Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

USA Politics Thread - *No gun debate*

Quote[/b] ]dude... i'm not paraniod. I hate the French because I just do, I'm an American. Thats how it is.

I will be surprised if there is no Ran run-in by what you just post.. unclesam.gif

Quote[/b] ]whats up with the judge going out to luch right now? is the jury close to ending this yet?

People got to eat.

Please dont talk about Mr jackson in here ;)

Hate the French if you like. Nothing says you have to like other nations. However, please agree that your hatred is based on irrational dislike predicated on propoganda and manipulation, rather than actual fact.

I don't know if it is universal, but I find the average North Americans (I include Canadians in here) is seriously lacking in critical thinking skills; instead he/she relegates judgement based on facts and reason to the trash heap, and instead lets his/her favourite news station and jingoistic political party do the thinking. I find the average Frenchman that I've met to be arrogant and annoying, but I dont hate them. And face it, they had the balls to stand up and tell the US that their march to war on Iraq was wrong, and based on faulty intel and assumptions. And they were right.

To the people in this community who dislike France that much, I hear that FoxNews is hiring... biggrin_o.gif

Hey Warin, love the latin quotes. The only good thing about being a latin scholar at College is being able to read that stuff straight off smile_o.gif .

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes? I do!!

Quote[/b] ] I hate the French because I just do, I'm an American. Thats how it is.

Us British and Americans should stick together, tounge_o.gif

There is one serious problem for his case though. I'm terrible at predicting verdicts, elections, the stock market etc biggrin_o.gif

Which is why we should keep our EU rebate wink_o.gif lol biggrin_o.gif

There's no reason we Brits should hate the French, they hate the E.U. as much as we do. It's their stupid, greedy, centralised government we should hate.

We Britons should stick together!

And it appears Jacko has gotten off scott-free...

There's no reason we Brits should hate the French, they hate the E.U. as much as we do.  It's their stupid, greedy, centralised government we should hate.

We Britons should stick together!

And it appears Jacko has gotten off scott-free...

I know we British should stick together, but then you have the SNP, Plaid Cymru and all the other anti-pratiots.

SNP, Plaid Cymru, Labour...they're all a waste in my opinion. Can you imagine the "Democratic Republic of Wales" or the "Dominion of Scotland"; these people are living in a dream world. What's Dale Barracks like? Relatively comfortable?

SNP, Plaid Cymru, Labour...they're all a waste in my opinion.  Can you imagine the "Democratic Republic of Wales" or the "Dominion of Scotland"; these people are living in a dream world.  What's Dale Barracks like?  Relatively comfortable?

Init mate, they wouldn't be able to compete with Englands might in the market.

I'm not in the Army yet mate. But should be going in sometime in the future.

I'll update my sig when i join to something like;

Pte Bordoy (job info maybe)

etc etc

Yes, well, Juries get it wrong sometimes.

He's nowhere near the finish line yet though-the possibility of a civil lawsuit against him which could clear him out just like O.J. was back in the day.

Plus he's got so much debt to pay off; his portfolio was mortgaged, as was his ranch-he's gonna have to sell alot of old records to make his money back.

Oops, didn't know Bordoy-keep us posted if you do get in though. If I had my way my sig would read "Lt., S.I.B. Division, R.M.P. tounge_o.gif .

Btw, Sophion-Black, in your Signature the word is "Sabotage"-just so you know...

That's pretty sad. You all got some serious blood lust. Yes Jacko is wacko and the judge should have put a restraining order on him to bar children from visiting him (accept his own) for his own good. However, who the hell are you all to 2nd guess a jury? Were you there in the courtroom and jury room all that time sifting through all the evidence that was never made public in great detail? Did any of you know the outcome of any of the DNA testing on forensic evidence?

This wasn't some game of football. It was a man's life and sadly the lives of some children that got dragged through all of this. If anything the parents should be prosecuted for letting their children go to sleepovers with Jackson but of coarse they can't when the jury found Jackson innocent.

Sure the Jury could have been wrong, but when the American legal system works correctly, the outcome is decided by the evidence not by popular opinion. So if the jury was wrong, it may have just been the fault of the prosecutors for not gathering together enough evidence and not making a strong enough case. The jury didn't even find him guilty on the misdemeanor. So that should tell you something about the quality of the evidence.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

JACKSON NOT GUILTY!!!!

THOSE BASTARDS!!! I was hoping to see him go down  sad_o.gif

Surely France put the veto again  crazy_o.gif

What's nice with guys like Sophion-Black and his ideology, is that, when going around the world, even an arrogant French looks like a nice pal to the people of the rest of the world (excluding fat elites  suspect.gif )

Most support to TBA's Iraq policy comes from governments hoping to catch crumbs and to be in love with the big brute of the schoolyard, not from the people of those countries. Even Great Britain.

However, while half of the US people, in power, has the wisdom the gun blessed by the cross, as well as the cross blessed by the gun...  rock.gif , the other half has the wisdom of heart and intelligence  wink_o.gif

During D-Day, there were also Polish, and French, in the Resistance in order to prepare the ground (who gave so many data about German disposal ? Satellites, Echelon ?), as well as Commando Kieffer at Ouistreham tounge_o.gif

Hmm, what I said before was "Juries sometimes get it wrong."  I hadn't really followed the trial due to the fact I was surprised it even got to trial!  It was obviously a trial crafted by Prosecutor Tom Sneddon to bring Jackson down, and I'm quite glad that this is the result.  It's a sad result that Jackson's life will literally be in tatters now because of this.

Yes, people love to talk about seperation of church and state; now it's a question of seperating church from shotgun...

Quote[/b] ]Mexican-American War - Yes. Those Mexicans were a major power. The freakin' Texans beat them for crying out loud.
We got beat by the Viet-Cong and the NVA whats your point?

Quote[/b] ] I hate the French because I just do, I'm an American. Thats how it is.

Us British and Americans should stick together, tounge_o.gif

Stupidy in action........

Quote[/b] ]We got beat by the Viet-Cong and the NVA whats your point?

Unlike the Mexican-American War, the VC and NVA did not militarily defeat the US like the US defeated the Mexicans. It was more of a political/pr defeat. Last time I check, the Mexican-American War was not like that. suspect.gif  confused_o.gif

Anyway, Democrats and corruption, who would of thought.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps....EWS

Quote[/b] ]

colleagues

Associated Press

MEMPHIS — Supporters of three longtime Memphis politicians facing corruption charges could end up on their juries, legal experts say.

Former Democratic Sens. John Ford and Roscoe Dixon, and Sen. Kathryn Bowers, also a Democrat, are among seven individuals charged in an elaborate FBI sting called "Tennessee Waltz."

Both critics and supporters have said a home-court jury would benefit the three West Tennesseans.

"You can't inquire (in jury selection) as to how they vote because that would be an unconstitutional inquiry," former federal prosecutor Dan Clancy said. "You can't eliminate someone because they vote Democrat or Republican or because of their race or sex or religion. If somebody worked for their campaign? You could raise it, but it wouldn't necessarily get someone off."

However, the chances of all-Memphis juries deciding the lawmakers' cases is unlikely. In federal court here, juries are drawn from pools of registered voters not only from Shelby but also from four other counties in the Western Division of the federal court's Western District. They are Dyer, Fayette, Lauder-dale and Tipton.

In 1990, a jury of eight blacks and four whites re-sulted in a mistrial in the bank fraud trial of Ford's brother, former U.S. Rep. Harold Ford Sr., and three co-defendants.

Over Ford's protests, jurors in the second trial were chosen in Jackson, Tenn., from the 17 counties of the district's Eastern Division after U.S. District Judge Odell Horton noted the first jury's misconduct and the publicity surrounding the case.

The trial was held in Memphis.

Ford argued that selecting a jury from the Eastern Division significantly reduced the number of black people in the jury pool and deprived him of his right to be tried by a jury of his peers. But the 11 white jurors and one black ended up acquitting Ford and two others.

The late U.S. District Judge Jerry Turner, who presided over the second trial, said the verdict showed that "black people and white people can judge each other fairly, if they are just given a chance."

There has been no indication by prosecutors that they intend to seek such special procedures in the cases against John Ford, Bowers and Dixon.

"I'm quite sure that West Tennesseans (of the Western Division) are perfectly capable of being fair and impartial," said defense attorney William Mass-ey, who represents Bowers. "It doesn't matter if someone's heard about the case. The question is, can you set that aside and be fair."

John Ford pleaded not guilty last week to the federal bribery and extortion charges. Bowers and Barry Myers, described as a "bag man" in the indictments, also entered pleas of not guilty.

Also charged in the case are Sen. Ward Crutchfield, D-Chattanooga; Rep. Chris Newton, R-Cleveland; and Charles Love, a Chattanooga lobbyist who is also described as a "bag man."

Everybody knows that it's Republicans that get busted for corruption.

That stories been knocking around the newswire for weeks now. And let's remember how comparatively rare Southern Democrats are after the Civil Rights Act of 1964. They call themselves Democrats but due to their geographical location it's a bit of a misnomer.

Nah, corruption is equal opportunity. Both parties are full of corruption. Politics in general attracts those who lust for power, authority, and who enter into it for financial gain in order to influence areas of government effecting their area of business interests or the interests of their business associates (*cough*cheney*cough*).

As for Mexico, so what if we beat them. A war is not about whether you win militarily but about the end results.

Obviously we completely and utterly failed to learn the lessons of the Vietnam War and are currently repeating history again getting involved in a guerilla war in part of the world we knew little about other then the perception that its the land of terrorism and bad guys out to get us so we had to go in and get them first and kick some ass...end result...a bunch of civilians and Iraqi police and military getting slaughtered, 1,700+ soldiers dead, 12,000+ wounded, the world hating Americans more then ever, and Iraq not buch better off except now they got freedom....freedom to kill each other.

Vietnam was a little different, as we invaded to fighting communist expansion. They won...and life went on for Vietnam while we got humiliated just as is happening now in Iraq due to us once again succeeding in losing the morale upper hand and any sense of legitimacy in the eyes of the world by giving them a finger and insisting that we had to go in to find those WMD's and then changing our mind and calling it a fight to for freedom and democracy (never mind the dozens of dictatorships all over the non-oil producing world that we could have toppled much more easily).

But we're stubborn and just like Vietnam we will just keep "winning militarily" without winning politicaly. In the end its just a big stupid waste of lives.

Also according to a recent poll, support is plummeting rapidly for the war:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050613/ap_on_re_us/iraq_opinion

Quote[/b] ]

WASHINGTON - Six in 10 Americans say they think the United States should withdraw some or all of its troops from Iraq — the highest number who have said that in the Gallup poll.

About three in 10 want the U.S. to withdraw all troops now, and about three in 10 said some troops should be withdrawn now. A majority, 56 percent, said they would be upset if more troops are sent to Iraq, according to the poll released Monday.

Support for staying in Iraq has also dropped in a Pew Research Center poll. People were about evenly split on whether the U.S. should keep troops in Iraq until the country is stabilized or bring them home as soon as possible.

Two-thirds in an ABC-Washington Post poll, also taken in early June, say they think the United States has gotten bogged down in the war in Iraq.

The Gallup poll of 1,003 adults was taken June 6-8, the ABC-Post poll of 1,002 adults June 2-5, and the Pew poll of 1,464 adults June 8-12. Each poll had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]We got beat by the Viet-Cong and the NVA whats your point?
Quote[/b] ]Unlike the Mexican-American War, the VC and NVA did not militarily defeat the US like the US defeated the Mexicans. It was more of a political/pr defeat. Last time I check, the Mexican-American War was not like that.

First off, SFWanabe, make sure you are arguing the right point before you start in on a line of posts similiar to the War On Terror Thread.

Second, the Vietnam war was not fought with Napoleanic style strategy and tactics like the Mexican-American War was. Some of the retreating Mexican units set up guerilla style units to harrass the Americans but they had no true impact on the outcome. So the comparison doesn't quite fit.

Third, my point is that if this is one of considered one of the glorious victories the US fought alone, then the original point that the US has only won against inferior opponents stands.

Quote[/b] ]Third, my point is that if this is one of considered one of the glorious victories the US fought alone, then the original point that the US has only won against inferior opponents stands.

United States-- 13,780 dead, many more wounded.

Mexico-- Much higher than the U.S. total. One figure put Mexican casualties at approximately 25,000.

I wouldn't say that was a cake walk down in Mexico. Stop denying that the Quasi-War did not happen. It was a naval war.. suspect.gif

Quote[/b] ]Obviously we completely and utterly failed to learn the lessons of the Vietnam War and are currently repeating history again getting involved in a guerilla war in part of the world we knew little about other then the perception that its the land of terrorism and bad guys out to get us so we had to go in and get them first and kic

Actually, the US learned the lessons of the Vietnam War more than you think. You notice they are trying to put the burden on Iraqi police and military also training them? Sounds like the "Vietnamization" of the Vietnam War that the US failed to do early on but did later.

Quote[/b] ]this response shows exactly what kind of denial GOP minds are. when Buchanan was flying high, GOP was considering him as a beacon of conservative causes. when he fell out of favor, they now say that he is not affiliated with GOP. but the truth is the ideas that Buchanan supported still exists in GOP, regardless of Buchanan's departure.

here's an analogy. Al Capone is no longer in prison. so does that make him a free citizen with all rights restored?

I'm GOP, now? Yeah, some of his ideas are still in GOP because there are conservative in nature.  Oh, Pat Buchanan is not a repbulican no more but a reformist (D'oh on my side).

i certainly don't see you criticize GOP as much as you criticize Dems. wink_o.gif

trying to erase past by saying he is now something else is obviously a very flaky attempt.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]from your article

Those were Army recruiters I believe.

most likely, but just the sheer amount of desperation should indicate that it will be a matter of time if the situation does not improve.

Quote[/b] ]Actually, the US learned the lessons of the Vietnam War more than you think. You notice they are trying to put the burden on Iraqi police and military also training them? Sounds like the "Vietnamization" of the Vietnam War that the US failed to do early on but did later.

but the lesson of Vietnam war is that you can't let those who can't defend themselves due to lack of own strength do all the work. notice that both the South Vietnamese people and Iraqi population did not give much damn about freedom and democracy. when someone is not able to take responsibility, they cannot defend themselves.

Quote[/b] ]United States-- 13,780 dead, many more wounded.

Mexico-- Much higher than the U.S. total. One figure put Mexican casualties at approximately 25,000.

I wouldn't say that was a cake walk down in Mexico.

I didn't say it was a cakewalk. I said the opponent was vastly inferior.

And you expect high death tolls when you march in a straight line and shoot at each other. rock.gif Ah the Napoleanic way...such a gentlemanly way.

Quote[/b] ]Stop denying that the Quasi-War did not happen. It was a naval war..

I never denied it happened rock.gif

I did however dismiss it.

Quote[/b] ]Ah the Napoleanic way...such a gentlemanly way.

Seeing that was the method of fighting infantry battles from the introduction of the musket to the end of the U.S. Civil War - the Battle of Gettysburg (Pickett's Charge) being perhaps the most spectacular line charge in history.