Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

USA Politics Thread - *No gun debate*

I know this is sort of out of the blue but would you guys help me with a map that I've started? Its showing relations to the US, and as you can see I only have the Iraqi coalition marked. I'm using this map as a referance for personal use to help me understand whats going on. well... here it is:

worldusr2cq.th.png

It's not quite done yet though tounge2.gif

I'd really like to have strong evidence to back up the rating of the relations plz.

Thx in advance

- Blue shooting true, out.

Well, as much as people in the countries in blue would hate to admit it...

<span style='color:blue'>Canada = Strong</span>

<span style='color:red'>North Korea = Failing/Bad</span>

<span style='color:blue'>New Zealand = Strong/Good</span>

<span style='color:green'>Mexico = Fair</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Greenland = Strong/Good</span>

<span style='color:red'>Iran and Syria = Bad/Opponent</span>

<span style='color:orchid'>China = Failing/Fair</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Most NATO nations = Good/Strong</span>

<span style='color:green'>South Africa = Fair

Russia = Fair</span>

Most of these are just estimates based on today's world events, but most are based on hard facts.

Hope it helps, and you'll probably have lots of red to color in!  tounge2.gif

@ Ralph Wiggum

Roge-o, Chief! Won't let it happen again.  smile_o.gif

It depends on whenever we talking about military alliances or general "mood." For example, I would not definetely rate Spain as strong right now. But I suppose you are talking about the goverment's approach to US relations since you ranked Iraq strong. wink_o.gif

And of course there are countries that dont even have any goverments to begin with..

I suppose Cuba, Myanmar and North Korea would have the worst rating with Iran, Syria, Belorussia, Libya, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Venezuela and Uzbekistan (now that they are shutting down US bases) following behind.

Your map, though a good concept, should not be used to reflect the attitude of the people of those nations towards America and its policies, nor be used as validation that the people of those nations support America over it's military operations over the last few years.

While yes, my fellow countrymen acknowledge that Australia's relations with the US are very good, probably among the best, in fact....the mood of the people is that we look forward to the day that Bush and his neo-cons are kicked out of the White House, because the whole Iraq issue has thus far, been a counter-productive lie, and Afghanistan has seemingly been left out in the cold. Both of which have left a sour taste in the eyes of Australians.

This map is for Diplomatic ties, how well the US can communicate with other countries. I'm also doing a military alliance map, and a popularity map, but onething at a time  tounge2.gif

EDIT: here's the updated version with a few changes to exsisting ratings.

worldusr0qa.th.png

I would put:

<span style='color:blue'>India -</span><span style='color:green'>Fair</span><span style='color:blue'>/good

Saudi Arabia - Good/strong

Taiwan - Strong</span>

<span style='color:red'>North Korea - Bad</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Israel - Good/strong</span>

Pakistan is a tricky one though.

Public opinion would be failing, IMO.

However, government-wise, it would be fair/good

China too, is iffy. I would leave it as unknown.

This map is for Diplomatic ties, how well the US can communicate with other countries. I'm also doing a military alliance map, and a popularity map, but onething at a time tounge2.gif

Then I suppose you would have to rate Sweden/Norway/Finland good.

By the way, you forgot to colourize the kaliningrad oblast. It's located between Poland and Lithuania.

It's pretty good, but a minor criticism; it's very hard to tell the difference between "good" and "strong." Perhaps strong should be a slightly different colour, because the shades are too similar.

I'd give Vietnam a fair atleast since we're starting to make some breakthroughs in our relations with them since the war.

As the hurricane thread is closed and this is political..

Rice: All Foreign Aid Offers Will Be Accepted [FOX News]

Quote[/b] ]

WASHINGTON — In a dramatic turnabout, the United States is now on the receiving end of help from around the world as some two dozen countries offer post-hurricane assistance.

Venezuela, a target of frequent criticism by the Bush administration, offered humanitarian aid and fuel. Venezuela's Citgo Petroleum Corp. (search) pledged a $1 million donation for hurricane aid.

With offers from the four corners of the globe pouring in, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (search) has decided "no offer that can help alleviate the suffering of the people in the afflicted area will be refused," State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

However, in Moscow, a Russian official said the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency had rejected a Russian offer to dispatch rescue teams and other aid. On Tuesday, President Vladimir Putin (search) sent condolences to President Bush and said Russia was prepared to help if asked.

Boats, aircraft, tents, blankets, generators, cash assistance and medical teams have been offered to the U.S. government in Washington or in embassies overseas.

Offers have been received from Russia, Japan, Canada, France, Honduras, Germany, Venezuela, Jamaica, Australia, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Hungary, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Mexico, China, South Korea, Israel, the United Arab Emirates, NATO and the Organization of American States, the spokesman said.

Still, Bush told ABC-TV: "I'm not expecting much from foreign nations because we hadn't asked for it. I do expect a lot of sympathy and perhaps some will send cash dollars. But this country's going to rise up and take care of it."

"You know," he said, "we would love help, but we're going to take care of our own business as well, and there's no doubt in my mind we'll succeed. And there's no doubt in my mind, as I sit here talking to you, that New Orleans is going to rise up again as a great city."

Historically, the United States provides assistance to other countries experiencing earthquakes, floods and other disasters.

Germany, which was rebuilt after World War II largely by the U.S. Marshall Plan, offered its help in a telephone call to Rice.

"The German Government is prepared to do all that is humanly possible," the German embassy said. In his call, German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer assured Rice of Germany's solidarity with its American friends in a difficult time, the embassy said.

Israeli Ambassador Daniel Ayalon called Wednesday at the State Department to offer condolences and assistance. Israel is the largest recipient of U.S. aid, about $2.2 billion a year.

I suppose that should answer the questions asked about foreign aid.

though its all nice to know if were in trouble we'll recieve help, but does this situation really require asking help for from the international community? Floridia got hit by several hurricanes last year after all.

As it looks now, this is far worse than anything that has ever hit Florida. New Orleans and surroundings have been more or less obliterated. You suddenly have a million refugees. Most likely thousands of dead.

Could you handle it on your own? Probably, but it would cost you dearly, and given the amount of money you're spending already in Iraq, this could hurt your economy for a long time.

If you heard Bush's two speeches (incredibly bad btw IMO), he made repeated appeals to the people in the US to send money. So, if other countries want to help, what's the problem?

This whole "New Orleans and sorrounding area" thing is just embarassing for the USA. They call themselve a "civilized" country or a "superpower" and that they have to rule and dominate the whole world and then things like this happen. Just embarassing, but it shows again, how unable and incompetent the US really are and that this country is a bigger danger than help for the world... goodnight.gif (At least with the current form of government and the current puplic opinion)

What exactly is it that is embarassing? That they got hit by a hurricane? confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]This whole "New Orleans and sorrounding area" thing is just embarassing for the USA. They call themselve a "civilized" country or a "superpower" and that they have to rule and dominate the whole world and then things like this happen. Just embarassing, but it shows again, how unable and incompetent the US really are and that this country is a bigger danger than help for the world...

Yes, right, a portion of the US the size of Great Britian has been destroyed, New Orleans is 80% flooded and cut off from the outside as a result, inner city assholes are looting what's left of New Orleans and taking pot shots at NG helicopters. To top it off, it's only been a few days since the dams broke and they are not yet plugged. You're absolutely right, we should be handling this in a much better way icon_rolleyes.gif

-Student Pilot

Well, I don't meen the hurrican of course, than I wouldn't have put this into the politics thread. I mean the situation. Thousands of people are still in the area, gangs are killing people, trying to rape weman, rescue-choppers are being fired at and so on!

And the administrators of New Orleans say that there isn't ANY help comming from Washignton.

That is emberassing

Post Deleted

I realized I was going off-topic again. There is a board better suited for this discussion, I will go over there if I feel like posting about the hurricane.

Wow, I'm off-topic on an off-topic board, this is getting pathetic icon_rolleyes.gif

-Student Pilot

Just got back from watching my DVD and this happens....

Now TBA has not one but two Supreme court justices to fill in. I wonder how they are going to handle this. This certainly is a great chance for 2 right-leaning centrist justices to be sent in.

Of course if Ann Coulter had her way, remaining justices would be replaced with extreme rightwingers. whistle.gif

Scalia is too controversial to be Chief justice, but given the way CONs handle things, he does have a decent shot. He thinks his actions are justified and complains about judicial activism(while he does the same thing)

So I guess god DOES actually listen to Robertson's hit-list. crazy_o.gif