Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

USA Politics Thread - *No gun debate*

EDIT: Respecting the mod's wishes.

I guess I don't find words for that ... crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The Self-Locking F-22

By ROBERT BRYCE

Last week, Lockheed Martin announced that its profits were up a hefty 60 percent in the first quarter. The company earned $591 million in profit on revenues of $9.2 billion. Now, if the company could just figure out how to put a door handle on its new $361 million F-22 fighter, its prospects would really soar.

On April 10, at Langley Air Force Base, an F-22 pilot, Capt. Brad Spears, was locked inside the cockpit of his aircraft for five hours. No one in the U.S. Air Force or from Lockheed Martin could figure out how to open the aircraft's canopy. At about 1:15 pm, chainsaw-wielding firefighters from the 1st Fighter Wing finally extracted Spears after they cut through the F-22's three-quarter inch-thick polycarbonate canopy.

Total damage to the airplane, according to sources inside the Pentagon: $1.28 million. Not only did the firefighters ruin the canopy, which cost $286,000, they also scuffed the coating on the airplane's skin which will cost about $1 million to replace.

Here are more photos of the incident.

The Pentagon currently plans to buy 181 copies of the F-22 from Lockheed Martin, the world's biggest weapons vendor. The total price tag: $65.4 billion.

The incident at Langley has many Pentagon watchers shaking their heads. Tom Christie, the former director of testing and evaluation for the DOD, calls the F-22 incident at Langley "incredible." "God knows what'll happen next," said Christie, who points out that the F-22 has about two million lines of code in its software system. "This thing is so software intensive. You can't check out every line of code."

Now, just for the sake of comparison, Windows XP, one of the most common computer operating systems, contains about 45 million lines of code. But if any of that code fails, then the computer that's running it simply stops working. It won't cause that computer to fall out of the sky. If any of the F-22's two million lines of computer code go bad, then the pilot can die, or, perhaps, just get trapped in the cockpit.

One analyst inside the Pentagon who has followed the F-22 for years said that "Everyone's incredulous. They're asking can this really have happened?" As for Lockheed Martin, the source said, "Whatever the problem was, the people who built it should know how to open the canopy."

Given that the U.S. military is Lockheed Martin's biggest client, perhaps the company could provide the Air Force with a supply of slim jims or coat hangars, just in case another F-22 pilot gets stuck at the controls.

As if the latest canopy shenanigans weren't bad enough, on May 1, Defense News reported that there are serious structural problems with the F-22. Seems the titanium hull of the aircraft isn't meshing as well as it should. Naturally, taxpayers have to foot the bill for the mistake (improper heat-treating of the titanium) which is found on 90 aircraft. The cost of repairing those wrinkles? Another $1 billion or so.

Lockheed Martin's F-22 spokesman, Joe Quimby, did not return telephone calls.

http://www.counterpunch.com/bryce05032006.html

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=20396

rofl.gif

That's nothing!

I bet the chainsaws they used to cut through the canopy cost the Defense Department $8,000,000 each after being purchased via military procurement channels.

And every year there is White House Correspondents' Association Dinner, where presidents make fun of themselves.

This year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6va2fOXGmNU

And the guest was Stephen Colbert, a comic who has a show on Comedy Central channel called "Colbert Report" which is spoof of O'reilly's ahow and others like it.

My personal opinion is that he really made fun of Bush.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcIRXur61II

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0INDOkFuo

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJvar7BKwvQ

Here is Jon Stewart show on last year's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZTzgzoxU84

and Bush's reaction to the clip that Colbert made

http://news.yahoo.com/s....5220719

Quote[/b] ]

Bush says fight against terror is 'World War III'

Fri May 5, 6:07 PM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US

President George W. Bush said the September 11 revolt of passengers against their hijackers on board Flight 93 had struck the first blow of "World War III." ADVERTISEMENT

In an interview with the financial news network CNBC, Bush said he had yet to see the recently released film of the uprising, a dramatic portrayal of events on the United Airlines plane before it crashed in a Pennsylvania field.

But he said he agreed with the description of David Beamer, whose son Todd died in the crash, who in a Wall Street Journal commentary last month called it "our first successful counter-attack in our homeland in this new global war -- World War III".

Churchill or Roosevelt he ain't.

and Bush's reaction to the clip that Colbert made

Well, he certainly tried his best to look amused... Failed, but tried.

Quote[/b] ]Well, he certainly tried his best to look amused... Failed, but tried.

I don't think he really did try. I saw him laugh maybe twice, which is more than I laughed having watched the original.

Come on people, you got to admit it wasn't funny. The only reason people are clamoring to the Colbert thing is because he bashed bush to his face. It could have been Carrot Top or Paulie Shore and every one would be calling them "gods" for what was in all actuallity a pretty boring roast with maybe one or two funny moments tops.

Am I the only one who nearly fell asleep watching the Colbert roast?

Quote[/b] ]Well, he certainly tried his best to look amused... Failed, but tried.

I don't think he really did try. I saw him laugh maybe twice, which is more than I laughed having watched the original.

Come on people, you got to admit it wasn't funny. The only reason people are clamoring to the Colbert thing is because he bashed bush to his face. It could have been Carrot Top or Paulie Shore and every one would be calling them "gods" for what was in all actuallity a pretty boring roast with maybe one or two funny moments tops.

Am I the only one who nearly fell asleep watching the Colbert roast?

You are not alone thinking that majority of Colbert's jokes were not funny. I like looking at the Colbert Report, especially when he interviews a congressional representative, but his joke selections for the dinner were awful. President Bush mocking himself was funnier than Colbert's jokes.

Hi all

The resignation of Bush appointed CIA Chief Porter Goss appears to have been for more serious matter than first thought.

Quote[/b] ]CIA boss Goss is cooked

Tied to contractor's poker parties -

hints of bribes & women

BY RICHARD SISK and JAMES GORDON MEEK

DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - CIA Director Porter Goss abruptly resigned yesterday amid allegations that he and a top aide may have attended Watergate poker parties where bribes and prostitutes were provided to a corrupt congressman.

Kyle (Dusty) Foggo, the No. 3 official at the CIA, could soon be indicted in a widening FBI investigation of the parties thrown by defense contractor Brent Wilkes, named as an unindicted co-conspirator in the bribery conviction of former Rep. Randall (Duke) Cunningham, law enforcement sources said.

A CIA spokeswoman said Foggo went to the lavish weekly hospitality-suite parties at the Watergate and Westin Grand hotels but "just for poker."

Intelligence and law enforcement sources said solid evidence had yet to emerge that Goss also went to the parties, but Goss and Foggo share a fondness for poker and expensive cigars, and the FBI investigation was continuing.

Larry Johnson, a former CIA operative and a Bush administration critic, said Goss "had a relationship with Dusty and with Brent Wilkes that's now coming under greater scrutiny."

Johnson vouched for the integrity of Foggo and Goss but said, "Dusty was a big poker player, and it's my understanding that Porter Goss was also there \[at Wilkes' parties\] for poker. It's going to be guilt by association."

"It's all about the Duke Cunningham scandal," a senior law enforcement official told the Daily News in reference to Goss' resignation. Duke, a California Republican, was sentenced to more than eight years in prison after pleading guilty in November to taking $2.4 million in homes, yachts and other bribes in exchange for steering government contracts.

Goss' inability to handle the allegations swirling around Foggo prompted John Negroponte, the director of National Intelligence, who oversees all of the nation's spy agencies, to press for the CIA chief's ouster, the senior official said. The official said Goss is not an FBI target but "there is an impending indictment" of Foggo for steering defense contracts to his poker buddies...

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/415304p-350961c.html Follow link for full story

It all leads on the conclusion that this is yet another nail in the coffin. Most everyone now is asking:

"With such an incompetent and untrustworthy NeoConMen entryist group controlling the US republican party how can any one feel safe to vote republican?"

Regards Walker

Quote[/b] ]NYT Leaps to Zarqawi's Defense

The New York Times leaps to defend the dignity and praise the terrorist abilities of Al Qaeda head-chopper Abu Musab al-Zarqawi: Not All See Video Mockery of Zarqawi as Good Strategy.

An effort by the American military to discredit the terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi by showing video outtakes of him fumbling with a machine gun — suggesting that he lacks real fighting skill — was questioned yesterday by retired and active American military officers.

The video clips, released on Thursday to news organizations in Baghdad, show the terrorist leader confused about how to handle an M-249 squad automatic weapon, known as an S.A.W., which is part of the American inventory of infantry weapons.

The American military, which said it captured the videotapes in a recent raid, released selected outtakes in an effort to undermine Mr. Zarqawi’s image as leader of the Council of Holy Warriors, formerly Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, and suggested that his fighting talents and experience were less than his propaganda portrays. But several veterans of wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, as well as active-duty officers, said in telephone interviews yesterday that the clips of Mr. Zarqawi’s supposed martial incompetence were unconvincing.

The weapon in question is complicated to master, and American soldiers and marines undergo many days of training to achieve the most basic competence with it. Moreover, the weapon in Mr. Zarqawi’s hands was an older variant, which makes its malfunctioning unsurprising. The veterans said Mr. Zarqawi, who had spent his years as a terrorist surrounded by simpler weapons of Soviet design, could hardly have been expected to know how to handle it.

Hence, we can conclude that liberals and their supporters wallow in dhimmitude.

Quote[/b] ]NYT Leaps to Zarqawi's Defense

The New York Times leaps to defend the dignity and praise the terrorist abilities of Al Qaeda head-chopper Abu Musab al-Zarqawi: Not All See Video Mockery of Zarqawi as Good Strategy.

An effort by the American military to discredit the terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi by showing video outtakes of him fumbling with a machine gun — suggesting that he lacks real fighting skill — was questioned yesterday by retired and active American military officers.

The video clips, released on Thursday to news organizations in Baghdad, show the terrorist leader confused about how to handle an M-249 squad automatic weapon, known as an S.A.W., which is part of the American inventory of infantry weapons.

The American military, which said it captured the videotapes in a recent raid, released selected outtakes in an effort to undermine Mr. Zarqawi’s image as leader of the Council of Holy Warriors, formerly Al Qaeda in Mesopotamia, and suggested that his fighting talents and experience were less than his propaganda portrays. But several veterans of wars in Iraq or Afghanistan, as well as active-duty officers, said in telephone interviews yesterday that the clips of Mr. Zarqawi’s supposed martial incompetence were unconvincing.

The weapon in question is complicated to master, and American soldiers and marines undergo many days of training to achieve the most basic competence with it. Moreover, the weapon in Mr. Zarqawi’s hands was an older variant, which makes its malfunctioning unsurprising. The veterans said Mr. Zarqawi, who had spent his years as a terrorist surrounded by simpler weapons of Soviet design, could hardly have been expected to know how to handle it.

Hence, we can conclude that liberals and their supporters wallow in dhimmitude.

I am sure that you are outraged at this atrocity but does it really take that much effort to actually link your sources?

As far as I am concerned releasing videos showing Zargawi incompetent is'nt excatly reassuring considering how long Rummy & Co. have been hyping and chasing this guy.

youtube.com have chosen to cencor it.

C-SPAN asked them to remove the clip due copyright violations, which is quite unusual of them.

I tried to google nemesis6's article but came up with nothing.

also, as a precaution, I'd like to remind nemesis6 that if he goes on with liberal media bias discussion, he will be dealt with, as well as others who flamebait him knowingly.

also, as a precaution, I'd like to remind nemesis6 that if he goes on with liberal media bias discussion, he will be dealt with, as well as others who flamebait him knowingly.

Your google-fu is weak because I just copy-and-paste the first sentence in to Yahoo! search parameters and it lead me to LGF. LGF then lead me to http://www.nytimes.com/2006....=slogin. It is not surprising that you could not find a link because you are RalphWiggum ( icon_rolleyes.gif ).

It all leads on the conclusion that this is yet another nail in the coffin. Most everyone now is asking:

"With such an incompetent and untrustworthy NeoConMen entryist group controlling the US republican party how can any one feel safe to vote republican?"

Porter Goss is not a Harriet Miers because, unlike her, he had experience working in the CIA. Anyway, the NeoCons do not have control over the Republican Party because, for example, look what happened in the House after DeLay stepped down. The House Republicans basically revolted against the TBA during the whole immigration reform fisaco. First, it was the Christian Right that took over the Republican Party and now it is the Neocons. Which one has control... crazy_o.gif

@RW: J/K

Edit: I was trying to be nice.... mad_o.gifwelcome.gif

LGF? How come I am not surprised.. yay.gif

Your google-fu is weak because I just copy-and-paste the first sentence in to Yahoo! search parameters and it lead me to LGF. LGF then lead me to http://www.nytimes.com/2006....=slogin. It is not surprising that you could not find a link because you are RalphWiggum ( icon_rolleyes.gif ).

@RW: J/K

Yes, and that should tell you something. It's an opinion piece of a right wing biased person. The NYT article you linked says

Quote[/b] ]Not All See Video Mockery of Zarqawi as Good Strategy

And gives its reasons. It is true that we can make fun of his lack of firearm skills, but at the same time it's been a long time since he started going on with his action which the current force could not do much about.

as I said in previous post, let's stick on to the topic, shall we?

Yeah... I should probably use Daily "Screw Them" Kos for news... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]Iran 'Playing Games' in Dispute Over Nukes

The United States rejects Iran's offer to allow a watchdog agency to inspect the country's nuclear facilities and will press ahead for U.N. penalties against Tehran, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Sunday.

"They've had plenty of time to cooperate. I think they're playing games," Rice said.

Iran on Saturday offered to allow inspections to resume if the Security Council turned over the dispute to the U.N. nuclear monitor, the International Atomic Energy Agency.

A report from the IAEA confirmed that Iran had successfully produced enriched uranium and defied the Security Council's Friday deadline to stop the process.

Rice said the offer to resume IAEA inspections suggests the Iranians "are indeed somewhat concerned" about actions the Security Council might take to further isolate Iran.

Yeah... I should probably use Daily "Screw Them" Kos for news... icon_rolleyes.gif

Umm? What?

What the hell this got to do the fact that you do not link the articles you talk about therefore forcing us to read the LGF'd version as opposed to reality?

Hi all

The NeoConMen have spent much of their time courting the religious right to use it as a power base and inevitably many of those religious people are asking themselves some deep and searching questions such as:

Was I complicit in allowing my nation to go needlessly to war?

Should I have done more to check the facts?

Should I have broadened my outlook and exposed myself more readily to the evidence of those who my administration pooh poohed?

Should I have been more questioning and less taken up by demagoguery?

Should I have been more skeptical of politicians who have a record of being untrustworthy?

What have I done to atone for and put right the wrongs done in my name?

With Christianity being such a part of the NeoConMen's political agenda, one comes to the question:

"Have the NeoConMen asked gods forgiveness for the tens of thousands of people, both Iraqi and Coalition, killed and maimed in the needless Iraq war?"

And as a voter in a democracy saddled with the weighty duty of deciding who will get my vote one must consider the following question:

"With the untrustworthy NeoConMan entryist group in control of the US Republican party, how can any one feel safe to vote republican?"

Kind Regards Walker

Umm? What?

What the hell this got to do the fact that you do not link the articles you talk about therefore forcing us to read the LGF'd version as opposed to reality?

I think it's better to post the contents of it here instead of linking to it. By the way - Why am I not allowed to use LGF as a news source? I see radical leftist sites like Counterpunch and Daily Kos being used, so there should no problem there.

Umm? What?

I think it's better to post the contents of it here instead of linking to it.

No it is not. You are taking stuff out of context, potentially violating copyrights and not allowing to us to see what your rants refer to.

Quote[/b] ]

By the way - Why am I not allowed to use LGF as a news source? I see radical leftist sites like Counterpunch and Daily Kos being used, so there should no problem there.

You certainly got an odd idea of "radical left".. yay.gif

And as a voter in a democracy...

Sorry to get semantic, but AFAIK you live in a republic not 'a democracy'!

Reminded me of a quote from George Orwell-

Quote[/b] ]It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
I think it's better to post the contents of it here instead of linking to it. By the way - Why am I not allowed to use LGF as a news source?...

Knowing the source and context of any article is vital to understanding (even believing!) it, therefore, IMO linking is essential. I don't mind you using any media outlet, if you state the source and link to the article.

Hi all

A comment to nindall:

First of all geographically the place I live in is known variously as the border of the Mercian and Viking Empires, The West Riding of Yorkshire, The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire, The White Rose County, Home of the last true king of England (Richard Plantagenet) Home of the true king of England (who happens to live in Australia), England, Britain, Great Britain, The United Kingdom, The Commonwealth, Europe, The West, The World. I am a citizen/resident of each as to my own conviction, whenever I want to be. As far as passports go I have one that says I am a a UK citizen I used to have one that said I was a subject of her Britannic Majesty; which was a pretty passport and I quite liked for its' looks.

Second I dispute all the the above as I am a practical anarchist. Nations are an artificial construct.That said within the power structures created and generally put up with by the people where I live who in the main they agree to call themselves British; so for ease of use you will not annoy me too much by calling me British except every other wednesday untl further notice.

Third the only true political description is anarchy; democracy as with any other political label is just another artificial construct.  We as people use them as shorthand to describe a set variations on anarchy that we agree to work by for the moment as treaty between our different perspectives on the world we live in.

We use these artificial constructs when we cannot be bothered to debate or argue about something because the differences between us are so small we are willing to put up with them.

So if you want to be pedantic about the use of the word democracy and whether or not the USA is a democracy we have a heck of a lot of work ahead of us.

By the way it is nice to see George being quoted on the forums.

Kind Regards Walker