Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

Vanunu arrested by Israeli police

Quote[/b] ]The Israeli former nuclear technician Mordechai Vanunu, released in April after 18 years in jail, has been re-arrested, police say.

He is being held on suspicion of passing on classified information, police sources say.

Vanunu was convicted of treason over his disclosures about Israel's nuclear weapons programme and jailed in 1986.

Strict conditions were imposed on him after release, including a ban on giving interviews to foreign media.

However, Mr Vanunu has repeatedly been in contact with journalists and was interviewed on BBC television a couple of weeks ago.

Mr Vanunu revealed details of Israel's secret nuclear facilities to a British newspaper, in the face of Israeli denials.

There have been suggestions that Mr Vanunu's detention, coming on the day of Yasser Arafat's death, may have been timed to avoid widescale media coverage, says the BBC's Richard Miron in Jerusalem.

BBC article here

Don't you just love those free and democratic nations of the middle east crazy_o.gif

Don't you just love those free and democratic nations of the middle east  crazy_o.gif

Don'y you just love these hypocritical left wingnuts who are cynical about a country's democracy because someone under legal contract and parole agreement to not publicize classified state secrets repeatedly does so?

what "classified state secrets" he publiziced this time?

Don't you just love those free and democratic nations of the middle east  crazy_o.gif

Don'y you just love these hypocritical left wingnuts who are cynical about a country's democracy because someone under legal contract and ..

Come on Avon, have you ever heard about conditions like that in a free society? It's nothing else than a state's personal vendetta towards a person whom have done his time.

Quote[/b] ] ......parole agreement to not publicize classified state secrets repeatedly does so?

Really? So, mayby Norwegian authoroties should hunt down Arne Treholt and charge him once more?

The whole world knows you have nuclear weapons. Vanunu is of no interest no more. Whatever a technician told back then is old news. He's got nothing more do disclose!

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>I CAN'T TELL YOU!</span>

Oh, you can probably read it in the papers......

Yeah I know - it's real dynamite  crazy_o.gif

Here's the restrictions - and please tell me where else in the "free world" you would expect to find conditions like that:

Quote[/b] ]VANUNU CURBS

No passport

May not leave Israel for a year

Contact with foreigners only by permission

Barred from foreign embassies

Media interviews not permitted

Banned from discussing nuclear secrets

Quote[/b] ]The Israeli former nuclear technician Mordechai Vanunu, released in April after 18 years in jail, has been re-arrested, police say.

He is being held on suspicion of passing on classified information, police sources say.

Vanunu was convicted of treason over his disclosures about Israel's nuclear weapons programme and jailed in 1986.

Strict conditions were imposed on him after release, including a ban on giving interviews to foreign media.

However, Mr Vanunu has repeatedly been in contact with journalists and was interviewed on BBC television a couple of weeks ago.

Mr Vanunu revealed details of Israel's secret nuclear facilities to a British newspaper, in the face of Israeli denials.

There have been suggestions that Mr Vanunu's detention, coming on the day of Yasser Arafat's death, may have been timed to avoid widescale media coverage, says the BBC's Richard Miron in Jerusalem.

BBC article here

He broke the laws of his country and was arrested as a result. I am surprised he wasn't tried for treason and shot back when he was arrested/abducted in 1986!

Don'y you just love these hypocritical left wingnuts who are cynical about a country's democracy because someone under legal contract and ..

Come on Avon, have you ever heard about conditions like that in a free society? It's nothing else than a state's personal vendetta towards a person whom have done his time.

Really? There are no laws in your country to protect state secrets, especially by government employees under contract?

And then to publicize such secrets at the potential of harming national security?

And you say that the "real free world" has no qualms with their own citizens that do so?

Good for you!

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ] ......parole agreement to not publicize classified state secrets repeatedly does so?

Really? So, mayby Norwegian authoroties should hunt down Arne Treholt and charge him once more?

Maybe but I'm too tired to google for "Treholt" to find out what you're talking about and come up with an instant opinion based on reading 250 words or less on the subject.

Quote[/b] ]

The whole world knows you have nuclear weapons.

SHSHSHSHSHSHSHS! NOT SO LOUD! crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Vanunu is of no interest no more. Whatever a technician told back then is old news. He's got nothing more do disclose!

So you say. Obviously you're an expert.

He broke the laws of his country and was arrested as a result. I am surprised he wasn't tried for treason and shot back when he was arrested/abducted in 1986!

It's not relevant if you'r surprised or not. Your view of rights and wrong has nothing to do with it. Actually, one can very well argue that the reason why we have resonable laws in a society is not only to protect the society - but also the individuals in it - yes - even the criminals. The person was sentenced and did his time and should be left alone. That he wasn't shot for treason speaks for israel's moral advantage, yet we don't do that in "civilized nations" except in times of war.

So tell me exronin - do you put people behind bars twice for the same crime in Greece?

Quote[/b] ]Really? There are no laws in your country to protect state secrets, especially by government employees under contract?

And then to publicize such secrets at the potential of harming national security?

And you say that the "real free world" has no qualms with their own citizens that do so?

You tell me what kind of knowledge about the dimona reactor is so dangerous today that you need to put him behind bars.

We know you have nuclear weapons. We know you make some of it at the dimona site. What more could he possibly say to harm you?

Quote[/b] ]Maybe but I'm too tired to google for "Treholt" to find out what you're talking about and come up with an instant opinion based on reading 250 words or less on the subject.

Norwegian spy caught with his head in the cooky jar.

Passed on Nato secrets to the russians during the cold war.

Gave lots of interviews after he had been released - but none came after him although lots of norwegians felt he was left off the hook too easily.

Quote[/b] ]So you say. Obviously you're an expert.

If you say so!  smile_o.gif

yeah i doubt he knows anything that could actully harm israel anymore back in 1986, yes nut not now the whole world knows you have nuclear weapons so theres no real point in denying it

yeah i doubt he knows anything that could actully harm israel anymore back in 1986

Yet you don't know for sure. Another expert.

Quote[/b] ]yes nut not now the whole world knows you have nuclear weapons so theres no real point in denying it

Where did I deny it?

When was the last time the Israeli government denied it? You seem to know.

Quote[/b] ]It's not relevant if you'r surprised or not. Your view of rights and wrong has nothing to do with it.

What's the point of trying to knock a typical English figure of speech?  rock.gif Irrelevant.

Quote[/b] ]Actually, one can very well argue that the reason why we have resonable laws in a society is not only to protect the society - but also the individuals in it - yes - even the criminals

Can, worms, different thread material.

Quote[/b] ]The person was sentenced and did his time and should be left alone

He did not do his time, he was released early and was told what the rules were. He broke them, so back he goes. This legislation exists everywhere in Europe.

Quote[/b] ]That he wasn't shot for treason speaks for israel's moral advantage, yet we don't do that in "civilized nations" except in times of war.

I know for certain that both the US and the UK still carry death sentences for treason.

Quote[/b] ]So tell me exronin - do you put people behind bars twice for the same crime in Greece?

What does Greece have to do with this case?

ok sorry im not an expert and wouldnt claim to be in fact i know very little about this whole case, what i meant about the denying it bit was that from what ive seen about israels nuclear program on tv, when officals were being interviewed the most coman answer equated to no comment.

"fires up google to do some reading on the subject so next post is better informed"

"fires up google to do some reading on the subject so next post is better informed"

You will most likely encounter links to the thousands of BrgNorways of the world. Good luck!

You will most likely encounter links to the thousands of BrgNorways of the world. Good luck!

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]What's the point of trying to knock a typical English figure of speech? rock.gif Irrelevant.

A typical figure of speach......well, clearly you were not writing in urdu - but I guess you would be surprised to know that we do get surprised in Norway as well. What on earth was the point in what you just wrote. And now this:

Quote[/b] ]Can, worms, different thread material.

Different thread material you say? Please enlighten me why democracy has no meaning in the current discussion?

Quote[/b] ]He did not do his time, he was released early and was told what the rules were. He broke them, so back he goes. This legislation exists everywhere in Europe.

.....you honestly find the conditions "fair" :

No passport

May not leave Israel for a year

Contact with foreigners only by permission

Barred from foreign embassies

Media interviews not permitted

Banned from discussing nuclear secrets

The last one looks reasonable - but what is considered nuclear secrets when it's all known?

Quote[/b] ]I know for certain that both the US and the UK still carry death sentences for treason.

Really - can you remember anyone in UK or US that received the death penalty for spying - even during the cold war?

Quote[/b] ]What does Greece have to do with this case?

Well, I was under the impression that you condone the current israeli legal arrangements of being send to prison twice for the same crime.

If you are familiar with that in Greece I sure as hell wont go there on vacation once more.

Don'y you just love these hypocritical left wingnuts who are cynical about a country's democracy because someone under legal contract and parole agreement to not publicize classified state secrets repeatedly does so?

Parole?

Please tell me what free and democratic nation places someone on parole after completing their full prison sentence.

Parole?

Please tell me what free and democratic nation places someone on parole after completing their full prison sentence.

One that remains a direct security threat to a fragile country in a fragile corner of the world.

More misplaced pity. No lack of it this day and age.

I know for certain that both the US and the UK still carry death sentences for treason.

The death sentence is abolished throughout the EU. UK was last in 1998 when the capital punishment for treason and "violent piracy" was abolished. [source]

(the last actual execution in the UK took place on 13th August 1964)

Quote[/b] ]One that remains a direct security threat to a fragile country in a fragile corner of the world.

You don't mean Israel do you Avon? You know, the one that has one of the worlds most powerfull military organisations in one of the most fragile corners of the world. The nation that would easily beat all of the arab nations alone and by itself in a battle - one more time - with conventional weapons too!

Yes, I can see Vanunu is a real security threat rock.gif However, I believe it's not so much a security threat as it is the collective israeli identity that was dented by Vanunu back then (and still is of course) . Nothing is worse than an israeli betraying Israel - apart from doing so when Israel officially denies having the stuff in the first place.

Quote[/b] ]More misplaced pity. No lack of it this day and age.

On the contrary, I understand why he was sentenced to jail after being found guilty of disclosing state secrets. Nothing wrong with putting the man in prison.

However, not allowing the man his freedom after he has served his time is wrong - and not something you expect to find in a modern democracy!

Quote[/b] ]One that remains a direct security threat to a fragile country in a fragile corner of the world.

You don't mean Israel do you Avon? You know, the one that has one of the worlds most powerfull military organisations in one of the most fragile corners of the world. The nation that would easily beat all of the arab nations alone and by itself in a battle - one more time - with conventional weapons too!

Even if it's true, so what? And at what cost?

We can afford to endanger ourselves - is that your point? We here in Israel bask in security?

If you say so.

Quote[/b] ]

Yes, I can see Vanunu is a real security threat rock.gif However, I believe it's not so much a security threat as it is the collective israeli identity that was dented by Vanunu back then (and still is of course) . Nothing is worse than an israeli betraying Israel - apart from doing so when Israel officially denies having the stuff in the first place.

Quote[/b] ]More misplaced pity. No lack of it this day and age.

On the contrary, I understand why he was sentenced to jail after being found guilty of disclosing state secrets. Nothing wrong with putting the man in prison.

However, not allowing the man his freedom after he has served his time is wrong - and not something you expect to find in a modern democracy!

Seems normal to me, under the circumstances. But to an extent, I agree with you.

There's indeed an old British Mandate law, still on the books here, that permits administrative detention. The law is rarely used. Totally undemocratic.

This law should have been used against Vanunu, IMO. Instead he was threatened with it and let go under conditions that he no longer attempt to reveal anything he knows in any which way.

He violated the rules. Lock him up and throw away the key.

There are a million and one absurd laws and arrests made in this world, in Europe, the US and everywhere else. For some reason, this piece of trash has become so many people's cause celebre. <sarcasm>I just can't imagine why.</sarcasm>

We can afford to endanger ourselves - is that your point? We here in Israel bask in security?

If you say so.

And poor little you can't stand anybody else having nukes to stand up against your nukes (like, the cold war didn't turn "hot" the way everybody feared because of DETERRENCE) - so you didn't mind blowing up an iraqui nuclear facility nor would you mind at all to do the same to Iran...  rock.gif   crazy_o.gif   mad_o.gif

Edit: Because, of course, nobody else in the Middle East has the right to have nukes besides Israel... riiiiiiight...  blues.gif

BUZZARD @ Nov. 11 2004,15:41)]

If you say so.

And poor little you can't stand anybody else having nukes to protect against your nukes (like, the cold war didn't turn "hot" the way everybody feared because of DETERRENCE) - so you didn't mind blowing up an iraqui nuclear facility nor would you mind at all to do the same to Iran...  rock.gif   crazy_o.gif   mad_o.gif

What a terrible country we are, taking away Saddam's toys 14 years ago. Shame! Shame!

Quote[/b] ]Edit: Because, of course, nobody else in the Middle East has the right to have nukes besides Israel... riiiiiiight... blues.gif

No other country has been sworn to its destruction by almost all of its' surrounding neighbors other than Israel.

I wonder if there's a connection?

I hope you'll drool with delight when the Ayatollah's of Iran have succeeded to produce their little plutionium collection.

Really - can you remember anyone in UK or US that received the death penalty for spying - even during the cold war?

Rosenberg trials:

Quote[/b] ]The couple were the only two American civilians to be executed for conspiracy to commit espionage during the Cold War

Just to remind you that the US at least did execute some spies during the cold war (although not usually). But then they are still quite fond of killing of suspects without fair trials...