Sign in to follow this  
toecutter

Dynamic USMC mission

Hi Toecutter,

I've just got this working and it's great fun. I'll post some more comments over the next few days.

Cheers,

Cornhelium

So after 52 game-hours, 186 personal kills, and the lives of 2 of my Marines, I finished the mission...

Only problem was that the end didn't work properly. I had steadly whittled down terrorist support to "low", and after my last mission I checked my campaign progress - again, "low," but then right after that I get an outtro saying that the terrorists won and we're getting pulled out. I checked progress.sqs and the code looked fine to me, so I have no idea what happened.

Hmmm.

If support was calculated at low, I can't even guess at how in those few minutes my score got high enough to trigger the "lost" ending.

I also had a strange problem where, after repeated rests to skip the night, my men continued to wear their NVGs during the day. I figure it was due to the variables being saved, but I had to order everyone to drop them and pick them up again before they went back to normal. Also along those lines, you should take the binoculars away from most of the men, because they stop every few seconds to look around. Keeping formation is impossible when they keep dropping out.

Well toecutter outside of some of the issues that Seal84 stated, 1-8th did not see any major problems with the SP vers.

Those of us that have tried it, enjoyed it very much. This is a great idea. Thanks.

I tried to put it to a MP Coop, but when playing as a coop, we can get a mission to be assinged, but the enemy usually will not spawn. Sometimes, when the enemy spawns, we can never complete a mission. (Even after killing all of the enemy)

Look forward to when you release a coop ver.

Glad to hear people are enjoying the mission biggrin_o.gif

I'm looking at the problems that have been listed here. I should be releasing another version around the weekend. The not ending thing has me stumped though... can't see why on earth it would run both endings sad_o.gif

If all goes well, the next version will have a new sniper mission type, cosmetic helos, some ambience and various small bugfixes.

Also, I have started looking at coop. I have never played a coop mission, let alone made one wow_o.gif After looking over some MP editing guides, I may have a fair bit of re-coding to do. A big problem I foresee is that the role of the squad leader is so essential, if he gets wasted, the rest of the squad will be without fire support, RTB, etc. If anyone with coop scripting experience could give me some tips, that would be great.

Assuming I get anywhere with coop scripting, I'll need someone to test it with online. I live in Japan and don't have any PC gaming buddies here (everyone has a PS2), so any volunteers who think they can get a decent ping, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

I do hope that someone good with scripting, and coop design, helps out. I do not know enough. When I tried to move it to coop, I turned respawn on, knowing the issue with the squad leader contolling everything. I guess if you want a true coop you do not want respawn, but getting the scripts to work with the next in the line of command, I have no idea.

If you do get a coop worth testing, I am sure 1-8th is willing to give it a try. The time diff, between here and Japan, may make it hard to be on at the sametime you are. If worse comes to worse 1-8th can try it, and post a review of what we found.

This design can make for some great coop, were you are not sure what mission you will start out with.

The only drawback is that there is no save in MP. At least none that I have seen actually work. I think we can live with out the save for MP. Just playing the diff misions, and haveing them tie into each other is fun.

Had a problem where some members of the squad were "ignoring" me. What happened was after a RTB, the squad members appeared to be "mounted" or "following" thereself. For example, #8 had a little number 8 in the upper right of the units icon. There were several units with this problem. It was sort of like when they are in a vehicle, and they are "grouped" with the driver, or commander of the vehicle.

Nothing I did could get them to follow me. I tried detaching and rallying the groups, and I even edited the Rally script and increased the pause time from 0.2 to 0.5 during the JOINS.

I was using color assignments at the time, and this may have someting to do with it. Another possibility is that they may have been in a vehicle when I issued the RTB. I will experiment some more tonight and try to narrow down what is causing this.

The link to the UCE Middle-east Resistance 1.1 (JAM) addon is broken. It's the only addon I'm missing, sad_o.gif.

The link to the UCE Middle-east Resistance 1.1 (JAM) addon is broken. It's the only addon I'm missing, sad_o.gif.

Yeah, the old computer I'm hosting that on is down due to a fan failure. I'll see if I can get it running again soon.

*EDIT: Grab it from here: UCE ME Resistance 1.1 (incl. JAM variants)

I recently (2004-11-16) did tweaks to it:<ul>[*]uce_kuffiyajam.pbo can now be used by itself alone with JAM2. (repathed textures in the soldier model)

[*] Said addon has a few new variants of soldiers sporting more JAM weapons

I just downloaded this mission and now am in the process of downloading the various addons. I'm looking forward to this and will post as much feedback as I can. I think dynamic missions like this and unscripted war are the future.

Like I said I just downloaded the mission. When I unzip it though its in pieces. Do I just make PBO on the folder then place it in Missions?

This mission is HOT. wow_o.gif

I hope I'll soon have time to make more decent attempts and a decent report to you, toecutter. It sometimes lags a bit on my CPU, but that's just me.

For now, congratulation, this just rocks.

Mungari kicks major ass. However, its the story which I have no clue about. It's like going to the theatre and not knowing which movie to see.

Well I've tried it out for a hour now. It's a great concept, there seems to be a few bugs though.

I ended up on a patrol mission in Balaka (I think). When I got to the patrol point it said "the enemy should be here soon". Just then a tango spawned 2 feet in front of me, I shot at him but then he vanished and reappeared a few feet away. Next I shot at him again, once more he teleported. Then lots of terrorist were spawning and dissapearing and reappearing and I got real dizzy and they were all over mixed in with my squad and then I died and it was really freaky. I know long disjointed crazy paragraph. It was strange though, it reminded me of like weird sci fi alien guys or something.

I also kept getting a bugged ambush mission. Every now and then I'd get an ambush mission. When I'd click on the notes to see where the mission area was it would zoom to an area with lots of white unreadible writing. I'd "move out" to the area and wait forever but nothing would ever show up. So I just had to return to base and abort that one. It came up several times.

On another ambush mission the enemy came from the opposite direction of where the map said they would come from.

All that said, I'm just giving feed back. This mission has the potential to revolutionize this game. Dynamic random missions is exactly what this game needs. I'm really looking forward to the next version.

A few questions and ideas:

1. Is there a way to get replacements for your lost men? I never live more than two missions so I'm not sure.

2. Maybe you could add a mission type where the enemy attacks with a BIS T55 or two. You'd need to include some Jam M136's or MAP SMAWS though.

I'm in this for the long hall If you keep at this project and keep updating it. I'll keep bug testing and try to help any way I can. I really want to see this take off. I think unscripted war and now this are the answer to the lack of missions in Flashpoint. With random tour of duty mini campaign mission generators like this the game really comes to life.

Good luck and keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a quick update.

I'm still working on the next version. I have attempted to recode it for COOP but as I lack a LAN, I have sent it to a clan to test. Fingers crossed... Hopefully I'll hear from them in the next few days. If it works, I'll release it.

If all goes well the next step will be recoding it using only standard BIS stuff so that people can edit it to suit themselves. Ideally I would like to see people using this mission as a starting point, add their own stuff and then release it.

Anyway, from the readme on the new version:

=======

Changes

=======

- COOP support (hopefully): too many changes to list

- lowered the support rating to make games shorter

- Added support number to STATUS display

- Added health to STATUS display

- Changed it so attackers flee when they break on defence missions

- Added some .50 cal mgs to the base

- Revised reloading script to accomodate M4s, shotguns, supressed weapons, sniper rifles

- added a bunch of guns to the ammo crates

- added a search and destroy mission

- added last_mis to prevent 2 of the same mission types in a row

- renamed some variables to try to make scripts easier to read

- removed binoculars from all marines (except squad leader) to stop them from breaking formation

- added remove and add NVGs to marines to stop them wearing them all day

- added CO revival to the mission_control script

- added unassignvehicle to RTB to avoid grouping bug

- changed medevac to use a mapclick

- random weather

- raised terrorist skill to 0.4

- changed ME Resistance JAM to regular ME Resistance for download reasons

- added a cosmetic moveout helo, then disabled it due to a few issues. Code commented out in \server\mission_control.sqs if you want to enable it

- changed ME Resistance JAM to regular ME Resistance for download reasons

You don't want to do that - the old, "regular" UCE ME Resistance is broken as hell(*) and will cause trouble when used on dedicated servers.

A working link to the archive containing the fixed regular one and the JAM variant is above, but I'll just repeat it here:

UCE ME Resistance 1.1 and JAM variant 1.0

(*) UCE ME Res 1.0, the old one, has the following deficiencies:<ul>[*] Fails to declare its addon dependencies

[*] Has a phantom "groups" entry in the CfgPatches part which messes up missions and causes 'Cannot load mission: missing addons "groups"'-errors

The thread linked to in the first post of this thread (near the now-broken link to the fixed addon) has a longer discussion on this matter, the fix and its resulting "caveats".

wow_o.gif

just played it and was very impressed on how creative the mission was and how it really was very replayable

have you got MSN/yahoo/ICQ? i could probably give you some suggestions and bugs i found

@ Killswitch:

Noted. As far as I can tell from the UCE ME Resistance JAM readme, the new units use the same unit name (uce_r_kuffiyaSoldier) as the original version. So, my mission should work OK with the new version of the units without recoding. I only use the one unit and dynamically allocate weapons. I will update my readme. Thanks for the heads-up.

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about recording those voice files...came down with a bad head cold so I'm going to wait until that clears up before I do it wink_o.gif

Has any one ever been given the option to call for air support or artillery?I've done quite a few missions now and never have been given those options.

You need to use the radio (0-0-7 "Call Support", I believe)...wait a few seconds then single-click on the target location on the map. A dialogue should pop up and you can sift through the plethora of support options.

Just be sure to keep VERY far away from a napalm target....had a short drop fry my entire team once crazy_o.gif

Been playing this a bunch today. This is a great concept. I still never get the option to call for artillery or air support though.

Here's a few ideas I had. Please these are just suggestions, I'm just trying to be a think tank.

Do you think in a future version that maybe your dead squad members could randomly respawn after a successful mission? I desperately need replacements for my dead men in my current campaign save.

Another thing I was thinking about was the RTB. As it is now it's instant. It's saved my life a few times when I've seen a grenade coming my way and I just 0-0-5 to safety instantly. Maybe it should have a 5 to 10 second delay before it takes effect. Another idea I was thinking would be to have a chopper sent like the medivac. When it arrives the screen goes black like the medivac and then you are back at base.

I could see that adding intensity to a mission. just imagine you call for extraction in the middle of a fierce fire fight. You keep holding out, your position is being overrun. Just when hope is all but lost you hear the engine of a blackhawk and you know salvation is at hand.

It might be a little cool to if the enemy forces were a bit random. instead of it being two UAZs and a few squads every time. Maybe some times it would be one squad, or 2 to 4 sometimes with a UAZ or two, Maybe even APCs or tanks if the opfors support is very high.

Any way just throwing out ideas. I really can't wait for the next version. At the moment this is what is keeping me in Flashpoint.

Any news on an update? I've been playing this a lot over the last few days and it's fantastic fun, would love to see it expanded on,

Also the download links are dead. The last version I have is 2.1 which I've uploaded to a 30 day mirror....

Counter-Insurgency.zip

G'day.

The most recent version never got released because I couldn't get the COOP functionality working. If you want to try it anyway (I think there are a couple of bugfixes etc) let me know, I can email it to you.

Also, I am currently working on CoIn 2. I am coding this from the ground up with COOP functionality as the main goal. Also, the basic release will be with BIS units ONLY, no addons. Basically it will be a template so that people can simply import the markers etc to whatever island they want and edit the spawn scripts to use whatever units they want. That's the grand plan anyway.

I plan to release a beta of CoIn 2 around mid to late January.

Cheers xmas_o.gif

That's a cracking idea, a kinda DIY addon version, for me I'd make it with UKForces v terrorists kinda thingy smile_o.gif

Sure I'd love to test it out send it to Placebo@bistudio.com, a coop version will be great smile_o.gif