a legitimate case is made, it's honestly a pretty easy one to execute. We just need the backing by a few decent political activist organizations (National Rifle Association not included) to pay for proper lawyers and a president who won't try to stamp the effort out due to the Brady Campaign noise.

I doubt it will ever happen. If it didnt happen under Bush II it just wont.

As for Obama, I seem to remember a shriek fest that as soon as he took office all sorts of crazy anti-gun legislation would happy. Funny that it didn't, right? I think that Obama is well aware of the power of the gun lobby and has absolutely no interest in making trouble he essentially doesn't need.

Up here in Soviet Canuckistan our gun laws are far more onerous, but I can buy a Norc, or if I want to shell out the big bucks, a TAR-21... both of which are unavailable in the US. Whats up with that? :)

edit:

Criminals can get pretty much any firearms they want these days, full auto or not... so arguing that a ban on new civilian full auto weapons keeps them out of the hands of criminals is disingenuous. The truth probably lies in LEOs and other government agencies wanting to keep full auto weapons out of the hands of those who are law abiding citizens but may want to "make a stand" at some point.

Edited by Warin

I doubt it will ever happen. If it didnt happen under Bush II it just wont.

As for Obama, I seem to remember a shriek fest that as soon as he took office all sorts of crazy anti-gun legislation would happy. Funny that it didn't, right? I think that Obama is well aware of the power of the gun lobby and has absolutely no interest in making trouble he essentially doesn't need.

Up here in Soviet Canuckistan our gun laws are far more onerous, but I can buy a Norc, or if I want to shell out the big bucks, a TAR-21... both of which are unavailable in the US. Whats up with that? :)

edit:

Criminals can get pretty much any firearms they want these days, full auto or not... so arguing that a ban on new civilian full auto weapons keeps them out of the hands of criminals is disingenuous. The truth probably lies in LEOs and other government agencies wanting to keep full auto weapons out of the hands of those who are law abiding citizens but may want to "make a stand" at some point.

I know, right? :P

As for Bush Jr., the real issue with it happening then was 1. The US gun-rights political movement hadn't really started. Specially with the aftermath of 9-11, people's minds were elsewhere during his first term. And 2. Congress/house control was firmly in the Lefty's side at the time. The Righties couldn't afford a major battle like gun rights to put them on the chopping block, specially with war weariness weighing in so heavily on the voters. So bush played it cool for the rest of his term. Because, let's face it... McCain and Barbie needed all the help they could get.

But at the moment, the Righties have wrestled control from the left side in both congress and the house. And after Obama's train wreck of handling the economy and US deficit, as well as failed promises about both wars and the economy, Left side public confidence is at an all time low.

So with all of that in mind, 1. We're probably going to have a republican president next term. 2. The Gun-Rights movement is in full swing, specially after the supreme court has ruled favorably in 2 Gun-Rights cases so far this term. (And likely a 3rd, if Chicago keeps making such a fuss about following the rules set down by them) And 3. If #1 pans out, republicans will have absolutely nothing to fear during early term.

At that point, they have the time and support to get it through. They have the supreme court's favorable rules still in the horizon. And they'll have another source of tax revenue from more Class III tax stamps being sold. Everything is in it's favor.

I foresee (or at least really really really hope. :P) that next term is the one where the US will finally see the NFA machine-gun ban lifted, as well as a national reciprocity Carry license acceptance.

I always find it amusing when Americans talk about the Democratic Party as "Lefties" The Democrats are far to the right of even the most moderate European or Canadian "leftist" party. :D

I will save a discussion of Obama and the 2012 election cycle for the American politics thread so as not to derail the discussion here.

Just about the only thing Obama did that impressed me was legalizing CCW in national parks. I imagine his supporters feel the same way about that as his detractors feel about every other thing hes done.

A Liberal in Europe is actually a Libertarian in the United States. A Progressive was actually a conservative Evangelical women's movement.

On topic, I'm going to pick up a Remington 700 SBS Tactical. Bolts aren't usually my style but it's worth having.

Edited by HyperU2

I own a Ruger Mini 14, DPMS AP4 Carbine with Magpul furniture and an EOTech 552(u jelly?), Glock 19, Kimber Custom II, Remington 870, and hoping to get a Sig P229 in the future for EDC.

I own a Ruger Mini 14, DPMS AP4 Carbine with Magpul furniture and an EOTech 552(u jelly?), Glock 19, Kimber Custom II, Remington 870, and hoping to get a Sig P229 in the future for EDC.

Jelly? Nope. :P My custom M4 has a TA31RCO Acog that picked up for a steal at $700.

How do you like the Kimber compared to other 1911's you've fired?

I’m not a big fan of kimber, but that’s partially maybe because they are overpriced here and partially because of all the extractor issues they had back in the day. About half a year ago I was buying new 1911 for personal protection. I wanted something with rail, extended grip safety, long beaver tail and some other custom modification. In the end I was deciding between Kimber Tactical Entry II, Springfield Operator and S&W 1911PD. I bought the S&W after I tried all of them. Mostly because of the price and how light it is. While shooting they all behaved pretty much the same. Since that I never regretted my choice. So far I fired 5000rounds (including tacticool shooting) with 0 (yes ZERO) FTF/FTE and I buy and shoot crappy cheep ammo (MFS, Magtech, S&B). I never experienced such reliability with any other gun. It REALLY depends what models (and from what year) you want to compare.

Mafia hitman?

Maaayyybe....

Jk. It looks like one of those old small Mafia revolvers but it has a white handle and the barrel is longer. Its my dads gun and he had it since he was 12. Hes 50 now. And last time I shot it was last year and was surprised it didnt explode on us.

It'll just be a tiny explosion. I grew up shooting a .22 revolver, good times.

It'll just be a tiny explosion.

Thats an overstatement! It sounded like one of those toy plastic guns that use those small red popping caps. Only difference is that mine can hurt you.

I’m not a big fan of kimber, but that’s partially maybe because they are overpriced here and partially because of all the extractor issues they had back in the day. About half a year ago I was buying new 1911 for personal protection. I wanted something with rail, extended grip safety, long beaver tail and some other custom modification. In the end I was deciding between Kimber Tactical Entry II, Springfield Operator and S&W 1911PD. I bought the S&W after I tried all of them. Mostly because of the price and how light it is. While shooting they all behaved pretty much the same. Since that I never regretted my choice. So far I fired 5000rounds (including tacticool shooting) with 0 (yes ZERO) FTF/FTE and I buy and shoot crappy cheep ammo (MFS, Magtech, S&B). I never experienced such reliability with any other gun. It REALLY depends what models (and from what year) you want to compare.

They don't really have extractor problems anymore unless you're shopping for used ones that have their totally useless external extractor experiment on it. I've actually only shot one at a range pass around a while back, and only put one mag through it. But I've also heard that the barrels aren't chrome lined and are partial to corrosion. And obviously the rumors about MIM parts. Wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has had to live with the purchase of one.

Also, good choice on the S&W. ;) As a range or defense carry gun, their external extractors for the 1911 are top notch. Easiest 1911 extractor I've ever changed.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Also, just bought another 1911. Springfield 1911 GI. I liked the custom grips he had on , but the guy wouldn't sell them to me separately. So I'll just replace them and re-sell the gun. :P

I would like to own a Ruger Single Six for some Cowboy Action fun.

My dad just bought a Taurus Judge .410/.45LC for snakes. It is a hoot to shoot as well.

I would like to own a Ruger Single Six for some Cowboy Action fun.

My dad just bought a Taurus Judge .410/.45LC for snakes. It is a hoot to shoot as well.

Agreed! The Judge is a blast to shoot. Just got done blowing some pumpkins sky high with one yesterday. Along with blowing some off posts at 800 yards with an R700 my friend just picked up from the same range day I just got that Springer GI. Roughly 400 rounds later with the various rifles we had, suffice to say that my shoulder is a tad bit sore. I love living the American Dream. :292:

Hello,

When I lived in africa I had a .45 m1911 (a beast) and a little s&w .38 snubnose. I seem to remember the revolver was only 5 rounds rather than six. (a common misapprehension is that all revolvers are "6 shooters".

Now, I'm back in Blighty, I'm happily unarmed, i'd rather keep my gunplay in Sims.

rgds

LoK

This is thread about guns members own, not about gun related politics/social issues.

temporarily locking to clean up

edit:

Opened again. DO NOT get into gun related politics/social commentary.

Edited by RalphWiggum

Eh, would have preferred it if the non-topic posts were moved to a diff thread. It was actually a pretty decent discussion.

On topic; does anyone have a S&W .380 bodyguard? Looking at one in trade, but know absolutely nothing about it.