Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

USA Politics Thread - *No gun debate*

Bringing some LIFE BACK HERE!

Since my thread was locked, it must belong here:

Warning:Strong Language

A Fox news reporter gets mobbed by DNC Protesters.

Doesn't look particularly smart to walk (or stand) against a stream of protesters like that.

Makes me think the news reporter wanted trouble. Or he was just stupid. Or both.

Makes me think the news reporter wanted trouble. Or he was just stupid. Or both.

Nah, I've been to one of these protests. It was funny because my sister had a chance to meet George Bush so I went with her. I had to stay outside the building but got to see him drive by in his motorcade. On her way out, my sister was booed and called a bitch, and slut, and whatever - just for being there.

That's who these people are. They have no respect at even a basal level. Teen angst all grown up.

@Scubaman

Fox News is the premier right wing news organization of North America, and that reporter knew exactly what he was doing there. He wasn't there to conduct an interview or find out what the "message" was, he wanted to incite a riot at the DNC so the woman in the newsroom could make the DNC attendees out to look like a zoo.

It would be just as easy to do to the other side of the political spectrum, you get enough people together and throw something they all hate in there, and you're going to get the same response, so the fact that they were liberals is irrelevant. It's a nasty side effect of getting like-minded people together in large enough groups.

Fox News is a pretty horrible organization, this is just another example of their typical level of journalistic integrity.

Well, would you do what the reporter did?

I know I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't be surprised if the protesters would knock or push me down, out of their way.

The reporter saw a stream of protesters coming and he chose to stand in their way. I call that "not smart". It is either that or he wanted to get the reaction he got, as I see it.

I give him the benefit of the doubt and not call him stupid.

Also, to me there was no problem understanding what was protested. Why the reporter had problem understanding. I bet he didn't have the problem (see, I don't think he is that stupid), he was going for a certain reaction and that is what he got. Well done. His boss must be proud of him. Now they can make all kinds of headlines out of that.

I do understand what you are saying. Sometimes the protesters are as well ignorant, stupid people (collective stupidity?) who are not really there to protest, they are just there to have some fun (in a weird way to me). Probably they know almost nothing about what they are protesting. It happens in my country as well and I don't give those people much value for what they do. I mean those people who just like to get in trouble with the police, throw rocks at them or break a window or just insult random people while "protesting" for a "good cause". Makes pretty much no sense at all. Luckily this isn't common here in my country.

But in this case I can see that what the reporter did smells like he wanted the reaction he got. Yeah, the protesters were rude, but as I said I wouldn't go stand in their way and irritate them on purpose, like the reported did. To me he either was stupid or he wasn't and wanted the reaction he got.

Well that would be interesting to see.

South Carolina breaking out of the Union.

Could it be legally possible inside the United States? To non-violently separate a member state from the rest of the USA into an independent country. If like 90 % of the people in one state want it, could they do it legally? I'm no expert of the U.S. law so I really don't know.

I'm not seeing it happening though. Just thinking if it is possible within the current U.S. legislation.

According to Texas v. White, secession is illegal under the United States Constitution. I believe a part of a state can secede to another state through legal channels.

Those people who are pushing for "Southern independence" are usually neo-Confederates. Kind of funny that they are mocking the Patriot Act because their "mythical" CSA used a passport system for travel within the Confederate states. Civil liberties were basically a foreign concept in the CSA.

What about Hawaii? It was a nation before it became part of the US so it should be a special case, right?

Pretty much explains itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o84PE871BE

Priority 5:

"I will replace the need for fossil fuels with Care Bear love.  I will then release flying monkeys from my ass that will eat greenhouse gases and nukes, will poo money so everyone is equal, and will release a toxin so everyone sings "kumbia" in a harmonic wave that will bring everlasting peace to the galaxy...no really."

Sorry but the level of this discussion forced me to do it. tounge2.gif

Gosh

Those faux news reporters are such a bunch of wusses. biggrin_o.gif

Oh no they are cussing him boo hoo nener.gif

Among the freedoms of speech are the freedom to ignore idiot wus reporters and tell them to go .... themselves.

But if Faux news want to be all prissy about it they can do it but somone should warn them not to get their bustle in a twist.

As the great Studs Terkel said:

"Tom Paine was saying ... a commoner can tell the  royalty to bugger off ... the fact, is I can tell the president to bugger off - and that, by the way, that is being an American."

The same applies to journalists.

Kind Regards walker

Gosh

Those faux news reporters are such a bunch of wusses. biggrin_o.gif

Oh no they are cussing him boo hoo nener.gif

Among the freedoms of speech are the freedom to ignore idiot wus reporters and tell them to go .... themselves.

But if Faux news want to be all prissy about it they can do it but somone should warn them not to get their bustle in a twist.

As the great Studs Terkel said:

"Tom Paine was saying ... a commoner can tell the  royalty to bugger off ... the fact, is I can tell the president to bugger off - and that, by the way, that is being an American."

The same applies to journalists.

Kind Regards walker

So...sending a "Faux" reporter into a crowd of angst ridden, latte infused "protesters" is like soaking someone in blood and throwing them in a cage full of retarded lions...then being amazed as the animals awkwardly maul him?

Anyone seen the internal drama on MSNBC lately?  I know...nobody watches that channel, but when Tom Brokaw busts out that they are a bunch of butt lickers...comedy.

Shouting down reporters with a dissenting opinion...its like a bizzaro Hanity show with entertainment value.

Looks like "Faux" News now has their alter ego.

Election season will be fun if your a cutter... crazy_o.gif

Ooh Sc@tterbrain

it is so bad they cussed him real hard they made him cry  rofl.gif

What ever will they do next? Pull his pigtails?

They could you know!

I can see the faux news headlines now!

"Faux news reporter in DANGER! of having pigtails pulled."

Real reporters go to real battle fields. Faux hire locals because they are too afraid to go to Afghanistan or wonder the streets of Iraq.

No wonder Faux news are going bust.

Kind Regards walker

It's funny how brainwashed people are into hating fox news. I'm not a fan of their's as a matter of fact I find them to be amateurish and sensational and too focused on celebrity gossip. However by that respect they are no different than any other American news outlet.

Where I work there's this guy that if you even say the word fox he starts flipping out and going on about conspiracies and how fox is some how behind everything. I mean he really gets emotional about it, but it's so ridiculous it's funny. I mention fox news when ever we are in the break room at the same time just because the conniption fits he has about it are so hilarious. He once remarked to me how he wished he could kill every Australian on earth as punishment for Rupert Murdoch (great coming from a supposed peacenik and pacifist). I mean come on people, come off it, it's just another news network.

It's funny but at the same time so sad. How can so many people be that brainwashed. How any one in their right mind can go off on fox news and then in the same breath say NBC, BBC, CNN, or ABC are better is beyond me. They are all the same.

PS.. and sorry walker but he calls it "faux" news as well so I can't help but snicker a little after reading your post because It makes me think of him.

Fox News aside, I'm still shocked nobody has mentioned that McCain picked a VP: Sarah Palin

I prefer to keep my politics to myself on the internet, but I think its safe to say that this choice will make the race much more interesting.

Hi Sputnik Monroe

It is called faux news because they have an editorial policy of lying to their audience.

They actually fought a court case over it so they would have the right to lie to their audience.

Kind regards walker

Fox News aside, I'm still shocked nobody has mentioned that McCain picked a VP: Sarah Palin

I prefer to keep my politics to myself on the internet, but I think its safe to say that this choice will make the race much more interesting.

Hi all

You mean like her lesbian tendency?

Kind regards walker

Hi Sputnik Monroe

It is called faux news because they have an editorial policy of lying to their audience.

They actually fought a court case over it so they would have the right to lie to their audience.

Kind regards walker

I hope your limited knowledge of the French language doesn’t carry over into the formation of your political ideas.

Fox and faux sound nothing alike.

Please find me one example where Fox news deliberately lied to their audience. Try not to use anti-Fox propaganda websites to do it and don’t waste my time with "he-said, she-said" examples - where one individual says what Fox said is a lie. Give me factual examples where it has been documented with facts and references that Fox News deliberately lied.

Then do the same type of research into CNN or another network. What you will find (since you will always be using an anti-Fox or anti-CNN website), is that you will always find examples of alleged “lies†for any network.

Use your own brain. Don’t regurgitate the crap you hear from other sources.

Also, what case is this you're referring to where our legal system gave Fox the right to lie? Give me the reference, I’d like to look into this.

@Scubaman, I don't think Fox is outright lying to its audience, as much as taking generous liberties with how they present their truths. The video that started this discussion is a pretty good example, if I wanted to make a fool of protesters at the DNC, I would have thrown a fox news reporter and camera crew right into a parade path too. It seems pretty carefully calculated in order to present the story as they want it to be recieved, versus just presenting news objectively.

The difference is that I have never seen a group of rowdy conservatives doing the same to a CNN reporter.

People also have to keep in mind that its good to have a variety of opinions available as sources of news. Otherwise, its even easier to lie to your audience if you know everybody else will agree with you.

Personally, online I will only read CNN and BBC, Global Security, or FAS. If I listen to the radio for news, its just whatever station has the news on - for example, NPR or another local station. If I watch TV, I like to watch MSNBC Fox News.

I think I'm exposed to a pretty good variety of opinions. Nobody relies on just Fox or just CNN for all of their news.

I've seen groups of rowdy conservatives around me, so I'm not so sure they're as gentle-mannered as you're inferring. Also, I'm sure a CNN reporter would never take it upon themselves to deliberately antagonize a group like that.

Hi all

You mean like her lesbian tendency?

Kind regards walker

Um, I'm not sure what her "lesbian tendency" has to do with anything. Of course, this is the first I've heard of them, so if you are privy to some information the rest of us are not, by all means share. After all, she's married and has five children, which I'd consider unusual for a lesbian. rofl.gif

I've seen groups of rowdy conservatives around me, so I'm not so sure they're as gentle-mannered as you're inferring. Also, I'm sure a CNN reporter would never take it upon themselves to deliberately antagonize a group like that.

Right, well conveniently, we have no way of verifying your claim- since I have yet to see a group of protesting conservatives mob a CNN reporter.

And by conservatives, I hope you're not referring to extreme "conservative" groups like neo-nazi skin-heads or these reactionary militia nut-jobs.

We have to be reasonable and I have never seen a protesting group of conservatives riot and be arrested en mass like those "liberals" outside the Republican National Convention today.

Did you hear this taking place before the DNC?

There are extremes on both sides. The rioting at the convention had a much more damaging effect on the Democrats than the republicans themselves. These people needs to be controlled.

As for Murdochs News channel, with the founding CEO who had previously served as a media consultant for Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush, they do not lie. Lies aren't needed when you can twist truths into being the equaling of lies and fear mongering.

Not that other TV news media is much better, With the sorry state TV journalism is in today. Can you say ratings?

There are extremes on both sides...

... Can you say ratings?

Agreed.

Many things on network TV are sensationalized. This is not unique to any one news network.

Again, this is why getting news from multiple sources is always a good idea.

Hi Sputnik Monroe

Kind regards walker

I hope your limited knowledge of the French language doesn’t carry over into the formation of your political ideas.

Fox and faux sound nothing alike.

Please find me one example where Fox news deliberately lied to their audience. Try not to use anti-Fox propaganda websites to do it and don’t waste my time with "he-said, she-said" examples - where one individual says what Fox said is a lie. Give me factual examples where it has been documented with facts and references that Fox News deliberately lied.

Then do the same type of research into CNN or another network. What you will find (since you will always be using an anti-Fox or anti-CNN website), is that you will always find examples of alleged “lies†for any network.

Use your own brain. Don’t regurgitate the crap you hear from other sources.

Also, what case is this you're referring to where our legal system gave Fox the right to lie? Give me the reference, I’d like to look into this.

Hi scubaman3D

There are several forms of poetry, alliteration is used less often than Rhyme but I can point to many examples of alliterative verse; Beowolf springs to mind.

Fox

Faux Pronunciation: Fo

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/faux

is an alliterative rhyme. The silent "x" is perhaps a little nuanced for some. The key fact here is the faux means fake.

On the substantive point.

The case was heard in Florida.

Here is a copy of the court documents:

http://www.foxbghsuit.com/complaint.htm

Akre won the Jury trial but a year latter the case was appealed to a judge who reversed the jury's decision and awarded the case to Fox on the narrow technicality that since Florida had not at that time adopted the the FCC’s news distortion policy preventing News organisations from telling lies and because Fox had a policy to lie to their audience, and they have stated this now on no less than six occasions in court, they were not breaking any law.

http://www.2dca.org/opinion/February%2014,%202003/2D01-529.pdf

Fox then attempted to saddle the Akre with millions of dollars of Fox legal fees but that was thrown out of court in 2004. Fox are still pursuing the other plaintiff Steve Wilson her husband for legal fees. The couple who are married could not afford a lawyer for them both so Steve Wilson represented himself, never a good idea. You may have heard of him as he has won a few journalistic awards and his investigative reporting on Kwame Malik Kilpatrick including catching him violating his bail conditions, so you cannot call Steve Wilson a liberal.

You can read the plaintiff's side of the story here

http://www.foxbghsuit.com/

If you go to Fox you can search their site for their side of the story.

You can also Google to find out more.

I too believe in reading multiple sources; it does not prevent me from coming to an opinion about the quality of a source though.

Since Fox has a court stated policy of its right to lie to its audience it clearly follows that "Faux News" is an appropriate appellation.

Kind Regards walker

Since Fox has a court stated policy of its right to lie to its audience it clearly follows that "Faux News" is an appropriate appellation.

Kind Regards walker

Oh lawd! The Fox News Channel is different from that local Florida affiliate named in the lawsuit. If you read a part of the lawsuit, the Florida affiliate is owned by New World Communications of Florida. The Fox News Channel is owned by News Corporation. The defendant in the BGH case is New World Communications of Florida. The Fox News Channel, owned by News Corporation, isn't involved in the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affiliate <-- A good basic understanding of affiliates here in the United States.

Oh lawd! The Fox News Channel is different from that local Florida affiliate named in the lawsuit.

Oh snap, you're right. Thats naming an affiliate - not Fox News Network.

@walker

Thanks for the info anyways. It makes for an interesting read. Still, I think its questionable to completely reject an entire network based on a single example of a lawsuit filed against a Fox affiliate. I think CNN has some pretty obvious biases at times, but I still consider them a legitimate news source.

You fear that people will not know the difference and will be fooled by Fox's alleged lies, or I worry that CNN lies, but people are smart enough to make up their own minds. Nobody in the US is dependent on one and only one source for news unless they put themselves in that position. Between TV, Radio, internet, newspaper - we are bombarded with opinions of all types.