Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

USA Politics Thread - *No gun debate*

First of all, Romney is trashing everyone else in the primaries.

Yup, i still wonder why people think that Paul is going to win.

Second of all, the economy has been slowly reviving in the last year under Obama's administration.

I wonder how long that will last + we don't know what effect on short term the greece and other EU members monetairy problems will have on the USA.

Third of all, even if Ron Paul were to get elected, he'd be a president fighting with a Congress that doesn't agree with any of his ideas for 4 years, getting absolutely nothing done. He'd be ineffective.

I also don't think he could get anything done, but members of Congress still need to be elected, you still need to follow your voters to some degree.

And Ron Paul would still make a better president than other candidates, I don't know (exactly) how it works in the USA, but congress may have it's vote, isn't the president (and his ministers) the one who executes laws? And doesn't he have a veto?

It will be hard, but not to an extent that would make Ron Paul a president that can't change a thing.

Well, we've been adding jobs in America since 2010. It is now 2012 and unemployment is going steadily down, if slowly. But it has been a consistent improvement.

The president executes laws, and has a massive amount of influence in legislation and policy (especially foreign policy) but he alone cannot change the entire policies of the United States. That would be called a dictatorship.

Even when President Obama had a supermajority of his party in Congress he could barely get his massive health care plan in in a serviceable form. Ron Paul wouldn't be able to get many of his drastic changes done at all.

Well, we've been adding jobs in America since 2010. It is now 2012 and unemployment is going steadily down, if slowly. But it has been a consistent improvement.

The president executes laws, and has a massive amount of influence in legislation and policy (especially foreign policy) but he alone cannot change the entire policies of the United States. That would be called a dictatorship.

Even when President Obama had a supermajority of his party in Congress he could barely get his massive health care plan in in a serviceable form. Ron Paul wouldn't be able to get many of his drastic changes done at all.

Found a nice article which contradicts a bit the unemployment rate which is steadily going down.

Here's the link:

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=29090

Paul would actually be able to do the following, just through his presidential powers:

-End war on drugs

-Cut $1T from budget

-Pull troops from overseas

-Stop enforcing USAPATRIOT

-Stop enforcing anti-marijuana statutes

And it's not likely at all that he will be able to turn things around and win the nomination, but if Ron Paul e can get enough delegates he will be able to deny Romney the automatic nomination and wield considerable power at the GOP National Convention in September, as his support will suddenly be very valuable.

It's about advancing the libertarian/Austrian economics movement in general, not just getting Ron Paul into the White House.

Edited by RangerPL

^^^ None of that will happen until the Republican party effectively dissolves, and all of these annoying right-wing Christians stop voting.

Yeah, they should all be just like you. :j:

:confused:

(Reuters) - Anti-government extremists opposed to taxes and regulations pose a growing threat to local law enforcement officers in the United States, the FBI warned on Monday.

These extremists, sometimes known as "sovereign citizens," believe they can live outside any type of government authority, FBI agents said at a news conference.

The extremists may refuse to pay taxes, defy government environmental regulations and believe the United States went bankrupt by going off the gold standard.

Routine encounters with police can turn violent "at the drop of a hat," said Stuart McArthur, deputy assistant director in the FBI's counterterrorism division.

"We thought it was important to increase the visibility of the threat with state and local law enforcement," he said.

In May 2010, two West Memphis, Arkansas, police officers were shot and killed in an argument that developed after they pulled over a "sovereign citizen" in traffic.

Last year, an extremist in Texas opened fire on a police officer during a traffic stop. The officer was not hit.

Legal convictions of such extremists, mostly for white-collar crimes such as fraud, have increased from 10 in 2009 to 18 each in 2010 and 2011, FBI agents said.

"We are being inundated right now with requests for training from state and local law enforcement on sovereign-related matters," said Casey Carty, an FBI supervisory special agent.

FBI agents said they do not have a tally of people who consider themselves "sovereign citizens."

J.J. MacNab, a former tax and insurance expert who is an analyst covering the sovereign movement, has estimated that it has about 100,000 members.

Sovereign members often express particular outrage at tax collection, putting Internal Revenue Service employees at risk.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/07/us-usa-fbi-extremists-idUSTRE81600V20120207

There was a report in our news that caught my eye:

Obama - "I deserve a 2nd Term in office"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16913174

Not that I care either way but what an odd thing to say? Usually it's the voters who decide who is the most deserving. I would find it hard to vote for someone who tells me he is the most deserving.

I agree, though I find it hard to vote for someone so unfit of that position in the first place.

@Dekster: Shooting at Law Enforcement over traffic stops? Thats a pretty strong sense of entitlement those "Sovereign citizens" possess. Sounds more like treasonous, low life thugs to me....

Hi all

In reply to PELHAM.

It is actually a very canny marketing trick, in fact nothing short of brilliant. Now it all becomes about whether President Obama saved the US economy from the Republican parties economic and military mistakes.

Kind regards walker

^Oh boy, this shit again.

froggy, they are morons, but after thinking about it, it sounds hardly more treasonous than the government itself. Still no reason to do it though.

@Dekster: Shooting at Law Enforcement over traffic stops? Thats a pretty strong sense of entitlement those "Sovereign citizens" possess. Sounds more like treasonous, low life thugs to me....

I thought it was obvious how stupid and far fetched insulting libertarians that press conference was when I posted it here. :p

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

And on the other news:

Nevada vote fraud official

I thought it was obvious how stupid and far fetched insulting libertarians that press conference was when I posted it here. :p

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ---------

Sorry but I haven't the foggiest idea what your saying here

---------- Post added at 20:23 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

froggy, they are morons, but after thinking about it, it sounds hardly more treasonous than the government itself. Still no reason to do it though.

But it is tho. I'm not a fan of any group Liberal/Conservative/Libertarian that thinks they are above the law and have the right to start blasting people because the country isn't exactly how they want it to be. Those cops aren't responsible for IRS taxing and had families just doing their job. I'm most critical of Conservatives/Anti Governement types that fall in under this vein because at the present moment -I see them posturing or worse, actually acting out violently when the country isn't going the way they perceive as was intended. If whale watcher and transgendered rights folks acted out the same -I'd be just as critical.

Sorry but I haven't the foggiest idea what your saying here

There were 2 incidents with policemen who were shot at and suddenly people who don't think a large government is a good idea and believe that the financial crisis has it's origins in the US leaving the gold-standard are dangerous.

They're trying to make a public enemy out of libertarian/liberal/conservatives.

Well yeah, if you keep 7+ days of food, guns, or ammo, you can be suspected as a terrorist now.

You guys are either really eager to nitpick, or really stupid.

:popcornsmilie: hmmmm..........

7+ days of food? Or is it combined with guns and ammo. I have 14+ days of food, should I turn myself in?

Those are all separate items. Yes, just 7+ days of food is enough to be suspected. It's not like you are going to get arrested, but technically that is enough for you to be suspected now. Stupid isn't it?

Edited by GRS