Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Flashpoint Community Hardware Specs.

Howdy Folks,

We would like to collect information regarding the current system specs of Flashpoint gamers to help with development.

Of course the first step to is deciding the best way to do it, what may be best for us may not be best for you, so there are essentially two ways to go about it.....

1. Small application: based on the existing "Flashpoint preferences" (which already detects some of your hardware), in theory it would be adapted/modified to collect some additional hardware data then a .txt file created from it which you then Email to us. (one advantage is it could also be a good way of collecting simple system specs for posting on the forums if you have troubleshooting issues).

2. Web form: I'm sure you've all completed a thousand, you'd go to our website, complete the details from multiple choice answers or if you have to choose "other" you would type the information manually, then you click "submit" and the information is sent to us direct.

I think time wise they should both be pretty equal, perhaps the application will take a little less time because the only manual part would be running it then sending the Email to us smile_o.gif

<s>I decided to make this poll only because it should be pretty straight forward,</s> any questions please PM me or send an Email to Placebo@bistudio.com

i voted for the small application because this way we all could also add our flashpoint .rpt´s to the email to give more bug/crash-hunting input for you guys at bis  biggrin_o.gif

LOL ok I can't have made it poll only crazy_o.gif Ahh well, fate has decided wink_o.gif

i voted for the small application because this way we all could also add our flashpoint .rpt´s to the email to give more bug/crash-hunting input for you guys at bis biggrin_o.gif

Well I added that point about a dual purpose for helping with troubleshooting as an afterthought, the primary purpose of this is to get an idea as to the current system specs of Flashpoint gamers smile_o.gif

Application thingy sounds better since there are loads of n00bs around here who couldnt tell the difference between a motherboard and their mothers vegie chopping board tounge_o.gif , it'd be tough for them to write up all the longass VGA card names and model number/letters and so forth.

How about both btw? But i like the small application part most games already have such things dont they like Max Payne 2?

Yeah I'm sure you want to get system specs from gamers of all types. Better to use the web form.

Isn't there a way to ping our computers for this type of info?

Application thingy sounds better since there are loads of n00bs around here who couldnt tell the difference between a motherboard and their mothers vegie chopping board tounge_o.gif , it'd be tough for them to write up all the longass VGA card names and model number/letters and so forth.

I agree, sending a .txt is much easier and could give more information. wink_o.gif

Exact the same here smile_o.gif

Maybe I'm just lazy, but sending a txt file sounds like too much work. crazy_o.gif Much easier to just fill out something online.

yeah but i have a an odd ball system thats probably wouldnt be covered by an online forum as i have a dual xeon system which i doubt many others have.

but i would rather have a web based one than txt document asuming the web based one had plenty of options smile_o.gif

Maybe I'm just lazy, but sending a txt file sounds like too much work.  crazy_o.gif Much easier to just fill out something online.

And as if waiting for the website to load and then filling it and then submitting it wont take anytime? tounge_o.gif

Maybe I'm just lazy, but sending a txt file sounds like too much work.  crazy_o.gif Much easier to just fill out something online.

x2, i dont want to be bothered running and sending something, just put a form somewhere for us to type our specs, maybe something like some sort of pool rock.gif .

Question!

Why would bis like to know our current specs if OPF2 only comes 2 years from now (maybe), by that time most of us will have already upgraded rock.gif .

Question!

Why would bis like to know our current specs if OPF2 only comes 2 years from now (maybe), by that time most of us will have already upgraded rock.gif .

That's what I would like to know rock.gif

Do I smell a new addon pack? tounge_o.gif

We would like to collect information regarding the current system specs of Flashpoint gamers to help with development.

Just to clarify smile_o.gif

Just to clarify smile_o.gif

Development of what? rock.gifwink_o.gif

Development of what?   rock.gif  wink_o.gif

Maybe they want to estimate what HW we will be running 2+ years from now rock.gif .

We are a sample of what OPF players like and have, makes perfect sense.

Development of what?   rock.gif  wink_o.gif

Maybe they want to estimate what HW we will be running 2+ years from now rock.gif .

We are a sample of what OPF players like and have, makes perfect sense.

Yeah they wanna know how much mullah we are ready to spend on our PC's tounge_o.gif , maybe i might be a bit rich enough in 2 years to buy a decent PC + GFcard for OFP2 sad_o.gif

I prefer webbased for several reasons.

Some of us are about to buy new systems or upgrade theirs within the next few weeks (especially after christmas) so I assume that instead of checking the current system you should let each player himself to assess which systems they will use for "upcoming" software, may it be for the near or far future.

Secondly I guess most of us know their own system specs pretty well, so no problem to fill out the relevant questions.

A web based solution could also be more interesting. After having finished a questionaire each player could then see a statistic on the last page on where his system stands in comparison to all other OFP-players. This is good motivation to foster participation.

And lastly, I think it is logical that more people can be accessed through a web-based solution than through a tool that has to be downloaded.

Yeah they wanna know how much mullah we are ready to spend on our PC's  tounge_o.gif , maybe i might be a bit rich enough in 2 years to buy a decent PC + GFcard for OFP2   sad_o.gif

i'm pretty sure Al Qaeda has plenty of jobs to offer...or CIA. tounge_o.gif

anyways, I voted for web-based.

Yeah they wanna know how much mullah we are ready to spend on our PC's  tounge_o.gif , maybe i might be a bit rich enough in 2 years to buy a decent PC + GFcard for OFP2   sad_o.gif

i'm pretty sure Al Qaeda has plenty of jobs to offer...or CIA. tounge_o.gif

anyways, I voted for web-based.

Yeah ralph but they dont come with life insurance and i dont wanna die before playing OFP 2 tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Some of us are about to buy new systems or upgrade theirs within the next few weeks (especially after christmas) so I assume that instead of checking the current system you should let each player himself to assess which systems they will use for "upcoming" software, may it be for the near or far future.

But the whole point is what you have RIGHT NOW and not what you MIGHT have isnt it? They are running the queries now they wont be of any use to them later on when they go in to dev mode since they are trying to assess the HW situation right now and then estimate what people might have later on , beside it could be used by people to mislead BIS in to thinking anything they want after all who knows what i got except for my word on a form , and i cant imagine what might happen if someone accidently pushes the SUBMIT form button 2-3 time ... *shudders* unless they make it in a way like first register then post in your form so your duplicate wont be accepted.

Quote[/b] ]A web based solution could also be more interesting. After having finished a questionaire each player could then see a statistic on the last page on where his system stands in comparison to all other OFP-players. This is good motivation to foster participation.

I like this idea though. smile_o.gif

19 - 19 .... great! tounge_o.gif

Placebo, one more thing:

Quote[/b] ]Acecombat@previous post

i might be a bit rich enough in 2 years to buy a decent PC + GFcard for OFP2

i am going to upgrade in spring 2006 too... and i'm not the only one i believe wink_o.gif .

anyhow, voted for that web-based thingy...

I voted "web based thingy", and for all the hardware "noobs" there are tools like aida32 (freeware) to check what stuff you are playing with.

MfG Lee wink_o.gif

same for me

I'm just to lazy to write down all my specs in one textfile *yawn*

I never liked the idea of applications on my computer collecting infos and sending them to 3rd parties , whatever infos they can use (there are already plenty of those things floating everywhere) and i will not contribute to that survey if BIS use such procedure.

So web based is my vote.

I prefer the application, however I must say, my current comp is not up to spec and I am planning to buy a new one if BIS should decide to release OFP2 or any new expansion to OFP1.

So in other words, any info from me would be outdated wink_o.gif

decisions decisions, i can't decide. probably leaning towards the "small app", but if that works out we'll see when its done wink_o.gif

imo the web survey would be excruciatingly easy over the small app wink_o.gif