Sign in to follow this  
Homefry

Why still Operation Flashpoint

Hello everybody,

first let me introduce myself: My name is Petra and I’m an editor at GameStar, Europe’s biggest pc-gaming-magazine. Right now I’m working on an article about games, that are already forgotten -- among normal players. What I want to put emphasize on, is that there are games, that are technically outdated, but still have a big fan-community that supports the game, adds new features etc.

For that I need statements from players and – more important – from people that create new content. In the statements I like to read, why you stick to that game after all this years. What’s so fascinating about it?

So, if you like to tell me, why Operation Flashpoint is still one of your favourites and why you support that game, please let me know. The mail-address is: pet@gamestar.de

And please, could you add your real name to the mail? That’s important for the quotes in the article.

Thanks in advance,

Petra

I thought I would post this here, seeing as there are many more OFP fans that no longer visit OFPEC regulary.

Uninstalled game today. 10 GB of free space. Uff.

This is the end of OFP 1 for me. I'll wait to see what changes OFP2 will bring.

So, see you till then.

LOL. I keep Windowz on my pc only because of OFP smile_o.gif

BTW would be good if someone would post that article here. smile_o.gif

It's because of all the 133t 4@x0r5.......... (j/k) biggrin_o.gif

No, seriously this is something I've been dying to be asked by someone willing to publish it, especially seeing as I've got a number of other aging, though superior, games under the belt, for which I am also dedicated too.

Responding to this should give me a good feeling. smile_o.gif

So, see you till then.

Can I have your post count? tounge_o.gif

Bye. rock.gifsad_o.gif

Please stick to the topic or you can have 00RedBaron's smile_o.gif

I think after a year of waiting for OFP2 Gordy will come back to us  biggrin_o.gif

no chance, there is nothing that could take place for OFP1...

mfg BLECHREIZ

ps: nice topic, but why should some counter-strikers know that we're still playing OFP? thats not that important i think

So, see you till then.

A normal crisis, it happened to me recently. Then we start looking for replacements and find none, then we come to the forums or other OPF news site and see that nice addon, mod, wathever that we were looking forward to is released.

Its fact that the OPF game is still unique and has gotten much better with all the content made for it and also the evolution of harware that allows users to take more out of the game.

While many other games focus on eye candy and rubish gameplay OPF still delivers alot more than the average game smile_o.gif .

The thing I am most having trouble with, is the notion that Operation Flashpoint is:

Quote[/b] ]technically outdated

If you look past ragdoll physics and graphics, it sure as hell is not outdated at all. In fact, it was, and as far as I'm concerned, still is, ahead of its time.

I fear that responding could be a lost cause, considering she calls OFP forgotten amongst normal players!

What is that proclaiming? That normal players are a bunch of short attention spanned, Ritalin fueled kids of modern society? crazy_o.gif

I'll ask here. What the hell defines a 'normal gamer'?

If normal is what I think he/she thinks it is, then by all means call me something else! crazy_o.gif

The thing I am most having trouble with, is the notion that Operation Flashpoint is:
Quote[/b] ]technically outdated

If you look past ragdoll physics and graphics, it sure as hell is not outdated at all. In fact, it was, and as far as I'm concerned, still is, ahead of its time.

I fear that responding could be a lost cause, considering she calls OFP forgotten amongst normal players!

What is that proclaiming? That normal players are a bunch of short attention spanned, Ritalin fueled kids of modern society? crazy_o.gif

I'll ask here. What the hell defines a 'normal gamer'?

If normal is what I think he/she thinks it is, then by all means call me something else! crazy_o.gif

yes flashpoint is fogotten amonst normal players, but that is simply because they are

Quote[/b] ] Ritalin fueled kids of modern society
that isn't a slur agains this game, it's a simple fact. flashpoint requires skill and paicience, and most people don't want to put that ammount of effort into a game

I call a normal gamer someone who isn't a fanboy.

[Gareth Gates must die]

I call a normal gamer someone who isn't a fanboy.

[Gareth Gates must die]

Then you are a fanboy considering how your mad about Halo2 and HalfLife is according to you the best game in the world tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]If you look past ragdoll physics and graphics, it sure as hell is not outdated at all. In fact, it was, and as far as I'm concerned, still is, ahead of its time.

You know thats exactly what i am thinking here rock.gif , i mean show me a game from a same genre which comes as close to OFP technically and i dont think i know of one yet ....

It might be outdated graphic wise but the community has upped the bar on that too by a long shot.

The only thing which keeps the so called ab i mean 'normal' player from coming to OFP is the fact that you have to work to ENJOY OFP , like make missions yourself once you get bored of the same BIS ones plus d/ld addons and keep up with the news. Most so called normal players dont like to deovte time on such things they are atypical console players who simply ported to the PC carrying those same 'i dont wanna work for playing a game' genes as console players who simply dish in a CD and off they go without a thought of doing something new and getting involved with the game themselves.

Atleast thats my observation with my friends whom ive introduced to OFP they simply dont want to keep up with such things they want thing lying down on a silver platter for them to play crazy_o.gif

Show her pics of the latest addons and then ask her if OFP is outdated.

Show her pics of the old BIS units and I'd agree that OFP is outdated.

I don't know if writing Petra will get any message through, as they just brought an article about the "best military/infantry simulator games" and did not even include ofp in the test, only soeldner, bf, etc.

Right now I’m working on an article about games, that are already forgotten -- among normal players. What I want to put emphasize on, is that there are games, that are technically outdated, but still have a big fan-community that supports the game, adds new features etc.

icon4.gif How can this be, people playing a game that doesn't support the latest shaders! We must get to the bottom of this strange cult of abnormal players!

I hear they've discovered a buried treasure forgotten for years in favor of graphics... the Holy Gameplay !

I agree.. There's really no newer game that could replace OFP. It won't get old until there's something better to replace it.

Benu: OFP is considered an outdated game except by a small stubborn community who has been around since the start. So unless you haven't played this game from the beginning I doubt anyone would find it good with games like Far Cry and Doom 3 on the market. OFP has so many ugly and terrible parts which the new players will notice far before they realize how good it really is. Those negative parts of the game only get's more obvious as time goes by.

The only thing which keeps the so called ab i mean 'normal' player from coming to OFP is the fact that you have to work to ENJOY OFP , like make missions yourself once you get bored of the same BIS ones plus d/ld addons and keep up with the news. Most so called normal players dont  like to deovte time on such things they are atypical console players who simply ported to the PC carrying those same 'i dont wanna work for playing a game' genes as console players who simply dish in a CD and off they go without a thought of doing something new and getting involved with the game themselves.

Atleast thats my observation with my friends whom ive introduced to OFP they simply dont want to keep up with such things they want thing lying down on a silver platter for them to play  crazy_o.gif

Yes same here, I had some friends where i had to sneak up onto their computer just so i can install the patch and some basic addons because they were to lazy to do it on their own, and i just couldn't look at them playing with an unpatched/virgin ofp when all these sweet addons are out that totally change the game..... I think this is the reason why this game got outdated >> Lazy people  crazy_o.gif I'ts funny but it's also sad, because they don't know what they are missing  biggrin_o.gif  sad_o.gif

The only thing which keeps the so called ab i mean 'normal' player from coming to OFP is the fact that you have to work to ENJOY OFP , like make missions yourself once you get bored of the same BIS ones plus d/ld addons and keep up with the news. Most so called normal players dont like to deovte time on such things they are atypical console players who simply ported to the PC carrying those same 'i dont wanna work for playing a game' genes as console players who simply dish in a CD and off they go without a thought of doing something new and getting involved with the game themselves.

Atleast thats my observation with my friends whom ive introduced to OFP they simply dont want to keep up with such things they want thing lying down on a silver platter for them to play crazy_o.gif

Yes same here, I had some friends where i had to sneak up onto their computer just so i can install the patch and some basic addons because they were to lazy to do it on their own, and i just couldn't look at them playing with an unpatched/virgin ofp when all these sweet addons are out that totally change the game..... I think this is the reason why this game got outdated >> Lazy people crazy_o.gif I'ts funny but it's also sad, because they don't know what they are missing biggrin_o.gifsad_o.gif

LOL! install Y2K3 , Dxdll and Llauma's sky on it, see how they'll respond biggrin_o.gif

I'll tell you why OFP is my favorite Petra; it's possible to write in german to you?

- we dont talk about a comparison between other (actually) games and OFP or?

- we talk about 'what is the fasciantion in OFP ... not more or less ok?

btw: the discussion about 'engine and graphics etc. is ridiculous ... why?

- cos @the moment i can not play OFP with maximum settings (5000m with very high details => crash to desk)

... show me another 3 years old engine which was made for that 'future settings ...

... i mean i started with PIII 500MHz and play the same game now with 3200 MHz (~factor 6!) and still can get the total capacity of this engine ...thats impressiv (imo)

P.S. 'engine etc. its only 1 aspect of the whole spectrum ... i know that;

greetz

I agree.. There's really no newer game that could replace OFP. It won't get old until there's something better to replace it.

Benu: OFP is considered an outdated game except by a small stubborn community who has been around since the start. So unless you haven't played this game from the beginning I doubt anyone would find it good with games like Far Cry and Doom 3 on the market. OFP has so many ugly and terrible parts which the new players will notice far before they realize how good it really is. Those negative parts of the game only get's more obvious as time goes by.

Personally, I started to play this game only six months ago for the first time. This was because of the fact I was eager to play it before but never had a fast computer. Anyway, if you take some time indeed you will notice the beaty inside. And with all those addons it would be a shame to uninstall this game. This fast community keeps the ofp soul allive, since evry now and then, new discovery's within the game are made (dxdll, trains, etc...)

sent an email too, i mentioned that primarily the wysiwig-click´n´go editor and the awesome AI (and how AI still kicks my ass) make me still play ofp.

but of course, what would ofp be without 10 GB´s of addons installed tounge_o.gif

@parvus: of course you can write in german..she just posted this in english because it was on ofpec originally

Personally, I started to play this game only six months ago for the first time. This was because of the fact I was eager to play it before but never had a fast computer.

Wachtmeester, you made some addons for the Lowlands Warrior, didn't you? If you did, amazing that you made addons, with only 6 months OFP experience. I'm playing OFP since zero hour, but I'm still uncapable of installing Oxygen or writing a script tounge_o.gif

To stick to the topic, I think it is cool that a game magazine wants to give attention to some older games, especially OFP. It's quite boring to read about the next Sims, or some f*** game that will be released when OFP4 comes out. I hope that Petra makes a good article, not an article with a "ofp is outdated, only played by old weirdo's" conclusion.

I think that hear mailbox is getting bombed tounge_o.gif