Sign in to follow this  
Silencer

Whats popular in Missions?

I'm making a campaign since its my first I'm kinda new I'm searching and trying to find good scripts and commands needed to make it work well.

what makes a good mission?

is the the cutscenes? oh man then this will take me forever to do...

A good cutscene is bollocks if the mission is bad anyway.

Once you have the mission outlined, spend time on perfecting it, then worry about cutscenes etc.

I take it you're making a SP or Co-op mission?

Often what makes a good mission is some intelligent AI action. Other than just standing around as the proverbial sitting ducks, the AI should react to what happens in the mission and in the surroundings. This extra work on waypoints and triggers pays off when playing the mission.

And for gods sake, the objectives have to make sense.

Sometimes you see obj1: Get some bread from the bakery, obj2: cut toenails, obj3: kill 50 enemy snipers, obj4: blow up an entire village; obj5:Repaint house... etc.

You get the picture.

The story of the mission should be realistic, as should the objectives. And they should be matched by whatever forces you plan to utilize. The PC's should be fitted to do the job, as in RL...or if they are not, the exscuse has to be pretty damn good...

You know I never thought about what I liked to do in battle....a fight has always been a fight....you have your orders and try to stay alive while you carry em out.....but now that I think about it I hate tank battles.....it pisses me off to give orders to some fucking cock sucker in the gunner seat to see him point at an enemy tank and not fire and then we all die as a result.....I hate how the damn gun turns fucking your view up....I hate the way they move.....I HATE TANK BATTLES...... mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Ok, I'm just trying to understand you, so you are saying that you have a strong disliking of tank battles? Why is that? biggrin.gif

COLINMAN

It's just everything about them........I can't think of anything I like about tank missions unless your driving.....WHICH EVEN THEN the thing is a damn fuck to drive....it pisses me off to have the tank swinging back and forth as I try to drive straight...errrrrr mad.gifmad.gif

ARG! i LOVE to take out the tanks for a nice romp. look at avatar <- - - -. Put some of them in. It wont be realistic, but put in tanks with a.i so its easier for people who hate tanks to drive.

Tank battles are fun for some, just dreadful for others. I recently discovered that by parking my M60 up a hill side, I could enjoy a cup of tea while picking down 5-6 T72´s down on the ground. There were some trees between us at a point, seems like it works like the hiding in bushes "feature".

Ohkay so it is cheating.. going back down to face those bast.. BOOOMMMM - Oh now, 1 is down..

biggrin.gif

Try firing a round, roll back in hiding and reload, fire, roll back e.t.c.

Hidden

One of my fave things in missions is having to do some driving in a jeep, call me lame if you will but I for one think that Opf has superb graphics and I really enjoy whizzing around in my jeep getting to some firefight or objective or something smile.gif

Good AI scripting/pathing....and most of all, the "Ooooohh SH*T!!"-factor. Nothing beats one of em missions where you're shitting yer pants cuz of some damn BMP/Mi24/sniper that's after your arse smile.gif

And use the terrain wisely....consider the tactical (dis)advantages of certain positions and use em wisely smile.gif

ok soo most of you want good AL and no pointless missions with stupid storyline?

I'm just worried about having barely no cutscenes!

my story takes place in winter I found winter vehicles and a map soo I'm good right now.

Well I can't speak for everyone (makes a change eh wink.gif ) but personally I'd just be happy to play a pretty solid mission on the winter map with the winter addons and the latest weapons, unless I'm missing something there are hardly any missions for the Snow map and you'll prolly find people will snap your hands off when you release it smile.gif

adding on to placebo's jeep theory, i also like to use jeeps... to do backflips with, theres a spot on malden that is perfect for this...

i was gonna do a mission of a bay attack by A10's using the OH-58 to guide in the bombs with its lazer

your role was anti-AA with machine guns and some AA missiles. had it nicely laid out with the machine guns able to straf the A10's as they flew past. once they were destroyed u were to advance to a town and clear out any resistince cells that were there

(plot was it was a diversion landing by the russins comprising of old and useless equipment while the real landing took place else where... basically a penal platoon where they got all the suicade missions)