Sign in to follow this  
KeyCat

Group Link II ver. 1.90 released

FYI - A new version of Group Link II is available and enemy AI may now search for you inside buildings! This version finally adds support for Resistance side vehicles (now all BIS standard vehicles for east, west and resistance is covered) as well as totally re-written vehicle check routines so now it's much easier to add support for your favorite 3rd party addons (see README.TXT and thanks to KTottE for his suggestion)!

Overview.

---------

The basic script enables AI enemy groups to call other groups for backup and may also call for artillery support when they encounter their enemies (you!). The enemy groups estimate their chances against your group and only call for backup if they "feel" overmatched.

If a group's rating is higher than the enemy, they will wait to call for backup. If/when they feel overmatched they will call the nearest friendly AI group for backup. There is also some randomness in the group selection routine so it may not be the same group coming for backup each time.

You can tweak the response of the groups by changing how you initialize the script. The AI that spotted you will continue to search for you and calling in support (if they "feel" overmatched) as long as they live and are able to detect you or any of your group members.

Over the time I've added lots of new features that makes the AI behave more lifelike and unpredictable to become a more challenging opponent in co-op games! The following are the things changed/added to the original script...

- Designed and tested to work in multiplayer!

- Enemy AI may now search for you inside buildings (optional, can be disabled).

- Enemy AI now react to suppressive fire from machine guns (M60, PK etc.) so now machine gunners can be used a bit more tactical and slow down advancing enemy infantry (optional, can be disabled).

- Enemy AI now "hear" and react to your gunfire even if not under direct fire. Detection range depends on actual weapon fired. If the enemy AI detects your gunfire they will take cover and leader will scan in the direction of the gunfire, they may also decide to advance in the same direction (optional, can be disabled).

- Enemy AI may taunt you verbally by shouting when you have been detected (optional, can be disabled).

- Enemy infantry will unmount jeeps/cars/trucks/BMP's/APC's ~200 m prior to the last known location. They will proceed the last bit by foot.

- If enemy infantry is in a helicopter they may paradrop over the target area else the helicopter will try to land and they will be unloaded.

- Enemy AI may call in artillery support at your location if they spot you, but will only do so if no other enemy AI groups are in the target area (optional, can be disabled).

- If the support group don't find you and the alert is canceled they will relocate and get back into their vehicles (if any) and resume to their original waypoints (if any).

- At daytime if enemy vehicles is engaged (or spot you) en route to the conflict point enemy AI may pop smoke while all infantry soldiers rapidly unmounts the vehicles (smoke is optional, can be disabled).

- If it's dark enemy AI will most likely use flares at the conflict point to aid their search for you (it's considered dark between 19.00-05.00)

- You can set number of maximum active enemy AI support groups or let the script randomly select this between 2-5.

- Timeout for an alert is randomly generated by the script (~5-8 minutes).

- The script randomly sets formation, speed, behavior and combat modes for each support group individually when they are called for.

- Enemy AI groups will never (or very seldom) retreat. They will try to fight you until the bitter end. This since the individual groups are quite small in OFP (max 12 men) hope this will be fixed in OFP 2.

- Possible to have your prefered 3rd party vehicles and weapons working.

- Backward compatible with previous versions, just delete the old SQS-files and replace them with the new!

Credits.

--------

BIS, Toadlife, Kriegerdaemon, Kegetys, BAS, Amalfi, OFPEC.com, Suchey & Earl, Silola, KTottE and everyone else that makes OFP keep going!

Version history.

----------------

1.91 [Released 2004-10-22]

- Limited artillery fire missions available for AI.

1.90 [Released 2004-10-20]

- Enemy AI may now search for you inside buildings.

- Completly re-written vehicle check routines.

- Added support for resistance standard vehicles.

- Added option to disable AI paradropping from helicopters.

1.72 [Released 2004-10-07]

- Enemy AI now shout at you when you are detected.

- Sniper and recon AI teams never use smoke.

- Fixed bug when using randomly set max_AI_groups feature.

- Script now generates some of the needed objects automaticly.

- Added option to disable AI vehicles laying smoke screen.

- Added option to disable AI using smoke grenades.

- Added option to kill Group Link II script completely.

- Added "hooks" for Group Link II Plus Pack.

1.63 [Released 2004-09-21]

- Enemy AI now react to suppressive fire.

- Added new variables to allow tweaking of the suppressive fire script.

- Renamed some of the scripts files.

- Changed scope of some variables.

1.54 [Released 2003-09-17]

- Enemy AI "hear" and reacts to your gunfire.

- Changed scope of some variables.

- Fixed unit name for the Bradley.

- Decreased random chance for enemy to call on artillery support.

- Increased random delay before enemy artillery shelling starts.

1.21 [Released 2003-08-18]

- Added support for west standard vehicles.

- Global variables now complies to OFPEC tag system.

1.16 [Released 2003-05-06]

- Corrected some minor spelling errors, probably still some left ;-)

- Added advance example mission.

1.15 [Released 2003-05-05]

- Initial release.

See README.TXT and example mission for more details.

Group Link II 1.91

Please also read the old threads below, lots of good info and answers to many questions...

Group Link II ver. 1.72 released

Group Link II ver. 1.63 released

Group Link II ver. 1.54 released

Group Link II ver. 1.21 released

Group Link II released

Enjoy!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Good to hear.

Keycat, It looks like all we have to do to update from 1.72 to 1.9 is overwrite the AI folder? No other changes (like deleting bloodsplats in the last version)

Quote[/b] ]

Keycat, It looks like all we have to do to update from 1.72 to 1.9 is overwrite the AI folder? No other changes (like deleting bloodsplats in the last version)

Correct! To update from 1.72 just overwrite everything in the AI folder with the files from this version and everything should work as before including the new features.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

keycat

Just finished reading the readme. Thank you thank you thank you for making it much easier to add addons to this script. Great job.

omg! Keycat you made my boring day a really happy and joyfull day biggrin_o.gif man what a turning point! tounge_o.gif

Now im off to give this a couple of hours in the editor, got to see and experience and try and then make a new mission in the marines series im making or just come up with something new from scratch smile_o.gif

Thank you for this new version.

I already had lots of fun experimenting with the hunting.

keycat is there a way so i can make the a.i not go crawling through the building? but instead stand up , walking instead?

do i need to edit the script or do i just change stuff in the waypoints?

Quote[/b] ]

...much easier to add addons to this script.

If someone adds support for vehicles in mods like FDF, CLSA, RHS, BAS, CBT! to name a few of them, please share the arrays here in the forum for all to benefit. I will try to collect them and include them in the docs.

BTW, the same goes for weapon class arrays...

Quote[/b] ]

keycat is there a way so i can make the a.i not go crawling through the building? but instead stand up , walking instead?

do i need to edit the script or do i just change stuff in the waypoints?

Don't think you can change this in the editor since this is the default AI kicking in. It depends on the combat mode the soldier is in when doing the house search, sometimes he may walk and sometimes he may crawl.

However, I will try to look into it for an future update (no promises).

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Yeah i can fix some bas and map weapons and stuff to it,

i its gonna take me a couple of days maybe but if i get the time i need i can post the fixed stuff here on saturday sometime.

keycat

You were looking for new ideas for this script. One thing that is killing me in this script smile_o.gif is the Arty. Right now the Arty comes on line with a marker placed on the map and the enemy within vis of your position. Is this correct?? What if you could designate a man as the arty spotter instead of a marker, and if he is in vis range of your position arty can be brought in. There should be some delay also between the time he is in vis range and the time arty lands. If the guy is killed arty no longer comes in.

Right now the enemy shows up and within 30 arty is raining down on my position with devastating results. Its way cool but it seems too effective.

Quote[/b] ]

You were looking for new ideas for this script.

With this latest release the script is becoming rather complete and I've fixed most of my personal "gripes" with OFP so when time allows I plan to spend more time actually playing OFP instead of just scripting. Ideas are always welcome but don't expect any major updates in the near future...

Quote[/b] ]

Right now the Arty comes on line with a marker placed on the map and the enemy within vis of your  position. Is this correct??

Partly correct... If you place an object (preferable the static artillery object) named EastArtillery on the map and you are detected by the enemy there is a 10% chance they call in artillery on your last known location if no other of their own units is to close.

To me it sounds like you aren't sneaking good enough  wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

What if you could designate a man as the arty spotter instead of a marker, and if he is in vis range of your position arty can be brought in. There should be some delay also between the time he is in vis range and the time arty lands. If the guy is killed arty no longer comes in.

It works almost the same today it just isn't an arty spotter. If you blow up the static artillery object you disable their ability to call in artillery (i.e same as killing the spotter).

Another thing you can try is to play around with the 6th parameter (courage) setting this to low may have the effect that enemy AI call for artillery or re-inforcement to soon.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

My advice is for you to create a non-UA and a UA version of this system. CoC UA seems to do a good job in providing an effective and dangerous, but not overkill regarding the accuracy of artillery fire.

There should also be somewhat of a rationing or priority system in using artillery for the AI squads patrolling or pursuing you. That way they can't constantly just rain artillery wherever you go all the time.

This system would be far more enjoyable if you could impliment a CoC UA version.

@ Gunterlund: Could it be that in your mission you are spotted at long range and maybe by several enemy groups simultainously?

Quote[/b] ]

There should also be somewhat of a rationing or priority system in using artillery for the AI squads patrolling or pursuing you.  That way they can't constantly just rain artillery wherever you go all the time.

@ havocsquad: In our testings we haven't experienced that enemy AI call in artillery on top of you constantly but maybe it could vary from mission to mission?

I agree that an rationing system could be a good thing to add and I will se what I can do. Would be pretty simple to limit the AI to only have artillery support only once every ~5-10 minutes (if you are detected). Will look into it...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

The ability to ration would be a good idea. Also does the arty marker have to be static. Can it be mobile? The reason why I thought a spotter would be good is right now to take out the arty you have to take out the gun(marker). If you take out the spotter the gun could be something to capture. Just a thought. Im trying not to use the CoC Ua system as it adds overhead to the mission, though I think it is a fabulous mod.

Quote[/b] ]

The ability to ration would be a good idea.

Working on it as we speak so expect an update tomorrow... What kind of timeframe do you want? Is 5-8 minutes (random) between each possible firemission enough? Also I think that only 10% probabilty will be a tad to low after this change, what probabilty would be recommended? Note, the AI will still have to detect you and not having their own troops nearby...

Quote[/b] ]

Also does the arty marker have to be static. Can it be mobile?

Yes, it can be any object you want as long as it's named EastArtillery, WestArtillery or ResistanceArtillery depending on what side AI is.

Matter of fact you could name a soldier to this and as long as he stays alive artillery is available.

Quote[/b] ]

Im trying not to use the CoC Ua system as it adds overhead to the mission, though I think it is a fabulous mod.

Same for me... CoC's AU System is really great but a bit to heavy for my machine when things starts to heat up.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Hah see Keycat you solved my problem. Now that I can tie it to a person, there is my spotter. Take out the spotter... takes out the arty. As far as CoC is concerned when I have 5 squads poppin smoke cause they are in the fight, and drop UA on top of it.... system go chug chug boom goodnight. biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Personally I hope that someone can add COC UA to this script as my system can handle it and I would love to get shot up by that artillery! wink_o.gif

Updated to version 1.91 (link in first post) and now AI can only call for artillery support once every ~4-8 minutes (random).

Gunterlund, try this new version and let me know what you experience in your mission...

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Keycat thanks for the update. Ill let you know. It seems like the enemy has the propensity to drop an arty round right on my head every mission. One thing that did work great is assigning a man as EastArtillery. Kill him and arty go bye bye.

Hi Keycat

Tried my mission last night with new version. Well before we had too much arty. Now we have none. Ive only played it once however. I will try several times today to see how it goes and let you know.

UPDATE

Mission is looking good Keycat. Arty is much more manageable. Time to play with courage now as the enemy has a tendency to drive all the way into our lines before disembarking.

Question.

Should troops start in a helo and does the helo have to be empty.

do all group leaders that are on the ground have the ability to fire flares during night or is it only officers?

and also can a a.i that gets to be leader fire flares when he they discover the enemy group?

wonder about that right now because i have a small night ambush mission schedueled for making next week biggrin_o.gif

@ Gunterlund:

Quote[/b] ]

Mission is looking good Keycat. Arty is much more manageable.

Sounds good!

Quote[/b] ]

Question.

Should troops start in a helo and does the helo have to be empty.

You do the same as with vehicles. Start empty then have troops get in by entering "this moveinCargo chopper" in the soldiers init field.

@ Commando84:

Quote[/b] ]

do all group leaders that are on the ground have the ability to fire flares during night or is it only officers?

and also can a a.i that gets to be leader fire flares when he they discover the enemy group?

Yes and yes.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Hi Keycat thanks for the reply. Im testing the helo sequence and starting a group inside the helo. Now the theory is the helo sholul land near the target and everyone should bail out or they should parachute out of the helo correct. Now if they parachute what happens to the pilot who happens to also be the leader of the group. The first mission I tried the helo stopped about half way in route and I dont know if it just stopped or it hit a mountain. Im using markers to track troop movement so all I know is the marker stopped moving. It seems the ai has a problem clearing trees, hills etc on the map Im using.

Quote[/b] ]

Now if they parachute what happens to the pilot who happens to also be the leader of the group.

He stays in the helicopter if you used the right soldier class (i.e pilot).

Quote[/b] ]

The first mission I tried the helo stopped about half way in route and I dont know if it just stopped or it hit a mountain. Im using markers to track troop movement so all I know is the marker stopped moving. It seems the ai has a problem clearing trees, hills etc on the map Im using.

There are some known issues with AI helicopters (see README.TXT) most of the times they do what they should but sometimes not. Most likely we have to live with it since it seems to be an "OFP engine thing" just like the cars/trucks getting stuck at objects now and then....

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)