Sign in to follow this  
toecutter

Dynamic USMC mission

Ideally I would like people to see CoIn as a modular system.

For example, someone makes a basic template for Mungari, Tonal, Ia Drang, whatever, with only default units. Someone else releases an enemy spawn script using Generic Opfor, ME rebels, whatever. Someone else edit's the rearm and enemy weapon scripts to use Marpat weapons and releases that.

The end result would be a range of modules that plugin to the core system available for download. With a bit of cut and pasting anyone could customise the mission to suit their personal tastes. "I want to use ORCS Russian units on Chechnya island fighting against Edge's retextured guerillas using Marine Assault Pack weapons with HD ammo" or "I want to use UKF troops against ME rebels on Tonal" etc. You get the picture. Within 10 minutes you have your own version ready to go.

It could also prove useful to addon teams. They could release their new addon packs with their own version of CoIn ready to play.

Anyway, that's the dream.

This is GOOD!!! Love the idea with plugin modules! Perfekt!

Keep it up, cant wait for the coop-version...

I second what andersson said, idea of plugin modules sounds great smile_o.gif

Versions of this for WW2 and Vietnam etc with the appropriate islands and units would be excellent smile_o.gif

I think TacRod ideas can end with something really big for the benefit of the OFP community.

Dynamic missions have been a dream for so much people through several OFP forum, that i can only call for any people capable of helping TacRod for his project to show themselves and contact TacRod.

There is a jewel in polishing state in the background , if it is done i am sure a vast number of user will appreciate not only the concept but the execution and the editing possibilities.

So if you can , do not hesitate to help.

hi tacrod,

just short ago i discovered your mission, and i must say that i am very impressed,

first of the mission itself, and second and even more on the sheer possibilities this could offer to the community smile_o.gif

i started converting your bis-standard unit version to catshit afgahnistan revisisted from ag_smith, and i cant wait to substitute the opfor with afgahn jrrebels, maybe using desert cam marines for myself, but will stick to bis units to start with, to allow anyone

to substitute as they fell like wink_o.gif

but i get one error though, somehow the civilians dont spawn in the city triggers, i get the code that the civilian.sqs is not found

does the city trigger have to be paired with another trigger?

anyway, i will figure this out eventually biggrin_o.gif

great fun to search for good spots for ambushes, heli extraction and all the other modules you got included, thank you very much for this, it really is a great idea that should be exploited more by the community wink_o.gif

to bad my scripting knowledge is close to zero, since i just started, still i will contribute as much as possible to this project

i love the idea of the concept, and who knows, maybe i will be able to add a module to this too biggrin_o.gif

greets Honcho

From memory the city triggers should call a script called \spawn\spawn_city.sqs (or something to that effect). I don't know why the triggers are calling civilian.sqs. Perhaps the version I have up for download is buggy.

I have been getting the urge to do further work on Coin or release a reduced-addons version, but I am trying to focus on the coop version for now.

If you aim for an online version of your CoIn , i suggest you to give a look to bn880 "AI On Demand" system he used on his coop mission " bastige " .

His scripts are a bit too complicated for me to understand, but as it seems to work very well online, maybe it should be interesting for you.

hi TacRod,

I allready figuered out the error message, the civs\civ_ai.sqs was missing in your addonfree release wink_o.gif

I used the ci_ai.sqs from your original coin and everything worked out fine smile_o.gif

Meanwhile i switched to Sanctuarys addonfree version, (that he was so kind to send me) for the port to catshit afgahnistan by Ag_Smith.

The insertion, extraction and medivac helisupport is a great enhancement i dont want to miss anymore biggrin_o.gif

as are the small but effective other enhancements he made, like making the version completly addonfree.

I was thinking of sending you and Sanctuary my version prior to any release, since both of you did the major part on this, i only have to do the fun part, being the location scout for good fights

biggrin_o.gif

Great news that you are working on a MP version, already looking forward to that wink_o.gif

Greets Honcho

Coin Coop is shaping up okay at last. However, I need some input for mission resolution.

One of the mission types is Raid. The goal is to eliminate an enemy leader. One of the things I want to give the option for is to allow for several ways to do this. For example, airstrike, long-range sniper shot, direct assault. So I have two questions:

- How should this leader be represented? Civilian model? Setface "Bin Laden"?

- How can this mission be distinguished from a straightforward attack mission? Make him flee? Delete him after 30 seconds to simulate a bolt hole? Give the enemy a huge numerical advantage? Lots of armour and SAMs?

Another mission is Search and rescue. Find two pilots in a certain area before the bad guys do. But then what? Automatically end the mission and setpos everyone back at base? Simulate a dust off and delete them? Or should they join the player group? Or setwppos to the squad leader every 10 seconds? Lead them to a waiting chopper and fly back to base?

I am a bit wary of using helos to come pick guys up, as I find OFP AI helos to be erratic at times.

So, any ideas on how to best achieve the things mentioned above?

Cheers.

concerning the "eliminate leader" mission i wouldnt use the setface command "bin laden", would be kind of strange to have so many bin ladens arround biggrin_o.gif

but to destinguish the leader i would give him a different soldier model, only used for the leader mission

if using bis units may stick to a civillian, with an added weapon, can be changed in mod-version, or use the default officer model, but let other officers salute infront him, or let him stand at a map table, or next to a radio, some variety to let the player figure it out himself (specially when he makes a sniping approach)

for the helicopter dustoff might as well either take them to base, or randomly a pickup by vehicles, might add some variety, as a waiting helicopter on ground, anything but dont warp them back to base, its sooo unrealistic wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] How can this mission be distinguished from a straightforward attack mission? Make him flee? Delete him after 30 seconds to simulate a bolt hole? Give the enemy a huge numerical advantage? Lots of armour and SAMs?

I think that instead of making the mission goal to eliminate the leader, you should order the players to capture this leader , and force him to follow your team (a join command , or a follow script) to an extraction point.

This way it would be very different from an attack mission.

great idea there sanctuary, would really love to see that smile_o.gif , a pickup by bmp patrol, would be nice to see them drive of with the villain

Another idea: during the insertion there could be some random events like an ambush to the vehicle carrying the player squad or a chopper breackdown during the fly with a forced landing in enemy controlled territory.

Another feature: the chance for the player to fill the lost of the dead squadmates with "fresh meat", maybe with an additional cost in terms of score.

I've just been playing a pre-release version of Honchoblack's Afghanistan CoIn variant. It's great fun!

hills.jpg

The hills are alive with the sounds of Kalashnikovs

mandown.jpg

A fallen son of Mother Russia awaits extraction

twitch.jpg

This one is still twitching. Not for long...

dont you just have to love the sound of ak`s in the morning biggrin_o.gif

i love the search and destroy template, its very well done, an exquisite module if i might say so smile_o.gif

was it your work, or did sanctuary implement it, hard to keep track with this "open-source" mission biggrin_o.gif

but the possibilty for this mission is greatly reduced in the vdv version, to make it a more unique experience ingame, check the addons i send you to see the latest version

I wrote the original S&D module, don't know if Sanctuary modified it. The Coin Coop version I'm working on uses a similar system for the AI in most missions. For example, in the old patrol mission, a single enemy squad zeroes in on the player. In the new version the player must patrol through a zone (defined by a single gamelogic) which contains a number of enemy squads. The squads start at random points and wander randomly. So a player may complete a patrol with no contact at all, or they may run into a firefight, get bogged down and soon be shooting it out with dozens of tangos.

The same AI script can be applied to S&D, or S&R and only requires editing the mission .sqs files for objective completion. Another AI script takes care of the "stand up" fights.

I hope the result is much greater variety in missions. Just drop a town/base/zone logic where you want it and let the scripts handle the rest. Several missions of the same kind on exactly the same gamelogic should play out very differently.

that would be a great approach to simplify the work in the editor alot, and would work so nice with the civis spawning where they are suspossed to, great enhancement to the coin system

it really sounds like a coin version 2.0 wink_o.gif

i love the search and destroy template, its very well done, an exquisite module if i might say so smile_o.gif

was it your work, or did sanctuary implement it, hard to keep track with this "open-source" mission

I wrote the original S&D module, don't know if Sanctuary modified it

Until now i added no new missions to my Malden template, all are TacRod original and brillant scripted ones.

This missions scripting part is not my priority yet , as i am trying to experiment with some other areas of the mission wink_o.gif

Those scripts using game logics are really doing a great job , it should help a lot any user to adapt this kind of dynamic mission to any island.

I just tried the Afghan dynamic prerelease mission with the extra addons you pointed to me, and i like it a very lot. icon14.gif

I must confess I'm greatly anticipating the relase of Afghani COIN:)

Would it take much work to change the troops of my side to UK addons? Of course I'm more than happy to play it with US troops but being English and all it'd be nice smile_o.gif

Changing your troops and the base equipment would take only a few minutes in the editor. However, adjusting the rearm scripts to match the new weapons and changing the vehicles used in the transport/support scripts would take a bit longer (an hour or so I guess). Or if the modular concept I talked about before is used, a few minutes in the editor and a few seconds of cut and pasting.

By the way, I have a very crude test version of Coin coop ready. I don't have a means to test the MP functionality myself, so if anyone is able to test features and post feedback about what does and doesn't work, I'd really appreciate it.

Coin coop tech test

No addons required.

Please remember this is a feature test, the gameplay is still VERY rough.

Cheers smile_o.gif

hi placebo,

it would take longer to match "Dynamic Afghanistan" with your favorite troops, since in this conflict the russians take on the rebels (resitance)

as Tacrod pointed out it requires also changing the .sqs files, since i use an older version of CoIn that is not on the modular basis yet sad_o.gif

but i would love to see british troops to take on afghan rebels smile_o.gif

so you are most welcome to change the troops to your desired ones, once i release the mission (and hopefully release it afterwards wink_o.gif )

the more CoIns are out there the better biggrin_o.gif

greets Honcho

Thanks for the info, depending on time I might do it, we'll see wink_o.gif

I haven't had any response yet, so once again I am appealing for someone to test the functionality of the Coop version of Coin. Just take 5-15 minutes to test it in an MP environment. I just need to know if the basic functions work or not. You don't have to play it much.

Coin coop

No addons required.

I'd really appreciate any help and feedback. Just something like:

- Moveout works

- RTB works

- No troops spawn

etc

Thanks smile_o.gif

sorry i didnt post any feedback so far, i owe you that much, bro sad_o.gif

but now that i am infected bei your "CoIn" i hardly find any time to sleep or eat biggrin_o.gif

got so many additions planed, and allready inserted that i just cant stop now

but promise to pull myself away from working my mission to test the new functions wink_o.gif

Had a chance this morning to try COIN 3 at the 1-8th Server.

-Able to get assigned 1st mission.

- The one I was assigned was a patrol mission.

- Had to find enemey, which is good, since it was a patrol.

- Enemy seemed to stand in place, and were not patroling or defending

- Enemy did not shoot back when shot at, but did try to low crawl away.

- Had to take out 3 Enemy Squads, and all were not in the same place, which was good.

- I was able to RTB back to base, get a mission complete from commander.

What did not work.

- CAS - radio command

- Transport - radio command

- Unable to get assinged a second mission after completing the 1st.

- When I returned to base I saw two apaches, and one MH-60. (Probably do to that I tried to call a CAS, and Transprot from the radio)

- The Pilots were in the Apaches, but the gunners were just standing outside of the Apaches. Both the Pilot and Gunner were standing outside the MH-60

Suggestions:

-Put in Mission Notes how to use RTB,CAS,TRANSPORT, and MOVE OUT radio commands

-Show A base marker were main base is.

Good luck with further development of the COOP ver. Not an easy task. Hopefully someone will give you the help you need. I am not good a scripting, so I am not much help.